Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress [LP CYOA] I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Mar 15, 2019.

1. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    The TSM (treave shared multiverse) is real.

Wait a minute... does that make this the Hobo Raider's origin adventure?

^ Top  
  2. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Oh, that one. They weren't called Gundam though, IIRC.

Also this, check it out for changes.

The moon is filled with floating spheres and lolis!

^ Top  
  3. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    As long as our stats screen doesn't read "Physical God", we ain't powerful enough

Let's talk with them!

Which moon, through?

We know of at least four universes:
    Spoilers for people who haven't read the old treave LPs. You should be ashamed of yourself and repent by reading them right now (open)

1. Epic Earth, or Ankida-Earth. The real one I mean. Let's call this Earth-1.

1.2. Epic Simulation Universe. The universal simulation inside the previous.

2. Legend-verse. That is, assuming its not a previous iteration of the Epicverse. I think its not, because its clearly an alternate universe closer to ours, while Epic Earth clearly diverged from ours in Ancient Sumeria. Let's call it Earth-2.

3. Overlord-verse. Which is a fantasy universe. I suspect we're here right now, but this one seems a bit more magi-tech than Overlord-verse.

4. Superhero Universe. Home of Hobo Raider. I suspect this is where we are from.

Note to self: I gotta read up Spiral.

^ Top  
  4. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister
    So, basically, we're becoming Sunabouzu with an Iron Man suit? :thumbsup:
    Let's make our own Gund-... ahem, robot suit. Consequently I have a question, how feasible is to start making toys based on these armor suits? Could make a decent profit.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Agreed, not sure if it's good compared with Legend, and how stupid the Codexian hivemind on average is. I suppose I'll see it when I read it. I don't like Corpse Party, which is the main inspiration for the CYOA, but it should be better than that game at least.

^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hoo boy

^ Top  
  7. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Looks like that's an unfortunate trend. Treave's Quests are better than average, but it doesn't help when the choices are unclear about what they do, they have unexpected and hilariously lethal consequences... Or the voters pick dumb stuff.

^ Top  
  8. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    Mech building seems to be the way to go.
    Also for Azira's sake, when you have spare time work up some sort of concealable wrist-mounted laxative injection system. Never know when it might come in handy. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. CappenVarra phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    some patience young hobo, learn their secrets a bit more before moving on

^ Top  
  10. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Learn their secrets, but also take the opportunity to learn magic while you're at it. If the existing magic armors aren't good enough to handle full-blown mages, then we should try to invent an armor that can (but we need to learn more first). I'm all for learning but MC should be a bit more proactive about obtaining and trading knowledge instead of just depending on what we observe at the junkyard. It's important to develop a solid skillset to handle this magic world. Maybe we can moonlight elsewhere to be a janitor at a mage academy or mage compound or something (also, the junk mages will throw away can be a great asset to us). And while we're at it we can save up a bit for some brief rudimentary tutoring. Treave, is this possible?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Sorry, had to return to real life for a bit. Regarding janitoring at a mage academy, there's none in this city. There are mages around but they're hired in a personal capacity by each of the workshops. You'll probably pick up enough rudimentary magic just by sticking around a workshop and learning. Looks like the vote's in highly favour of building your own scrap metal armor, but what about the part where you either show it to the guild or try to sell it in secret?

This format seems pretty unwieldy still, I'm considering switching it to a more traditional narrative with the ol' labeled choices.

^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    That may work better to pool opinion faster and get conversation going.

For the time being, I say sell our armour around, but don't undercut so much that we start racking up sales and attracting attention. Everybody will find out if there's new armour half the price of everybody else. Instead we can try to target the edge cases who can't get their armour by normal means, sell at a bit of a discount, and if our stuff functions well, build up a clientele. No use producing landmark innovation if it turns out our superior's going to just take the credit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    This.

^ Top  
  14. baud Savant

baud
    This too. Undercutting too much might be dangerous

^ Top  
  15. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Why sell the armor? We should keep it for emergencies, clearly. They don't take kindly strangers and if magic is common, we need a way to defend ourselves.

^ Top  
  16. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    I still say we stick around and learn more secrets before we sell armors or shit. Are we in any rush right now?

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Show it off. You are unlikely to get it right from the first try, so just make it a point that you have the skills worthy of note, and maybe they will finally explain to you what a mana converter is. Then you can make something worth selling.

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Still in the midst of reworking the format, trying to figure out if I should make the stats really matter, dealing with the all important matter of pronouns, making sure the new direction we're going in will still mesh with the previous updates, and also our protagonist doesn't even have a name yet. Plus real life's catching up for a bit, sadly. This will be on hiatus for another two weeks, it will be fine by then and I will make it fine even if it isn't, goddammit.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    what can change the nature of a hobo?

^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hobo Rider be too cool for names.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Scruffy. His name ought be Scruffy.[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I liked the free-form format. It should help us prevent random dead ends such as being shot repeatedly on the eye because someone overreacted to a comment of a protagonist which made him go mad, despite the latter being a superhuman agent with elite skills.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    SPHERE DIPLOMACY

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)