Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed [LP CYOA] I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    B

^ Top  
  2. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  3. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    We sound a lot more confident in its ability to take a beating or dole one out than to hightail it out of here, but we may want to consider what we do with our arm if it gets chopped off.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A Challenge

“Hey, hey, let’s not be hasty here!” Holding my hands up, I step in front of Georgios and the woman. “I can assure you, lady, this isn’t junk. And if you let me, I’ll prove it.”

She glares at me, unimpressed and unamused.

“I’m afraid not. The Junkyard has been slipshod for far too long thanks to people like you.”

“What about people like me?”

“People like you ensure that we’ll never outgrow the name Junkyard, that our guild will never see any actual success in the arena. Well, that’s about to change, and if you don’t dismantle that scrap armor like I tell you, you won’t be a part of it.”

I’m surprised by her reply. I had assumed that the Junkyard was fine with scamming rookie gladiators with the actual junk they put together and call armor, but I guess she’s aiming for bigger things. That’s… pretty interesting, I would say. My interest slightly piqued, I turn to Georgios and ask, “Wait, boss, who’s the chick again? Someone important?”

His response is to slap the back of my head. “Sorry, lil miss, I’ll get him to take this thing down and clear up the warehouse.”

“Hey! Wait! You can’t just… wait, I know, you’re just chicken, aren’t ya?”

Both Georgios and the woman seem puzzled.

“Chicken…? What do you mean?” she asks, frowning. “Are you implying something rude?”

“Uh, guess there’s some sort of bug in the language skill…. Uh, pussy?”

Her frown deepens. “Pus…sy?”

“Oh, say that again, won’t you?” I blurt out. “Like you’re out of breath.”

The woman’s eyes flash with unrestrained hostility. “I’ve had just about enough of this farce. Georgios, get this warehouse cleaned up.”

“Aye, lil miss. Will do.”

“No, wait! I meant to call you a bloody coward!” I shout.

“What? What is wrong with you!”

It looks like I’m not endearing myself to her any time soon. Nothing to it but to double down.

“Yeah, that’s what I said. You said it just now, didn’t you? You want bigger and better things for the Junkyard. You want to win in the arena. You want this guild to be known for something besides being a purveyor of cheap junk to talentless hacks. Well, if that’s the case, then you’re a coward for not giving this armor a chance. That’s your chance at victory flying away, right there, lady. Flap flap!”

The woman gives me a disgusted gaze as I flap my arms like wings, running in circles. “You’re insane,” she mutters.

“Maybe I am. But look at me. Look into my eyes.” I suddenly close in on her and clap my hands on her shoulders. Before she can escape, I lean in close, staring into her blue eyes. “I might be mad, but do I look like I’m lying?”

She freezes up like a deer in the headlights, unable to move. One of the tricks of being a successful hobo is to stare at people until they go away or give you what you want, and I put every ounce of charm I have in attempting to mesmerize her with my gaze. She still looks pretty good this close. Maybe not as beautiful as that princess I tripped over five seconds into my arrival in this world, but she’d turn heads even in my old world.

“G-Get away from me!” After what seems like an eternity of gazing into each other’s eyes, she pushes me away and adjusts her clothes. “I can’t believe the nerve of you!”

“But do you think I’m lying?” I ask again.

“W-Well, you seem confident in the performance of that pile of scrap. But that doesn’t mean anything. There are plenty of people who are confident but can’t back it up.”

“I can. Just give me one shot. I’ll show you. It won’t cost you anything. I’ll even move the armor out of this warehouse right now if you want. Just give me that chance.” I say, more serious than I have been in ages, hoping to move her with my sincerity. I look straight into her eyes again. I haven’t pushed this hard ever since the Great Bargain Sale Wars of Shulgi Park. If this doesn’t work, I’m all out of persuasive strength.

The woman falls silent, combing back her long black hair. Then, she sighs, and speaks. “Fine. You get one demonstration.” Then, she gives me a nasty grin. “I mentioned that we’re getting a new gladiator, didn’t I? You can fight her and the best armor the Junkyard has to offer. Let’s have the match tomorrow night.”

“Sure thing,” I smile, rubbing my hands together. “So who’ll be my gladiator?”

“Your gladiator? That is none of my business,” she snorts, turning to leave. “Georgios. If he loses, I want him out of the guild, together with the usual penalty applied for stealing. Since he’s that confident, he needs to be prepared for at least this much punishment, right?”

The woman leaves, and Georgios groans in annoyance. “You’ve been a good worker, boy, but I have no idea what possessed you to act like that. Miss Celia’s not gonna let you go easy.”

“Oh, so she’s called Celia,” I muse. “Nice name.”

“You really don’t know her? Celia, the daughter of the guildmaster?”

“Uh, well…” I was too busy studying how to build armors to pay any attention to anyone, unfortunately.

“Ain’t nothing of that matters now anyway. Hope you got a gladiator lined up, or you’re going out there in your own armor. If you wanna run, now’s the time. That’s the most I can do for ya.”

A. I need to find a gladiator, and quick. The match is tomorrow night. This city is full of those seeking to get into the arena. Surely I can find a willing guinea pig. The only question is where I should go to find one…
    1. Hit up the streets. That’s where the poorest and most desperate gladiators are, and I should be able to get someone fairly easily.
    2. Go to the arena office, where gladiators are registered. I might be able to wheedle information from the clerks about any potential gladiators receptive to my advances.
    3. Go to the bars. Drinks help negotiations, and someone drunk enough might be willing to help.

B. I’ll just have to do this myself. I will need to tinker with the armor until right before the match; even then, I definitely can’t operate this armor at full potential. But I should be able to use that time to cobble together a weapon that can be used without plentiful reserves of mana:
    1. A large metal disc attached to a thick chain. I can toss it to smash shit up and use the chain to trip opponents up, though it’ll need all of my skill to use.
    2. A hydraulic pike. It stores energy generated from the armor’s movement to unleash a destructive pile bunker. Needs quite some time to charge up, though.
    3. A giant shovel. I’m very used to handling shovels. One could say that I’m an expert shoveler. It’s nothing fancy, but I can rely on my shovel-fu to carry me through the fight.

C. Yeah, no, this is too much of a hassle. Time to cut and run!

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  6. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    A shoveler reference?? Gotta jump for that one! Most seriously yes!

B3

^ Top  
  7. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    B3 but can you let us know just how much us piloting it versus someone else will effect the mechs performance?

^ Top  
  8. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    [​IMG]

Let’s keep digging!

B3

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I think that the trick here is that we just need to do well enough for our demonstration fight. Enlisting an experienced gladiator to fight for us might be a bad idea, because it will raise the expectations of our audience.

But if an untrained dilettante (us) does a passable job wearing that armour, then we will have demonstrated its efficacy.

Bandwagon3, I think it's best to stick with a familiar tool for our first fight.

^ Top  
  10. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Bx. Nobody else has the BELIEF that we need for the armour to succeed! We must have FAITH!

The tool that we choose should surely depend on the opponent, though. treave we must have observed enough about typical armour design & tactics for junkyard folks now. Do they tend to favour up close and personal combat? Mobility is mentioned as the key going fad right now, and we're going to be criminally outrun and out-dexterity'd. So I don't think the recharging pike will work, but maybe tripping people up is the way?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Ehh Celia did say to apply the regular punishment “if he loses” without qualification so there’s a chance of that going poorly, though I agree that how strictly they are could be proportional to how well we fight in practice. Doing better is also more likely to get us an in with another guild even if this one only wants our arm in the end.

^ Top  
  12. Kabas Arbiter Patron

Kabas
    That persuasion attempt went way better than expected

Common sense of this world dictates that mech's armor only works somewhat against ranged bolts and is useless in melee, our hero is confident that he solved this issue.
    I doubt that those fancy fast and agile mechs will be able to do anything at all with their puny bolts as they don't usually pack a magical cannons judging by Georgios's reaction, so they will eventually be forced to engage in melee where they are in for a nasty surprise.

I will follow the hivemind and vote the B3, even though the impractical and hard to use chaindisk is way cooler and hydraulic pike's charging time shouldn't be an issue with our armor if we can get the timing right.

We should also keep in mind that we might face some unexpected trouble if this junkyard champion also doesn't follow the fads.

^ Top  
  13. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  14. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    I'll join the others on the Bandwagon3

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    ^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Our hobo has fuck-all experience with these armors in particular, but won't trip and fall on his face in the first five seconds at least. Basic movement is possible.

Close combat is preferred, yes. Most knights turn out to not be very good shots.

^ Top  
  16. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
  18. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    I'll stick with my vote than. After all, we will be fighting a female pilot. I wonder if we can claim her as a prize when we whoop that ass?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    A1 We need someone desperate enough to pilot this. And I'm pretty sure that as an experienced hobo, our guy has an eye for what's the right kind of poor and desperate fighter who can pilot this.

Failing that, my ranked preference is B4 Fancy net and shitty club: A giant, hard to break, and fucking heavy net we can launch at our enemy and a primitive club (or metal pipe or whatever) to beat them while they're down.

EDIT: Vote's A1>A3>B4

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    B3
    we will probably lose embarrassingly but only we can demonstrate the capabilities of our mech, which handles differently than regular gladiators expect.

^ Top  
  21. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    Isn't acquiring a harem of adoring women a staple of that kind of anime? (I've never watched any, I've just heard it once or twice)

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Huh who wha--

Oh.

Well, the mech is slow, but has two things going for it, thick armor and two cannons. Which we can't operate. Meaning we'd need someone else to make the most of it. Now, who'd be insane enough to get in an untried prototype robot? Are there any japanese teens with daddy issues we can coopt?

A. I need to find a gladiator, and quick. The match is tomorrow night. This city is full of those seeking to get into the arena. Surely I can find a willing guinea pig. The only question is where I should go to find one…
    3. Go to the bars. Drinks help negotiations, and someone drunk enough might be willing to help.

If not, start looking for men with impaired decision skills. Who knows, maybe there is a drunken master in there somewhere!

...and I am curious about playing a protagonist who isn't the first to volunteer for whatever heroic duty the plot expects of them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    B1.

The shovel sounds like a meme and little else.

It's back! I'll have to re-read everything, but this story should be way more fun compared to the endless drivel of Worm x Madoka pedobear commie-friendly crap plus a stronk ugly female protagonist (TM) shit found at SV and partially SB.

Also: Not-EVA fins, magic cannons, black mecha, weaponized black holes... I bet there are more references I missed.

^ Top