Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One more vote, and we can move on to DDCC to resolve the tie between DC and DDC. :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Maybe I should just combine all the backgrounds and motivations? :M

A lazy, orphaned noble with a materialistic streak but a righteous heart who was a child soldier that is picked up by a master swordsman, spending part of his training with the Order of the White Falcon, thanks to his master's connections, and his free time as an avid scholar on his own.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Maybe I should just combine all the backgrounds and motivations? :M
Nah, this was just a highly attractive mix that at least some people who voted for either variant could actually agree on. It retains the traits of both that made us choose them in the first place.

I don't really object to 2D, but I'd hate to lose 2C as a motivation. For people like me, this is a fine compromise.

And the description is awesome, too. :salute:

A lazy, orphaned noble with a materialistic streak but a righteous heart who was a child soldier that is picked up by a master swordsman, spending part of his training with the Order of the White Falcon, thanks to his master's connections, and his free time as an avid scholar on his own.
Does not work. Too much time spent on bettering oneself for such a lazy person. :M

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, I would like to say yes, but that's basically opening up every manner of combination to be voted on. If that is the case, we might fare better just combining everything and finding a suitable balance between all the traits.

Does not work. Too much time spent on bettering oneself for such a lazy person. :M

He's minimizing his long-term effort by studying how to be efficient. :M

ScubaV

Prophet
I guess it really depends on how the personality is initially and then how we evolve it. Pretty much every protagonist except maybe Dio has had some degree of awkwardness to a lesser (Ean/Jing) or greater extent (Senya/Spiral guy). I'm fine with the DD/DDC archetypes in principle, but I think they will too easily lend themselves to an overlord who spends all his time spying on his advisors in the bath rather than, you know, overlording, especially in the Codex's hands.

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
I think you mean inventing a scrying orb with the same refractive index as water and installing them in all the bath houses so we can spy from the comfort of our armchair while overlording.

Esquilax

Arcane
The idea of an evil Overlord being some cranky old pervert who just wants to be left alone to pursue research and bed the occasional wench is just a wonderful setup. But honestly, all of these are great anyways.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think you mean inventing a scrying orb with the same refractive index as water and installing them in all the bath houses so we can spy from the comfort of our armchair while overlording.
Little will the world know that every single cunning plan and invention we use against them was originally made to spy on naked women. This will be glorious.

Nevill

Arcane
He's minimizing his long-term effort by studying how to be efficient. :M
Uh-huh. I bet he is also fond of saying 'It's not like I love hard work, b-baka!' to himself. :M

I'm fine with the DD/DDC archetypes in principle, but I think they will too easily lend themselves to an overlord who spends all his time spying on his advisors in the bath rather than, you know, overlording, especially in the Codex's hands.
His advisors will just have to learn to recite 'Overlording 101' while bathing. Problem solved.

Anyway, we are just deciding on a hero now. It's too early to say how the Overlord will turn out from such a starting point, even though we hope he retains some of the hero's traits and drives.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I don't really care for the DDC character description, though I'm fine with DC and DD. I'll keep rooting for DC>DD>DDC, but I'll be okay even if DDC takes it now that we've avoided the mercenary.

Jester

Arbiter
Villains in bad fiction tend to be one sided and get defined in end by one trait that makes them who they are.
FTFY.
We talking Treave here your objection is overruled.
Someone who considers himself (or ends considering himself) beyond good and evil.
Incidentally, the people you hear that thing from usually tend to be villains and anti-heroes. :M

Still, I think any villain that you get to play is bound to look believable and realistic, since you would be the one making rationalizations for their actions. :lol:
Even if they would not believe it such explanations its more likely heroes will hesitate to end good villains. :lol:

Personally i am most afraid about becoming "good and correct" person that sound to close to Hitler, or middle ages church. Either way quite a scum bag.

Discworld Vetinari objectively speaking could be considered a power hungry manipulative bad guy, but the way he could make everything fall into place make him beyond good and evil. He was all about making things work. If we just would manage such level of down to earth AWESOMENESS, unfortunately we are but a miserable pile of Butthurt, lulz and yolo. +M

General Tarquin: If I win - I get to be a king. If I lose, I get to be a legend.
I guess I might have been influenced a little. :oops:
You was truly influenced by a GREAT MAN. Evil yes, but GREAT and charismatic. There is nothing to be ashamed of. :salute:

Of and flop DDC>DC.

wjw

Augur
Ill vote DC on the original character. He might turn out a bit like Los Pollos Hernanos from Breaking Bad, who is an excellent villain overlord. Not morally bad. Not good either. Efficient but with a strong bondable human side. Can be cruel when necessary.

Cassidy

Arcane
DDC? The Slacker Pervert: You like women, you like money, you like success, but more than anything else, you like to expend effort thinking up ways to get all the lovely things you like without effort. They call you the most hardworking lazy scholar in the academy, but you prefer to think of it as minimizing effort in the long term.

iwd32.JPG

Changing my vote to /d/dc_meltdown

Tigranes

Arcane
The DDC cannot be stopped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom