Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Pilgrimage

Holy Cow

PcCMgG2.jpg

It is the Fourth Era. For more than a hundred centuries mankind has ruled unopposed over the Underscape. It is master of this world by the will of the God and through the light of the First Flame. It has become a rotting carcass, stagnant and fearful of the encroaching Dhulma. Yet even in its last days, mankind continues its eternal struggle against the dark. The mighty Ashguard, touched by the blood of God, cross the whole of the ‘Scape hunting monsters and worse. The Church keeps the faith and sings hymns laced with a spark of the Flame that uplift even the spirits of those who cannot hear. The hidden few hold a Vigil over the fire, keeping an eye on the forsaken places of the world where darkness might seep through, though all know their task to be fruitless.

Once, the Underscape was a world of light. Now only a City of Light remains. Thrice was this land ravaged by strife until it was irreversibly broken. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been lost, never to be recovered. Forget the promise of sorcery and all it could bring, for its legacy is destruction and its practices purged. Now, among the ruins of the old civilizations all manner of men and women seek fortune in whatever way they can, only to be met with disappointment and despair. To be alive in such times is to be one amongst few. It is to live in the coldest and bleakest time in human history. As the sun dims and the stars wink out one by one, all there is left to do is sing one last dirge for the Flame before it is finally snuffed out.

This is the tale of one such man, a pilgrim making his way to a mountain that is said to be the grave of Angels and the cradle of Man. Read on...

PROLOGUE: ASH MOUNTAIN
  1. Where do we come from?
  2. What are we?
  3. Where are we going?
  4. Right of passage
  5. Ash Mountain
CHAPTER 1: SEASON'S END
  1. Back to the shadow
  2. Fire and Blood
  3. Snow and Ash
  4. Shine a Light
  5. Heart of Darkness
  6. The Price of Living
  7. The Great Work
  8. At Arm's Length
  9. The Wild Hunt
  10. Summoning Dark
  11. The Darkness at the Threshold
  12. Fallen
  13. And Justice for All
CHAPTER 2: STEPPING STONES
  1. Last Day
  2. The Judge
  3. Crossroads
  4. The Ruins
  5. No Light But Rather Darkness Visible
  6. Parting Gifts
  7. Innocence
  8. The Slippery Slope¹
  9. Sufficient to stand but free to Fall
  10. Come and See
  11. End of the Line
  12. Fire Oath
  13. Expulsion of the Triumphant Beast
CHAPTER 3: ENDLESS WINTER
  1. Here Be Dragons
  2. Lull
  3. Unconquered Sun
  4. Tartarus
  5. Leviathan
  6. Breach

Fragments of the Pilgrim's diary

Pilgrim's tentative timeline of the Underscape
The Captain's Journal

¹ Written by Admiral jimbob

Character Sheet - WIP

The Pilgrim, First Legate of the Vigil

FPs: 3

Description - WIP: A man with skin the color of burnished copper, sunburnt and weathered. Average height and build, looks to be in his early fifties.

Traits - WIP:
Hardy, Jaded, Fire Animus, Hunted (Kinsfolk), Devil's Bargain (Hejirah), Damned (Hecatomb)

Skills:
All the necessary skills for his trade and profficient in sorcery.

Lores:
Botany, Occult, Ciphers, Alchemy, Medicine, Philosophy, Jurisprudence, Theology, Legends and Folklore, Sourcery, Daemonology, Spycraft, Geography

Inventory - WIP

Armor: - Full body Light Yatl mesh, Robes of Office (Enchanted), Steel Gorget, Steel Sallet

Weapons: - Blackstone Knife, Broken Blackstone Sword, Re-purposed Yatl Pistol, concealed one-shot flintlock, poisoned darts, blowpipe

Items: Dull Green Flask (Empty), Personal Diary, Broken Compass, Tarot Deck

Major Arcana - WIP

Map of the Reach Plains

tPpv8Ui.jpg

Map of the Mirthwater Valley

a2A9W8M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
So, the best thing ever is finally here.

I'll go with 6, time to get creative.

Boris

Educated
Queued
Will this feature
A. Beastiality
B. Rape
C. Murder
D. Romances
E. Teens
?
This is a very important question, answer immediately!!!

-edit-

Christ, how can you even start to build mood with this "a great bell tolls in the distance"? :lol:

-edit-

Is this a story about "the man"? :shakehead:
20vUC.jpg

You are writing prose here, right? Make a fucking effort...
BfbUP.jpg

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
I have no idea how useful being an accomplished amateur sailor will be when attempting the summit of a mountain of ash, but hell, I'll vote 5, too.

ScubaV

Prophet
I think I'll go 2, although the potential magic-inclination of 1 might sway me.

Flippity-flop to 1. I'd rather play an alchemist than a sailor.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
As an adventurer you're bound to end up wounded sooner or later and when that happens you'll want to know how to concoct healing balms.
Let's not die from an infected wound or pneumonia, shall we? 1)

Tigranes

Arcane
Drawing from the many examples we have (especially Vernydar’s RPG-lite), this is supposed to be far more personal and much less grand narrative than previous ones I (or others) have done.

This better be exactly like Torment except better or I will bitch at you forever for donating my time and posts to your Kickstarter CYOA : x

Please let's not do the Warrior, Hunter or Tradesman this time. I say 1, though 5 is also cool.

Esquilax

Arcane
Wow, the picture and the atmosphere in the text are giving me serious Dark Souls vibes.

Gotta agree with Tigranes on this one, I'd prefer to avoid the standard Warrior or Diplomat archetypes. Sailor sounds different, but I like the Alchemist.

6) For potential to play as Garrett.

Fuck it, flopped to 5)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm going to agree with most others that 1 and 5 seem the most interesting.

I'm voting 1 because it's the underdog right now.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Clearly root means to tell you guys that true Men of the Sea can do ANYTHING.

eklektyk

Erudite
sailor as in : roaming ALONE seas of decline, fighting ALONE creatures of popemole??? that sailor be bitchin background ....

wanted go all alchemy on this one but 5 is just too good to pass [sorry]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom