Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nope, we'll be seeing the return of character creation. I've decided that Hobo Riders are made, not born. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cthulhu is sad. :(
Cthulhu_Emoticon_v1_0_by_salival.gif

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah. Character creation. Sweet. I look forward to 10 pages of discussion whether to go for this or that birthmonth and what template we should choose to min/max our stats. :yeah:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I just can't stop thinking... what a waste it was.

It was supposed to be my ideal CYOA. A Ryukishi07-esque mass-murder mystery where every question answered raises 10 new ones, and the revelations, when you finally put it all together, are as big as they come. So many loose ends to try and unravel this cobweb. So many skeletons in the closets to dig up. So many theories to come up with, test and discard.

So much potential, completely wasted on lulz and furries.
You are the one who voted A bro.

Of course, I am the one who voted to kill the dude, but it was still fixable in the last choice! :M

Nevill

Arcane
Do you really want to play Cthulhu with Codex? :M
We are pathetic at playing the villains, or even just egotistical and self-centered characters. Everyone who went this way ended up as a screw-up. Dio is on top of that list, but a few other actions from people who didn't have a perpetual moustache-twirling evildoer syndrome come to mind.

Codex only knows one way to victory, and that is though MAXIMUM FUCK, ORE GA MAMORU and self-sacrifice. Doesn't matter what the voters tell themselves or how much they try to cover it up - that's where most of our successes come from. Codex is always an hero at heart, and it shows.

I want to play a villain to scratch that Practical Incarnation itch - that at least a few of us have - with no regrets, so that we can have an example of what to avoid with a 'proper hero' type. I wonder how come they do not notice that PI was a complete and utter failure who didn't achieve any of his goals and lost everything in the end.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Codex only knows one way to victory, and that is though MAXIMUM FUCK, ORE GA MAMORU and self-sacrifice.

What this actually means is that Cthulhu Generations will be turned into a retread of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Playing a villain won't work. :M

Nevill

Arcane
What this actually means is that Cthulhu Generations will be turned into a retread of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
That's... not a bad thing to happen.

But I meant to play for the other team, and since the 'Dex is not likely to get his hands on someone as overpowered as Badass!Dio (not to be confused with Wormtongue!Dio), it is more likely to end quicker as well.

Playing a villain won't work. :M
We won't know until we try!! :happytrollboy:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Even then, I would expect the first 'evil' protag to turncoat in under three chapters and start fighting for great justice. :lol:

Anyway, my original three year-plan was to do Hero, Epic Gaiden: Steamknights, then Generations, but I'm open to suggestions.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, it's a bit of a pity that this LP never progressed to the Lovecraftian cosmic horror stage, because that's what the Maiden of the Dead (not the Maiden/Witch) is.

Baltika9

Arcane
Just put it up to a vote.
Generations>Hero.
Hobo Rider will get to make babies too, right?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Also, it's a bit of a pity that this LP never progressed to the Lovecraftian cosmic horror stage, because that's what the Maiden of the Dead (not the Maiden/Witch) is.
hey, it could still end like that. We still have a murderer who knows the ritual in our subconscious. We're still in an alternate reality where I'm guessing the ritual is possible. My point is, there is always room to come back and do a sequel. Classic anime tropes of an amnesiac hero in denial while a string of brutal murders occur within the city. An investigator and a nosey schoolgirl hot on his tail.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah. Well... :negative:

What is this Epic Gaiden? A continuation of a Springtime of Lies? Is there a Legend Gaiden in the works?

3. Tower:
A dungeon crawl up a mysterious, hundred kilometer high monolith that appeared mysteriously one day in 21st century Earth. More traditional, less gimmickry. What I'm going to do, though, is to generate a party of seven with personalities, skills, ambitions and backstories based on choices. Then we vote for a main, and finally we run the CYOA and see how each character plays off the other. Should a character die, we vote for the next one to be the main, and continue moving through it until we reach the top or the party is wiped.
I wonder, did anything become of this idea? It sounds absolutely delicious.

Baltika9

Arcane
That 'student turned pimp' thing.
Or an EPIC sequel where we play a citizen of the Old (New?) Earth integrating itself into the new world.
Cyberpunk Wuxia.
I dunno, what interests you?

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, I meant this, actually.
5. Multiplayer:
This idea reverses the Tower concept and places pre-created characters in the hands of multiple players. The characters have been kidnapped and wake up amnesiac in a deserted experimental facility, and have to work together to escape. They find that they have been implanted with some form of technology that allows them uncontrolled telepathy, meaning that whatever they think will be broadcasted to each other. This means choices for each of the characters will all be public, as are the discussions leading up to it. As a group sometimes they will be required to make a single choice together, at other times each will be given separate choices on how to react to a situation, depending on the character they have.
But I guess there are less regulars who could consistently vote and more of those who come from time to time but still would like to participate, somehow.

I'd love to see something like this, but the 'Dex might not be the best place to run it.

Everything on the list looks fun, even the Dice Roll (though the butthurt potential for that one is through the roof)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A continuation of a Springtime of Lies? Is there a Legend Gaiden in the works?

Yes. No.

3. Tower:
A dungeon crawl up a mysterious, hundred kilometer high monolith that appeared mysteriously one day in 21st century Earth. More traditional, less gimmickry. What I'm going to do, though, is to generate a party of seven with personalities, skills, ambitions and backstories based on choices. Then we vote for a main, and finally we run the CYOA and see how each character plays off the other. Should a character die, we vote for the next one to be the main, and continue moving through it until we reach the top or the party is wiped.
I wonder, did anything become of this idea? It sounds absolutely delicious.

Actually, I was going to integrate the tower into the superhero setting, with towns and cities forming within the tower itself.

That 'student turned pimp' thing.
Or an EPIC sequel where we play a citizen of the Old (New?) Earth integrating itself into the new world.
Cyberpunk Wuxia.
I dunno, what interests you?

I dunno what interests me at the moment, though I feel like I need to just keep writing. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
How would you feel about making a historical CYOA?
Say, a Germanic warlord during the fall of Rome, see if we can beat Odoacer in land-grabbing.
Or a Varangian Guard LP, fighting for riches and glory under the King of the Greeks.
Maybe something Renaissance, like Conquistadors in the New World?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom