Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Test-Run

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jul 7, 2015.

1. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    i can get off on w/e

^ Top  
  2. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
    Overlord>Superhero>Multiplayer here

^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I don't care which one we go with, to be honest. I'm up for whatever.

^ Top  
  4. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Here's something:
    Show Spoiler

^ Top  
  6. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    I'm gonna go ahead and formalize my vote to Overlord>Semi-Continuation>superhero since it isn't a direct continuation, no one is voting for it and since my character would probably just get murdered again...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    Is someone counting the votes for the meta cyo-cyoa?

Are a couple people going to flop?

Are we entering endless discuss?

Is the beginning of the next cyoa in fact going to be an ending and thus causing butthurt and requests for treave to reload?

^ Top  
  8. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I would like a multiplayer CYOA where each of us represent an early American top-hat congressman trying to make it to Philadelphia for the vote on which CYOA to play, but we have to deal with the roving buffalo bandits, undead flesh-eating tea-sacks and Injuns on the way.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    *sigh*

Show Spoiler
    ScubaV Overlord > Multiplayer > Superpowers
    Baltika9 Overlord > Multiplayer > Superpowers
    Tigranes W/e
    Azira Superpowers > Overlord > Multiplayer
    Kipeci Overlord > Superpowers > Multiplayer
    Nevill Overlord > Multiplayer > Superpowers
    asxetos Superpowers > Overlord > Multiplayer
    wjw Overlord
    Kz3r0 Superpowers
    Rex Feral Superpowers > Overlord > Multiplayer
    a bear named spigot W/e
    m4davis Overlord > Superpowers > Multiplayer
    Esquilax W/e
    Lambchop19 Overlord > Multiplayer > Superpowers
    TOME Overlord

Overlord - 8
    Superpowers - 4

You got it all wrong. The butthurt is what causes new CYOAs, not the other way around. It's simple thermodynamics.

^ Top  
  10. wjw Augur

wjw
    Overlord, sure.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hmm. We've seen a 'haunted hospital' and an 'island facility' as examples of isolated CYOA worlds. What other examples are there that would suit this definition? A quarantined city, perhaps? An underground vault?

Can something like a transcontinental train (a la 'Baccano!' and 'The Last Express') work for CYOA purposes? Or would that be too stiffling?

^ Top  
  12. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I don't think there'll be a problem with a CYOA set entirely on a train/cruise ship/airship. But I must admit I'm having trouble thinking of a story arc for such a setting that doesn't involve investigation and/or a transportation disaster.

^ Top  
  14. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    During a trip on ship/train/plane a dimensional vortex is encountered, many adventures will happen then on strange worlds, the ship/train/plane being the only safe haven, among various dangers for the passengers not being on board as the ship/train/plane moves to another dimension.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Then it's not taking place solely on the transport anymore. You can do the same without dimensional shenanigans and just having wacky adventures at every port of call.

^ Top  
  16. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    A train enters a tunnell, the tunnell seems to have no end, additional wagons appears and disappears, strange creatures appears and disappears.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I kinda want to experience a critical situation that needs to be resolved before time X, with the clock constantly ticking. You know how much you have left, but you have no idea how close you actually are to your goal. Time X could be anything - until the train arrives to the destination, until the nuclear device in the vault goes off, or until a deadly virus takes over your body. A sense of urgency that is constantly driving you forward leaving you little time to think where you are actually going, because chances are, anywhere else would be better.

I dig this sense of impending catastrophe and drama on a border between life and death where you can feel your life trickling away from you with each passing second. :hug:

Spiral had an element of this where we knew we would be dead by 24:00, but it used it in a different way and by midpoint it abandoned the idea altogether.

A transportation disaster might be interesting as a premise, too, with different factions emerging from what was once whole, all with different ideas of what to do about the situation. This one is probably best played as a tension-packed survival adventure.

That is, basically, Spiral 2.0 :lol:

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Survival horror train? It'd just be a retread of Spiral, albeit more focused, though.

It'd work better as a chapter in a longer story, or a standalone short, I think. Something like this can be worked into any of the LPs. Overlord/Superheroes on a train, etc.

I think crashing the vehicle would tend to be the climax of said LP, regardless of whether it was intentional or a careless consequence. It's no longer a transportation LP afterwards. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Come to think of it, this could be achieved with some kind of time-traveling mechanics that would also provide a rationalization for restarts. A character would know that some Bad Shit (TM) is coming, but can they actually prevent it or avoid the worst of the damage?

Spiral had the elements of the Groundhog Day in it, though the 'Dex didn't seem to like them (or so was my impression). But, again, it was used differently there. Once the character remembered everything and could consciously take advantage of that fact, the repetitions stopped. So it's not like we've 'been there, done that'.

It probably would need some careful limitations imposed on the device so as not to turn it into a go-to solution.

Aye, the 'Dex loves dem trainwrecks. But can they do that IN SPACE?! :M

There could probably be some safeguards built in together with a big warning sign. Alternatively, you can't crash that which already has crashed. :lol:

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    You don't think this could warrant a separate story? I am thinking some of KID's novels here, like Ever17 or Remember11.

I suppose another LP could dedicate an arc to this, but then I doubt it could be properly explored as it wouldn't be the main theme of the story.

Oh. I just remembered a TV series I watched about two years ago, Stargate Universe. (IMDB link)

Not the best there is, I admit, but all the themes I want out of the transportation LP are there. Also, the vehicle is uncrashable by design. I think.

Hell, one could do an Alpha Centauri prequel by another name where all the factions woke up from the anabiosis one year too early. :M

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, we don't usually explore all alternate routes, unlike in VNs. A straight playthrough of a single route isn't very long. I'd estimate this (assuming a train) to last around 50 updates max, even exploring most possibilities, which is relatively short compared to Spiral's 110+, Legend's 170+, and Epic's 200 or so updates.

^ Top  
  22. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I think Escape from New York would be a good inspiration for a contained CYOA. Limited characters, focused goals, and a time limit. Or perhaps the new Mad Max movie as inspiration for a transportation focused one. I'd hate to see treave do one, though, because he's the only person who's actually seen lengthy stories through to completion.

Let some else attempt a short CYOA and maybe actually succeed. I've thougt about it myself but I'm too lazy to do much planning. I'd probably come up with a setting, a very broad arc, and then wing it and piss people off with poor c&c.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Overlord for me.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Also, are there settings that deal with alternative realities in the works? There is something about 'paths not taken' - a glimpse into 'what could have been', into a happier or perhaps a grittier and darker future or present, - that always fascinated me.

This could also serve as a decent mechanic for restarts, as there is an infinite number of parallel worlds, and one could simply continue with the same character in a slightly (or greatly) different surroundings. The setting could turn worse and worse as the worlds with happier potential futures lose their protagonists (it makes sense, right? If we die in our world, then our alter-egos in a lot of similar worlds would die in similar circumstances, and the worlds where we survive will have to have certain key differences. The memories of the 'old' world should persist, though, for added drama).

Me? I always wanted to see what Jing who took Yang Xue's teachings to heart and sacrificed Qilin's hand, or Ean that went along with the Masters' vision and submitted to the desire to KILL ALL TENTACLES, or the Jihadist Senya would look like... without actually doing it and committing to the path.* Yes, I am a yellow bastard, sue me. But I find it mesmerizing to see the depths to which a human being could fall... or the heigths it could rise to. A setting that incorporates alternate dimensions with alternate history would allow for such glimpses into our character's potential (or that of his companions'/nemeses'), or explore some of their sides that we never thought existed. You could do a lot of stunningly crazy things with this tool, especially if you let the dimensions interact between themselves with a certain degree of freedom.

That one little scene with Shinoseki Adachi from a neighbouring reality was the coolest thing ever. It would be nice to see more of this as an actual part of the story.

I suppose that is what I find attractive about time travel as well. To see the different states of the world (and perhaps to be the only one being able to recognize that and take credit for it).

* Or to see how Qilin/Yunzi/Bai trio copes with leading a Khaganate. Or to see what becomes of the Spheres if it was Shulgi who jumped the Rift after his beloved Sekhenun. Or a lot of other things that can never logically happen in a 'canon' world.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)