Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Test-Run

ScubaV

Prophet
I think Escape from New York would be a good inspiration for a contained CYOA. Limited characters, focused goals, and a time limit. Or perhaps the new Mad Max movie as inspiration for a transportation focused one. I'd hate to see treave do one, though, because he's the only person who's actually seen lengthy stories through to completion.

Let some else attempt a short CYOA and maybe actually succeed. I've thougt about it myself but I'm too lazy to do much planning. I'd probably come up with a setting, a very broad arc, and then wing it and piss people off with poor c&c.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, are there settings that deal with alternative realities in the works? There is something about 'paths not taken' - a glimpse into 'what could have been', into a happier or perhaps a grittier and darker future or present, - that always fascinated me.

This could also serve as a decent mechanic for restarts, as there is an infinite number of parallel worlds, and one could simply continue with the same character in a slightly (or greatly) different surroundings. The setting could turn worse and worse as the worlds with happier potential futures lose their protagonists (it makes sense, right? If we die in our world, then our alter-egos in a lot of similar worlds would die in similar circumstances, and the worlds where we survive will have to have certain key differences. The memories of the 'old' world should persist, though, for added drama).

Me? I always wanted to see what Jing who took Yang Xue's teachings to heart and sacrificed Qilin's hand, or Ean that went along with the Masters' vision and submitted to the desire to KILL ALL TENTACLES, or the Jihadist Senya would look like... without actually doing it and committing to the path.* Yes, I am a yellow bastard, sue me. But I find it mesmerizing to see the depths to which a human being could fall... or the heigths it could rise to. A setting that incorporates alternate dimensions with alternate history would allow for such glimpses into our character's potential (or that of his companions'/nemeses'), or explore some of their sides that we never thought existed. You could do a lot of stunningly crazy things with this tool, especially if you let the dimensions interact between themselves with a certain degree of freedom.

That one little scene with Shinoseki Adachi from a neighbouring reality was the coolest thing ever. It would be nice to see more of this as an actual part of the story.

I suppose that is what I find attractive about time travel as well. To see the different states of the world (and perhaps to be the only one being able to recognize that and take credit for it).

* Or to see how Qilin/Yunzi/Bai trio copes with leading a Khaganate. Or to see what becomes of the Spheres if it was Shulgi who jumped the Rift after his beloved Sekhenun. Or a lot of other things that can never logically happen in a 'canon' world.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Or to see what becomes of the Spres if it was Shulgi who jumped the Rift after his beloved Sekhenun. Or a lot of other things that can never logically happen in a 'canon' world.
I don't see that happening in any dimension.

Nevill

Arcane
I don't see that happening in any dimension.
Not even if Sekhie had coordinates for the Masters' world, which Shulgi is supposed to protect our own from? And since she jumped, there is no other way to get it but to retrieve her... ;)

It could happen. That's what cool about the whole idea.

Baltika9

Arcane
No, Shulgi is the one who chews you out for being a dumbass after he gets you out of your own mess*.

*Certain choices may prevent you from being rescued in the first place.

Nevill

Arcane
Shulgi admired Ean because deep in his heart he always was a YOLOWIZARD. :roll:

But you can only know that if you see the world where he indulges in his secret passion with your own eyes. :cool:

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, one of the most moving parts of Epic was when Ean's blind struggles and eventual heroic sacrifice (cough) inspired Shulgi to turn a new leaf and become Earth's protector.

Esquilax

Arcane
If we go the super-hero route, I'd love to play as a character who is somewhat gimped. If this is a setting where supers are looked down upon or hunted (i.e. Days of Future Past), maybe our taste for masochism will allow us to play as a deformed person with powers who can't easily hide their nature, and on top of that, didn't really win the Super Power Lottery either.

Actually, one of the most moving parts of Epic was when Ean's blind struggles and eventual heroic sacrifice (cough) inspired Shulgi to turn a new leaf and become Earth's protector.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I think that there were some things about Ean that Shulgi admired, but he was also probably in awe of how retarded he could be, Sphere Diplomacy being the prime example.

As for being Earth's protector, Shulgi still displayed a ruthless streak during Senya's initial arc. Shulgi always had a more calculated, big-picture view than Ean. The relationship between Shulgi and Ean improved as time went on, to the point where they were working together against Dio, but I don't think that Shulgi was ever "inspired" by Ean. If anything, I'd say that he was more inspired by Dio in the sense that it showed him what could happen in the face of unrestrained ambition.

Nevill

Arcane
See? He had it in him all along! :salute:

If Ean wasn't there to show him what one should ABSOLUTELY NOT do in any circumstances, I am sure we would have seen the advent of YOLOSHULGI.

He would be much more on point with his letters, too. Ares would have exploded right on the spot.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, are there settings that deal with alternative realities in the works? There is something about 'paths not taken' - a glimpse into 'what could have been', into a happier or perhaps a grittier and darker future or present, - that always fascinated me.

Originally planned for Part 2 of Epic. You can see remnants of the concept in Senya's reload mechanic. It was ultimately simplified for plot purposes, but the original concept had you shifting into ever more different worlds the more you died.

If we go the super-hero route, I'd love to play as a character who is somewhat gimped.

You would be able to pick your own power, so you could be someone with a great talent, someone with no powers at all, or even someone whose only ability is to emit copious amounts of sticky, white, fishy-smelling liquid from all over his body.

Baltika9

Arcane
But you can only know that if you see the world where he indulges in his secret passion with your own eyes. :cool:
"I never thought you could be a traitor, Ean."
"That is hardly my fault, Your Majesty." The calmness of his voice was an eerie contrast to the desperate screams of the drowning city beneath them.
"Just get it over with, boy!" Ean nodded his head respectfully and thrust his blade.
Had Sargon been younger, he would have stood a chance. But all he could do now was die with dignity, as an Akkadian king should. He raised his shield and braced.
"Not so fast, general!" Ean's sword fell as his hand was vaporized by a bolt of lightning.
"We had a deal, Shulgi."
"I only played along to learn of your plans, villain. I would never join with the likes of you!"
"Not entirely unexpected, you always were an idealist. But this won't change anything, Akkad is still mine. But first." His eyes focused on Sargon's heart as his good hand squeezed the air.
"You."
Something like that?

Nevill

Arcane
You can see remnants of the concept in Senya's reload mechanic. It was ultimately simplified for plot purposes, but the original concept had you shifting into ever more different worlds the more you died.
Sadly, there wasn't much done with it, as we - or Rei - didn't die all that often, I think.

The concept of the broken/corrupted world was beautiful, though. And it went underdeveloped as well, with the exception of Senya's investigation and SPACE WHALES. How come the coolest things never last? :negative:

It would be sad if one could only experience alternative dimensions through dying. I was hoping there could be more active interaction, perhaps some lessons learned that could be applied to the 'prime' dimension before all things go to hell. I mean, what's the point of not sacrificing Qilin's arm in 'prime' if upon dying you end up in the world where you did it anyway? Except for causing extra butthurt, of course. :?

And if you don't die, you do not get to see it.

Something like that?
:love:

YOLOShulgi-Sekhie romance would be intense. FOR SCIENCE does not even begin to describe it.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It would be sad if one could only experience alternative dimensions through dying. I was hoping there could be more active interaction, perhaps some lessons learned that could be applied to the 'prime' dimension before all things go to hell.

There was a concept where you'd have different multiple parallel realities which resulted in Bad Endings one way or another, have a prime incarnation becoming aware of those realities, that learnt from those mistakes. He'd have reached a solution, and in the finale, his knowledge would flow back and retroactively provide the failed incarnations with the resources at the critical point to bring about their Good Endings as an epilogue.

Baltika9

Arcane
YOLOShulgi-Sekhie romance would be intense. FOR SCIENCE does not even begin to describe it.
:hmmm:
Don't know if SCIENCE is the right word, early Shulgi was all about charisma and MAGIC.
"You."
Instead of cracking bones, Ean felt a mental barrier form and expand around the old king, breaking his grasp. Black tendrils crawled up the side of the wall and reformed as woman in the habit of an Egyptian priestess.
"Brought a friend, have you? She won't save you.“
Ean was upon Shulgi faster than he could blink, sword in hand. Even with one hand, he held the advantage in close quarters.
"SHULGI FRIEND. NO HURT HUMBABA FRIEND!"
Rather, he would have held the advantage in close quarters, had an angry mass of fur and muscle not tackled him to the ground.
"But he will."
"Come with me if you want to live, Your Majesty."
"Who are you people?"
"My name is Sekhenun. I'm with the idiot."
"Which one?!“

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
There was a concept where you'd have different multiple parallel realities which resulted in Bad Endings one way or another, have a prime incarnation becoming aware of those realities, that learnt from those mistakes. He'd have reached a solution, and in the finale, his knowledge would flow back and retroactively provide the failed incarnations with the resources at the critical point to bring about their Good Endings as an epilogue.
Aw yiss. That also solves the question 'why bother with one victory if there is an infinite number of defeats?'

Though really, securing even one future where there were none before is a victory in itself.

Well... let's hope the concept finds its way into one of the LPs one day. :)

Nevill

Arcane
Now that I spoiled the ending, probably never. :M
Ah, but the mechanic can be easily adapted and masked.

Say, you have a series of unpleasant prophetic dreams and have a choice of acting them out or not. Acting them out increases the probability that the unpleasant event comes to pass, while trying to change them disturbs the time-space continuum and leads to a potential disaster that you are unable to predict because you are treading an unknown ground. The success lies in balancing the two approaches.

No alternate dimensions are mentioned while the results are nearly identical. No one will suspect anything. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Hm... I've heard the mention of goblins. Will the Overlord universe be a fantasy one?

:hmmm:
Fantastic creatures from myths and fairytales and legends crept out of the fog and mud left behind by the fog. Trolls began hiding under bridges, preying on unwary travellers. Sylphs could be seen darting through the air. Fairies were found inhabiting blossoming flowers. The plague of the walking dead that had begun and ended ten years ago was believed to be only an harbinger of such an event. It was as if two realities had been placed atop one another, the unreal seeping into the real.
Can- can we stage an invasion on the Shinar Empire? We need more evidence for the treave-verse hypothesis!

Also, where is the setting on the grimdarkness scale?

Baltika9

Arcane
Nah, I'd rather go overlording in whatever planet Shun is imprisoned. Why not make Shun the Overlord?
+M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shun is not on any planet, he is out of the time-space continuum. He is 'nowhere', if I remember it right, completely cut off from the world and the cycle of reincarnation/life.

You can probably go there if you manage to collapse the Universe, but I doubt there would be much to Overlord. Or maybe I am making things up. :M

I suppose you can get to him before Jing does and offer him employment, but do you really want a goodie-two-shoes running your glorious Empire into the ground?

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't really care about his morality, all I ask is that he Gets Shit Done.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, but he would care about yours. That's the thing about do-gooders, they can't truly appreciate the concepts that are above their personal sense of right and wrong.

The Goddess asked him to get shit done, and where did it get her? Betrayed, rejected and stabbed. And without her favorite piggy-tiggy. :(

SdMrzIxeA30.jpg

The guys like him simply can't be relied on! :argh:

Baltika9

Arcane
Proper management of personnel is the key to Overlording. We will find ways to ensure his loyalty.

Nevill

Arcane
Nah. Good is toxic, it poisons everything it touches.

See, the prince had a friend, the one they conditioned to be utterly loyal for 15 years. And what do you think? The moment he got a whiff of that 'friendship, love and honour' bullshit, everything fell apart! He didn't stay at his liege's side when the Emperor offered him to, ignored the crucial mission that was a question of the State's stability in favor of a skirt, and - when brought before the throne and requested to make the final choice - instead of recognizing the disgrace that he has become and atoning for it with the blood of the very people who made him stray from the true path, he tried to cut off the head of a man who considered him a brother!

And I don't even want to get into what happened to Gao Ying, the last bastion of Chinese bastardry. We had such hopes for him, only to be betrayed at the last moment! :negative:

Suffer not a do-gooder to live! They only bring ruin to the right-minded people! :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom