Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Test-Run

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    If by A-B-C you mean Heavy Armor/Medium Armor/Light Armor, then I think that would be more intuitive and also help prevent statsturbation somewhat. When you said there would be a stat system, I was expecting Legend's SPECIAL again. Is there a particular reason you switched?

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No, I mean A-rank strength (minotaurs etc), B-rank strength (ogres etc), and so on and so forth. Descriptive tiers rather than numbers. Why would armor matter to the Final Boss Overlord? A knight in normal plate and a knight in normal leather are all going to get fried just as easily.

Lv 1. Overlord

Strength: 100/10
    Perception: 100/10
    Endurance: 100/10
    Charisma: 100/10
    Intelligence: 100/10
    Agility: 100/10
    Luck: 0/10

I suppose this can be solved partially by having all normal human characters at 1/10, hero characters ranging from 2 - 5 etc, but ultimately I'm looking at something more Dragon Quest inspired.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, that explains that. What's with the 0/10 luck? Are we really Li Shun, abandoned by HEAVANZ? Is it a level-able stat?
    When you brought up attack and swing speeds, I figured the armor and weapons would have an impact on an individual unit's capabilities. Of course, relative to this guy:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Nothing will be of much help.
    Yeah, abstract A-B-C-D tiers would be a better reference in my opinion, since they aren't supposed to be used for hard calculations.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Enchanted weapons will have an effect on capabilities. Otherwise, big bads don't really tend to care if they're being attacked with a normal iron mace or a normal iron dagger.

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Will there be babies?

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It will be very difficult to reproduce if you choose to be non-humanoid/undead. Compatibility issues.

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The hard numbers have that effect that, while they don't mean anything concrete, they create an impression that they do.

So if you want to avoid qualitative statements like 'an Overlord is worth 10 knights in combat, but will have trouble with 11 of them', it is probably better to use something more ambiguous like tiers. Especially if you wanted us to use our imagination and updates more than the stat sheet.

On the other hand, a relative improvement measured in numbers is easier to understand. An increase in defensive ability from 400 to 450 is less headscratchy than an improvement from A- to A - at least on the first glance, until you realize that you still don't know how good 450 is anyway.

Does it mean that we can tank 20 goblins (400 defence vs 20 attack) at once without breaking a sweat/taking no damage? And since goblins can't really encircle us in large numbers without getting in each other's way, we are effectively invincible to them?

But are we? Where do the Overlords come from?

Also, there are always mut(il)ations and necromancy to close that gap. Failing that, we just need to find an Overlady. :hug:

No babies - no game!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    ^ Top  
  8. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Overlord + Overlady = Overbaby

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Not just Overbaby - an Evil Overbaby. :love:

They are so adorable when they attempt their first evil laugh.

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I was thinking exactly that: if we're going to devote ourselves to a life of matrimony, then I will only settle for a villainess of our caliber and ambition.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can tank nigh infinite amounts of lv. 5 goblin attacks without taking any damage, but a zillion goblins gathered in one spot collapsing into a black hole through sheer mass might be bad for your health. That's irrelevant now anyway, with regards to the stats, I'm going to be using tiers instead of numbers, with + to indicate greater ability within a tier, going up to 3 +s.

For an example that might be easier to understand:

Zhang Jue:
    Physical Attack: B+++
    Physical Defense: B+++
    Agility: B+

Xu Jing:
    Physical Attack: C+++
    Physical Defense: C
    Agility: B

Oni:
    Physical Attack: B
    Physical Defense: B+
    Agility: D

Peasant:
    Physical Attack: F
    Physical Defense: F
    Agility: F

What the ranks actually mean narrative-wise will have to come later though.

You mean like defeating the previous Overlord and having her pledge herself to you since you are stronk enough?

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Possibly, or corrupting the Queen of Elves to darkness and then claiming her as ours. Or just finding an ambitious princess with no morals and a lust for power.

Like so.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Perhaps. Well, let's give this a try then.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    One last question for this thread, then.
    What are/were the stats of the Yamata no Orochi when Lord Zhang fought her?

^ Top  
  15. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I'm assuming that Big Wang would have A+ defense while being slightly slower than Lord Zhang. Yang Xue would be able to curbstomp everybody, so he's A+++ at everything, most likely.

^ Top  
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    The simpler you keep the numbers, the less we'll statsplurg. If you don't want us to treat them as hard figures, then it would help to have "High Agility" or "Agility: A" rather than "423".

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    No. No, it isn't. In fact, it is unfathomable.

Superlolis and faggots supercharged by deities can claim their S tier, but Zhang must rule supreme among humans! :argh:

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That is the glory of Lord Zhang: he is human, with human flaws and limitations, yet he overcomes the divine because of it.
    He is an inspiration to all of us and we should strive to follow the Lord's example.
    Ave Zhang Jue.
    :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)