Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Being a fanatic doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to burn heathens at the stake. A fanatic (in the sense a of zealous believer) might also act for the peaceful conversion of pagan/heretics or help the poor or become an hermit or study the scriptures in a monastery.
:deathclaw:

No, see, it's that kind of boring stuff that specifically doesn't interest me.

This is a LP, a treave LP at that. I don't want to spend even one update preaching to imaginary characters, distributing tithes to imaginary poor people or LARPing a hermit of all things.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Given the vast amount of really remote territory, I'm positive that there are hunter-gatherer tribes somewhere in The Tower that live in conditions even more primitive than the ones that we grew up with:

Eleventh Floor: An icy wasteland spanning the entire floor. Few settlements can be found here.

Twelfth Floor: In sharp contrast to the previous floor, it is a sea of sand, a hot desert. Prospectors have been searching for oil on this floor in recent years.

Tribes like the Inuit have lived in conditions like the 11th Floor for tens of thousands of years. And there are Bedouins that have lived in the Sahara too. So there's definitely something out there.

That'd be the case only if the Tower had a native population of any sort. Instead, each and every human there is a colonist or descendant of colonists. Too little time has passed from discovery for any population to degenerate that far.
A living population, you mean. The tower had an ancient native(?) civilization whose ruins were discovered on one of the floors.

Depending on where the elves we just risked our lives for came from, the tower may well have such a living population.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think we should wait for the updates to come and approach them as they do. The character will develop himself accordingly. As long as we're not playing a self-insert, IDRC too much.

Esquilax

Arcane
I think we should wait for the updates to come and approach them as they do. The character will develop himself accordingly. As long as we're not playing a self-insert, IDRC too much.

That's a good point, but baseless speculation is fun! Now, on that note, what is the probability of our former master secretly being Shulgi: highly likely, or 100% certain?

Baltika9

Arcane

That's a good point, but baseless speculation is fun! Now, on that note, what is the probability of our former master secretly being Shulgi: highly likely, or 100% certain?
I dunno...what is the probability of Rain being Shulgi?

Tigranes

Arcane

I'm just waiting for the latest discovery that, upon further investigation, the Tower is actually in the shape of a

a

sphere

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought Tentacle Nazgul is Shulgi? He'll even be wearing multiple eyepatches now.

Baltika9

Arcane
You sure we aren't on our way to restore elven monarchy? :M
the road to enlightement has many steps, friend

first, the communist revolution
second, baby girl elven Stalin comes of age
PROFIT
This means we must get an education in law and philosophy, shave our head bald, and grow a goatee.

Esquilax, I just remembered a little episode with the Knights of Malta.

When Napoleon took their island fortress, Tsar Paul I of the Russian Empire, who liked to cosplay as a chivalrous medieval knight, offered shelter and patronage to all exiled knights. Not all of them accepted his offer, but those who did later proclaimed him, an orthodox monarch, the head of their catholic holy order. This was obviously a controversial decision, and the Knights of Malta had other successor chapters who claimed their legitimacy was greater, but that's neither here nor there. In this setting they just might answer to the Russian Empire.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_tradition_of_the_Knights_Hospitaller

While we're on the topic of holy orders, I think that very few of them are even nominally religious anymore. Most of them, like the Janissaries and various chivalric orders, ought to be completely secular by their nature. The only religious ones are, I think, the Knights, the Order of the Sepulchre and the Society of the Jaguar. And, maybe, the Teutonic Order.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Boy in the Village (III)

Thump. A cloud of white chalk floats into the air as you clap the duster clean. As there are no classes this morning, you are tidying up the classroom as usual. Six months had gone by in a flash. Most of your time had been spent between learning how to take better care of Rain, and furiously absorbing the alphabet and numbers, as well as starting to learn alchemy. Your progress was astoundingly fast – you managed to pick up in only six months what most of the other children in the village needed six years to learn.

“Ah…” You hear Rain and turn around to spot her toddling towards you at high speed. She had begun to walk just a couple weeks ago, and taken to it pretty swiftly. Rain clings to your leg and you pick her up, cradling her in one arm as usual; she still seeks out your presence whenever she can. But just like how your adventurous spirit has been awakened, she has become a rather inquisitive baby in her own right, exploring her surroundings with innocent joy.

“I found her walking up and down the corridor,” says Sophie, entering the classroom. “I thought I’d bring her back here while I return my book.” Her hair is tied up in a ponytail today, and you spot a copy of a Jane Austen book in her hand. It seems like Mansfield Park today. Sophie had been reading a lot of those lately, borrowing the novels from the small shelf at the back of the class.

When it comes to works of fiction, you:

A. Absolutely prefer the work of Charles Dickens. You can identify with the difficulties of a harsh childhood, allowing you to appreciate all the more the social satire and realism in Dickensian tales such as Oliver Twist and Great Expectations.​

B. Can’t get enough of H.G. Wells. The fantastical elements of adventure found in stories such as The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds really speaks to your imagination.​

C. Very much appreciate Robert Louis Stevenson. You love how he can write stories as varied as the adventurous Treasure Island to the thrilling yet horrifying Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.​

D. Can’t recommend anything other than Arthur Conan Doyle. The Stories of Sherlock Holmes is your favourite work of literature and you find yourself enthralled by the master detective’s cerebral adventures.​

E. Really love Edgar Allan Poe. In particular, you love his horror stories such as The Masque of the Red Death and The Tell-Tale Heart, and how he deals with the questions of death. It might be a bit morbid, but you enjoy that tingle down your spine.​

F. Actually like Jane Austen too. The romance and the very real struggles of the characters in works like Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice makes you tear up – but only on the inside, of course.​

G. Have no interest in them at all, despite your young age. You prefer to be seen reading tracts such as The Prince, or Das Kapital, or The Critique of Pure Reason, or Second Treatise on Civil Government. Granted, you don’t understand the half of it, but you would like to pretend you can someday.​

Sophie doesn’t say anything else to you as she puts Mansfield Park back on the shelf. She hasn’t warmed up to you much over the past six months. You are not too sure why yourself.

“Oh, right. Father wants me to get something from the greengrocer, and he asked for your help carrying the groceries,” she says suddenly, while averting her eyes from your face. Although Father McClellan had scolded her a few times for being rude, she still does it from time to time.

“Alright,” you reply.

“Good. Let’s be off before the day’s over, shall we?” Sophie walks out of the classroom without waiting for you. Setting down the duster, you follow after her.

As you leave the school, you spot a large, white thing soaring through the sky. Seeing you stop and gawk at it, Sophie explains what it is.

“That is an Astra airship. Only the Council of Orders are allowed to operate them within the Tower, so there must be knights on board. What are they doing all the way up here on the 20th floor?”

You finish getting the groceries without incident. As you are on your way back, walking quietly behind Sophie, someone calls out to her.

“Sophie! Over here!”

Sophie’s face brightens up as she sees who it is. A slight blush on her fair cheeks, she runs to meet the boy. You know him. Tall, blond and dashing for his fourteen years of age, he’s the son of the local landlord, and the undisputed leader of the children. He’s currently holding court with four other kids standing around him.

“Andrew, how has your day been?” asks Sophie animatedly. “And… oh, you are here too, Elizabeth.” Her voice takes a slightly sour tone, as if she were talking to you.

Elizabeth is a short, red-haired girl about your age. You think she is the daughter of a travelling merchant, though you can’t be sure. At least, her clothes usually look better than the other children in the village – or so she claims. Again, you can’t be sure.

Placing her hands on her hips, Elizabeth eyes Sophie, and then you. “Going on a stroll… and is that Wrinkly I see behind you? Oh, I wonder what the two of you were doing?”

Sophie flushes and protests to Andrew. “We weren’t doing anything, Andrew. My father wanted his help with the groceries. You know how my father is… he doesn’t have a bad thing to say about this boy.” That much was true; you got the impression that Father McClellan favoured you. He was always telling Sophie about how hard of a worker you are, and how seriously you take your studies.

Andrew laughs, brushing off Sophie’s protests. “No need to be so worried, Sophie. Come here. You too, Wrinkly,” he grins. “I have some fun news to share. It might interest even you.”

Staying as reticent as usual, you move closer to the circle of children, though you stand a bit further away from them. You glance at Sophie, who is looking raptly at Andrew with a silly smile on her face. Rain chooses that moment to smack you on the head with her hands, babbling her baby language. She seems displeased about something.

“Still lugging that baby around, aye?” chuckles a portly, bespectacled boy. “You’re almost a town legend, Wrinkly. The burnt boy with a baby slung over his back.”

“Don’t tease him, Scotty,” interjects Andrew calmly. “Now’s not the time for that. No, we have grander things in mind. You’ve seen the airship passing above our village earlier, haven’t you? Well, Scotty knows what they’re here for.”

“Aye. Me dad’s found some ruins, you see,” grins Scotty, adjusting his spectacles. If you remember correctly, his father is an explorer based out of the village. A Mister Nathaniel Howell, all tall and bearded with a jovial glint in his eye and a constant smile on his lips. “Well, I know where those ruins are,” Scotty continues, “and I know how to get us in without being noticed.”

“Fun, isn’t it?” adds Andrew. “We might be able to find an Astra or two on our own… we might even become knights!”

You believe that he is talking about the tradition where those who track down an Astra on their own and demonstrate the proficiency to wield it can be accepted into one of the Orders. A tall order, to be sure.

“But don’tcha already have an Astra of your own?” ventures John, and his twin, Jane, agrees. The dark-haired duo nod and point to the short sword hanging from Andrew’s belt. You know about Andrew's Astra - he is considered to be rather talented even compared to the adults in the village. There are perhaps all of three Astra in this entire village of hundreds, and Andrew is considered good enough to be granted one of them. The boy gives a self-depreciating laugh, and says, “Well, I didn’t find this one after all. My father gave it to me. Besides, none of you have one, do you? This could be your big break!”

“Isn’t it dangerous?” asks Sophie nervously.

“Not at all.” Andrew’s reply is confident. “According to Scotty, Mr. Howell found nothing particularly dangerous in those ruins. We would just have to watch our step, but it would be as easy as talking a walk through the forest. If anything does go wrong, I have my Astra. Don’t worry, Sophie. I’ll protect you.”

Sophie’s blush deepens as Elizabeth jumps in. “And me too, right? You’ll protect me, right?”

“I’ll protect all of you,” grins Andrew, full of surety. “I’ve handled wolves and the like with my Astra, you know that. Why, I dare say that I shall take to the ruins like the heroic Theseus took to the labyrinth! And we don’t have to worry about getting caught, not with Scotty around.”

“Yeah,” Scotty drawls lazily. “If the knights find us, I’ll just use me dad’s name and get us out of it. We’ll say we were lost or something. Nothing to worry about, it’s not too far. We’ll be back by dinner.”

The excited children swiftly agree to go together. As if realizing that he forgot about you, Andrew turns to face you. “You’re coming too, right, Wrinkly?”

“Why would we need him around?” mutters Elizabeth.

“Well, I’ve heard that he’s actually spent some time in the woods by himself,” Andrew explains. “I was talking with Old MacDonald and he mentioned something along those lines.”

Old MacDonald was the alchemist who had taught you a thing or two. During those lessons, he had figured out you already knew a bit of the forest and the herbs which can be found there.

“Wrinkly here might be helpful,” continues Andrew. “I don’t see why he can’t come along.”

“He’s got to take care of Rain,” says Sophie flatly. “You can take the groceries back home, Wrinkly. Tell Father that I will be home before dinner.”

A. Their company doesn’t excite you, but the ruins do interest you. You decide to accept the invitation and go with them, though of course, the groceries still need to be brought to Father McClellan's home.
1. You bring Rain along with you. She might be able to tolerate being apart for you for a while, but she can’t do so for long. You’ll just have to be careful.
2. You leave Rain in the care of Madam Daviana, the old nursemaid who taught you all you needed to know about looking after a child. Rain will just have to bear with it until you come back.

B. You would love to go along, but alas, you do not have the time. You need to go home, drop off the groceries, get some more studying done, clean the room, and feed Rain. There is still a lot of chores you have to get done.
1. You don't mention anything about their expedition to Father McClellan. It's not exactly your business to get Sophie into trouble.
2. You tell Father McClellan about Andrew's plans. You know yourself how risky a trip into seemingly innocuous woods can be.

C. You let them go ahead, and after making some preparations of your own, you follow behind them at a distance, without their knowledge. You don't trust them enough to go with them. It would be more prudent to travel separately.
1. You bring Rain along.
2. You leave Rain with Madam Daviana.​

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Ho ho ho ho ho.

On one hand, I would love a character who goes through Kant, Locke, Hume, and grapples with the Counter-Enlightenment texts. Just imagine - the half-savage boy with a penchant for learning (as treave mentions) is first intrigued by the classics, but finds in accounts of presocial and natural man the inaccurate, lazy ruminations of a bourgeois philosopher. He finds in Rousseau not an illuminating window into the organic truth of mankind but a self-contradictory, career-obsessed word-spinner. Through Sturm und Drang of Hamaan and early Goethe, he arrives at a firm personal philosophy of moral autonomy...

But Wrinkly may never get so far. I expect that depends on our future path rather than our background. I don't ever expect him to get a formal education - but perhaps he will pick up bits and pieces of misunderstood wisdoms in his zeal.

More realistically - I think he would find interesting the resonances of colonialism and the clash of civilisations in RLS, and I think Wrinkly would be using these books as his own way to get an insight into human society & the psyche even as he quietly observes the villagers around him.

1G > 1B.

Baltika9

Arcane
Andrew seems like a decent fellow, although his worship of Theseus is troubling. I wounder if we could become friends.

The first choice is, obviously, related to what kind of people our fatherless boy idolizes and what direction he wants to move in with his life. Out of all of them, G makes the most sense to me. We're a sensible lad who encountered the real world rather quickly, and it would make sense that our imagination would be occupied with something practical, rather than whimsical fantasy.

On one hand, I would love a character who goes through Kant, Locke, Hume, and grapples with the Counter-Enlightenment texts. Just imagine - the half-savage boy with a penchant for learning (as treave mentions) is first intrigued by the classics, but finds in accounts of presocial and natural man the inaccurate, lazy ruminations of a bourgeois philosopher. He finds in Rousseau not an illuminating window into the organic truth of mankind but a self-contradictory, career-obsessed word-spinner. Through Sturm und Drang of Hamaan and early Goethe, he arrives at a firm personal philosophy of moral autonomy...

I second this and I would like to add that it makes sense for someone who spent his childhood away from human interaction to develop a scholarly interest in social behavior, and to seek to understand it on a rational and philosophical level.

As for the second choice, since we are playing a more serious and focused character, I'm inclined to vote for the responsible option here. There's no good argument for taking Rain into the ruins, and I'm not keen on abandoning her all the time like we've been doing with Cao'er in Legend. Plus, I have a feeling that these twits will get themselves into a load of trouble and we'll have a chance to go bail them out.

Thus, G>D B2>B1.

Edit:
But Wrinkly may never get so far. I expect that depends on our future path rather than our background. I don't ever expect him to get a formal education - but perhaps he will pick up bits and pieces of misunderstood wisdoms in his zeal.
That's kind of up to us, isn't it?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Andrew seems like a decent fellow, although his worship of Theseus is troubling. I wounder if we could become friends.

Wait, really? He doesn't seem like an egomaniac "me me me me I gotta be heroe I love attention" teenage boy that is currently leading people into violent danger?

Not the worst crime for a twelve year old or whatever they are, but I wouldn't trust him with anything responsible.

Baltika9

Arcane

Wait, really? He doesn't seem like an egomaniac "me me me me I gotta be heroe I love attention" teenage boy that is currently leading people into violent danger?
No, he seems like a spoiled rich kid, used to being given everything on a silver platter, from affection to magic swords. This doesn't automatically make him a bad person, in fact he seems like a fellow with brains, charisma and an overabundance of courage. Life (and Wrinkly) may yet teach him to be more level-headed, and then he would have the makings of a solid leader and, maybe, a good friend.

As a person, he isn't a bad dude: he doesn't make fun of the ugly orphan with no friends and keeps his gang in line. Granted, this is all at first blush, he may be a completely different person when out of the public eye, but we have no way of knowing that. Yet.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All these books! :love:
F. Actually like Jane Austen too. The romance and the very real struggles of the characters in works like Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice makes you tear up – but only on the inside, of course.
I have to admit, this one I've never heard of. :oops:

“Isn’t it dangerous?” asks Sophie nervously.

“Not at all.” Andrew’s reply is confident.
Tripping all the flags, eh?
Why, I dare say that I shall take to the ruins like the heroic Theseus took to the labyrinth!
I have no doubt.

So we are a side character in a harem protagonist's tale... with the same protagonist leading his entire retinue to die on a night stroll through cursed ruins.

Sounds like my kind of show!

A. Their company doesn’t excite you, but the ruins do interest you. You decide to accept the invitation and go with them, though of course, the groceries still need to be brought to Father McClellan's home.
2. You leave Rain in the care of Madam Daviana, the old nursemaid who taught you all you needed to know about looking after a child. Rain will just have to bear with it until you come back.

As much as the thought of elven baby Stalin lopping ears off her enemies before she even turned two amuses me, I think it'd re a responsible thing to do to leave her at home. We'll have our hands full keeping this herd of cats out of trouble as it is.

The call of adventure and all that.

“Don’t tease him, Scotty,” interjects Andrew calmly.
Andrew... is okay. And a talented Astra user too. Maybe we'll have a party when we set out of the village.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
1G
2B>A1

Call me paranoid but I think it's a bad idea to leave her out of our hands. I feel like shit's gonna happen one way or another.

Tigranes

Arcane

No, he seems like a spoiled rich kid, used to being given everything on a silver platter, from affection to magic swords. This doesn't automatically make him a bad person, in fact he seems like a fellow with brains, charisma and an overabundance of courage. Life (and Wrinkly) may yet teach him to be more level-headed, and then he would have the makings of a solid leader and, maybe, a good friend.

As a person, he isn't a bad dude: he doesn't make fun of the ugly orphan with no friends and keeps his gang in line. Granted, this is all at first blush, he may be a completely different person when out of the public eye, but we have no way of knowing that. Yet.

I agree that he is a spoiled rich kid. I struggle to understand how that makes him a good person and a good candidate for anything. It's easy to have 'courage' when you've never faced hardship or danger.

Let's see how he reacts when he ventures into the ruins - he could turn out to be a dude with some real charisma and courage that is still growing up, or your typical obnoxious egomaniac-with-nothing-behind-the-facade.

So yeah, going into the ruins seems to tempting to refuse... A1 maybe? The one reason I share Absinthe's paranoia is that there's a ship landing with people that have the authority to take strange elven kids away.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1G. Prince is great, but why don't we read some Aquinas and Socrates? I'm not particularly interested in Marx,or Locke, and maybe that's because I'm a Poli Sci student who's already had to sift through their stuff.

A1.
As fascinating as the prospect of bringing Rain along with us and having her get attached to an Astra is, it's simply too dangerous. She will simply have to fuss and cry with the nursemaid till we get back. Baby comes.

Much agreed. He could be a massive shit and a coward, but from what we've seen, he's just a talented young boy that seems to have a decent head on his shoulders despite all the hero worship. My initial reaction is that we needed to MOG the little shite and establish our dominance, but he seems cool enough for now.
Call me paranoid but I think it's a bad idea to leave her out of our hands.
It is possible that the knights we saw flying could be here for rain and snatch her away, but we can't pussyfoot around every decision for the next ten years till Rain is old enough to have enough agility to follow us.

EDIT: Change my vote to A1. We'll take the baby with us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How am I not surprised that there's a blind rush for the pretentious reading list, but I knew what was going to happen when I offered the option. :lol:

Absinthe

Arcane
Be a bit more interested in reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom