Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, a big part of all this is just how dangerous the desert is and how long we're expected to take. My tacit assumption was that since Tlalli didn't explicitly prepare us with a ton of supplies or even desert-appropriate clothing before leaving the previous floor, our own path isn't supposed to take 2 weeks across the Sahara or something. However, these guys seem to have a different idea about the environment.

The more I think about it, the more I expect that the trial isn't any kind of duel or monster hunting, but yes, something that is more akin to the desert people's rite of passage where a young member proves they have the knowledge, mindset and experience to survive their desert life. We would likely have to try and pass it with none of the background. Our astras, of course, would be helpful.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My tacit assumption was that since Tlalli didn't explicitly prepare us with a ton of supplies or even desert-appropriate clothing before leaving the previous floor, our own path isn't supposed to take 2 weeks across the Sahara or something.
Tlalli's estimate is two weeks for the entire journey to the 20th floor... at her pace, but still.
“That’s quite the way down,” she frowns, adjusting her spectacles. “It would be at least two weeks of travel without an airship, even if you knew the way. At any rate, you were attacked, you say? By what?”
The kids would slow her down somewhat, but not by much. We can probably estimate the travel time through any given floor as 3-5 days total, provided there aren't exceptional circumstances.

Absinthe

Arcane
It could also be that they 'doubt ones such as us' would succeed because the gauntlet tends to require intimate knowledge of the desert terrain and survival tricks
Navigating desert terrain for a bit would still be within our abilities considering that our group has a magic map, magic glasses, and magic boots. We're also familiar with survivalist methods ourselves, even if not necessarily desert-related ones. Meanwhile if they're into trials of endurance or "go hunt this shit" we'll pass easily.

Well, a big part of all this is just how dangerous the desert is and how long we're expected to take. My tacit assumption was that since Tlalli didn't explicitly prepare us with a ton of supplies or even desert-appropriate clothing before leaving the previous floor, our own path isn't supposed to take 2 weeks across the Sahara or something. However, these guys seem to have a different idea about the environment.
In brief we're under-equipped for desert life and you want to leave the oasis.

The more I think about it, the more I expect that the trial isn't any kind of duel or monster hunting, but yes, something that is more akin to the desert people's rite of passage where a young member proves they have the knowledge, mindset and experience to survive their desert life. We would likely have to try and pass it with none of the background. Our astras, of course, would be helpful.
Hey, our MC does have the right mindset for survivalism. And while he might not have the desert nomads' experience, he has his own experiences too. It seems like your worst case scenario is a trial that's quite feasible for us, and the other scenarios are trials that we'd pass with ease (ie. endurance/hunting trials).

Orbit

Scholar
It seems like your worst case scenario is a trial that's quite feasible for us, and the other scenarios are trials that we'd pass with ease (ie. endurance/hunting trials).
The trial might be easy for us but we still got two mouthful of baggage. Would be good to know whether only one of us has to take the test or if this is a team exercise or if every one has to pass separately. :M

Edit: We also don't know where this test will be held and how long it takes. Hopefully the temple of trials isn't two days away and Tlalli will wonder where we went. Or Tlalli comes back while our seven days of desert survival are ongoing and we have to tell our nomad friends that their traditions are all nice and interesting but we have more important things on our plate right now.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Oops, there we go:

According to Tlalli, you are still another day away from the next set of stairs down.

So we are one day away from the next stairs. That's not very far. Normally, this would suggest we are not fucked if we have to leave the oasis; Tlalli should be back quite soon having scouted at her accelerated pace, and if we had half a brain we already filled up our waterskins when we first arrived.

Do we know the direction to the stairs, so that we could go and meet her on the way? If so, that doesn't seem any more risky than doing the trials. If we don't, then presumably D leaves us waiting nearby for her return.

Baltika9

Arcane
So we are one day away from the next stairs. That's not very far. Normally, this would suggest we are not fucked if we have to leave the oasis; Tlalli should be back quite soon having scouted at her accelerated pace, and if we had half a brain we already filled up our waterskins when we first arrived.
Unless she's something else came up, like with John Bull earlier, that may delay her for an extra day or two. All I'm saying is that it's better to be by the oasis than away from it.

I also think that you and Nevill are overthinking the reason he thinks we won't be able to pass this test.
That is also my take. They say "our traditions", implying that this is a friend-or-foe (or rather, an outsider, us/them) test, and that any of their group can pass it. Not sure if it is required of those who are obviously one of them.

This also means that it is rare for an outsider to have the necessary knowledge or training, which is why he doesn't think we'd pass.
I think that the reason is much simpler:
It could also be that they 'doubt ones such as us' would succeed because the gauntlet tends to require intimate knowledge of the desert terrain and survival tricks.
I think it's because they don't think that two teenage girls and a little boy with burns will be able to survive in the desert. Think how these guys, who came in full desert gear, must see our under-equipped, improperly dressed group of children:
The newcomers to the oasis reveal themselves. There are about twelve of them; men and women, adults and children. At least that is what their silhouettes seem to be – you cannot be sure, as all of them are cloaked in ragged clothing that reveals little of their figure. Their heads are shrouded in ragged, brown strips that leave only their eyes uncovered. What little you can see of their skin appears to be tanned. Each of them is carrying a large backpack; even the little ones.
They have no respect for us because we look like a bunch of lost, ill-equipped children. Which is fair.
That, and a little bit of tribal chauvinism.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, you're seeing me this last page trying to rethink the issue from various angles. Initially I thought B & D are both viable options, and that D is slightly better, because the gauntlet (& some people's reasoning for it) read like such an optional challenge that we have no reason to want to take other than 'adventure!'.

However, when we look at it in terms of what is the most prudent option for survival, it might be that B & D are pretty equal in terms of risk, just different kinds. I'm OK with it.

Baltika9

Arcane
However, when we look at it in terms of what is the most prudent option for survival, it might be that B & D are pretty equal in terms of risk, just different kinds. I'm OK with it.
Mostly agreed. I still want B because (1) water, shade shelter and new frens, and (2) I want this adventure.
read like such an optional challenge that we have no reason to want to take other than 'adventure!'.
Yeah, but optional challenges lead to good stuff more often than not in treave's LPs. Think back to the Ghost Mansion and other such excursions in Legend.
The trial might be easy for us but we still got two mouthful of baggage.
I think you're discounting the girls a little too much.

Absinthe

Arcane
D because I don't think embarking in an unknown trial is a good idea.
Our MC has 7 willpower, 8 constitution, considerable life experience as a survivalist hunter, and a magic map for finding his way around. I know fear of the unknown is a powerful motivator towards caution, but just what kind of trial are you imagining here that is not within our abilities? We know that if these are their traditions, they wouldn't give us a trial the average nomad couldn't pass.

Since they look like nomads, they won't stay forever at the oasis
I'd be careful about this kind of logic. The nomads didn't tell us to leave because the oasis isn't big enough for all of us. They told us to leave because there's only so much water and we're not welcome to have it. It's pretty obvious that they intend on enforcing that claim. And out-lasting the nomads when they're at the oasis and we're not is not an option, especially when we're as under-equipped for desert conditions as we are. It's very possible that this option will either result in Tlalli having to resort to diplomacy by force or us having to make a trip to the next watering hole while low on water (and hope that one hasn't been claimed too).

It seems like your worst case scenario is a trial that's quite feasible for us, and the other scenarios are trials that we'd pass with ease (ie. endurance/hunting trials).
The trial might be easy for us but we still got two mouthful of baggage. Would be good to know whether only one of us has to take the test or if this is a team exercise or if every one has to pass separately. :M
If we have to pass separately, our MC will pass, which will count for something at least. If we have to pass together, we can put all our astras to use as a group, do most of the hard work ourselves, and help the girls pass.

Edit: We also don't know where this test will be held and how long it takes. Hopefully the temple of trials isn't two days away and Tlalli will wonder where we went. Or Tlalli comes back while our seven days of desert survival are ongoing and we have to tell our nomad friends that their traditions are all nice and interesting but we have more important things on our plate right now.
So your worst case scenario is that there happens to be a temple nearby for their traditional challenge and we go exploring it? Basically that we'd end up on an interesting sidequest when we're not actually under a deadline to get back? That's not too bad. And that scenario isn't even likely, considering that nomads as a rule are probably more fond of traditions that they can execute wherever.

Do we know the direction to the stairs, so that we could go and meet her on the way? If so, that doesn't seem any more risky than doing the trials. If we don't, then presumably D leaves us waiting nearby for her return.
This is the kind of option that results in us getting lost in the desert by exercising a skill we don't have. Just because we can find our way back using astras doesn't mean we can start wandering into the desert and hope we've picked the right direction to find Tlalli or the stairs. Maybe we should've picked the towerspace book if you were hoping for us to locate the stairs on our own. Finding Tlalli is also a bad idea because there's no guarantee she's still in the same direction that she left, if she's ranging around.

Tigranes

Arcane
Dude, I don't know what you're on about. I'll say it again: if we already know the path to the stairs, it's an option. If we don't - and I suspect we don't - then it's a dumb idea. Trying to find the stairs on our own was never a suggestion, because that is dumb.

Absinthe

Arcane
Even if we were to have the right direction and a full-blown map guiding us to it so we don't make mistakes, we should probably still try to stay where Tlalli is expecting us.

Orbit

Scholar
So your worst case scenario is that there happens to be a temple nearby for their traditional challenge and we go exploring it? Basically that we'd end up on an interesting sidequest when we're not actually under a deadline to get back? That's not too bad. And that scenario isn't even likely, considering that nomads as a rule are probably more fond of traditions that they can execute wherever.
No, worst case scenario is that we lose Tlallis company forever and are stuck on an unknown level of the tower making a three week trip back home into an odyssey where we are just as likely to end up five levels higher if we take the wrong turn. This sounds somewhat exciting actually. But I prefer that we had Rain with us, be at least somewhat prepared for such a trek and have a trainer or guide with us.

Second bad scenario is where we are going to piss off the nomads in a major way, Tlalli has to bail us out and will treat us for the rest of the way as dumb little children and fuck off the moment Scotsfield comes into view.

Tigranes

Arcane
Makes you wonder if we would have had Rain with us the entire time, if we took her to the ruins.

With her own Astra.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
D because I don't think embarking in an unknown trial is a good idea.
Our MC has 7 willpower, 8 constitution, considerable life experience as a survivalist hunter, and a magic map for finding his way around. I know fear of the unknown is a powerful motivator towards caution, but just what kind of trial are you imagining here that is not within our abilities? We know that if these are their traditions, they wouldn't give us a trial the average nomad couldn't pass.

Any kind of challenge which rely on knowledge that's learned by living in the desert? Like finding the good place to camp, how to orient yourselves in the desert, how to see a sandstorm coming, tracking someone/something, which animals/plants are to edible/poisonous... Or it's even a quiz on the legends/stories of the tribe, so we're SOL.

And if we're one day away from the stairs, so Tllali is at most two days away, which should be survivable

Absinthe

Arcane
No, worst case scenario is that we lose Tlallis company forever and are stuck on an unknown level of the tower making a three week trip back home into an odyssey where we are just as likely to end up five levels higher if we take the wrong turn. This sounds somewhat exciting actually. But I prefer that we had Rain with us, be at least somewhat prepared for such a trek and have a trainer or guide with us.
This is based on your fanciful scenario that our trial for the right to stay at the oasis involves us leaving the oasis so much as to defeat the purpose of taking the trial in the first place.

Second bad scenario is where we are going to piss off the nomads in a major way, Tlalli has to bail us out and will treat us for the rest of the way as dumb little children and fuck off the moment Scotsfield comes into view.
That would be if we picked "make me" or "attack the nomads" as our options. Failing a trial won't exactly offend them. It'll be no less than they expect.

Makes you wonder if we would have had Rain with us the entire time, if we took her to the ruins.

With her own Astra.
Eh, I suspect Rasputin would've taken an interest in her, and that the tunnels might've been more dangerous, but it's hard to say. Right now I'm just glad that we chose to go with the girls and that we're in charge here, as opposed to being stuck with the twins or Andrew's group.

Any kind of challenge which rely on knowledge that's learned by living in the desert?
Sure, a knowledge quiz would be one of the worse ones for us, but even then we wouldn't be out of luck. And if it's a more practical demonstration of capability they're after, we're even better off. Even trials such as you suggest would be within our abilities.

Like finding the good place to camp,
Decent odds we can do a passable job of this, between our party's astras and our MC's own sense for camping.

how to orient yourselves in the desert,
We have a magic map.

how to see a sandstorm coming,
Our girl has magic glasses that are rather good at seeing things coming.

tracking someone/something,
We have experience tracking prey, and Sophie has magic glasses. Trails might be different, but we wouldn't be clueless here.

which animals/plants are to edible/poisonous...
We have wilderness experience and our rank of alchemy just went up by 1.

Or it's even a quiz on the legends/stories of the tribe, so we're SOL
That would be a trial for becoming their storyteller or loremaster, not so much the trial to be considered a functional member of their tribe.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Or it's even a quiz on the legends/stories of the tribe, so we're SOL.
But Liz isn't.
+M
I don't think it's that, that would be too specific and just doesn't fit thematically.
so Tllali is at most two days away, which should be survivable
I'm not so sure about the 'survivable' part. The human body can survive about two days without water at room temperature. In the desert, that time will get reduced dramatically. Some people die within two hours of the onset of dehydration.

Tigranes

Arcane
With D I think it's fair to say we filled our waterskins. Still, anything more than one day and you would get into "something bad happens we are fucked" territory. Not just in terms of water but shade source, temperature control, etc.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave Any confirmation regarding the info above?

About what, whether you'll have water? You have enough supplies to clear the desert even without staying at the oasis, if you don't waste it stupidly. Only reason you kids were sent there was because Tlalli is being a bit more cautious and the two girls don't have the same stamina you do. It's more of a place to rest than a place to urgently resupply.

Baltika9

Arcane
B is 'just' a sidequest, then. I'm okay with that and I think we should take it. Initially, I was completely in opposition to even joining the expedition because I wanted to LARP a responsible 10-year old, but I admit that I was wrong and everyone who wanted to come to the ruins was right: this has been a ton of fun. We learned a bunch of stuff, got a cool astra and met grandma Tlalli.

So, in that spirit, I propose that we continue adventuring. As hello friend put it,
I mean how hard can it be?

:happytrollboy:

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, so water is fine whatever we do - we can adventure, we can rest, etc. So I guess it does come back to optional adventure vs. hardline responsibility. I'm fine with either with a slight preference for D. It certainly doesn't seem like we'll end up fighting some desert shadowbeast with our hands tied behind our back or something ridiculous.

Don't quote me

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Keep in mind something about this adventure:

these people are ragged and unreasonable. They may even be insane.

They make even children do hard labor.

I’m having second thoughts.

I’m going to flop to D

There’s no reason at this point given what treave said about us having plenty of water.

Besides, I think they may attack us even in B. They boy was clearly angry even at the suggestion.

This is a dangerous cult.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
these people are ragged and unreasonable. They may even be insane.
"A madman," the Baron said. "But all Fremen are a little mad."

"Mad?"

"His people scream his name as they leap into battle. The women throw their babies at us and hurl themselves onto our knives to open a wedge for their men to attack us. They have no... no... decency!"
[...]
"These people are insane," the Emperor snarled. "Quick! Into the ship. We'll purge this planet of every... "

Something sparkled to his left. A roll of ball lightning bounced away from the wall there, crackled as it touched the metal floor. The smell of burned insulation swept through the selamlik.

"The shield!" one of the Sardaukar officers shouted. "The outer shield is down! They... "

His words were drowned in a metallic roaring as the shipwall behind the Emperor trembled and rocked.
This is a dangerous cult.
For Shai Hulud! :salute:

Flopping to B so that Baltika owes me again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom