Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]Wulfen's Chronicles

anus_pounder

Arcane
I hate to keep saying the same thing, but I'll wait for more votes before deciding

Kz3r0

Arcane
Onyx and Emerald

Jonar Eryxhian calmly turned towards his commander.

"I am a man of my word Velhar, but you already know this."
After a pause he added.
"However, I am asking you to relieve me from my oath at the end of this campaign."

The 'raven' continued to fix his gaze upon his lieutenant for long moments.
"Granted."
Answered, lowering his head.

"Thank you, now I will board the second command ship, with you permission."
With this words Jonar left the room.

Velhar Kraszyek remained silent to his desk for a while, then he took a memory unit from under the left breastplate of his tactical armor.

He desired to entrust it to Jonar Eryxhian, the only person he thought he could rely in the whole Commonwealth, but even that hope had vanished now.

Holding it with two fingers he observed the black rectangle, inside of it all the secrets of the Directorate and the Representativity that he collected along the years.

The content of that little tiny object could have meant the demise of the 'raven' and his family as well as the ruin of his enemies, depending in which hands it would have fallen.

For a long time the commander held the destiny of the Commonwealth between his fingertips.

Then he activated a secret panel on his desk , revealing an electronic device expressly built for completely erasing data from the kind of devices Velhar had in his hand, he already used it many times in the past.

With slow and precise movements he positioned the little rectangle in the apposite slot, activating the mechanism.

With blank eyes he awaited the end of the procedure, after every data had been completely erased the memory unit began to melt, subjected to light micro plasma impulses.

When it was completely evaporated Velhar raised from his seat, directed at the door.

Passing by he observed his reflex in the glass of a painting on the wall, a confuse jet black image with emerald shades.

What irony he thought, what was only a convenient military position now was his only shield, literally and figuratively.

Now completely alone he could only hope in the success of the Green Company in fending off the Jehnizars's menace, and in doing so, fending off the menace from some other, more dangerous enemy.

With a resolute look he left his quarters, directed at the command deck.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Silent Echo

Captain Damian Houser at the orders of Zhenar Xhan had chased until that moment the faint signal reverberant on the sensors' screen.

Always in doubt if he was after the projection of his own shadow through the distortion guide system or another ship, a ship which very existence could mean not only the end of any hope for reforms, but the undoing of the Commonwealth as well.

Now, after reaching the Xhanadar wall, a vast asteroid zone that separated the Fringe from the central sectors, as a last act of mockery, that haunting echo disappeared.

This however didn't reassure the captain, differently from all the various theories, when faster than light travel was achieved, no fancy warp effect or convenient quantum subspace, instead what was registered was a sublimation effect of part of the, tending to infinite, mass, this meant that with apposite devices facilitating this phenomenon it was possible to travel incommensurable distances in an acceptable time while remaining in the 'real' universe, not that there was any hint of any other kind, outside of the theories, of course.

But this created the inconvenience of searching for secure routes, while the sublimation effect could take care of small objects, significant celestial bodies could not only sway a ship, but destroy it as well.

Thus, if the echo was produced by a real ship it wasn't strange that it disappeared, if said ship wanted to pass through the Xhanadar wall without getting destroyed.

It's true that it was possible to use the new distortion system for passing with relative safety through the asteroid zone, at low intensity not at full force, but in this case should have been still possible to register its effects, and they weren't registering anything.

Captain Damian Houser had to make a quick decision.

A)Enough time has been already wasted, go back and rejoin Zhenar Xhan's battle group.

B)Try to pass through the Xhanadar wall, maybe an enemy ship is trying to attack the central sectors, an enemy ship that can be as powerful as your own, one of the latest and best batllecruisers of the Commonwealth.

C)Wait, be cautious, if an enemy ship, similar to yours, is out there, any hasty decision could be fatal.

anus_pounder

Arcane
C :oops:

Lets wait, I doubt Xhan will miss one ship (I think we're winning ?)

Also, when will we get back to Wulfen ? This is all exciting, but it seems pretty :lol: that we've had several pages without the titular character in view.

Kz3r0

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
C

Lets wait, I doubt Xhan will miss one ship (I think we're winning ?)

Also, when will we get back to Wulfen ? This is all exciting, but it seems pretty :lol: that we've had several pages without the titular character in view.
Well, the major reason for this detour is that I try to give as much control to the players as possible on what is about to happen.
Said that I very like how the LP is shaping up, so, I think I will continue in this way for now, unless the players ask for returning to a much more character oriented LP.

oscar

Arcane
What's Xhan's current order of battle? Do we have any intelligence on the likely size of his opponents?

Right now I'm thinking B or C. Finding this ship is important. A also risks the fleet not arriving in time to influence the battle AND not finding the ship. A risky middle ground that may yield neither objective.

Kz3r0

Arcane
oscar said:
What's Xhan's current order of battle? Do we have any intelligence on the likely size of his opponents?

Hesitation

Captain Damian Houser reflected on his current situation.

His was the tenth vessel of Zhenar Xhan's battle group, with the actual mission standard equipment of ten nutron bombs.

True, the remaining nine vessels probably were more than enough to obliterate their objective, but the plan had been made on the assumption that the majority of the enemy's forces would have been averted towards the impeding offensive against Karhyen, and this, coupled with the advantage of the new propulsion system, should have permitted a successful surprise attack.

But without ascertain the nature of that echo this whole strategy could have been a recipe for disaster.

If that echo was really a ship similar to their battlecruisers the possibility of an ambush couldn't be excluded.

In that case the support of the light astrocrafts following the battle group would have been insufficient.

Without mentioning the materialization of the new reality of an enemy attack against the central sectors.

The commander felt the urgency of the moment, realizing that if he couldn't make the right decision the consequences could have been fatal.

oscar

Arcane
To me that definitely rules out A. Even if Houser doesn't manage to track down the source of the echo he'll be able to warn Xhan of any potential ambush.

C.

Kz3r0

Arcane
C won.

Patience

The Captain decided to wait, frustrating as it was.

Besides, having no hard evidence and insufficient data to draw any conclusion left him with very few choices.

The battlecruiser stood silent in the immensity of space void, with all its electronic senses alerted, trying to detect a signal from one as itself, its own kind, its worst enemy.

At long last the ghost materialized again, but this time it wasn't an ephemeral echo, it was a clear signal, that, as it was a call, was soon followed by another one.

In seeing this the frightening realization of what it entailed sent a chill run down Captain Damian Houser' spine.

Grimly silent he observed the two signals coming closer while making a path for themselves in the Xhanadar wall.

His officers looked at him surprised that no orders had been issued yet while the signals became fainter and fainter.

But his experience and instinct in that moment gave him a sort of hallucinated lucidity, he clenched his teeth, with a strange sense of anticipation.

And then, a third signal appeared, quickly following the other two.

They wanted to be sure that no one was following them, thought the Captain.

Looking firmly in front of him he contemplated his next move.

A)Wait, when the enemy' ships will be out of sight alert the Battle Marshall of what is happening and follow his orders.

B)While the enemy' s vessels are inside the Xhanadar wall couldn't maneuver with ease, this can be your chance in launching a surprise attack against them, however even your movement will be hampered, a long and risky battle could await you.

C)Follow them with discretion, it will be easy thanks at the trail they are leaving behind them in the Xhanadar wall, in this way you could ascertain their intentions and act accordingly.

oscar

Arcane
A worries me that we will be unable to track them down. And the only information we would gain would be "they travel through the Xhandar wall". We can accomplish more than this. Safe but seems to result in very little gain (why detach a battle-cruiser in the first place?).

B is tempting but even if we do defeat them I can't really see the gain. Is capturing ships possible in this universe? Destroying them doesn't sound like it'd be of great help and it would tip our foes off that we know what they think we don't even know (manboon).

C seems relatively safe and allows us to actually figure out more about the foe and this technology they use. Though if detected we will likely be defeated AND be unable to report our findings.

For now I'll hold my vote.

Kz3r0

Arcane
oscar said:
A worries me that we will be unable to track them down. And the only information we would gain would be "they travel through the Xhandar wall". We can accomplish more than this. Safe but seems to result in very little gain (why detach a battle-cruiser in the first place?).

B is tempting but even if we do defeat them I can't really see the gain. Is capturing ships possible in this universe? Destroying them doesn't sound like it'd be of great help and it would tip our foes off that we know what they think we don't even know (manboon).

C seems relatively safe and allows us to actually figure out more about the foe and this technology they use. Though if detected we will likely be defeated AND be unable to report our findings.

For now I'll hold my vote.

Urgency

Damian Houser observed the three signal reaching deep in the Xhanadar wall.

Thinking to capture at least one of them was out of question, they didn't even enough manpower nor the needed equipment for that.

A surprise attack could promptly thwart the menace but was very risky.

Sure following them and asking for reinforcement afterwards seemed as the best option, but do they have enough time for that?

Zhenar Xhan's attack probably was about to begin, being informed of the existence of enemy ships very similar to his own could proven to be a vital information.

Thus, informing the Battle Marshall wouldn't have been a bad idea after all.

In any case a rapid action should have been undertaken as soon as possible.

Kz3r0

Arcane
For now we have Oscar's vote on hold, anus_pounder undecided B&C and a clear C from Stygian Lurker, waiting for Crooked Bee and grotsnik.
Sorry but I can't think of any other addendum for helping people to vote at the moment.

Kz3r0

Arcane
If the situation will not change by tomorrow night I will assume direct control. :M

oscar

Arcane
C then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom