Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]Wulfen's Chronicles

Kz3r0

Arcane
Suspension

Obeying his strong sense of discipline Captain Houser contacted Commander Kraszyek through the tactical communicator.

"Glad to see that the latest marvel of Commonwealth technology has come to our rescue."
Said the 'raven' with an ironic smile.

Houser ignored the sarcasm.
"I am receiving the tactical data from your command ship now, what line of conduit do you suggest Commander?"

Kraszyek quickly answered with a hard tone.
"My 'suggestion' is to converge immediately on the target, my astrocrafts will retire momentarily to attack in conjunction with your battlecruiser, launching a wave of electroplasma bombs and nuclear torpedoes to disrupt the shields and I also 'suggest' to do it now, before they drift apart."
The look on the 'raven's face showed all the animosity he felt towards Zhenar Xhan and his men.
"End of transmission Captain."

Houser, which heartily reciprocated the hostile sentiment, acted rapidly, the enemy was already trying to separate to avoid to offer a single target.

The Commonwealth battlecruiser jumped ahead at sub-luminous speed with the distortion field activated.

The three enemy vessels begun to maneuver trying to take advantage of the respite offered to them by Kraszyek's battle group.

A fatal mistake, due to fear and the usage in battle of an untested weapon.

Their respective distortion fields interfered with each other when they tried a fast propulsion push.

What that until that moment offered a formidable defense exposed them to lethal danger.

The astrocrafts of the Commonwealth broke their sub-formations by attacking separately, a pointless tactic in normal
circumstances but that in that situation permitted to land blow after blow on the enemy at minimum risk while favoring Houser strike.

A powerful strike, hovering pass the enemy three nutron bomb were launched, one of the enemy battlecruiser was soon reduced to a ball of molten metal still in fusion.

Another was so badly damaged that lost half of his section, killing most of the crew, an easy target that was completely
destroyed by the subsequent pulse cannons' barrage.

Only one managed to distance itself avoiding the brunt of the attack, but was
quickly chased by the battle group reinforced by Houser's battlecruiser.

Seeing how desperate the situation was the surviving ship abruptly stopped, shutting down the distortion field and sending a surrender signal.

All the battle group took position awaiting for orders, as was customary in such cases.

Being the nearest ship Houser ordered to open a communication channel with the enemy.

At first the signal was greatly disturbed, no images were shown, a stream of unintelligible words began to flow trough
the speakers.

Puzzled Houser asked his communication officer to send the transmission to the Field Commander through the tactical
communicator as hierarchy imposed.

The answer startled him.
"Commander Kraszyek has cut every communication a moment ago Captain."

"What?"
Immediately after Houser surprised reaction a signal appeared on the sensors' screens.
An astrocraft was advancing towards the enemy vessel at hyper-luminous speed.

It was Kraszyek, in that moment the enemy ship was a perfect target.

Before anyone could react the unknown battlecruiser erupted in a ball of neutronic plasma.

Houser watched the whole scene with an increasing sense of anger.
"Open a channel with Kraszyek, immediately."

The 'raven' appeared on the screen.
"Captain?"
He said with a relaxed expression.

Houser maintained his composure with difficulty.
"Please explain your conduit, the enemy was surrendering and we could have gained precious informations by interrogating the prisoners."

The expression of the 'raven' was of absolute contempt.
"War could not be fought half-hearted, I swept the first occasion to eliminate a serious danger for the security of the
central Sectors;besides, I don't have to justify my actions to a subordinate."

Houser coldly replied at that dismissive attitude.
"I will be sure to give a full report to the Battle Marshall, especially of your use of nutron bombs."

"Whatever."
Responded Kraszyek with a wave of the hand.

The communication was abruptly closed.

"En route for the Green Company headquarters."
Ordered Houser adhering to the directives of the Gamma Protocol.

Velhar Kraszyek watched with indifference the battlecruiser leaving the quadrant and gave order to his officers to return to
preside the key defense points of their assigned sectors.

While departing from the battle scene his brother contacted him.
"Was it a wise move Velhar "
He asked preoccupied."

"It would have been more unwise not doing such move."
Replied the 'raven'.
"That vessel wouldn't have provided any useful information or help to us, but could have been used against us."

Druszieck didn't look convinced.
"The Battle Marshall won't like this."

"Who cares?If he want to confront the forces trying to take over the Commonwealth he will need us, and even so we are still a formidable opponent for whomever wants to fight us, our only concern is if they would reach an agreement at our expenses.In that case we will give them hell."
With a cruel smile and a determined expression the 'raven' closed the communication.

Karl Chas was now in the tactical room of the Green Company headquarters where he transferred after the delegations of the Representativity and the Directorate left the briefing room.

There he received the first communication from Zhenar Xhan since his battle group departed.

A complete success, coupled with the reports of Norian Dhen from Karhyen was safe to assume that they regained complete control of the fringe sector.

In other circumstances that would have been an occasion for celebrating, instead the war seemed only at the beginning.

A new communication came to distract the Battle Marshall from his grim mood, Wulfen's Militia was approaching the quadrant, requesting for a private encounter with him.

Surprised Karl Chas observed the report.
"They have important information to discuss with me and are bringing here a captured enemy Captain for interrogation, is this correct?"

"Yes sir."
Answered the officer deputed to cypher communications.
"We have already verified the encrypted signature of the orders' certificate Commander Wulfen sent us, it's a seven
grade consignment from Field Commander Norian Dhen."

"I see, something that can only be communicated to the Battle Marshall in person."
Noted Karl Chas.

"Grant them access to the system and give dispositions for the positioning of their astrocrafts in one of the allotted stand-by zones and take in custody the prisoner, when all the operations had been completed send Commander Wulfen to my private quarters, I will receive him there."

"It will be done sir."
And with this the officer departed, leaving Chas wondering, perplexed, about that new development."

Lupus entered the private quarters of the Battle Marshall, greeted by the old commander that accompanied him to a seat.

"I am sorry for not giving you a better welcoming Commander, sadly there are very pressing concerns at the moment."
Said Karl Chas taking his place behind the desk.
"I assume that you have been already debriefed on or current situation."

Wulfen nodded.
"I understand Marshall, from what I have been told the Gamma Protocol has been instated, likely due to the apparition of
three hostile battlecruisers, which affiliation is still unknown."

"Exactly."
Replied Chas with a neutral tone.

"Maybe this documents will help to shed some light on the whole matter."
In saying so Wulfen handed to the Marshall an envelope with the captured papers.

For long minutes Karl Chas perused through the writings, most of the material should have been deciphered and its genuinity confirmed, of course, still, most of what was there shouldn't have been in the hands of the enemy, and some of the memos in there clearly indicated connivance with the Jehnizars by high ranking officers of the Commonwealth.

If the veridicity of the papers' content would have been ascertained that's would have put the Battle Marshall in a very
troubling position.

He had already opposed a critical decision of the Commonwealth institutions, as far he should have to go if what was in there was true, or should have be better to make a step back to avoid a possible civil war?

The Marshall heavily pondered for long minutes, then he looked Wulfen straight in the face.
"Commander, I hope that you would understand what I a going to say and will bear no ill will afterwards."

Chas was visibly uncomfortable in saying this.
"Your contributions to the Green Company and to this campaign has been commendable, and from the reports I have received you have gone beyond the boundaries of duty many times to accomplish your missions."

With a sigh he continued.
"Nonetheless due to the circumstances I am forced to ask for you and your militia to be integrated under the direct command of the Green Company headquarter, this basically means me."

This would have been meant that from that moment on Wulfen would have been subjected to the direct orders of the Battle Marshall and officers appointed by him would have be assigned to key posts inside Wulfen's militia, a situation rarely heard of, usually the assignments were on a voluntary basis, that was practically a cooptation.

Chas gravely added:
"Unfortunately, if you refuse, I will be forced to give order to disband the Wanderers militia."

The Marshall waved his head nervously.
"I will be honest Commander Wulfen, you have been already involved too much, you have knowledge of secret materials that could compromise the stability of the Commonwealth and with the uncertainty laying ahead I have to take precautions."

He was looking firmly Wulfen in the eyes now.
"And of course I will need valiant commanders at my side."

The Marshall waited for the response, Wulfen's expression was inscrutable.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

A)Accept, the Green Company needs you.(winning option)

B)Go rogue, refuse the proposal, Wulfen priorly has already created a militia on his own, restarting would not be a problem, there are many opportunities in the Commonwealth for a 'freelance', especially in the upcoming confrontation between the different factions.

C)Feign acceptance and escape with your militia at the first opportunity, probably you would have to fight tho.
If someone, anyone, will want your help in the future they will have to pay your price.

grotsnik

Arcane
B)Go rogue, refuse the proposal, Wulfen priorly has already created a militia on his own, restarting would not be a problem, there are many opportunities in the Commonwealth for a 'freelance', especially in the upcoming confrontation between the different factions.

anus_pounder

Arcane
While B. is the most codexian and extreme option, I can't really say its interesting to me.

I'm voting A. Sounds like It would give the much more interesting storyline.

Also, can we have a summary update of what has taken place so far ? Just a character list perhaps. Anything extra is up to you.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I will make a comprehensive recap later with some of my general considerations, I was thinking of doing it after the next update, depends on which option will win.

Kz3r0

Arcane
As requested by anus_pounder here a little addendum:

Synthesis

After a moment Wulfen broke the silence.
"This is a very important decision, I need to think this thoroughly, what you have said sir heavily implies the possibility of
a civil war, clearly there is something I haven't been informed of if the Green Company could decide to go so far out of
its way."

"Unfortunately there are things that can't be discussed at the moment, I hope you will understand Commander Wulfen."
Answered Karl Chas maintaining his dignified composure, in that moment he was the Battle Marshall, no other considerations mattered to him than acting in the best way possible to accomplish his duty.

Wulfen calmly measured his superior.
"I understand sir, this is war after all, securing one's position is only natural."

The Marshall felt uncomfortable at that remark.

Lupus continued.
"Is at least possible to have the adjourned situation of the campaign?"

This request seemed to relieve a bit of the tension from Chas' shoulders.
"Of course, this is in your right as commander of the Green Company, especially considering your contribution.
I have recently received a brief prospect of what happened, obviously the temporal reference is the Green Company headquarter."

Due to relativistic effects establishing a common time throughout the whole of the Commonwealth was unthinkable, especially for astrocrafts covering enormous distances at hyper-luminous speed.

So, different frames of reference had been established, in the case of a military campaign usually they were, in order, the headquarter, the nearest base, the command ship of a battle group or one of the designated sub-command ships.

The prospect stated as follow:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Campaign Timeline with Operational Zones and Designated Battle Groups:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At 06:05, as anticipated, the Jehnizars launched the first attack against the Green Company's base on Karhyen, subsequently the assigned forces engaged the enemy in battle.

(Fringe Sector, Karhyen System)
Field Commander: Norian Dhen
Lieutenant: Commander Georian Sthar
Adjoined Commander: Lupus Wulfen
Karhyen's Base Commander: Anton Brent

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 06:45, as by previous orders, Zhenar Xhan' s battle group entered the Theresian Quadrant approaching enemy territory, at this point the sensors detected a distortion signal very similar to the one produced by their own battlecruisers, subsequently Captain Damian Houser was sent to investigate.

(Fringe Sector, Theresian Quadrant)
Field Commander:Zhenar Xhan

At 07:45 Captain Damian Houser reach the Xhanadar wall, situated at the border of the Fringe Sector with the Central Sectors, here he gets confirmation that the registered echo is in fact a battlecruiser similar to the new battlecruisers deployed by the Commonwealth and witnesses the encouter with two other similar vessels.
Subsequently he decides to follow them without breaking radio silence.

(Fringe Sector, Xhanadar wall)
Captain Damian Houser

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 8:00 the Jehnizar attack against Karhyen is repelled, Adjoined Commander Lupus Wulfen is sent sfter the retiring forces in an attempt to capture an enemy vessel.

At 08:15 Jehnizar rmaining forces are attacked by five unknown vessels that are at first seen as friendly or at least known by the enemy, the vessels seems to employ particle disruptors.

At 08:30 the Wanderers Militia of Lupus Wulfen strike at both the opponents succeeding in capturing a Jehnizar battlecruiser.

At 09:00 he receive orders from Field Commander Norian Dhen to making route towards the Green Company Headquarters with confidential orders.

(Fringe Sector)
Adjoined Commander Lupus Wulfen's Wanderers Militia

At 09:00 Zhenar Xhan' s battle group lunch a succesful attack with Nutron Bombs against the principal Jehnizar military outpost in the Theresian Quadrant, indicated as NV7/G3X.
Subsequently he decides to retire making route towards the Green Company Headquarters.

(Theresian Quadrant)
Zhenar Xhan' s battle group

At 9:05 the Green Company Headquarter receives the first communication from Captain Damian Houser that three unknown battlecruisers are en route for the Central Sectors, subsequently a Critical Deliberation is issued by Honorary Consul Ferrygan of the Directorate supported by Counselor Arbhert in behalf of the Representativity, Battle Marshall Karl Chas doesn't adhere.

At 09:15 Battle Marshall Karl Chas issues the Gamma Protocol.

(Central sectors, External Quadrant, Green Company Headquarters on Thaneran IV)
Battle Marshall Karl Chas

At 09:30 Field Commander Velhar Kraszyek's battle group with the support of Captain Damian Houser engages the three unknown battlecruisers in combat destroying them completely.

(Central Sectors, Epsilon Quadrant)
Field Commander: Velhar Kraszyek
Lieutenant: Commander Jonar Eryxhian
Second Lieutenant: Druszieck Kraszyek

Reinforcement: Captain Damian Houser

Not engaged in battle at the moment.

(Outer Sectors)
Field Commander: George Gragg
Lieutenant:Commander Dorian Ten-Har
Adjoined Commander: Thurian Kar

Note:

All the entries must still receive confirmation from formal reports.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next>

Kz3r0

Arcane
Dormancy

After examining the prospect Wulfen considered his position.
"From this prospect is apparent that you, sir, are in disaccord with the institutions of the Commonwealth, for reasons that I can't imagine, but that you don't trust them that much is clear."

Karl Chas remained silent at this remark.

Wulfen observed the Marshall for few seconds.
"Sir."
He said raising up.

"There's nothing worse to face for a soldier than the treason of the people you are fighting for."

Lupus advanced of two steps and made the salute.
"I accept your proposal sir."

At this Karl Chas promptly left his seat.
"Thank you Commander, this means a lot to me."
In saying this the Battle Marshall shook Wulfen's hand with a smile.

The hours passed how the reports piled up on Chas' desk, all enemy activities seemed to have ceased, the only thing that interrupted that monotony was the arrival of Zhenar Xhan's battle group.

The Marshall gave dispositions for their stationing while inviting the commander to a private meeting for getting the last adjournments directly by him and see his reaction to the documents Wulfen brought.

The meeting went smoothly until Zhenar Xhan directly addressed the question of the Gamma Protocol.

"I am sure you had your reasons sir, nonetheless such decision is very worrysome, while treason undoubtedly occurred , we can't determine to such extent at the moment tho, you seem to fear a takeover of the Commonwealth by unknown forces."

The Marshall cautiosly exposed his cause.
"I simply opposed what seemed a very unnecessary and haste measure, and took the needed steps to protect the Commonwealth from every possible threat."

Commander Xhan nodded.
"Indeed sir, your concern seem justified and you took the proper actions, however, this situation wouldn't last longer, in few days will probably there be a formal declaration, opposing that will mean going down a path of no return."

Karl Chas could clearly hear the gravity in Xhan's tone, that continued.
"I hoppe that you will have more than suspicions to back your decision at that time sir, and even so my troops and I will never support a military dictatorship, our commitment to any decision you will take will be based first and foremost on the interest of the Commonwelth and its freedom, I hope you will understand sir."

The Battle Marshall felt all the weight of his long service as a soldier while answering.
"I understand Commander, and I assure you that your concern amd commitment is the same as mine, however, it will be better postpone this discussion after the documents brought here by Commander Wulfen will have been fully decyphered and the interrogatory of the enemy captain completed, after that we will have a consult with all the Field Commanders and will concord a line of action, as by statute of the Green Company."

Zhenar Xhan at this words raised up.
"In this case I will remain at your disposal until then, sir."
Respectfully he executed the salute.
"With your permission Marshall, I will take my leave now."

"You have my permission Commander."
Answered Chas.

With this Xhan left the room.

At parsecs of distance George Gragg and Dorian Ten-Har were discussing the implications of the enforcement of the Gamma Protocol.

The xeno-human was wearing a modified tactical armor of the same emerald color as all the others of the Green Company, a common practice in the outer sectors even among humans.
Besides, some commander even used xeno-artifacts as armor when possible, disguising them as best they can, despite all tentatives to reach some kind of uniformity old habits die hard, and most commanders didn't want to renounce to a possible edge in a fight.

"Something is happening George, first those unknown battlecruiser appear, and according to the reports they are very similar to the ones under Xhan's command, immediately afterwards the Gamma Protocol is instated, practically forcing us to preside our sectors of competence instead of intervene in support of the Central sectors as originally planned."

Commander Gragg answered with his usual frankness.
"I don't see anything wrong with that, the very possibility of treason made such choice completely understandable."

Dorian Ten-Har's crest of spiked, light brown,hair waved nervously as he scrolled his head.
"Don't delude yourself George, addressing a specific order to our battle group would have been enough, the Gamma Protocol is an over-kill, unless the Marshall fears or suspects something worse or has been forced to act so."

Gragg looked at his friend with what resembled a worried look, it was always hard to tell with that child-like appearance of his.
"This is your mistrust of the Commonwealth that is speaking Dorian, is too soon for drawing any kind of conclusion at the moment, I completely trust Karl Chas judgment, and you should too, he has always guaranteed the freedom of the sectors with his authority and personal commitment."

Ten-Har put an hand on the shoulder of his friend.
"You are a good friend George, I am grateful for all you and the Green company have done for us, but things are changing, well beyond our ability to control them."
Dorian tried to expose his point without offending his friend.
"The Commonwealth is expanding constantly, even if they don't have hostile intentions is inevitable that they will phagocytize the Outer Sectors, we cherish our independence, and while the Green Company has been a safeguard against the Directorate militaristic attitude there's little it can do against a system fueled by sheer demographic and economical pressure as the Representativity is."

George Gragg's expression resembled a sulking kid at these words.
"Dorian, you well know that I owe my loyalty to the Green Company, why this discourse now?"

Ten-har retracted his hand leaning against his seat.
"Until now we have fought united against any alien menace, but will not be longer that the commonwealth could well become as threatening, already our enemies have come to us sporting the very weapons that should have protected us, we have reached a point of no return, things will never be the same again, no matter who committed treason, profound transformations will born out of this, we can only hope that we will not be on the opposite sides after all of this will end."

With this words the xeno-human commander stood up.
"Now, George, with you permission I will return to my duties. "

He left the room under the frowning look of his friend.

After issuing the last orders Karl Chas retired into his quarters at the end of an extenuating day.
In the hours after his encounter with Xhan there was no more reports of enemy activities, but what really worried him was what would have happened in the next weeks.
Directorate and Representativity were planning a conjoined session, the first of its kind, even if someone had already planned this in advance the material time to organize an emergency session of an organization spanning entire solar systems would have been enough to let the Battle Marshall organize his forces for every eventuality.

The real question however was what kind of reaction he could expect from his Field Commanders, he planned to have all of them reunited in his presence after the issuing of the Formal Declaration, and then the future of the Commonwealth would have been decided.

With this uncomfortable thoughts Karl Chas fall asleep.

Continue...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

*Sorry for the waiting, real life decided to bother me more than I expected, there is the possibility that in the coming months I couldn't be able to update this LP, so I tried to give a sense of closure to the first part while outlining the position of the various commanders before the fateful meeting.
This means that it will possible to use the in game time for exposing further how the Commonwealth and the game universe work in the form of a mini LP still connected to the main LP, a sort of X-files, so to speak, depending on my possibilities I will try to insert Wulfen in it just to not make feel it too disconnected if will not make the thing too long.

However, I am planning to make an update next with my considerations where I will outline how the game developed and the different outcomes of your decisions.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Kz3r0' s Considerations

I am working on the next update but I can't promise anything, let' see what happens next week.
However, as promised here are my considerations about this LP, for anyone interested.

How This LP Come About

Initially I wanted to try to write an LP to realize the kind of games I like, so, to improve my skills the initial idea was to make a Mass Effect parody but as I thought it out and began to write the first chapters it quickly evolved in serious business, it retained however its experimental nature, where I tried to approximate a real game as much as I could using only text.
Hence the multiple fronts battles with different points of view involving characters with different motivations, here I have used a basic rule. as long as the character is not hostile it can be used, an element that I would like to implement with more depth, where the usage of characters with their own motivations is a kind of a narrative puzzle, and it's up to the players to make the most fitting choices based on this variable for the outcome they desire.
If until now the implementation of such mechanic has been successful is something for the players to decide, improvements are always possible, of course.

The First Draft

Originally Wulfen would have been the last survivor of the Green Company, after a victorious epic battle against an alien menace threatening the existence of Humanity itself the remnants of the Green Company should have been attacked by one of their own, Zhenar Xhan, at the orders of the Supreme Council, a decision motivated by the fear that the Green Company could overtake the Human Federation, or something like that.
The basic premises were that now Wulfen was a rogue roaming the galaxy with his crew, initially inspired to Mass Effect characters, and then he would have been contacted by the very people that betrayed him for his abilities.
A word more about Zhenar Xhan, as I originally conceived him he was cold and ruthless, but only if that was in the best interests of the Human Federation.
By this original idea stemmed the whole plot that is unraveling now.

How Evolved

The more I thought about the whole deal however things changed, I wanted to realize an 'absolute' game, where the players could decide almost everything, and so I first conceived interactive flashbacks that could affect the development of the character and future actions, an Idea that I discarded because could become very cumbersome for the narrative.
Step after step I arrived to the conclusion, that a sort of origins should have been the best option, also, I liked the idea of an epic battle in space as opening.
At the moment, I would like to implement a sort of concurrent narrative, quite ambitious and too dependent on what RL would permit me to do at the moment, the general idea is that while we follow Wulfen there will be interval chapters involving future characters of his crew that will determine a lot of things before they all embark in the final epic quest to save the multiverse, or something like that.

The Conspiracy Aspect

This is something that I would have preferred was discovered by the players through hints here and there, but it was too complicated and probably I lack the skills to do this, the setting itself didn't helped, finding the proves of such thing is already hard, if you are a soldier in the front lines becomes almost impossible, that's why I have resorted to the old plot device of the discovery of secret documents, even if blended with the general setting and dependent on players' actions, to be clear, if Wulfen didn't chase the Jehnizar battlecruiser or destroyed it Karl Chas now wouldn't have any element to support his decisions and convince the commanders.

Characterization

At the beginning of this LP someone complained about the characters being exXxtreme, well, this is an exXxtreme LP, but it should be also considered that presenting characters with broad strokes at the beginning is functional to the LP and more convenient, considering that some could not appear anymore or another would require more depth depending by how the LP evolves.
Obviously the only ones that can judge how good the characterization is are the players, I don't pretend to be such a good writer that with two lines create can describe or create a complex human being.

C&C

First let me address this:
After going back to the first update (the first two in particular seem to give us our very basic understanding of the Representivity vs Directorate issues and conflict) I could really work out about Kraszyek is that he prefers the Directorate and is not a fan of aliens (being from the Central Sectors).

My first thought was that we are now in the role of Kraszyek who has presumably received orders from the Directorate to prepare for military conflict with the Green Company but apparently this is not so. Is Kraszyek just a member of Green Company who happens to prefer the Directorate's style due to his personality and Central Sector upbringing?
I couldn't properly answer the first time, but now I can say that Oscar is mostly correct, if at the beginning the player would have choose to not intervene the authority of the Battle Marshall would have been shaken leading later on to an open conflict between Kraszyek and Xhan, with the player having to choose which side to support, this was avoided by backing openly Chas' plan.
Other pivotal choices were to investigate the echo, quite obvious now, and waiting at the Xhanadar wall, acting too soon would have lead to Houser's battlecruiser destruction, of Wulfen retrieving the documents I have already wrote.

Hope you have found this interesting, if there is anything you want to address feel free to do so.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I have decided to continue this despite things not being completely being settled down at the moment, this means that it's possible that will be abandoned again due to real life reasons.

This update is the first of a series that will try to introduce more elements that will outline the Wulfen Universe, however, being my objective to give as much control to the players as possible, at the end of the update there will be a choice that will influence the environment and future developments of the story.
Some ideas that I would like to implement could not be well received by the players hence my decision to use this method to select them.
Fear not, I will alternate with other updates that will concern Lupus Wulfen.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

De Humanitatis

Daimat V was home to the most important research centers of the Commonwealth, directly controlled by the Directorate

One of the most heavily fortified compound in the Central Sectors, if not the most, people jokingly mused that it hosted secret weapons which existence hadn't been revealed yet, for many it was a certainty.

Roger Trevnor nervously adjusted himself in the seat, in front of him was Alexander Kzarevsky,
Scientific Coordinator of the Commonwealth, the absolute ruler of Daimat V, a scientist, and man of the Directorate.

He was a double exception, as a scientist he was expression of the military, and managed to achieve a command position that usually wasn't reserved to scientists, no matter how loyal they were.

While many joined the Directorate scientific institutions out of necessity to progress in their studies or to fulfill their ambitions, Kzarevsky was the only example of pure political reasons, his opinion that science was a tool, a strictly controlled tool, and not a goal in itself, was widely known.

What made such opinion so controversial was the fact that it came from a brilliant genius and not from some hard nosed
military consul.

Comprehensibly Trevnor wondered what such person could want from a bio-anthropologist, his puzzlement had grown even more when he first saw Kzarevsky, the man responsible for the technological advancement of the Commonwealth wore a pair of spectacles, when everyone else got corrective surgery or used electronic devices to enhance their senses the coordinator instead relied on such an antique.

"You are not the first."
Said with a smile the object of Trevnor's curiosity.

"Pardon?"
Replied the surprised bio-anthropologist.

"These."
Answered Kzarevsky tapping on his eyes prop with a finger.
"It's the first thing people notice."

"Well you have to convene that's an unusual sight."
He felt a little embarrassed by that quite mundane conversation.

"I have no problems in satisfying your curiosity doctor Trevnor, it's nothing very personal or private."
The coordinator continued to smile, but that didn't seem to make his guest a bit more comfortable, quite the contrary actually.
"They are a reminder, a reminder to remain concrete, science sometimes has the tendency to degenerate, chasing elaborate fantasies mistaking them as solid facts."

Roger Trevnor got slightly agitated by that discourse, even if that seemed the usual bickering of soft and hard sciences, Kzarevsky' s words carried a sinister undertone to his ears, for no good reason.

The coordinator was still continuing with his considerations.
"Let's look at those old theories, the speed of light is the limit, when is reached mass tends to infinity."
He said in a declamatory tone.
"A clear nonsense, a paradox more than rigorous science, and the alternative was even worse, warp speed they called it, with the astrocraft traveling through subspace or some other ad hoc fancy alternate dimension."

The coordinator seemed very passionate about the subject noted Trevnor.

Kzarevsky continued with fervor.
"When finally the means to surpass the speed of light were developed the mass sublimation effect was discovered, this 'infinite' mass dissipated, drawing back the speed under the limit, a sort of natural self regulating mechanism, thanks to
the mass compensation chambers now astrocrafts can travel at several times the speed of light, with the little inconvenience that they are still traveling in the physical space of this universe, requiring thorough exploration to determine safe routes, because even if the mass sublimation effect is enough to annihilate little objects, a useful feature for warships I must add, big asteroids and planetoids are still trouble."

The coordinator finally stopped smiling at his interlocutor.
"Sorry sometimes I got carried away, I hope in your comprehension as a fellow scientist doctor Trevnor."

The bio-anthropologist despite his resolution to prudence couldn't contain himself.
"Abstract thought is what define us both as sentient beings and humans, while not quantifiable is from there that science comes and any of our achievements."

Kzarevsky seemed amused by the remark.
"Still is technology that widened our horizons and broadened the scope of our researches, not speculation."
In saying this there was the shade of a faint smile on his lips.

Trevnor couldn't help but to feel irritated.
"Technology advanced thanks to the vision that compelled many to create new tools for pursuing and realize it."

The look on the face of the Coordinator was decisively skeptical.
"Technology is the result of needs and pulsions created and shaped by external stimuli."

"Nonetheless is abstract thought that permits to us to overcome these needs and pulsions and bestowed us with the capability to dominate our environment and freeing us from the dependence of day by day necessities , permitting to the human race as a whole and us as individuals to define and devise our own purpose and desires."
Trevnor felt embarrassed after that tirade, it wasn't his intention to be so preachy, but worst of all the conversation risked to turn political very soon, something that he would have gladly avoided.

Kzarevsky maintained his amiable attitude.
"You sound like one of the Brothers of Reason doctor Trevnor."

That was a low blow, the Brothers of Reason was the thing most similar to a religion that the Commonwealth ever had, for a scientist was very unflattering and demeaning being compared to them.

Trevnor's pride as a scientist couldn't let him not respond to that.
"Science is not about negating humanity itself."

"True"conceded the coordinator,"but too much philosophizing can lead exactly in that direction, I am sure that you are aware of the attempts made by some people to restrict the very definition of human based on some misguided convintion."

So it's true that Kzarevsky fiercely adverse any notion of human supremacy thought Trevnor, that made him feel a bit relieved.

"I think that you will agree with me, as a bio-anthropologist, doctor Trevnor, that trying to restrict the concept of human to some specific morphological traits is preposterous considering the adaptive characteristics displayed by some of the oldest colonies and their intermingling with other sentients."

Trevnor felt that he was entering a minefield with that turn in the conversation, so he decided to answer in the most neutral of ways.
"I think that you are referring to the issues of hyper-humans and xeno-humans."

Kzarevsky looked at him strangely.
"What s your professional opinion about hyper-humans doctor Trevnor, do they really exist?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A)
"It's the typical reaction of the ignorant, giving a name to unsustantiated fears, it's obvious that with the variety of environments in which humans are living at the moment some of them will began to display physical abilies more suited for said environments."

B)
"The variety of mutations displayed by humans at the moment could easily differentiate them to the point to create different species, with some advantageous characteristic respect to others but not an overall superiority ."

C)
"At the moment there are humans which principal environment has been the inside of an astrocraft for generations, some of them could be easily considered a space race separated from the rest, someone could consider them superior in a certain sense."

D)
"There is no conclusive evidence in any sense, maybe with further investigations."

Kz3r0

Arcane
Principia

Trevnor answered almost immediately.
"It's the typical reaction of the ignorant, giving a name to unsubstantiated fears, it's obvious that with the variety of environments in which humans are living at the moment some of them will began to display physical abilities more suited for said environments."

"So, you think that all the claims of someone displaying abilities that far exceeds the standard human being are just an exaggeration?"
Asked Kzarevsky in a plain manner.

"All these claims never passed the test of a a thorough scientific scrutiny, I can assure you that we are not breeding a race of super humans beings, in fact the human type has remained remarkably unchanged despite being so widespread on a vast number of planets with vastly different ambient conditions."
Reiterated Trevnor.

The Coordinator pointed his eyes at the ceiling.
"If only some people in the directorate would be convinced by these arguments."

He returned his gaze back on the bio-anthropologist.

"How do you explain, doctor Trevnor, such uniformity?As of now I am aware of two major theories that explain this, the concurrent evolution on different planets, with subsequent assimilation, and the diffusion theory, the most popular form what I get, with evolution and subsequent propagation from a single planet."

Trevnor moved uncomfortably in his seat, the conversation was heading in the direction that he feared the most.
"The most logical supposition would be a single point of origin."
This was the most diplomatic answer he could muster.

"But not known planet in the globular system does seem to qualify as this primitive starting point."
Kzarevsky expression was unchanged but Trevnor had the distinct impression that his eyes slightly narrowed in asking this.

"As you should be well aware Coordinator the records of the Commonwealth are sorely incomplete duet to the vicissitudes that marked its origins."
The bio-anthropologist was acting defensively now, his suspicious attitude was encountered with a smile.

"It's written in every schoolbook, a millennium ago the central sectors and the nucleus of planets inhabited by humans came under attack by unknown forces, after miraculously surviving the various settlements began to collaborate and expand, however, after five hundred years various conflicts erupted between the various sectors, this is when the directorate was established and the foundations of the commonwealth laid, then, three hundreds years ago the various militias of the outer sectors joined forces and created the Green Company, even if this didn't stop the infightings at least manged to regulate them."
Now the Coordinator changed position on his seat and continued:
"The turning point was a century ago, when the Xanaghars tried to took complete control of the Globular system and for a while seemed that they could succeed in enslaving us, fortunately we managed to annihilate them, this brought more instability inside the Commonwealth alas, but at the moment we can look forward to the future with more confidence, despite the Jehnizar menace."

Joining the tips of his fingers Kzarevsky concluded:
"And this is a very succinct History of the Commonwealth, but, you see, doctor Trevnor, even despite the vast destruction and loss of records we managed to reconstruct the origin of many xeno-races inhabiting the Globular System, except for us, how do you explain that?"
Now he was looking at the bio-anthropologist intently.

Clearly a provocation, word was that the Directorate was withholding data and covering up archaeological findings on that very subject, but this wasn't something that Trevnor could say to the Scientific Coordinator of the Commonwealth.

"But maybe you are not very interested in this very subject doctor Trevnor, there are already so many divisive issues, and the dispute about the origins of the Human race can only exacerbate them, don't you think?"

"So this is your reason" thought the bio-anthropologist wondering about his answer.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

A)Investigating the origins of the Human race can be essential to understand past and future menaces.

B)The Coordinator is right, investigating further can create more divisions and troubles, it's not that important by the way.

Kz3r0

Arcane
My apologies for such a long wait below there is the new chapter, it will be followed by a last one prior to going back to Wulfen proper.

Kz3r0

Arcane
OBSCURA

Trevnor tried to find a more comfortable position in his seat, well aware of the provocation of the Coordinator he decided to address it directly.
"There is another possibility, that the Human race originally developed outside of the Globular System."

Kzarevsky seemed surprised by such sincerity.
"I heard of such conjecture, do you adhere to that theory doctor Trevnor?"

"More than adhere I just think that deserves more consideration."
The bio-anthropologist felt more confident now that the most feared argument was discussed openly.

"In this case can you outline the merits of this supposition for me, I am very curious."
The Coordinator showed genuine interest.

"Well, as bio-anthropologist I can indicate some factor in favor of an exo-genesys, as this theory is usually called."
Now the scientific attitude took over prudence.
"For example the standard twenty-four hours a day cycle, widely use as standard reference on astrocrafts and as official time of the Commonwealth, in fact, while this seems to best coincide with the needs of human physiology it doesn't have any correspondence with a known planet or solar system."

"But doctor Trevnor, that's just a convention decided by the scientific community, this is why serves its purpose so well, aren't you confusing terms here?"
This was quite blunt on part of Kzarevsky, sign that gloves were off, any faux-pas could have dire consequences thought the bio-anthropologist.

Unfazed he continued.
"The point still stands, human physiology seems to have evolved in an environment outside of the Globular System.And it's not only that, there are our eyes, attuned to a very specific range of the spectrum, that, again, has no correspondence with any known solar system, and many other cues that indicate a very specialized development in a specific environment, like bone density and the correlation with the force of gravity, to which our astrocrafts have been specifically calibrated, despite is a very unconventional value by the standards of Commonwealth' planets."

The coordinator didn't look impressed by that.
"I am not questioning your competence doctor Trevnor, but you should convene that what you are mentioning can be
easily explained as convergent adaptations developed in generations of space travel, where astrocrafts have become the de facto evolutionary environment for many, this physiological adaptation can be easily considered as some sort of median value based on the potential of an original biological template that has been diluted and obfuscated by the diffusion of the Human race on so many different planets."

Trevnor wasn't intentioned to concede to arguments that he considered very superficial and that just assumed the empirical data as a sufficient self explanation of themselves, in short, it's so because it's so.
"There were instances of people isolated for long times in adrift space vessels in which only the basic survival system was operating, and these people, despite being from different planetary systems, all naturally reverted to the very same physiological values, that were also the best for speeding their recovery in the medical artificial chambers."

Kzarevsky calmly replied.
"These data are too inconsistent and sparse to be considered, besides, until now no proof of a genetic correlation with these specific physiological characteristics has been discovered yet, if I am not mistaken."

Trevnor was filled with discomfort at this remark, all the genetic studies were strictly controlled by the Directorate, and in many cases they were tantamount to state secrets, the bio-anthropologist realized that in discussing such subject was the equivalent to chasing a red herring, and now he was cornered, accusing the Coordinator of suppressing evidence not only would have been useless, but very foolish, and dangerous, even if probably was the truth.

His only possibility was to try to beat the Coordinator at his own game.
"But the fact itself that until now we haven't discovered significant genetic correlations and even less a genetic prime ancestor, so to speak, clearly supports, at least, the possibility of an outside development of the Human race."

The Coordinator shook his head.
"Lack of evidence used as evidence."

Trevnor insisted.
"There is another other strong indicator, such as the homogeneity of all the languages spoken in the various sectors, that strongly puts into question the hypothesis of a convergent evolution and points towards a shared ancestry, not only genetic but cultural too."

Kzarevsky for a moment looked surprised by that remark.

Trevnor encouraged by that hesitation decided to take a quite risky step.
"Most importantly we have archaeological findings among xeno spaceships of primitive astrocrafts that seemed conceived for Humans, this is a very strong indication for an external Human immigration."

Kzarevsky for the first time seemed irritated, xeno-artifacts, especially xeno-astrocrafts, were not only state secrets but military as well, Trevnor for a moment wondered if he dared too much.
"The major flaw of all these reasonings is that the only known place external to the Globular system from which a
mass emigration could come is a nearby galaxy, to reach which passing through the dark nebula is needed, the erratic gravitational forces in there makes almost impossible the passage even to our exploration probes, so, how is possible that our predecessors were both so advanced to travel such a distance and overcome such obstacles and at the same time they were so primitive?"

Trevnor had gone too far to stop now, so he pressed on.
"It's perfectly possible that the Dark Nebula is the result of some unknown accident or weapon, in that zone many xeno-astrocrafts were discovered which origin is still a mystery, if didn't exist at the time of the migration is perfectly plausible that our ancestors could manage to make such travel even with relatively primitive means."

Kzarevsky didn't hide his irritation this time, with a wave of the hand he retorted:
"Now, this is just wild speculation."

Regaining his composure the Coordinator looked at the bio-anthropolist from above his joined fingertips.
"Doctor Trevnor,seems to me that you are forgetting the strongest evidence against the exo-genesys hypothesis, the genetic compatibility with the other xeno-races populating the Globular System, this is very consistent with a local evolution."

Here Trevnor regained confidence, it was his field after all.
"Unless exists a bridge race that can link all the others present in the Globular system, a species such as the Jenharys."

In saying this Trevnor involuntarily blushed, Jenharys were a race that originated from a vegetative form that under unknown circumstances in its evolutionary history developed the capability to mate and breed with animal lifeforms, transforming this in their preferred strategy for survival, throughout the Commonwealth they were well known for their sexual availability, making them sought as entertainers and prostitutes, in the worst cases as slaves, this had led to attempts to protect them from traffickers and such, but in many cases was hard to discern if they were forced into their condition or was just their natural way to deal with other species.

The Coordinator was amused by the embarrassment of the bio-anthropologist at mentioning the Jenharys.
"So, according to you, doctor Trevnor, we should research for another 'bridge' race that could connect humans to all the other species then."

"Yes, that would be ideal."
Answered rigidly the bio-anthropologist.

At this point the Coordinator took a file from a drawer in his desk.
"In this case I can have something that will interest you here, that is the principal reason why I called you here after all, by coincidence seems that our little digression was quite apropos."

Trevnor wasn't so sure that was a 'coincidence', probably some sort of test he angrily thought.

"However, let me ask you a very unorthodox question before I give you this file, do you believe in magic doctor Trevnor?"

The bio-anthropologist looked with incredulity at Kzarevsky that was smiling.

___________________________________________________________________________________

A)"Just superstition, unfortunately many anthropologists fall for it as well despite their scientific training, probably due to the close involvement with the subject of their studies."

B)"I have witnessed many unexplainable occurrences myself, but probably is just lack of complete knowledge of physical phenomena on our part."

C) "No one that has been in direct contact with certain phenomena or has had a personal experience of them can doubt that in what we call magic there is at least a sliver of truth.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Sorry for the delay, again, in the next page there is the update, in the next one we will return to the Green Company.

Kz3r0

Arcane
MATRIX

After the initial surprise Trevnor answered, still unsure that wasn't a joke.
"I have witnessed many unexplainable occurrences myself, but probably is just lack of complete knowledge
of physical phenomena on our part."

Kzarevsky' smile widened at hearing this.
"That's the right spirit, being skeptic while maintaining an inquiring mind is what a scientist should always try to be, unfortunately is a very rare attitude, however I owe you an explanation for such a weird
question, do you have ever heard of a Xenomorph?"

Still baffled the bio-anthropologist answered with hesitation.
"Are you referring to that legend so widespread in the border zones of the Commonwealth of an alien being assuming any shape or form, usually of a beautiful woman, to lure men in a trap to devour them or mate to have an offspring and similar stories?"

Kzarevsky nodded.

"Well, even if I have always thought that was the typical fantasy of men living isolated in spaceships for too long there are legends among other xeno races of such a being, usually portrayed as a cruel goddess of fertility, but the scientific evidence is absolutely zero."

The coordinator slightly waved the file in his hand.
"True, seems the typical legend born in the solitude of space, but we had trustworthy reports that can make us reconsider our previous assumptions."

Said this he handed the file to the bio-anthropologist.

Trevnor leaned forward to take it and was about to examine the content inside when the coordinator spoke again.

"Er, a little formality, unfortunately certain circumstances made necessary to take some precautions, that file is classified under the martial code of the Directorate, I am sure that you understand what that implies doctor Trevnor."

Trevnor became immobile like a statue at hearing that, under the martial code any kind of information was a state secret which violation warranted the death penalty at the exclusive judgment of the officer in charge, this also made very unlikely that any research conducted on that particular subject would reach the general public.

Seeing his hesitation the Coordinator reassured him.
"No need to worry, I wouldn't have handed you such an important document if I wasn't sure of your discretion, and despite its classification you wouldn't have any obligation afterwards, except for the understandable secrecy, things will be different if you will accept to conduct an exploratory mission for me, but now I am getting ahead of myself, please examine the file at your leisure."

For an instant Trevnor was tempted to refuse, but in the end his scientific curiosity prevailed and he opened the file and begun to read.

The coordinator raised from his seat.
"Sorry, but I have to leave you for a while I have neglected my duties long enough, I can ask to bring something to drink or eat if you desire."

"There is no need thank you."
Mumbled Trevnor absorbed in the examination of the file.

Kzarevsky slowly closed the door behind him and walked down the corridor reaching a reserved lift that could be used only by him.
The cabin traveled at incredible speed on electromagnetic rails covering kilometers under the surface of the planet.

Exiting the coordinator received the military salute of the attendants of the tactical room of Tiamat V, similar to the one hosted by the headquarters of the Green Company and the Directorate, its purpose was not only to analyze data and to provide scientific counsel but also to work as reserve in case one of the other tactical rooms was destroyed or cut of from the communications.

Answering the salute of the men wearing the black and silver uniform of the Directorate scientific division Kzarevsky entered
his real office, differently from the one he left, where he usually received his guests, here he could control all the scientific activities of the Commonwealth, and many secret military activities. as well

The Coordinator took place behind the desk, reclining against the seat he slowly took off the spectacles letting his gaze wander around the room as observing some distant and foreign land, his mental vagaries were interrupted by the warning light of one of the monitors' screen in front of him.

Putting up the glasses again he switched on the reserved communication channel that very few people in the Directorate had access to.

"Greetings Coordinator."
Welcomed from the screen a figure sporting the insignia of the inner council of the Directorate.

"Greetins Praetor Ahrlagh, how things are proceeding?"

"Always on point Coordinator."
Said the Praetor with a smile, and then continued.
"Almost everything is ready for issuing a Formal Declaration, even if some other delay can be expected due to residual resistance inside the Council."

"Kraszyek, as expected."
Interrupted the coordinator.

"Bureaucracy had its role in this too."
The praetor continued.
"After all this is the first time that the Representativity is involved, slowing things considerably, soon you will have to offer your expertise in front of the General Assembly thus convened."

Kzarevsky didn't look pleased in hearing this.
"It can't be helped I guess, even if is just a formality, the data are quite clear, the three unknown battlecruisers that invaded the territory of the Commonwealth not only had similar design but the particle signature of their propulsion system was practically identical to the signature of the engines of the new battlecruisers of the Commonwealth, even if they had been developed from similar concepts such precise correspondence indicates identical technical solutions too, very unlikely as a coincidence."

"I know that this is a bother for you doctor Kzarevsky but many people will need your reassurance before taking such an important decision."
Said Ahrlagh

"I understand this, and I will offer my best professional advice on the subject when requested."
Diplomatically said Kzarevsky.
"Thank you again for having had me adjourned on this Praetor."

"There is no need to thank me Coordinator, now I have to leave, probably next time we will meet in person at the hearings of the General assembly, until then my best regards."

"Best regards Praetor."
In saying this Kzarevsky switched off the communication.

The Coordinator reflected for a while then he opened another secret communication channel."Arkadyn, get ready we don't have much time left."

"The bio-anthropologist has accepted then?"
Asked Arkadyn.

"I still have to get his answer but will not be long that traveling through the Commonwealth could become troublesome, in an hour I will give you specific orders."
In saying this the coordinator closed the channel.

Coming back Kzarevsky found Trevnor still deeply absorbed in the reading of the file.
"You seems very interested doctor Trevnor, any thoughts on the subject?"
In saying this he put a closed container on front of him on the desk.

The bio-anthopologist raise his eyes visibly excited.
"What is written here is amazing but are only accounts from military personnel, are there any material proofs?"

The Coordinator smiled.
"This is why I brought you this."
He indicated the container.
"During a mission the troops of the Directorate managed to bring back something very tangible."
In saying this Kzarevsky began to input the code to open the container.

At the peak of his curiosity Trevnor leaned forward to see what was inside.

After opening up the container revealed a crystal theca inside of which was what resembled a female human hand suspended in a powerful containment field.
Slowly the object began to turn on itself changing from a pale white skin hand to a jet black claw, then began to covering up whit spotted fur, after few other changes began to look like an inanimate rock.

Fascinated the bio-anthropologist asked:
"Is it alive?"

"We don't know"
Was the answer of the Coordinator.

Trevnor looked at Kzarevsky with incredulity, now the 'hand' had a metallic appearance and glitter.

"Before continuing this conversation I need to know one thing tho."
Said the coordinator with a grave tone.
"Are you interested in carrying a mission for me Doctor Trevnor?"

The bio-anthopologist looked perplexed at this request.
"Surely you have better qualified people than me for this and..."
Kzarevsky raised an hand interrupting him.

"As you may know the Outer Sectors are not very keen on the Directorate's rule and to avoid incomprehensions we decided to resort to a civilian research expedition, I will be honored if you will accept to being in charge of such expedition."

"So, this is why you called me here."
Thought Trevnor, he was well aware that after some tension with the Directorate the Outer Sectors were granted some modicum of autonomy and at the moment the Green Company had replaced the Directorate's forces in maintaining order and conducting scientific researches.

The bio-anthropologist was well aware that accepting would have meant to be part of a secret plot of the Directorate, or maybe some personal scheme of Kzarevsky, but that was probably his only opportunity to finally uncover the truth about many mysteries that were his secret professional obsession, and even if bound by secrecy maybe he could have found a way to let any discovery he could made known to the general public.

___________________________________________________________________________________

A)Accept, you will conduct the mission for the Coordinator as Trevnor.

B)Refuse, things will evolve on their own without any involvement from the players.

C)Conduct the mission for the Coordinator as his trusted subordinate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom