Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP] Enlist in the Royal Dragoons! Codex plays Sabres of Infinity

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

JRIz

Augur
It would make sense if discipline was the most important stat, making up for both low morale and loyalty. But I am unsure as to the exact effect of loyalty. Would our men truly abandon their families and their king in this foreign land?

Our discipline is already quite good so let's take no chances and do 2.

It would make sense if discipline was the most important stat, making up for both low morale and loyalty. But I am unsure as to the exact effect of loyalty. Would our men truly abandon their families and their king in this foreign land?

Our discipline is already quite good so let's take no chances and do 2.

Discipline is specifically...let's call it "combat" discipline. How well drilled your dudes are, how effective at fighting in formation and performing maneuvers. Pretty sure also affects things like looting and other post-combat conduct.

Whereas Loyalty is "don't shoot the cornet" discipline. Affects how highly your dudes think of you and how (un)likely they are to hold secrets from you or take actions against you.

Inspire my men by example.

You have made a prolonged and determined effort to lead your men by example. You are at the head of every patrol. When a river needs to be forded, you always try to cross first. Before long, your men seem more sure of themselves, if only because they know that should they fall into a trap, you would end up dead before them.

-

As summer turns to autumn, the weather begins to take a turn for the worse. The sky is overrun with dark clouds which disgorge an overwhelming amount of rain. The paths which you ride upon, formerly firm, turn into a morass of knee-deep mud under the weeping sky.

After a month and a half of this muddy hell, you step out of your cramped quarters one early morning to find the ground frozen solid. The trees around the outpost are covered with a thin sheen of frost and a bitter northerly wind sends stabs of cold through your thick woollen tunic.

Before you can go back inside to find your greatcoat, a Grenadier ensign, shivering beneath a large, fur-lined cloak, approaches to inform you that the outpost commander wishes to see you and the other officers in his office.

-

The commander of your outpost and several other satellite camps is a Wulframite nobleman of the oldest pedigree: Lord Captain Sir Enrique d'al Hunter, 12th Viscount of Wolfswood. A Knight-Captain of the Order of Saint Jerome as well as an officer in the Grenadier Guards, he is a banecaster of the ninth calibre, a powerful force on the battlefield with his knightly bane-hardened plate and enchanted longsword.

Lord Captain Hunter is the epitome of the Grenadier Guards officer: dashing, handsome and reckless to the point of foolishness. His disposition is perhaps well suited for an elite and highly prestigious regiment of heavy infantry, but in his current position commanding a section of a vast and porous defensive front, his aggressive talent is wasted.

Despite his reckless streak, Captain Hunter (as he prefers to be called, eschewing all noble affectations and titles on duty) seems a relatively competent leader. The Captain greets you warmly as the ensign ushers you into his office and you take your place among the other officers.

-

"Ah! Ortiga!" He steps forward to shake your hand, as is his habit, even when among his own subordinates. "Very good, glad you could make it. Damned cold won't be making your life much easier, will it?"

You make small talk with the Captain and the other officers for another few minutes as one or two late stragglers file in. When Captain Hunter is finally satisfied that all of his officers are present, he clears his throat.

"Gather around, gentlemen."

Captain Hunter produces a large map and unrolls it over the top of his desk. As you and your fellow officers crowd around, you can see quite clearly that it is a somewhat rough chart of the immediate area.

"I know many of you have been hit with a bit of ennui over the last few days, so this should come as good news: we're about to do a bit of scrapping."

-

Captain Hunter explains the situation: The night before, one of the advanced listening posts had spotted a large group of Antari, heading south along the road towards the bridge, perhaps two hundred or so in all. With them are apparently a series of large carts loaded with crates.

"As you well know gentlemen, winter will soon be upon us. It is likely that some Lord of the Congress is attempting a final push against our forces further to the east. I would think it very likely that this force is a supply caravan, loaded down with food or winter supplies for what ever army might be gathering out there. Thus, it is imperative that we stop this force."

It is clear that the Captain is set on battle. A few worried murmurs rattle about in the crowded room. To stop such a force would require immediate action without adequate preparation or reinforcement from the other outposts under the Captain's command, against a force that outnumbers the entire Tierran garrison four to one.

-

Captain Hunter outlines his plan: He intends to ambush them as they cross the bridge. Sending the cavalry element of the garrison (that is to say, you) ahead to scout the area and prepare the ground first, the Captain himself will lead most of the rest of the garrison behind you, setting up an ambush on the far side of the river.

When the Antari column arrives and begins its way across the narrow wooden bridge, Hunter's Grenadiers will attack the flanks and rear of the column. At the same time, you and your Dragoons are to occupy the fortified tollhouse on the Tierran side of the river, acting as a blocking force to prevent the Antari from escaping the ambush and continuing down the Imperial Highway.

While the Captain rarely asks for his subordinates' opinions on their orders, you can't help but feel that the Captain's plan is:

1) Utter foolishness. This reckless act will get us all killed.
2) Too reckless. The rewards are great but the risk would be enormous.
3) Risky, but necessary.
4) A chance for a glorious victory.
As of the Autumn of the 602nd year of the Old Imperial Era.

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 40
Income: 5

Soldiering: 64%

Charisma: 40%

Intellect: 0%

Health: 75%

Idealism: 60% Cynicism: 40%

Ruthlessness: 41% Mercy: 59%

You have no decorations as of yet.
Senior NCO: Sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 50%

Morale: 20%

Loyalty: 25%

Kipeci

Arcane
This says feel, right? Or would he say this stuff like the idiot the personal info sheet says he is?

You refuse to think of this as anything more than a chance for a true shot at glory. Six months of monotony have eroded your nerves and you would like nothing more than to get stuck in with the enemy.

-

Over the next quarter of an hour, Captain Hunter goes over the ambush positions in detail, using wooden tokens to simulate your forces, as well as those of the enemy. When he is confident that you have all reached an understanding over the planned ambush, he dismisses his own Grenadier officers, leaving you alone with the Captain.

Captain Hunter beckons you to approach. You step up right to the edge of the desk.

"You must think me mad, Cornet. To send fifty men against two hundred like this."

Before you can respond either way, the Captain continues.

"No matter. I'd think myself mad if I presented such a plan in the mirror. No need to worry though, I have a plan to even the odds, and you'll be the one to put it into action."

-

Captain Hunter reaches into a a large desk drawer and pulls out a bulky canvas satchel. With one hand, he flips open the flap to reveal a large block of blood red wax, smelling of cinnamon and pine sap. Next to it are hundreds of strips of parchment, neatly bundled, each etched with an intricate series of runes: baneseals.

"You have a reputation as an excellent officer, so I feel no reluctance in trusting this essential task to you. I require you to set these seals in preparation for a cast when you first arrive. I've drawn up a diagram and placed it at the bottom of the pack, so there is no excuse for any error. Needless to say, this cast will set the opening odds in our favour considerably. It would not be hyperbole to say that the success of the operation depends on it. Thus, I shall require you to make preparing these seals and setting them in the proper pattern to be top priority."

The Captain sets the satchel down in front of you.

"Take this with you and inform your men. I want your patrol saddled and out the gate in two hours. Dismissed."

-

Satchel in hand, you head for the enlisted men's barracks to rouse your Dragoons and inform them of the upcoming action in which they are to take part. Around you, you can already see the Grenadiers assembling by platoon. It will take them nearly half the day to arrive to the ambush position on foot.

You try to ignore the nervous sensation in the pit of your stomach as you push open the rough wooden plank door and enter the smoky and ill-lit common room of the barracks. This will be your first engagement leading your own men into combat. There will be no Captain Montez to offer you advice, no fellow cornets to watch your back. You and you alone will be responsible for leading your men to victory or death.

-

Your men are eating breakfast when you inform them of them of their new assignment. Despite the obvious danger of the mission, they wolf down their stew and black bread quickly and are at the stables, saddling their mounts within half an hour. Six months without any sort of excitement has left them spoiling for a fight.

You saddle up and strap the satchel to Thunderer's side. Giving your sabre and pistol a last check, you climb atop your mount and ease the animal towards the outpost gates. By the time you arrive, your men are already present, mounted up and ready to go.

Your heart pounds in your chest as your horse carries you to the head of the formation. Not even the chill morning wind can cool your anxiety. After a quick glance over your shoulder to ensure that your men are in formation, you face forward.

"Dragoons! Advance!"

-

It is ten kilometres as the gryphon flies from the outpost to the bridge, but the winding path down through the woods make the actual travelling distance more like twenty.

Normally, it would be an easy ride of four hours or so to reach your destination, but today time is of the essence. It would be wise to pick up the pace a bit more.

You could also risk trying to go as fast as possible. With luck and good horses, you could make the trip in less than an hour and a half, but the strain on your mounts would be immense.

Do you:

1) Take it easy. Let us spare the horses a bit.
2) Pick up the pace a bit. We cannot afford to dawdle.
3) Damn the horses! Ride at full speed!
As of the Autumn of the 602nd year of the Old Imperial Era.

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 40
Income: 5

Soldiering: 64%

Charisma: 40%

Intellect: 0%

Health: 75%

Idealism: 65% Cynicism: 35%

Ruthlessness: 41% Mercy: 59%

You have no decorations as of yet.

Senior NCO: Sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 50%

Morale: 20%

Loyalty: 25%

JRIz

Augur
Oh, oh, now that's a harsh misjudgment on the Captain's part. We possibly haven't understood the plan nor should we normally be able to set off the baneseals without incinerating ourselves and our men. Hopefully the diagram is literally fool-proof.

2. I don't get why we should go so fast. If we are in such a hurry as to be more than 2 hours late, why didn't we get up a bit earlier -- or do we need a better morale for that? 3 is crazy because it's possible we will need the horses later to follow the escaping soldiers or get away ourselves if things go south. On the other hand, with Thunderer, we could probably comfortably choose 3 as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom