Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ludo Lense Thread

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Perhaps it is a matter of perspective; I enjoy things for what they are (or not) based on what they are rather that what I want them to be.

This is exactly what is wrong with you. The moment you stop having ideals you are fucking dead. The moment you die (inside) a part of our collective consciousness dies. The result is the decline into OBLIVION.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Perhaps it is a matter of perspective; I enjoy things for what they are (or not) based on what they are rather that what I want them to be.

This is exactly what is wrong with you. The moment you stop having ideals you are fucking dead. The moment you die (inside) a part of our collective consciousness dies. The result is the decline into OBLIVION.
Yes I am dead inside and the never ending wait for the release of Grimore has made me mad

pomenitul

Arbiter

Then stop playing vidya gaemz. This place's stratospheric 'aesthetic' standards frankly teeter on the deranged. Either you take matters into your own hands and produce a work worthy of the Muses, the likes of which has yet to grace this particular medium, or you own up to what you are: a perpetually reawakened twelve year-old soul with an unslakeable thirst for D-tier grand narratives. All that time spent grousing—often wrongly—about minutiae on the 'dex, amateurishly dabbling in the language of criticism? A risible attempt at recapturing your childhood's blissfully idiotic highs, when the world was wholly other and you discerned far less than you do now. None of the bygone games whose names you still susurrate in bed before turning off the light would cut it were you to discover them today, aesthetic inflation notwithstanding. You, almost all of you, are the poor man's negative theologians, (cock)sure you'll attain the Godhead through the systematic gainsaying of its attributes. The ideal video game you so plainly long for does not exist and your quest for it isn't interesting enough to weather your repeated attempts. It is one thing to want more from [developer] based on past achievements and reasonable expectations, wholly another to hide behind wildly inappropriate criteria borrowed from older, greater fields—unless, once again, you put your shoulder to the wheel, which at the very least affords you a modicum of bragging rights as you inevitably, gruellingly fail.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
pomenitul, you observation would be correct if the old games we reference were shit, but they still hold up today, sooooo. They are not just some nostalgia-laden haze. Yes, they are obviously not on the level of the masters in other mediums, but those things take time (music took literally centuries [even millennia], the first pieces being regarded as great were produced around the 12th century AD, i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordo_Virtutum), maybe some day it will turn out that games are inherently inferior in that regard and can't produce a masterpiece for the ages. We'll see.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Then stop playing vidya gaemz.

Here are some interesting facts for you:

(1) Life is short.

(2) There are many classics in all mediums (movies, books, games, etc.).

(3) Besides enjoying classics, people can also have other interests in life (e.g., family, careers, research, etc).

(4) Given the facts (1)-(3), even if you decide to ignore every bullshit game that is released, you probably won’t have the time to play or analyze all the classics.

(5) Ergo, your standards can’t be higher enough to ensure that you are spending your time even remotely well.

I also have a moral case against popamole games like Tyranny. You decide to play a decent cRPG, you are tacitly learning how to be strategic (positioning), improving your abstract thinking (character building), developing moral fiber (trying many times until you beat a challenging fight) and the impact of your choices (reactivity). A good cRPG, especially a challenging one, builds character. Bad cRPGs are the opposite. They reward vices such as delusions of grandeur, incapacity to face adversities and lower standards of criticism. Popamole games are bad culture; they erode character, reward your stupidity and make you a worst individual overall.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Popamole games are bad culture; they erode character, reward your stupidity and make you a worst individual overall.

Yes, but I'd extend that to bad pieces in all other mediums. You heard it here first, folks, making popamole bullshit games is morally reprehensible (and it's not sarcasm).

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I beg to difer Ludo and again it certainly looks like you are now defending your opinion with your "I dont like the game because I don't" argument. If you didnt like the game and that is why you didnt replay it to check out the differences is one thing, saying that the game is not different becuse it leads to pretty much the same ending....yeah that Planescape Torment sucks because I always have to confront the Transcient One hell the game is always the same! Or that damn Master in Fallout; the game is still going to be "the same" to certain extent on those any most games but Tyranny is the first to have that reactivity before even your first dialogue since whole factions might even be unavailable even before the end of the tutorial because of this.
A friend of mine sidded with the Chorus from the start and he was surprised I managed to side with the rebels which was pretty much decided since the Conquest because of the choices I made and that lead to different areas and very different encounters
In the end I agree that yes you know that you will have to do a dance off with Kyros because that is how the game is set up but selling the game short on perhaps its most innovative selling point because you didnt care to try it. Your remind me of another reviewer I follow that didnt like Dragons Dogma because the wanted the game to be skilled based (like Dark Souls) rather than item and level based (like pretty much every japanese game ever)
Still I enjoy your viewpoint and hope to see your take on AoD

Phew lad! Careful beating up that strawman. After you are done let us move on.

I did not say that all playthroughs are the same. In fact I even praised the game with with lines such as " Tyranny does give the player old school choice and different outcomes, you can kill almost everyone in the game if all paths are taken into account."

My issues is that the the many telegraphed choices are either badly written or with lackluster execution such as the village defense.

CYOA books live and die on the quality of their writing and the same is applicable to games with a focus on branching narrative. Hence:

Choice and Consequence means nothing without Context.

Also, I have played this multiple times. That is why I know stuff like the fact
that joining the rebels is a choice completely independent of the prologue. You need to let Matani and Felox or w/e their names are go then meet up with them at the indicated spot

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You just lost my respect with your strawman comment kid, if you cant take criticism you better get a tougher skin especially on the Codex... but if you are right and everybody else is wrong then I dont care to read whatever you have to say... dont bother a writing some smartass response since I just lost interest in your arguments and unsubscribed to your shit channel you Angry Joe decline agent playing at highbrow RPG conoseur

Lacrymas

Arcane
What the hell are you going on about, Invictus? He did address the C&C thing lol.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

So I rearranged my formats a bit:

-Thought-Lapse: This format has around 10.000 character scripts. The focus is mostly on a specific idea or feature.

-Focal Point: This format has around 25.000 character scripts. The focus is mostly on a specific idea or feature.

-Depth of Play: A long form format that may contain multiple parts. The focus is mostly on a franchise or a part of gaming history.

The idea is to try and have something every 2 weeks at least even though I might not feel like doing a full length in-depth review.

I also took some audio advice and tried to sound more informal and leave some breathing in since it appears I speak too fast for too many people, especially those who don't have English has their first language.

I will also "preview" videos on the 'Dex from now on by putting them unlisted and getting first reactions here.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking forward to more videos, but I do enjoy the big ones, the nerd-out in-depth ones :)

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Looks pretty cool. Shame it's an MMO. Heard it had something special, but never got around to checking it out.
In terms of the video, my only complaint is that I feel the dig at Telltale should perhaps more appropriately have been a dig at Dreamfall Chapters instead. :P

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Looks pretty cool. Shame it's an MMO. Heard it had something special, but never got around to checking it out.
In terms of the video, my only complaint is that I feel the dig at Telltale should perhaps more appropriately have been a dig at Dreamfall Chapters instead. :P

I have a love hate relationship with the Ragnar Tørnquist adventure games but I wouldn't say even at their worst they reach Telltale's level of non-interactivity (I say this after having thoroughly enjoyed Walking Dead Season I and The Wolf Among us to a certain degree).

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I have a love hate relationship with the Ragnar Tørnquist adventure games but I wouldn't say even at their worst they reach Telltale's level of non-interactivity (I say this after having thoroughly enjoyed Walking Dead Season I and The Wolf Among us to a certain degree).
True, I suppose the 1-2 decent puzzles per Dreamfall Chapters episode is still a step up compared to the 0 per episode in the newer Telltale games.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Next video is about Witcher 1 and I would appreciate it if someone gave me a save file from

Chapter 4 village ending on the order path. I really don't want to replay from chapter 3 Bank robbery all the way to the end of Chapter 4.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

The Witcher 1 is still in the works and will get done. But I have Torment (playing it right now) and Andromeda coming out which are fresh RPGs.

Cadmus

Arcane

The Witcher 1 is still in the works and will get done. But I have Torment (playing it right now) and Andromeda coming out which are fresh RPGs.

Pretty good video. I was surprised you didn't mention (well, only really briefly) the horrible fucking colourful, bliding and intrusive and stupid as fuck GUI. The game looks way too cartoony but based on your video I downloaded Exanima which I had no idea existed and I'm trying it now.

Darkzone

Arcane

Sorry to say to you once again the video is nice, but on the analysis side it lacks.
HEMA is based upon treatises and not realism, but it tries to be realistic by the means of sparring. And in HEMA tournaments you see the realism, which is not like in the treaties. In the same moment you talk about fighting realism you show an over accelerated turnaround attack. And yeah that is so realistic as me fly, like superman.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
HEMA is based upon treatises and not realism, but it tries to be realistic by the means of sparring. And in HEMA tournaments you see the realism, which is not like in the treaties.

What does this sentence even mean? Do you think the Gladiatoria series was written for entertainment purposes? The vast majority of techniques described are realistic. In HEMA Tournaments you see a lot of the techniques described in those manuals, no idea what you mean by "realistic".

In the same moment you talk about fighting realism you show an over accelerated turnaround attack. And yeah that is so realistic as me fly, like superman.

Okay so you either didn't watch the video or didn't pay attention.

"Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai. The somewhat educated adult in me balks at the idea but the child in me, the child in me is overjoyed. This is basically action figures for all intents and purposes. However, while it is indeed not realistic by general terms it is stunningly realistic by video game standards"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom