Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mafia 4 is coming, once again in Italian sauce

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Mafia 1 was a Czech game, subsequent games have been US made. There's a pattern.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Not really. In 1 you couldn't auto-pilot the combat, like you can in popamole games. You lost a lot of health when shot, and the autosaves were very sparse. The guns had a lot of kickback to them, so you had to pause between each shot, or drag the mouse down when shooting an automatic. You can also get 'stun-locked' from a single shotgun blast, which meant you were as good as dead. And the fuckers with shotguns had a penchant for forcing the issue by rushing your position, giving you little time to reload or to change your position.
A single shotgun blast from close range usually just killed you right then and there. Same thing with Tommy gun bursts.

Every story-related combat encounter in Mafia 1 was intense and memorable. The encounters were usually set up incredibly well, and combat was lethal so you had to pay attention. In the fourth mission you were fighting a handful of guys at a shitty motel, and it felt great when you managed to pull it off. In the fourth mission of Mafia 2 you're gunning down policemen by the dozen, and it barely registers with you because the cover system is basically doing the fighting for you. Just pop those moles at your leisure and proceed to watch the next cutscene.

Man, 2002 was ages ago.

Danikas

Arcane
In the fourth mission of Mafia 2 you're gunning down policemen by the dozen, and it barely registers with you because the cover system is basically doing the fighting for you. Just pop those moles at your leisure and proceed to watch the next cutscene.
Dont forget that retarted mission early in the game when you ambush some dude with mg-42 and blast like 30 dudes in the middle of post war American metropolis with no repercussions. Mafia 2 went into the 3rd person shooter direction and it fucked the whole game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A single shotgun blast from close range usually just killed you right then and there. Same thing with Tommy gun bursts.

This being true, and enemies sometimes being around corners and whatnot, drove me crazy because of the checkpoint system (which was rather sparse, IIRC). Game is solid but I just remember it annoying the hell out of me with that shit. I'm definitely a "let me save anywhere or fuck off" kind of guy in general though.

Rev

Arcane
I replayed Mafia 1 and 2 just a jew months ago and the first one is still one of my favourite games of all time, it's still great today because of its atmosphere, the mission variety and design, ofc the story but also the gameplay, while a bit janky at times, is good and has a lot of depth to it.
Also, I remembered the game to be a lot harder and more frustrating but, maybe because I already know the game maybe because I was 12 or 13 at the time, it went a lot smoother this time and I died way less. But still, I think the fact that you have to plan your moves carefully because every mistake may cost you half your health (or all of it) works in the game's favour overall.

Mafia 2 is something I'm more conflicted about. On one hand they simplified more than a few things and the combat is that of a pretty generic tps, on the other hand you can still see that the devs were passionate about the game and add a lot of nice little details wherever they could (car fixing, skipping lockpicking minigame by shooting the lock with a gun, two different wanted levels, etc.) and they definetely nailed the atmosphere, the setting and also car handling.
Also, the story had a strong first half but then it was pretty obviously rushed in the second part of the game. Sadly, that's the big problem of the game: it's incomplete and it shows, if 2K didn't force the team to rush it I think Mafia 2 could've been a great game.

I didn't even played the third one but it seems a very generic and an overall mediocre GTA clone, while previous games had their own identity that made them stand out compared to GTA and its imitators.
And since this Mafia 4 appears to be made by the same devs that made the third I don't exactly expect much from the game, although I'd love to be proven wrong. But I don't think I will be, not until Vavra and Warhorse decide they're done with Medieval Bohemia and start making a spiritual successor to Mafia, at least.

Alphons

Cipher
Mafia 1 is a masterpiece. They nailed the atmosphere. Solid story, solid mechanics. Visuals are a bit dated, but the style is good. Must play.

Mafia 2 would be a perfect sequel in my opinion if studio could complete their vision. Story is really interesting until you reach certain point and it just rushes like your competitors in Mafia 1 race. Atmosphere is good, even fantastic during that winter opening. I love the radio. Shooting is passable, some weapons are pretty fun (Mauser, MP-40, Thompsons) while others completely lack weight (.38 or a SHOTGUN).

And Mafia 3, hmm. I can't say that story is completely bad, as prologue and epilogue are alright. Problem is I can't remember what happened between them (and I played it after playing 1 and replaying 2).
Each boss is completely forgettable (aside from the Naaative Sooon guy from the radio).
I blame the mechanics. Guy runs a drug business. So you burn his drugs, recruit/ kill dealers, kill goons and kill guys he buys from. Then you go to his base, recruit/ kill him.
Guy runs a sex business. So you burn his ads, recruit/ kill pimps, kill goons and kill major clients. Then you go to his base, recruit/ kill him.
Guy runs a stuff business. So you burn his stuff, recruit/ kill his guys, kill goons and kill some guys. Then you go to his base, kill/ recruit him.

Who the fuck designed this?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Mafia 2 was so clearly cut down, originally it was suppose to have at least 3-4 missions set during the war, and at midway through the game they just cut out bunch of missions which was suppose to, iirc, the main character rising through the ranks. Instead we got a short montage as cut scene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom