Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I only wanted Mothra, ended up getting all of them because I was too retarded to see I already had Mothra. I only use Mothra and Cybergodzilla and the Nethroi one tho, most are ugly af.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Did you buy the Ikoria Mastery? I didnt yet, they have nerfed the value really heavily and I am no longer sure if it is worth my gems.
Will probably get Anothology III, Ulamog is too sexy to pass up. I know I am gonna slam 4x of that into all kinds of jank that is way too slow for Historic.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i do have 6k+ gems... but id rather spend them on upcomming anthology + 2021 mastery. After all cards hoarding > pixels. Im trying my best to resist temptation. Convincing myself that I own 2/3 opt skins for bad bat is not working well :/. Good thing its not shark with laz0r eyes as I wouldnt even try resisting then

I haven't bought Ikoria, I don't really see a reason too.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
By tampering with unplayable trash I might have struck gold this time. I made a Lurrus Menace deck that is incredibly annoying and low to the ground. I am breezing buy the ranks with a ridiculous speed and the deck is still unoptimised af. Is this the power of playing aggro for once, or is this actually decent?

1x Lurrus

Menace Package:
4x Dreadmalkin (cheap target for the buffs by raptor and eats stolen creatures)
4x Labyrinth Raptor
4x Stormfist Crusader
4x Tentative Connection - better claim the firstborn in this deck
2x Rakdos Trumpeteer (There are not enough good menace creatures that enable Lurrus and I need a critical mass

Spectacle Package:
4x Skewer the Critics
4x Light up the Stage
2x DrillBit

This deck has spectacle every turn with the crusaders and being so hard to block

General MonoR goodstuff
4x Shock
4x Robber of the Rich
2x Tin Street Dodger (rogues to trigger the selection from robber when steam runs out)

I run 22 lands, nothing fancy here. Just 4 shocks and some castles

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Two drillbits will be mostly irrelevant. I'd rather have something that works with lurrus in that slot.

Though, not sure if I'm seeing the point behid Lurrus in this particular arrangement, unless it's about having your cake and eating it over and over again with dreadmalkin. Especially if it forces your hand to use limited-grade crap like lacdose trumpeteer,
instead of the good menace stuff like Hunted Nightmares. I think I'd much rather play stuff like Blacklance Paragon or Ebonics Legion in this slot.

If you really need more menace, call of the death dweller can provide an appropriate counter. The probable issue here is getting a few more 1 mana drops to gain card advantage out of it.

I think what you need in here is some kind of a buff-all effect to make stuff like Tin Street Dodger relevant later in the game.
Again, Lurrus may actually be counter productive to you here, cause he prevents you from using stuff like Heraldic Banner or Yiddith, Scourge Diva which you may be interesed in (unless you feel you're getting enough buff from Raptor and Embereth)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Two drillbits will be mostly irrelevant. I'd rather have something that works with lurrus in that slot.

Though, not sure if I'm seeing the point behid Lurrus in this particular arrangement, unless it's about having your cake and eating it over and over again with dreadmalkin. Especially if it forces your hand to use limited-grade crap like lacdose trumpeteer,
instead of the good menace stuff like Hunted Nightmares. I think I'd much rather play stuff like Blacklance Paragon or Ebonics Legion in this slot.

If you really need more menace, call of the death dweller can provide an appropriate counter. The probable issue here is getting a few more 1 mana drops to gain card advantage out of it.

I think what you need in here is some kind of a buff-all effect to make stuff like Tin Street Dodger relevant later in the game.
Again, Lurrus may actually be counter productive to you here, cause he prevents you from using stuff like Heraldic Banner or Yiddith, Scourge Diva which you may be interesed in (unless you feel you're getting enough buff from Raptor and Embereth)

Good call on Ebon Legion. I went -2 Tin Street -2 Meme trumper and +4 of him. I dont like Nightmare that much, 1BB can brick rakdos aggro pretty hard in my experience.

Lurrus is in there because he is super free, I included him when I saw the deck was barely running any cards which dont satisfy his condition in the first place. Also he makes aggro matchups much better with his lifelink and he can do fun shit like recursing a raptor for the anthem or a robber for the card access. I think he makes the deck better, I dont really want Judith as a lot of her power comes from the ping on death effect. This is more aggro control than burn, it wants to keep shit sticking to the board to kill fast while denying interaction.

spectre

Arcane
Well, if you're only using shocklands and castles, double mana costs may be too much to handle indeed. I see the plan is to try and play the other guy's deck, which makes sense with the little red robin hood,
my problem with them is that 2 power quickly stops being threatening.
The thing with Lurrus is that it dies to pretty much anything with that size 2 behind of his, so I wouldn't rely on him too much as anti aggro, unless you already exhausted all their removal.

Speaking of removal, are you getting enough reach with those shocks? Omen of the Forge allows recursion, though it just might be to slow.
Fire Prophecy has grown on me in the context of 22 land aggro decks, lets you cycle away a land when flooded. Not a 4x inclusion, most definitely, since it doesn't hit face,
maybe you could work with some kind of a split, say 2 shocks, 2 prophecies, or maybe 2x Heartfire is just what you needed in life.
I used to have good fun with Risk Factor. The card is mostly forgotten and I bet people will be clicking the wrong option at least 33% of the time.

These guys really cannot into patch notes. Shit just downloaded 4 gigs... for fuck all apparently.
Had to go to the forums, click on a reddit link to get me to a twatter link that explains it's some kind of a graphics fix affecting some players. woot.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Yeah their documentation is god awfull. They sure are lucky to have such an amazing base card game, otherwise Arena would have died long ago.

I will probably side out the robbers eventually, they were just good aggro options that satisfy the big cat and harmonsie well with it. I used to be a really big fan of Dreadhorde Butcher, maybe I can shoehorn that in somehow. But then it would be really good to play Jewdith again and I just end up building my old rakdos sac aggro deck again.

I am absolutely not sold on Heartfire, my deck never wants to give up boardpressure and reach is not a problem with 4x Skewer the Critics. I might try 2x Shocks and 2x Fire Prophecy, but shock has the really nice side effect of being able to trigger spectacle against the face to start a skewer flurry for surprise lethal from 8 for 3 mana.

Risk Factor is intriguing, I feel it is much stronger for burn, but a single copy might be a dire surprise. I have to make space for 2 copies of Call of the Death Dweller I think, reanimating Lurrus with menace is a whopper. Maybe -2 Ebon Legion?

The deck is so fast, this is the earliest I have ever been Platinum and the winrate is still well in the 70%s. Maybe I should play more BO1 aggro, BO3 midrange is good fun but you never get anywhere on the ladder.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
By tampering with unplayable trash I might have struck gold this time. I made a Lurrus Menace deck that is incredibly annoying and low to the ground. I am breezing buy the ranks with a ridiculous speed and the deck is still unoptimised af. Is this the power of playing aggro for once, or is this actually decent?

1x Lurrus

Menace Package:
4x Labyrinth Raptor
4x Stormfist Crusader
2x Rakdos Trumpeteer (There are not enough good menace creatures that enable Lurrus and I need a critical mass

Spectacle Package:
4x Skewer the Critics
4x Light up the Stage
2x DrillBit

This deck has spectacle every turn with the crusaders and being so hard to block

General MonoR goodstuff
4x Shock
4x Robber of the Rich
2x Tin Street Dodger (rogues to trigger the selection from robber when steam runs out)

Throw a couple "Risk Factor" cards in there for even more annoyance

edit.. somebody else already said it. Carry on.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

1x Lurrus

Menace Package:
4x Labyrinth Raptor
4x Stormfist Crusader

Spectacle Package:
4x Skewer the Critics
4x Light up the Stage
2x DrillBit

General MonoR goodstuff
4x Shock
4x Robber of the Rich

hunted nightmare?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

1x Lurrus

Menace Package:
4x Labyrinth Raptor
4x Stormfist Crusader

Spectacle Package:
4x Skewer the Critics
4x Light up the Stage
2x DrillBit

General MonoR goodstuff
4x Shock
4x Robber of the Rich

hunted nightmare?

Is a 3 cmc permanent so cant be run with Lurrus.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Buying that American flag card back is almost tempting. Especially if I had a jeskai control deck, god damn.

haven't even played this in over a week but I saw ur post and logged in just to grab the american flag. now, i don't know what the most troll card back is: ponies, anime planeswalkers, or american flag?

too bad MTGA doesn't have in-game chat :/

Buying that American flag card back is almost tempting. Especially if I had a jeskai control deck, god damn.

haven't even played this in over a week but I saw ur post and logged in just to grab the american flag. now, i don't know what the most troll card back is: ponies, anime planeswalkers, or american flag?

too bad MTGA doesn't have in-game chat :/
My money's probably on ponies, then America, then anime planeswalkers in last place because that only offends people with refined weeb-hating sensibilities.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
pirates!
tentacles!
disappearing library!

Dont forget the Minotarus. Song of Creation + Glint Horn might be the wackiest kill combo I have ever seen.

I finally made Diamond with my jankpile after playing it for hours browsing the gaybox on the side. The barrier breaking change were the scorch spitters. With this this is the highest ranking I have ever had on Arena. The entriety of platinum I was a boring grind. Everyone was either playing Yorion, Keruga, Winota, Mutate, Lurrus, Obosh or Mono Red. Only the occassional Battra flash was not completely netdecked.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom