Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
blast land is growing on me, it can purge those pesky enchantment, all those enchantments and gingerman are 1 mana
Yep, best part is they can't really do anything about it. (or maybe they'll smarten up and start running Fields of Ruin? I have one in my version) If they go Kalimera's Blessing, they're still left with a 3/3. It's the ultimate fuck you to that deck (though I admit, the pictured erasing of the Arselid also shows good form),
I started running Зона especially for this matchup. Turns out it also helps with a lot of other things. Shame you can't really run more than two unless single color.

yeah but then so does fiend grow like crazy. Its missing trample though...
Yeah, that the selling point. A lot of shit grows well, but it's so fucking infuriating when you can't drive that truck home.
As a plus, people's brains seem to melt when they try and process trample damage (fucking tramps, how do they work).
I get people blocking serpents with 1/1 tokens, or trying to shield planeswalkers that would die anyway.
Terravore from Anthology 2 is rare, should grow just as well and also has trample.

I had an enormous boner for the Fiend when it was spoiled, it grows quite all right, but the fucker keeps disappointing me.
That ability being worded as a sorcery is a dick "no fun allowed" move by the R&D.
It's a fucking mythic creature, let me fizzle removals, let me sac Crocsa in response to trigger. Bollocks.

If you're short on wildcards, might try tutoring shit up. It's not like you want to have two crucibles or two multanis on hand.
The price tag on Final Parting is disgusting, but it's uncommon and pure card advantage for this strategy.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Trying again to make a deck around this sexy angel bitch:

4162VXj7RZL._AC_.jpg

Here's what I got

Deck
4 Kaalia, Zenith Seeker (M20) 210
3 Sephara, Sky's Blade (M20) 36
4 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
4 Hanged Executioner (M20) 22
4 Orzhov Enforcer (RNA) 79
4 Nightmare Shepherd (THB) 108
4 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82
4 Pilfering Imp (GRN) 81
3 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
2 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
3 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
2 Swamp (THB) 252
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Mountain (THB) 253
2 Plains (THB) 250

It's actually not horrible. I think the star of the deck is nightmare shepherd especially if you get that on the board with sephara it's a total lock. But I like to pretend it's working cuz of kaalia xD

spectre

Arcane
o shit i didn't even realize she could double/triple tutor
so badass

I though you knew :lol:

The point was to maximise the pay-off:
Angels are very easy to get. Resplendent Angel is gud (unless you need to spend wildcards on it). Shalom, Voice of Oy Vey is another good staple that you're missing. I'd run those before Sephora (though she's fine too).
Demons were a bit problematic, you're pretty much down to Spawn of Mayhem, Shepherds and Embodiment of Agonies (that would need a good bit of restructuring, but as long as you an reliably make it a 3/3, should be a-okay).
Dragons can be a bit problematic, does Dragon Egg count? It's the cheapest one in there.

In any case, there's no problem in finding a nice progression of 3-4-5 drops to make Kaalia do its magic, the trick is to find nice thing to fill in the 1-2 mana slots.
You may like to read about some math Frank Karsten did last year.
https://www.channelfireball.com/all...real-standard-deck-with-kaalia-zenith-seeker/

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I though you knew :lol:

The point was to maximise the pay-off:
Angels are very easy to get. Resplendent Angel is gud (unless you need to spend wildcards on it). Shalom, Voice of Oy Vey is another good staple that you're missing. I'd run those before Sephora (though she's fine too).
Demons were a bit problematic, you're pretty much down to Spawn of Mayhem, Shepherds and Embodiment of Agonies (that would need a good bit of restructuring, but as long as you an reliably make it a 3/3, should be a-okay).
Dragons can be a bit problematic, does Dragon Egg count? It's the cheapest one in there.

In any case, there's no problem in finding a nice progression of 3-4-5 drops to make Kaalia do its magic, the trick is to find nice thing to fill in the 1-2 mana slots.
You may like to read about some math Frank Karsten did last year.
https://www.channelfireball.com/all...real-standard-deck-with-kaalia-zenith-seeker/

Ooo yeah I think the deck would be stronger with those the only problem is that I'm trying to keep it standard since I don't really have many cards from dominaria and earlier, and I don't have any rare WCs to craft all that stuff lol. Pretty sure dragon egg would count tho since it has dragon in the type. Maybe once they do flashback drafts and I get all the cards for those sets I'll be able to make that deck but in standard there really aren't any dragon cards that I think would be good in the deck tbh.

For 1-2 drops, I'm always REALLY impressed with how much impact these dumb 1/1 or 1/2 deathtouchers have. They're basically always a good draw since they totally stop opponent from attacking most of the time. Pilfering imp seems to be doing alright too, usually it will eat a removal spell because people hate discard and if it sticks around I can use it to trigger sephara's alternate cast cost.

Anyway with how the deck is right now Kaalia's trigger almost always gets at least one thing and every now and then it'll pull a nightmare shepherd + some other angel. It'd be sick in historic tho grabbing 2-3 things consistently. I bet having Shalom + Sephara on the battlefield would be nasty

spectre

Arcane
Well, the responsible thing to do would be to get some temples or triomes I'm still missing.

But fuck that, I should be able to afford Anthology III by the week's end, so I'll just use it to pick the leftovers from anthology I and II so I can do some serious brewing.
Or maybe I'll take the opportunity to get the missing Fall of the Thran and Haphazard Bombardments? Oh the choices.
I fully expect Standard to roll back to the pre-Ikoria shitshow of mono red aggro vs UW control all day, every day, so I'm planning to spend some time in Historic,
unless the UB mutate deck keeps me entertained after the bans.

so... what are you guyz planning to do with your 8 free rare wc?
They'll go into my hoarding pile. I've got around 100 rare WC and 70 mythic WC that I'm holding on to for a rainy day. I foolishly didn't buy historic anthology 1 so if I want cards from that I'll have to WC them, and I've got really sparse pickings for the sets from previous standard since I was focusing on cards that would last into THIS standard, so I've got a fuckton of stuff to burn them on. Just nothing I immediately want yet. Originally didn't plan on playing historic at all, but standard went down the shitter in a relative hurry and historic's kinda fun, so eh.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Trying again to make a deck around this sexy angel bitch:

4162VXj7RZL._AC_.jpg

Here's what I got

Deck
4 Kaalia, Zenith Seeker (M20) 210
3 Sephara, Sky's Blade (M20) 36
4 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
4 Hanged Executioner (M20) 22
4 Orzhov Enforcer (RNA) 79
4 Nightmare Shepherd (THB) 108
4 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82
4 Pilfering Imp (GRN) 81
3 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
2 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
3 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
2 Swamp (THB) 252
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Mountain (THB) 253
2 Plains (THB) 250

It's actually not horrible. I think the star of the deck is nightmare shepherd especially if you get that on the board with sephara it's a total lock. But I like to pretend it's working cuz of kaalia xD

I never got anything with Kaaaalia in working even remotely, her being not an an angel herself fucks any combo possibility with Bishop of Wings. Kaalias Deviantart pile however makes an extremely fun Brawl deck, my favourite by far. Pulling Bladewing the Risen with her is crack.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I never got anything with Kaaaalia in working even remotely, her being not an an angel herself fucks any combo possibility with Bishop of Wings. Kaalias Deviantart pile however makes an extremely fun Brawl deck, my favourite by far. Pulling Bladewing the Risen with her is crack.

i'm always surprised to see that she's not an angel.. I mean she's got wings right? confusing
maybe she's an angel demon dragon and they said fuck it we'll call her a cleric

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

i'm always surprised to see that she's not an angel.. I mean she's got wings right? confusing
maybe she's an angel demon dragon and they said fuck it we'll call her a cleric

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Kaalia

She is a half decently important lore character I think. I think they just printed her as a commander one day and slapped all the lore on, but not too sure about that. She used to be much more grim, a ruthless necromancer that uses the forces of good and evil, hellbent on revenge. But I guess she got more chill after getting revenge. But she was born human.

Core 21 spoilers start today, maybe we get to see some cool new angels ,demons, dragons, she is soo much fun in Brawl. If she rotates I will riot for historic brawl.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
https://mtgazone.com/core-set-2021-leaks-rumors-and-teasers/

Authentic leak for Baneslayer Angel! Probably too weak for current standard even after bans, but very nice replacement for Lyra, Dawnbringer and will slot into everything white I will build, forever.

Also this source seems to have Jumpstart leaks muddled with the standard leaks, no way we get Birds of Paradise in standard.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
that teferi is different from what i understood. Would like to test him in flash mutate deck. That blkink ability could be useful for splitting your critters. Honestly Im not sure how often Id like to do that

if lightning bolt and birds are in... just lol

Most of the leaks on the side seem fake, especially the T4feri. The fotos of the curled foils are the only ones I believe.
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/gw3g81/core_21_reprints_ugin_the_spirit_dragon_massacre/
I believe they originated from here. I cant see them printing a planeswalker with flash but without instand ability speed, that would be a weird gameplay function.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
anyone in market for 2 card combo jank?
doublevision.jpg

1. play this
2. escape to the wilds
3. consistently find more copies of escape to the wilds to mill your whole deck with
4. oracle of thassa win
you just need to survive these few turns with visions on board. copied escape to the wilds gives you 2 extra lands and likely access to any 4-of in your deck

Generic-Giant-Spider

i'm getting into this nerd shit

hook me up with a spider deck or vampire deck, dont care if it sucks

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
i'm getting into this nerd shit

hook me up with a spider deck or vampire deck, dont care if it sucks

In historic (the older format) vampires is a good deck, there were many good vampires printed a few years ago.

https://www.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/articles/a-guide-to-vampires-the-best-deck-in-standard/

This is a good baseline, you can probably make a good budget deck by cutting down on Sanctum Seekers and infusing it with the stronger new removal in cast down and heartless act.

Spiders never got any tribe support, but Atrasta of the endless webs can be played in enchantment decks in standard and she makes lots of spiders.

There is a new set being revealed right now that has at least one big vampire, maybe enough to make standard vampires great again.

Generic-Giant-Spider

How you gonna have all this mega bomb ass spider artwork and not have them represent.

Just another bigoted powerplay by GRAND Wizards of the Coast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom