Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

I crafted wildgrowth walkers and a full playset of hydroid krasis and I feel dirty. In my defense I had way more fucking mythic wildcards than I knew what to do with and will still have 6+ of them when the next set hits.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Actually it seems I'm wrong about Core 2019. We'll have about 2 months of double core set and then all four sets (Ixalan, Rivals, Dominaria, C2019) will rotate at the same time in Octoberish.

Monocause

Arcane
Did they finally say what happens when they rotate a set out? Will there be any kind of a reward for having a more complete collection?

Jason Liang

Arcane
some dual lands will disappear...
In all likelihood 2020 will reprint the ally colored checklands

Although the fastlands would be much better

Hope 2020 also reprints Unclaimed Terrtory or I'll miss that land

Last edited:
Did they finally say what happens when they rotate a set out? Will there be any kind of a reward for having a more complete collection?
I think they've said they'll add a "Standard plus" format to MTGA to allow people to continue playing with their cards. So it'll likely be what Dawkinsfan fears and just be "All cards ever added in MTGA".

Jason Liang

Arcane
Trying out some new decks ~

w/b/r Hero - wildcarded 4x Heroes, seems lke a card that can go into many builds. Who doesn't want to play with all their gold cards? A lot of potential but still needs tweaking.

mtga072.jpg

Guess this is what "going wide" means. And he thought he was going to win too.

Second deck was RDW with green splash. Frenzy working very well.

mtga068.jpg

Win vs. blue tempo

mtga071.jpg

vs. gates (feels gud)

mtga069.jpg

close win vs. rdw

8 Island (RIX) 193
9 Swamp (RIX) 194
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
3 Disinformation Campaign (GRN) 167
3 Whisper Agent (GRN) 220
3 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
3 Drowned Secrets (GRN) 39
1 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Dimir Guildgate (GRN) 245
2 Doom Whisperer (GRN) 69
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
4 Duress (M19) 94
2 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
2 Thought Collapse (RNA) 57
2 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129

Eventually banged this out tonight. Felt an overwhelming urge to make Esper control decks pay, and they absolutely fucking did. Against everything else it's quite a struggle, but I may fuck around with it more tomorrow and make a sideboard and try it in BO3. Aggro may be marginally less of an issue in BO3, and with a sideboard I could burn up wildcards to make Moment of Craving and Cry of the Carnarium so I could get more early removal and especially sweepers, since even though I was able to beat RDW a few times white weenie always clobbered me. Plus slip in my one Unmoored Ego just 'cause. Probably still not a good deck because even with sideboarding midrangey stuff is highly likely to slap my shit but I had a boner for Dimir stuff, ended up opening a ton of their cards, and gave in to playing around with it.

Although I'll also say the mill part is awfully clunky. You end up wanting a lot of black cards to stay afloat (Removal mainly) so you can't go hog-wild on the Drowned Secrets, even though it's still useful for fucking slow control decks since you're whipping cards out of their deck. I've tried some more creature-heavy Dimir though and it was overall worse. Trying spybugs and that 1 mana blue surveil ghost just didn't cut the mustard, gave control decks good targets for their creature removal and they were too slow and reedy to be decent against beatdown decks. I guess maybe I could make the mill stuff sideboard fodder and mainboard some more fatass creatures. I've got a fuckton of Dream Eaters for some reason, they'd fit reasonably well.

Jason Liang

Arcane
In my b/r I've been using Daredevils instead of Lightning Strikes to increase my pirate count. It's not hard to pick up a cast down or a vraska's contempt with Daredevil.

the best "spot removal" in Pirates is Dire Fleet Poisoner. It takes out hexproof Carnage Tyrants and you have enough flyers in yours to control the air as well.

in u/b I would go heavy on the discard- 4 kitesails, 3-4 Thought Erasures, 3-4 Drill Bits. Then Poisoner for any threatening creatures that get through.

haven't had much problem with wipes- Judith helps and you just try to play around settles (although you have sirens for that). Lookout Dispersal is great for catching wipes though.

A tricolor creature base is no problem with unclaimed territory. The issue is the spell base, which is not suitable for tri-color. Especially normal black spells cost bb, that's tough.

Choose 2-
RED: Cannonade, Light Up the Stage, Bravado
BLACK: Drill Bit, Thought Erasure, Theater of Horrors
BLUE: Curioius Obsession, Lookout Dispersal, Siren's Ruse, Admiral's Orders, Wizard's Retort, Negate

Poseidon00

Arcane
Joke: Magic the Gathering Arena

Woke: Magic the Gathering Shandalar

Bespoke: Magic the Gathering Battlegrounds

spectre

Arcane
Woke: Magic the Gathering Shandalar

holy shit this game looks sick

Probably the best single player MtG experience out there. Great campaign, great sealed deck tournament vs. AI with alpha and beta cards.
It was also quite heavily modded later, but I never bothered getting into it. For me, the game was great for that nostalgic early MtG feel, stuffing in later expansions feels a bit like a hack-job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom