Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Been taking a few days off of ranked and instead throwing together my own crap and playing in unranked and it's a hell of a lot more fun for the most part. Did some crappy Rakdos shenanigans (There'd be more of a deck there with some better cards rather than just making a pile, but the pile was still fun. Best was getting lethal on a guy with Judith/footlight pings) and some surprisingly less-crappy Boros shenanigans. Even did a couple Boros decks, one of which was a lifegain variant since a lot of the lifegain weenies are 1 power so a lot of the easy 2 power Boros mentors trigger on them, and the cats that grow with lifegain are a lasting threat too. Still pretty garbage against cry/wrath/etc but you can quite reasonably run 4 light up the stage which helps. Only mildly disappointing thing is attacking with the 4/4 cat that shits out two 1/1 lifelink cats. The tokens can't get mentored the first turn they're shit out.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
land destruction deck:

mk2gqRg.jpg

iNa45VX.jpg

s1E1uX5.jpg

Land destruction is dickish as all hell but it still seems kinda fun. I've only bumped into someone playing land destruction once but they rolled me pretty bad since on top of that I was also getting manascrewed. Plus it's still better than THE HATED ESPER PLAYER.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
well, I don't really think it's good but when it works it's funny. Can get like 3 wins in constructed if lucky

The version I'm running right now literally doesn't have a win condition, I basically just lock them down and hope they mill themselves or just concede at some point

Enjoying Arena so much has got me cataloging my old-ass paper cards. Almost done now, still got another box of cards to add up and that'll be it. It's making me think I should sell some of the pricier shit just because I haven't played paper in 20-odd years and Arena's probably the only way I'll care to play Magic these days. Only annoying thing is I was almost fucking positive I had a beta demonic tutor but I only found the two revised ones (Since I was 99% sure I had two white-borders and one black-border). Either I lost it somewhere or I just haven't dug it out of my shitpiles of remaining cards yet. Wouldn't surprise me if I lost it though, probably set it aside somewhere thinking "I should take care of this" and then it got lost in the shuffle of moving 2-3 times. Kind of a shame since that'd be worth even more than the dual lands.

https://deckbox.org/sets/2289887?s=i&o=d

Jason Liang

Arcane
Enjoying Arena so much has got me cataloging my old-ass paper cards. Almost done now, still got another box of cards to add up and that'll be it. It's making me think I should sell some of the pricier shit just because I haven't played paper in 20-odd years and Arena's probably the only way I'll care to play Magic these days. Only annoying thing is I was almost fucking positive I had a beta demonic tutor but I only found the two revised ones (Since I was 99% sure I had two white-borders and one black-border). Either I lost it somewhere or I just haven't dug it out of my shitpiles of remaining cards yet. Wouldn't surprise me if I lost it though, probably set it aside somewhere thinking "I should take care of this" and then it got lost in the shuffle of moving 2-3 times. Kind of a shame since that'd be worth even more than the dual lands.

https://deckbox.org/sets/2289887?s=i&o=d
Yes, last time I visited my mom she needed help on her mortgage so I digged through my cards and found out the box with all my super sellable stuff was missing (Karakas, about 25 Wastelands, other cards from Antiquities/ Legends/ Alliances).

So its possible that my mom threw away the one box with $15,000 worth of cards or more likely
- the movers jacked the box
- my younger cousins jacked the box when they came over on holiday while I was in China

So I scrounged up what valuable cards was left in my collection (Transmute Artifacts, which I'd bought when I was like 14 for $2 each, etc) and passed everything to my friend before I returned to China. F mom

Christ, that sucks. Hopefully it was the movers, would sting the most if your own cousins fucked you like that and would sting a bit if your mom threw it away.

the only way I'll care to play Magic these days
imagine going back to being in the middle of a bunch of unwashed nerds
To be honest I dodged that even when I was playing paper. I think I played one day with unwashed masses, everything else was kitchen table with a close-knit group of bros and none of us went crazy buying boxes full of boosters or trading or anything so all our decks were pretty bad. Although the only three decks I still had in one piece when I was cataloging cards (I really should've marked them off for shits and giggles but didn't think of it until after) was a black hand-hate and fliers deck, a red goblin deck (Two ways of attack, going wide with goblins or burn with goblin grenade/lightning bolt/goblin bombardment), and a red/green tempo deck with shit like kird apes and burn.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Hey Dawkinsfan, what is your decklist for your land destruction deck? Looks fun.

2 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Treasure Map (XLN) 250
4 Fountain of Renewal (M19) 235
3 Absorb (RNA) 151
4 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
3 Lawmage's Binding (RNA) 190
4 Haphazard Bombardment (DAR) 131
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Sky Tether (RNA) 21
2 The Immortal Sun (RIX) 180
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
2 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
1 Dawn of Hope (GRN) 8
3 Memorial to War (DAR) 246

1 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Forsaken Sanctuary (M19) 250
3 Azorius Guildgate (RNA) 243
3 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Island (RIX) 193
2 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Dimir Guildgate (GRN) 246

It's lots of fun! You could probably swap out a lot of stuff from my list with similar cards. Basically you need 4x haphazard bombardment and a bunch of cards to help you survive until you have mana to play it. Board wipes, exiles, life regen, and some counterspells. Treasure map is important because it lets you scry for what you need and then it turns into mana. Also you want 2x clear the mind so you don't mill yourself

I really like Ixalan's binding for exiling things because most people net deck and if you can bind their main creatures you'll basically win. For example if you can bind cracking drake vs izzet or steam kin vs red or djinn vs blue it locks them out of like half their deck

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
If you're going to play 6cc land destruction spells, you are probably better off playing a Fall of Thran combo deck instead, for example Fall of Thran/ Kaya combo.

EDIT: Or Fall of Thran + Clear the Mind!

Hm. Fall of Thran + Clear the Mind + Gates

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Crap, I always wanted to try it, but I only have one Fall of the Thran an no Haphazards.

Remorseful Cleric is the best in-color fit for fall of the thran. Tragic poet can also be considered if you'd rather go with a white weenie shell (it was after all where you'd originally play Armageddon).
Plenty of artifact mana acccelleration out there, or maybe you want in-color weenies like - Skirk prospector + Wily goblin, maybe Catalyst Elemental.
Should make the mana cost on thran + haphazard more manageable.

Also, all those lawmages bindings and sky tethers, do they not interfere with haphazard bombardment? The fewer targets on the board, the better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom