Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spectre

Arcane
There was a singleton event recently, feedback was good and they promised to bring it back sometime. Here's hoping it'll be there to stay and we'll get a bunch of other modes of play.

Yeah, just netdeck some standard lists and see what you can build with the starter crap. They gave out plenty of stuff in full playset, like Gearhulks, Fatal Push, Wanking Ballista, Scrapheap Scroungers, Glint Sleeve Siphoners.
You should be able to make a serviceable black red aggro or midrange, maybe a two-three control list with that. There are plenty of budget lists for Arena, so just get a deck you can consistently win with
and use it to grind as many wins per day as you can stomach. I used to stick around for 5 wins each day, nowadays I'm just doing 15 wins per week and wait for the daily quests to accumulate.
As for wildcards, the adult thing to do is get some duals, but I never get round to that and instead go with Aether Hubs, taplands and whatever I get from the boosters.
As for buying packs, I'd go with Dominaria or M19 myself.

There will be wipes, at least one until the final version goes live, real money purchases will stay with you, but be careful because they add VAT on checkout.
TBH, I never felt the need to buy stuff with real money.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
So apparently you unlock more full premade decks as you play (over the course of weeks)
Since I cant know what the hell those all give me (without tediously searching), I feel forced to not actually use any wild cards, out of fear ill just get the cards for free later

Horrible

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
If anyone wants a beta key I have some to give. But beware this god forsaken cesspool of playing RDW and counterspell BS over and over.

Though I must admit Draft mode is brilliant, just a shame its so expensive... If they ever do a casual draft where you dont keep the cards or something?

Jason Liang

Arcane
So apparently you unlock more full premade decks as you play (over the course of weeks)
Since I cant know what the hell those all give me (without tediously searching), I feel forced to not actually use any wild cards, out of fear ill just get the cards for free later

Horrible

You can make a decent deck without using your wild cards and gold, but there really isn't much point in saving those. It's all temporary, just for fun, so you win by playing a deck you'll have fun with ASAP. You can get pretty much 50-75% of most standard decks you'd care to play, just do some research on something fun, or simply just pick a color you know you're going to end up using (like BLUE) and burn your mythics and rares on cards from that color. For your packs I would say just avoid Core 2019 since they're giving out those cards for the stress test constructed.

My current thoughts on the colors:
WHITE: has 4X Fumigate as well as other good removal, especially if you unlock some more premade decks. Has 1X Angel of Invention which is pretty nice.
RED: Has 4X Chandra so Red clearly has a head up on the other colors. Has a shitload of nice dragons. You also get 4X Pia, a good value legendary creature.
BLUE: Has 4X Torrential Gearhulk and 4X Disallow (all-purpose counterspell) to go with the Gearhulks. Has nice artifact support with 1X Mechanized Production (pretty nice on the Gearhulks!) and 2 Gilt Nest Crane.
BLACK: Has 4X Fatal Push and 4X Scrapheap Scrounger (a useful recurring artifact creature)
GREEN: Has the best ramp as usual, 2X Llanowar Elf, 4X Druid of the Cowl. Although past that I'm a little underwhelmed by Green's rares and mythics compared to the other colors, but a very good color to support your Ballistas. Has some fatties, including 1X Vedurant Gearhulk and 1X Ghalta... Should have cast him asap, I fucked up one of my matches...
ARTIFACTS: Well you get 4X Walking Ballista which is probably the best stuff you start with (always loved Triskelion). You also get 1X Skysovereign, Consul Flagship which is not bad to throw in any deck. You also get a Paradox Engine which is a pretty useful generic artifact.

I went G/W for now. You get Ajani and Ajani's pretty cool if you can ramp up to him. Have 2X Cat Monkey, Oath of Ajani and Rishkar, Peema Renegade to help with the Ballistas. For the packs I'm choosing between Dominaria and Ankhomet.

Doesn't seem like there are many ways to cheat Omniscence into play in Standard, unfortunately:( Djinn of Wishes?

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Some Standard legal ways to cheat expensive stuff into play:

BLUE: Djinn of Wishes, Omniscence, Torrential Gearhulk (instant)
RED: Madcap Experiment (artifact), Hazoret's Undying Fury, Etali, Primal Storm
GREEN: Reason to Believe, Worldshaper, Scapeshift
ARTIFACT: Quicksilver Amulet, Thran Temporal Gateway, Planar Bridge
BLACK: Claim to Fame
WHITE: Refurbish (artifact)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I bought the 5 buck welcome back and it seems like even getting a top tier deck with wildcards isnt too hard tbh. I will def be using black, and some other color (and sticking to those). Leaning on blue now. So something like UB Midrange is prob what im going to try to get going.

When it comes to the rares (rare wildcards rather) im missing, should i ignore the rare lands at first? This is probably highly deck specific, but as a rule of thumb

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just did some research on Standard. My goodness it's a lousy format for green, unless you are going in all-green for ramping into Steel Leaf Champions, Gigantosaurus and Galthia.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Have an almost finished UB Midrange now, though without the 14(!) rare lands. Very easy to get with 5 buck investment

Jason Liang

Arcane
So what are the best ways of giving Walking Ballista deathtouch?

You know, cause I wanna

giphy-2.gif

Monocause

Arcane
Black/blue refining part 2:

8 Island (RIX) 193
10 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Contraband Kingpin (KLD) 177
2 Yahenni, Undying Partisan (AER) 74
2 Tezzeret the Schemer (AER) 137
2 Aether Swooper (AER) 26
3 Disallow (AER) 31
2 Gifted Aetherborn (AER) 61
2 Aether Poisoner (AER) 51
3 Murder (M19) 110
2 Vengeful Rebel (AER) 73
4 Submerged Boneyard (M19) 257
2 Syndicate Trafficker (KLD) 101
2 Tezzeret's Touch (AER) 138
2 Ornithopter (AER) 167
2 Pacification Array (AER) 168
2 Merchant's Dockhand (AER) 163
2 Augmenting Automaton (AER) 143
1 Inventors' Fair (KLD) 247
1 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
2 Chief of the Foundry (KLD) 200
2 Walking Ballista (AER) 181

The idea behind this deck is to spam artifacts. Contraband Kingpin, Syndicate Trafficker, Tezzeret's Touch and Tezzeret himself all greatly synergise with having multiples on board. Yahenni also synergises with cheap artifact tokens and/or creatures, and is an alternate win condition, synergising neatly with Tezzeret's, Murder's and Walking Ballista's killing capacity. Pacification Array is another artifact and also an "oh fuck" button, allowing to buy time before the deck gets snowballing. 3 Disallows allow the same and numerous times strategically leaving some mana out allowed me to prevent the enemy's early key cards from entering the board.

There's only 2 cards that cost more than 3 mana so as long as you get at least 2 lands in your starting hand, you should do fine.

I get the feeling that Chief of the Foundry and Gifted Aetherborns are 4 cards that I can figure out better replacements for. At the moment they add versatility but I could probably do better. Thinking about expanding my draw capacity, fe. with the encyclopedia artifacts (tap and pay 3 to draw).

The hardest counter to this deck so far is ones based on discards. The only extra draw capability I have is Merchant's Dockhand, and that's quite manahungry. Any deck that has a lot of options to force me to discard cards has the potential to screw me over, hard - not sure how to mitigate that yet.

Also, can someone xport their deck and paste here? Wanna see if Import works the way i think it does.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Ok I got it! Vraska's ultimate gives all your creatures deathtouch!

But at that point you can just shoot your opponent in the face and win. With either Vraska's ultimate, actually.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Also, can someone xport their deck and paste here? Wanna see if Import works the way i think it does.

Just find a deck online and do it. Either at compleat, or any other big magic site with arena exports

Jason Liang

Arcane
Had a good day today, got up to 10 wins pretty easily after I cut Fumigates (and white) and switched to Black/ Green. Not luck in opening packs though. Control decks have been conceding immediately as soon as I drop Vine Mare. I guess it's hard to play control against Scroungers and Vine Mares.

4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
12 Forest (RIX) 196
2 Blossoming Defense (KLD) 146
1 Rishkar, Peema Renegade (AER) 122
1 Verdurous Gearhulk (KLD) 172
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
2 Plains (RIX) 192
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship (KLD) 234
4 Walking Ballista (AER) 181
1 Nissa, Vital Force (KLD) 163
1 Ajani Unyielding (AER) 127
1 Greenbelt Rampager (AER) 107
1 Scrounging Bandar (AER) 124
1 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
4 Vine Mare (M19) 207
1 Animation Module (KLD) 194
1 Oath of Ajani (AER) 131
2 Servant of the Conduit (KLD) 169
4 Scrapheap Scrounger (KLD) 231
2 Winding Constrictor (AER) 140
4 Fatal Push (AER) 57
7 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Blooming Marsh (KLD) 243
1 Concealed Courtyard (KLD) 245

Basically what you start with but I added 4 Vine Mares, 2 Llanowar Elves and a Vivien Reid to shoot flying thingies like Dragons and Angels. It seems if you put 4X Ballista and 4X Scroungers and some black mana in your deck, you're going to do pretty well.

I guess I should figure out a second color to pair with green since the green mythics are all-around meh. Seems like besides planeswalkers like Reid, the best stuff you can get in green is Rhonas, Carnage Tyrants or Verdurous Gearhulks. Meh, I say.

I'm thinking about getting some more Elephants with the rare wild cards if I can figure out some good uses for energy. Too bad Harnessed Lightning can't go to the face. Also, turns out that in a format where Rampant Growth is too OP, Bears of Paradise are pretty good.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Since I didn't have a u/w deck (for the reward pack), I tried out the premade deck History Lesson. Turns out flying creatures are pretty good in this format and people didn't have many answers to a 4cc Air Elemental. Deck was very cool, well-done aggro control, I might start opening up Dominaria packs to make a Historic deck. Problem is finding the right balance between artifacts, planeswalkers and legendary creatures. Also, on paper it makes sense to use Glint Nest Crane and Torrential Gearhulk, but the Crane isn't historic itself unfortunately and for the Gearhulk I'm not sure which instants are decent right now.

UPDATE: Ok I did some testing, itd fun and has potential but doesn't do as well as Green/ Black since it lacks Llanowar Elves and Vine Mares. Haven't really put in a control package yet. However, T3 Foundry Inspector into T4 Icy Manipulator is sweet. Icy's a good card at 2 or 3 mana cost.

1 Heart of Kiran (AER) 153
4 Walking Ballista (AER) 181
4 Spire of Industry (AER) 184
4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
4 Scrapheap Scrounger (KLD) 231
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
1 Saheeli Rai (KLD) 186
5 Island (RIX) 193
1 Tezzeret the Schemer (AER) 137
1 Pia Nalaar (KLD) 124
1 Sai, Master Thopterist (M19) 69
2 Foundry Inspector (KLD) 215
2 The Antiquities War (DAR) 42
1 Hope of Ghirapur (AER) 154
2 Traveler's Amulet (HOU) 167
2 Renegade Map (AER) 173
1 Blackblade Reforged (DAR) 211
1 Jhoira's Familiar (DAR) 220
1 Icy Manipulator (DAR) 219
2 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog (DAR) 234
1 Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage (DAR) 202
1 Aryel, Knight of Windgrace (DAR) 192
1 Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle (DAR) 36
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation (KLD) 59
1 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp (DAR) 76
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider (AER) 87
1 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35
1 Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive (DAR) 69
1 Concealed Courtyard (KLD) 245
2 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Spirebluff Canal (KLD) 249
1 Inspiring Vantage (KLD) 246
1 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
1 Adeliz, the Cinder Wind (DAR) 190

Something like that except I've ended up cutting most of the legendary creatures and the Blackblade. I guess this will be my project.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Ok version 2 of the Historic deck. I decided to go all-in on Paradoxical Outcome/ Module Combo.

Um, the deck is not good, I dropped to Silver tier FOUR with all the other weird lifegain decks. But it does have potential. At least Paradoxical Outcome is a pretty awesome spell. The Module Combo less so (although it's pretty good even with 2/3 pieces).

4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
6 Island (RIX) 193
1 The Antiquities War (DAR) 42
6 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Animation Module (KLD) 194
2 Decoction Module (KLD) 205
1 Metallic Mimic (AER) 164
1 Fabrication Module (KLD) 211
4 Paradoxical Outcome (KLD) 60
1 Deadlock Trap (KLD) 204
2 Negate (AER) 40
1 Torrential Gearhulk (KLD) 67
1 Cogworker's Puzzleknot (KLD) 201
1 Hornswoggle (RIX) 39
2 Metallic Rebuke (AER) 39
1 Whir of Invention (AER) 49
1 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
1 Whirler Virtuoso (KLD) 190
2 Navigator's Compass (DAR) 225
3 Pacification Array (AER) 168
1 Mechanized Production (AER) 38
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
2 Maverick Thopterist (AER) 130
1 Walking Ballista (AER) 181
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner (AER) 62

The two combos are

a) Animation Module + Metallic Mimic
b) Animation Module + Decoction Module + Fabrication Module
c) Decoction Module + Whirler Virtuoso

While Combo A seems like the easiest (2 pieces and only 3 mana!) it actually needs a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it (or a Cogworker's Puzzleknot) to trigger so it's not that great, whereas Combo B triggers off putting any creature into play and/or any energy gain when you have a creature in play.

I'm tempted to see if this deck improves with more Whir of Inventions. Whir *is* pretty awesome.

Anyway I'll do some more tinkering on this.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Version 3. Took out the combos, now it is just a weird aggro-control deck. Not as fun to play and a little difficult, but I guess it is doing better. Still it's nice playing against the other weird decks.

4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
6 Island (RIX) 193
1 Foundry Inspector (KLD) 215
6 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Negate (AER) 40
1 Hornswoggle (RIX) 39
3 Navigator's Compass (DAR) 225
1 Pacification Array (AER) 168
1 Gleaming Barrier (RIX) 178
1 Battle at the Bridge (AER) 53
1 Herald of Anguish (AER) 64
2 Reverse Engineer (AER) 42
2 Ornithopter (AER) 167
2 Renegade Map (AER) 173
1 Inspiring Statuary (AER) 160
1 Scrapheap Scrounger (KLD) 231
2 Prophetic Prism (KLD) 229
1 Disallow (AER) 31

Monocause

Arcane
Version 3. Took out the combos, now it is just a weird aggro-control deck. Not as fun to play and a little difficult, but I guess it is doing better. Still it's nice playing against the other weird decks.

4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
6 Island (RIX) 193
1 Foundry Inspector (KLD) 215
6 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Negate (AER) 40
1 Hornswoggle (RIX) 39
1 Gleaming Barrier (RIX) 178
1 Herald of Anguish (AER) 64
2 Ornithopter (AER) 167
2 Renegade Map (AER) 173
1 Scrapheap Scrounger (KLD) 231
1 Disallow (AER) 31

Isn't it notoriously unreliable? I find stuff like a single disallow, or a single paci array, to be needlessly hogging space in a deck. Chances are you'll draw neither. Also, you could include a few copies of Tezzeret the Schemer in this deck and it's a ridiculously nuke'y planeswalker in artifact decks. With plenty of artifacts on board he can snipe at least two v. strong creatures off the board instantly. Seriously, it's a shame to have a blue/black artifact deck and not include Tezz as he's born for this shit.

Tezzeret also turns creatures into nuclear projectiles if you get something in your deck that can make your crit indestructible. When I played with Yahenni (sacrifice to become indestructible) + Tezzeret's +X/-X per each artifact on board, I was able to dish out >10 damage directly to the other guy fairly consistently. Also works with syndicate smuggler, but that's easier to counter. Yahenni has haste so you just wait until they tap all the mana, then bring him out whenever for 3 mana :smug: Rush of vitality is a nice instant that makes this workable with anything - i imagine it'd be particularly satisfying to spontaneously turn a 0-cost ornitopther into a 0-cost ICBM. Or better yet, cast it on something with trample.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Isn't it notoriously unreliable? I find stuff like a single disallow, or a single paci array, to be needlessly hogging space in a deck. Chances are you'll draw neither. Also, you could include a few copies of Tezzeret the Schemer in this deck and it's a ridiculously nuke'y planeswalker in artifact decks. With plenty of artifacts on board he can snipe at least two v. strong creatures off the board instantly. Seriously, it's a shame to have a blue/black artifact deck and not include Tezz as he's born for this shit.

Tezzeret also turns creatures into nuclear projectiles if you get something in your deck that can make your crit indestructible. When I played with Yahenni (sacrifice to become indestructible) + Tezzeret's +X/-X per each artifact on board, I was able to dish out >10 damage directly to the other guy fairly consistently. Also works with syndicate smuggler, but that's easier to counter. Yahenni has haste so you just wait until they tap all the mana, then bring him out whenever for 3 mana :smug: Rush of vitality is a nice instant that makes this workable with anything - i imagine it'd be particularly satisfying to spontaneously turn a 0-cost ornitopther into a 0-cost ICBM. Or better yet, cast it on something with trample.

Yeah I took out the Disallow as well as the Torrential Gearhulk. I wanted a hard counterspell for a lategame Gearhulk target but Gearhulk doesn't fit into the deck. The ratio needs to be about 16 spells, 24 artifacts and 20 lands, and often I was holding the Gearhulk without a useful Instant to target. With Paradoxical Outcome you want to play as many permanents as possible, which limits both the amount of non-permanents (instants) you can run, as well as the amount of mana you have to work with to cast said instants. You also want cheap permanents since you plan to bounce them and replay them. The recent Paradoxical Outcome featured article on the mothership website only ran 2 counterspells (2 Metallic Rebukes) which I think is nuts since you got to have counters to force your Paradoxical Outcome through.

I had Tezzeret in the first version of the deck (with The Aniquities War) and he certainly is powerful, but against a control match up it's difficult to stick him since he's 4 mana so you have to wait until you get to 6 land to protect him with a Negate or whatever, and then that would leave you open to whatever horrible things your opponent can then cast on their turn including their own planeswalker. He just doesn't fit into what the deck is trying to do anymore. Meanwhile with Battle on the Bridge I can cast that for 1 b, and easily drain for 6-7 and also kill Gods. So in this type of deck it's much better to have Sorceries with improvise like Reverse Engineer or Battle on the Bridge than a 4cc Planeswalker. A different deck that is using The Antiquities War would certainly be great with Tezzeret.

That said, I am still playing with Zahid which is also 4cc. Idk, Zahid is a pretty consistent win condition so far. Easy to cast and there's a lot of decks that can't deal with a big flyer especially if you have some counter magic to protect him. Also I guess people aren't used to seeing him?

The 1cc artifacts are basically Llanowar Elves so you just try to run the best ones you have. So something like Navigator's Compass is great since it's an Elf that gives you 3 life and can manafix in a pinch. Pacification Array is occasionally a lifesaver (tapping Rhonas, Hazromet or Ghalta) but if you are spending 2 to tap a creature too often you're going to lose. I think 1-2 is the right number. If you look at the 1cc artifacts in Standard, the selection isn't great.

Version 4 Version 5
4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
9 Island (RIX) 193
1 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Negate (AER) 40
2 Cogworker's Puzzleknot (KLD) 201
3 Metallic Rebuke (AER) 39
2 Ornithopter (AER) 167
3 Renegade Map (AER) 173
3 Scrapheap Scrounger (KLD) 231
1 Baral's Expertise (AER) 29
2 Fireforger's Puzzleknot (KLD) 213
1 Prying Blade (XLN) 244
1 Lifecraft Awakening (AER) 112
1 Forest (RIX) 196

This version is running 18 lands since the featured article was also on 18 lands but I think that's too light. It needs to be 20 lands, even with Maps.
Fixed.

A couple of cards:

Fireforger's Puzzleknot can come down on T2 and kill an Elf or Glint-Sleeve Siphoner. There's still plenty of creatures being played that can be removed by 1 damage. Later it backs your Scroungers suiciding into 4 toughness blockers like Heart of Kiran or Steel Leaf Champions. Even if you sacrifice it to deal 2 damage for 5 mana, that's not great but it's not that much more expensive than Ballista.

Cogworker's Puzzleknot is two artifacts for 2 mana, so really great for Improvise. Sets up turn 3 Reverse Engineer.

Aetherflux Reservoir: This is the combo kill but I think it's too hard to pull off consistently. You can gain 15+ life easily but getting to 50 is too complicated. I'd rather put a Foundry Inspector back in. In fact, I don't see how you combo without Foundry Inspector.

Baral's Expertise: On paper it fits the deck like a glove since against Mid-Range you can bounce their board and go in and against control it helps you combo, but it's very expensive if you don't have Inspiring Statuary in play. It the right situation it's a game changer but sometimes it doesn't help.

Inspired Statuary is insane if you land it. It makes pretty much every single X spell bonkers. Banefire for 10. Hellfire Torment for 10. Lifecraft. You could even cast Omniscience, Apex of Power or Nexus Fate easily.

UPDATE:
I updated to version 5, trimmed some fat and made the mana more stable. It's doing ok now but then I'm not facing any really good decks or players yet. Trying out Prying Blade. Thinking about adding some Trophy Mages or Glint Nest Cranes. While they aren't artifacts, they actually make good Paradoxical Outcome targets, assuming they live that long, since you can cast them with Improvise once you get Inspiring Statuary in play.

But then, once you have Statuary in play, you want to be casting win conditions, not Mages:( Also I'm finding it pretty damn easy to land Statuary on turn 3 by hard casting or Whir of Invention.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I'm genuinely surprised at how "fair" this is in terms of monetization

Jason Liang

Arcane
idk. I've gotten jack shit from opening packs except for wild cards. Not sure how many people are going to spend real money to buy packs when the return rate is so terrible. Now, a large part has to do with all the great stuff you start with in the beta which makes it very hard to pull something that improves your deck from packs. But I also wonder how much fun it will be in the real release when you start with a couple of packs of Core 2019 and a starter.

I'm starting to save my gold for drafting, next time there's a Dominaria draft. You don't get wild cards but it seems llke a slightly better return otherwise.

v1rus

Arcane
Does anyone know, are Displaynames shared with some other MTG product?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom