Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah seems like I missed a better version of Standard recently. I will probably just play it a few times a week for dailies and see about getting a good collection eventually to try my own deck ideas. Is it better to have another account for other decks? You get more cards that way?

spectre

Arcane
That's Jason Liang 's thing. Two accounts would be too much of a bother for me.
You'd get to type in all the freebie codes once again and, arguably, if you just log in on both accounts just to clear the accumlated dailies every now and then, you might just get a better pay off for the amount of time spent in-game.
Might be useful if you feel that you blew all your wildcards on unimportant shit, though in my opinion you should recover all that just by clearing your daily quests and weekly EXP.
Even if you got serious and bought the mastery pass, it should give you all the rewards. Even when playing daily, the bigest pay off is in the first four wins anyway.

It's natural to feel burned out on this game after a burst of heavy playing, so just lay it lie. You're not missing much by taking a few days off.

So yeah, that would be about it for my Win Every Card run. First game was RDW, got mana flooded but managed to win. Second game was some sort of GB, didn't take a close look cause I lost on fucking disconnect.
Third game was a bad case of RDW going first and dropping Robber of the Rich, followed by Steam Kin. Well, that was fucking fruitful. At least I got a card sleeve.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks, I wish I spent my wildcards on other stuff, I may think about starting a new account. I will probably stick with 1 account once I am settled, seems best to get everything in one account. I think I got super unlucky with boosters, I must have got about 10 copies of Knight of Ebon Legion :/ I did a few drafts and it was bad. I won 2 then lost 3. Mana screw when you pick 26 lands in a deck is some bullshit. Also my first draft had terrible picks, opponent had planeswalkers and shit, I had none of that. One guy had the most amazing draw I've ever seen, every card a perfect draw every turn. And winning 2 packs is kinda worthless because it contains stuff I don't even want. Gambling on boosters makes me not want to spend anything. It is too easy to throw a lot of money at it and still not get what I want. I'll just stick to playing a couple of times a week for dailies. Hopefully I can at least stay motivated to do that. I would enjoy going back to ranked in the future with another deck now that I know what the meta is.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Draft can be frustrating because there's going to be times where you do pretty much everything fine but you end up going 0-3 just because of all the random shit. It may even happen 2 or 3 drafts in a row which is usually the point where I start throwing shit and punching holes into walls :/.. But over a bunch of drafts you should expect to average around 3 wins which is really good value compared to just buying packs.

Hell, even going 0-3 is breaking even if you paid with gold or getting like an extra pack of value if you paid gems as long as you didn't draft a 5th copy of some rare. Plus draft is a lot more interesting than ranked constructed since it's not just 2 people jacking off for their broken combo to go off first.

spectre

Arcane
Well, Bo1 draft is a lottery. One day you think you have a decent deck and get paired with a guy who plucked a fucking preconstructed deck.
Although I still prefer it to Bo3 because, like I said, I don't have that kind of time on my hands to go over the entire deck vs. the same cunt for up to three games straight just to cash in a single win.

Just think of it as a way to pick a useful card or two and convert gold into gems. This way you can stay mostly F2P and still get shit like the Mastery pass.
I think overall it's worth it even if you get two wins, although if you are after wildcards for a specific deck, just buying packs might be a better approach overall.
If you suck at it, the only way to get better is read up on what the good picks, how to tweak the mana base and play more of it.

You won't see much progress from buying just one or two packs, the best thing are the wildcards, and when you randomly get a rare that you'll need.
And in order to build a decent deck you'd need somewhere around 12-20 rares (depending on how budget you want to go and if there are uncommon substitutes), so it's a process.
Most people tend to build a budget RDW and just roll with it.

spectre

Arcane
Yea, for Priests to work I would want Gutterbones with recursion, and you can put all the Ayayayas there. You need 20 swamps to cast her on curve, so she only makes sense as a Judith stand-in.
Though you really need Murderous Riders to have a competitive black deck in this meta, I think.

Regarding your list, Light up the Stage is a 4x, no sense to use fewer. Same goes for Mayhem Debils, both are uncommon crafts, so these should not be difficult to get.
Get two Wilderness Reclamations in there if you're short on fabled passages, it should make it all run smoothly and is an additional sac trigger.

Sorry to be that guy, but tou're not casting that Lilianna at 22 lands, unless you're mana flooded, or the game is long over and it doesn't matter.

Rest looks good, and while I really like this deck, it shits on any UG Flash faggot if you find the breadmaking equipment early.
Unfortunately, I must admit defeat in the face of UBR control. Once they plop Fires of Invention it's really hard to keep up with that motherfucker.
The only consolation prize is you an fizzle their Enter the Fag Eternals, but if they follow it up with Nico Bolo Lolo and get Casualties of War from the SB life is no longer good.
Biggest cunt move is Cry of the Carnarium, you want to keep some cats tucked in hand if it can land.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Talk about punching walls... I did the event to win 12 games in a row and win every card. I got to the 7th with no losses and thought I had a chance :( Then I got that zombie land deck which I just have zero answers for. I can destroy the zombies for a while but it just makes more and more and I have no way to kill the land :(

I would like to make a deck full of Assassin's Trophy but I am sure that will get screwed by something.

i agree its hard to find room for more. In parallel im working on black kittens deck, where priests will be part of core
Pssst, hey, hey kid. Wanna netdeck? Just come on down to my van, I'll show you a real good time.

Played that myself, though changed to fit my own tastes better and what cards I've got. Had a good time with it. Citadel's really fun given the life gain from Ayara and baking cats, and it's just an obnoxious good time while you're sitting there smugly pinging your opponent down.

Our hero only went 5-2 during the event. RIP.

XOtJnXy.jpg

I also need to build annoying dimir, with legion ends, egos, discards... and then ill pick 'flavor'. Probably gaining control of permanents or something. As soon as I reach gold, where i expect to see only tereferis, zombie lands and kittens
Only real shame with ego is there aren't many (Any?) decks that get completely fucking neutered by it now. Closest would be field decks, but they can still potentially kick your teeth in with krasis or giants. Not the same as when esper control was running wild and you could ego T5feri and all their counters and board wipes didn't do any good from then on. Scooping out all Oko isn't too bad but since he's 3 mana they could still get one out before you can ego anyway. Was going to say some of the new Izzet decks, but even then they tend to run 3 major threats. Phoenix, pyromancer, and that fairy enchantment.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Can you guys handle the Agent of Treachery deck where he steals one of your lands on turn 3 or 4 and then keeps cloning/bouncing the agent? I have a 4 mana board wipe that would have been glorious but I never got to 4 mana... It is such bullshit. I also have about 6 kill a creature cards but you need to have them in the first few turns and you need the mana to use them.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Also, bros don't let bros play decks with fucked manabases like that.

When it comes to self-discard, I have a feeling blue is not really there. You can make do with Lich, Kasmina and some Surveil, but it always feels like you could do better. Red has all the good stuff that goes in on curve and gets the job done - Merchant of the Vale, Thrill of Possibility.

If you want to steal shit, ramping into Agent of Treachery is also right there on the table. You can also throw in Ass Manipulation as another pay-off card.
Not saying you necessarily need to go full Field of the Dead + Golos (though it is one of the decks to beat currently), but I would still craft the ramp kit:
4x Arboreal Grazer 4x Growth Spiral, 3x Circuitious Route, 3x Beanstalk Giant - it's pretty much all commons and uncommons.
Teferi fits right in there, and you want to craft them at some point if you want competitive decks. The fucker will be standard-defining for as long as he stays legal.

You can take this setup pretty much everywhere, go for gates and absurd card draw ending the game with Jace, throw 12/12 hydras at people, steal all their shit with recurring Agents of Treachery
(you'll get absurd draw so Jace win isn't off the table), then there's obviously Field of the Dead.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I made a second account and now have a bunch of new wildcards, but I just can't find a netdeck I like... Jeez. All the creature and burn decks make me Zzz, the only decks I would wanna play are Agent of Treachery, Field of the Dead, and I also quite like a Manse deck which uses Ill-Gotten Gains.

The problem is I can't find any winning decks that use the Agent, only some that use it as a sideboard or maybe have 1 in the deck, but they are nothing like the one that kicked my ass which I would like to play. Field of the Dead I love how powerful it is and how few answers there are for it, but everyone is playing it already. And the Manse deck I can't find a netdeck for that either, nearest I could find was one that uses manse + Doom Foretold which looks like a crappy enchant to me but it wins tournaments so I guess I should trust it.

I think I might make the latter, but I still need more wildcards to even get about 70% of the deck.

p.s. Maybe I should make field of the dead + agent. I'd have a lot more wildcards if normal matches weren't so fucking slow with people that daydream every turn :argh:

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I choose both. The little magic negro dindu nuffink wrong. And doesn't change the fact that whoever seriously suggests a 12 Island / 12 swamp mana base should have their reproductive process severely complicated (even moreso than by the fact they're playing Tragic the Garnering).

When it comes to self-discard, I have a feeling blue is not really there.
you dont need to self discard, scrolling your library is fine and cheap and blue is best for that currently.
There's a problem with just milling - you might need to mulligan more than normally because if you can't self-discard reliably, a reanimation target in hand is a dead draw. It gets worse when important shit (like blood for bones which you need) gets dumped into the library,
unless you use inefficient backups like mystic sanctuary or Scholar of the Ages. Tamiyo fixes all these problems, but that's another color going in.

I can get behind self-mill if you can get additional pay-off from the shit you dumped (dunno, Embodiment of Agones, evolving Pteramanders).

The problem is I can't find any winning decks that use the Agent, only some that use it as a sideboard or maybe have 1 in the deck, but they are nothing like the one that kicked my ass which I would like to play.
Field of the Dead I love how powerful it is and how few answers there are for it, but everyone is playing it already.

Just take a netdeck and modify it. The shell should be good enough, and you will only be swapping out the pay-off cards - for example Voracious Hydra and Hydroid Krasis. If you swap these for any number of agents, it won't fundamentally change the way in which the deck operates, it's still about ramping, making zombies and Teferi synergies, but you gain extra game, for example, in the mirror match or vs. control. My favorite trick was to steal a 'wanker that was just about ready to ultimate.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom