Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Anyone else looking forward to fucking around with brawl? First/main deck on the agenda for me will be Izzet, I think. Not sure if I want the royal scions or Niv Mizzle Parun as my commander though. Scions being cheaper is nice since you can smooth out your singleton hand with 'em (And you can play them out twice under the mana for your first Niv play), but Niv is a "If I untap I win"-tier threat so always having access to him is tempting. However, everyone will see your mighty dragon dong commander and will be holding on to removal, so probably better to play scions. Izzet should have access to some good shit too (Damage removal, annoying enchantments to cockblock commanders, crackling drake, Niv, both Ral, etc etc etc) so I'm fairly hopeful. Loved playing Izzet in singleton so brawl may be good too. Just have to hope the relatively few threats I can play will be enough to finish 'em off with expansion/explosion or scion ults or whatever.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Edit: Your profile doesn't even keep track of your wins and losses? Wtf?

You need a separate tracker program like mtg pro to do that. Yeah, they're pretty behind on the features. Can't even make a friend list cause they're busy patching Unity memory leaks.

It is a bit gimpy, I really want some sort of folders to put my decks into. I tried naming them alphabetically but even that doesn't work, so I have my old deck at the top of the list, then a huge wall of the basic decks, and then my new deck at the bottom, and a bunch of other deck ideas cluttering up the place. I also would love the ability to watch a replay of the last match. Not keeping track of basic stats is pretty terrible though, that should be high priority.

And for a finisher I have 1 Liliana Dreadhorde and 1 eternal creature.
Ultimating to take away all their shit seems like a fitting end for a deck that just shits out permanents. Bit of a shite if they Agent of Treachery and do a number on you instead.
I've been guilty of doing it a few times.
That has happened :D But usually they conceded once they see a bunch of ravens and no ability to attack. They usually have a few big creatures besides the FOTD but they are easy to nuke and then they rage quit. I think the only time I lost against FOTD with that deck was when they had the Assassins Trophy spell which killed my ravens and that was the only thing holding them back. I was just glad to find a good answer to those decks anyway. Now I gotta figure out how to deal with these new ones.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone else looking forward to fucking around with brawl? First/main deck on the agenda for me will be Izzet, I think. Not sure if I want the royal scions or Niv Mizzle Parun as my commander though. Scions being cheaper is nice since you can smooth out your singleton hand with 'em (And you can play them out twice under the mana for your first Niv play), but Niv is a "If I untap I win"-tier threat so always having access to him is tempting. However, everyone will see your mighty dragon dong commander and will be holding on to removal, so probably better to play scions. Izzet should have access to some good shit too (Damage removal, annoying enchantments to cockblock commanders, crackling drake, Niv, both Ral, etc etc etc) so I'm fairly hopeful. Loved playing Izzet in singleton so brawl may be good too. Just have to hope the relatively few threats I can play will be enough to finish 'em off with expansion/explosion or scion ults or whatever.
Is Brawl for Commander matches? I am really looking forward to it either way, most of the game modes currently are not for me so I play the same 2 or 3 things over and over. It is fine but more would be good. I didn't play Hearthstone for long but I enjoyed that mode they have where you have to play with some weird rule.

Is Brawl for Commander matches? I am really looking forward to it either way, most of the game modes currently are not for me so I play the same 2 or 3 things over and over. It is fine but more would be good. I didn't play Hearthstone for long but I enjoyed that mode they have where you have to play with some weird rule.
Yeah, brawl is the commander-equivalent in Arena. 60 card singleton decks (Cards legal in standard sets only. But the banned FotD will be legal (And there are a few special bans like no sorcerous spyglass)), color locked based on commander, commander is in command zone and gets increasing CMC when killed, but it's just 1v1. Also don't know if it counts toward daily quests/wins (Since historic oddly doesn't) but it most likely will.

spectre

Arcane
Let's just agree that interface-wise Arena is a total hackjob. It's a bit weird, cause IIRC it was the same developers as Eternal, and Eternal didn't feel that bad. Maybe it was the exec fucking with them?

I think MTGApro has you covered on most of the stats. I only ran it once to check my collection %, then forgot to turn it on again. Doesn't look like it made me mine bitcoins, so it might be clean.

Man, those FoTD operators look like total dolts. I totally would let you put up all those cutesy ravens then snag a Jace from my wishboard and win like that. Or end you with a few 14/14 giants. Or a similarly sized Krasis. Or just steal your enchantments.

I will be checking out Brawl, even though a singleton format doesn't feel like my cuppa. The introductory event for Throne wasn't that bad, but I kept raging about not being able to customize the deck. So I'm thinking... maybe Vraska just to fuck with all the guys putting Oko or Teferi as their commander. I think she keeps value rather nicely even on second and third casting and BG feels like it has a good overlap of similarly priced cards with similar functions. Not to mention, a bunch of universal answers.

I will be checking out Brawl, even though a singleton format doesn't feel like my cuppa. The introductory event for Throne wasn't that bad, but I kept raging about not being able to customize the deck. So I'm thinking... maybe Vraska just to fuck with all the guys putting Oko or Teferi as their commander. I think she keeps value rather nicely even on second and third casting and BG feels like it has a good overlap of similarly priced cards with similar functions. Not to mention, a bunch of universal answers.
I was dreading Oko when I was thinking about it last night, too. 3cmc walker that completely shuts down aggro, disables big threats, and can make an infinite supply of 3/3s to beat up controlling decks. And his high loyalty means just beating him down is difficult. Izzet will have access to negate and mystical dispute (And maybe quench. Maybe) but that's still dealing with single counters when your opponent will have Oko available every single game. He's going to be a tremendous fucking pain in the ass, the only hope is that people don't tryhard too much in brawl or else it'll be all-Oko all the time most likely. Even more annoying since frogify and Kasmina's transmutation can still fuck over creature commanders but spyglass can't fuck walker commanders.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You might have ranked mixed up with Standard Event. The events with entry fees have no ranking. IIRC you'll be matched with people with a similar number of wins in that event run.
Yeah that's what was confusing me. I know about the button to toggle play modes, but previously instead of this 'traditional standard' event that costs 1000 gold and gives 1000 gold at 2 wins, I had one that cost 450 gold and gave like 200 gold at 2 wins or something like that. Ah, I found it now, it's only listed in the options after you pick play, and you need 4 wins to make back your 500 entry fee. I guess it's the Bo1 version?

Brawl sounds like fun. Are the commanders planeswalkers or creatures? Because if you can use creatures, I do happen to have an indestructable lich which would be fun. And I just thought of this now but, does a card like Seven Dwarves work in singleton formats? Card rules overwrite normal game rules, but I suppose format rules are outside the game or you could never ban a card like that?

Brawl sounds like fun. Are the commanders planeswalkers or creatures? Because if you can use creatures, I do happen to have an indestructable lich which would be fun. And I just thought of this now but, does a card like Seven Dwarves work in singleton formats? Card rules overwrite normal game rules, but I suppose format rules are outside the game or you could never ban a card like that?
Brawl commanders can be legendary (Only legendary) creatures OR planeswalkers. And cards like seven dwarves/millrats should let you go over the singleton card limit unless there's a special ruling/they're banned. I know they work in the actual singleton events.

spectre

Arcane
An important thing to add, you can only add cards that have the same "color identity" as you commander. Color identity is not just mana cost, but the cost on all abilities, so the Kenrith, Returned King guy is actually a pretty decent choice - giving you access to all colors. At least if I'm understanding it right.

From my experience with the sexy singletons in my area, aren't I gimping myself by going two colors? You have shit like Command Tower and Arcane Signet, which pretty much screams - play three colors or GTFO.

I had one that cost 450 gold and gave like 200 gold at 2 wins or something like that. Ah, I found it now, it's only listed in the options after you pick play, and you need 4 wins to make back your 500 entry fee. I guess it's the Bo1 version?

Yeah, "Traditional" means Bo3, pretty much everything else is Bo1. If you're looking to decide between the 1000 shekel and 500 shekel pay in, the Bo3 event is a bit less forgiving, cause you can only afford one loss, so it pretty much boils down to this - how confident are you about coming home with at least two wins. If you win one Bo3 game, you're paying 500 shekels for three uncommons. If you only win one Bo1 game, that's 300 shekels for three uncommons, so the value isn't terrible. I think for a beginner it's much easier to do a 3:3 in Bo1 event than 2:2 in Bo1, because you will be matched with the same lot who managed to get their assess kicked two times, while people playing Bo3 tend to know what they're doing, so even a guy with one loss might give you a good licking. Still, just save up some gold and try it for yourself. It's the only way to actually earn more than the daily 15 wins allow, so you should make friends with it.

Damned Registrations

Potential fun commanders after a quick look:

1 Sephara, Sky's Blade (M20) 36 - Lets you ignore her escalating mana cost, if thats a thing that will work. Not sure how viable it would be to get 4 fliers on the field in monowhite though.

1 Massacre Girl (WAR) 99 - Doesn't matter if she lives or dies, just use her as a reliable board wipe.

1 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185 LOL Gets stronger if you frogify him. How does that work anyways, if your commander gets frogged are they still your commander or can you shit out another one?

1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186 If the commanders are tokens and don't have a CMC when they're on the field, she can pop them for 1 loyalty.

1 Lazav, the Multifarious (GRN) 184 Copying shit in your graveyard seems like good fun in a singleton deck. Cheap too.

1 Niv-Mizzet Reborn (WAR) 208 Access to all colours and an ability that would actually be decent in a chaotic clusterfuck of guild singletons. Probably a terrible deck overall though.

1 Karn, the Great Creator (WAR) 1 Your deck is utter balls but maybe you can wish in something broken? There was some walker that gave your creatures and artifacts affinity too, that might be fun with some food generators.

Alternately, just make a deck full of anti blue or anti green cards to fuck over everyone playing Oko.

spectre

Arcane
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Commander_(format)
You have it all here.
One card is designated as Commander and enjoys several benefits - the card has its own designated zone where it chills and where it returns to when leaving the game.
So it's a reglar card that keeps coming back when killed (with its cost being increased by (2) each time, i.e. the commander tax), but if its held in place with a frogify or pacifism effect, it stays put.

not sure i like commander, i do like singleton however. will have to create some decks
You should love it. It's got all the benefits of singleton when it comes to brewing, but actually gives you predictability in a major aspect of the game. Though the original format is actually designed for multiplayer and politicking.

Seems like you can also use Questing Beast as commander? This one feels wrong on so many levels.

EDIT: I think Kykar, Wind's Fury is a strong choice as well. Not bad stats on his own, decent selection of spells if you want to lean towards control.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The counterspell deck seems too strong... 7 counters in a row in the last game. Each one pumping a creature. How can you win if you can't play anything?!

Damned Registrations

Generally speaking the best ways to beat counterspells are either overwhelm their tempo by spamming cheap spells (especially if they generate card advantage), or overwhelm their mana pool by making them counter a spell on their turn then they've got nothing when you untap and cast on your own turn. My deck stomps all over counter decks because even if they counter my instants/enchantments I get to draw a card anyways so they just run out of counters. In theory they could fuck me by only countering my cards that enable the engine but that's hard to keep pace with since half my deck is 2 mana and counterspells ain't what they used to be.

"Cannot be countered" is actually kind of shit because then they don't waste the card in the first place. There are also a few 'counter counterspells' like Veil of Summer where they make the counterspell fizzle and don't really cost you anything to cast.

Counter decks are also vulnerable to mindgames worse than most decks- if you leave a couple mana untapped and a card or two (even if it's only land) in your hand, they'll probably always leave some mana open to counter you when they should be dropping a fatty or something instead.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My decks get totally screwed by them :/ With the red deck I can sneak a few creatures through but as long as they counter cavalcade and maybe the flyer, I am screwed. With my control deck I can only really do 1 spell a turn for first several turns and he counters every one and usually the creature can kill me in that time. If I survive that though I usually win but that is rare :C

spectre

Arcane
The counterspell deck seems too strong... 7 counters in a row in the last game. Each one pumping a creature. How can you win if you can't play anything?!
Since I've been playing this deck way too long, I feel equipped to fill you in. The answer is... you don't.
Just kidding of course. UG Flash will prey on control deck and those slow midrangey things that only look to cast one spell per turn. Make sure you're not its prey and give yourself some stuff to interact with it.

It hates quite a few things - one thing is when you poke at its hand with duress or thought erasure. Once you get a peek you'll see the counterspells aren't nearly as infinite as you thought.
Another thing it doesn't love is instant speed stuff. You will have noticed the general play pattern by now - they only tap out at the end of your turn if you do nothing. If you are able to break that pattern (say by casting something at the end of their turn),
it puts them in a somewhat uncomfortable posiiton.

The obviously love all the stuff that reads "cannot be countered." Explicitly or Implicitly. Field of the dead is out of the picture, but we still have Blast Zone to clean up at least the annoying 1-2 drops.
Similarly, it's really difficult for this deck to stop the cat/oven combo once it gets going. They need to jump through hoops like bouncing the oven, then leaving a counter for a 1 mana artifact if they want it gone. In the meantime, the cat can block
Brineborn Cutthroat all day, no matter how hard he clutches his spiky member with obvious intention, he's not getting through (by the way, the good versions of the deck tend to use Wildborn Preserver instead).
Hydroid Krasis still brings the cards and life and the uncounterable Chandra can clean the board rather nicely; finally, Shifting Ceratops was basically designed as a big fuck you to the entire strategy.
Something like Knight of the Ebon Legion is supper annoying to deal with. Anything with deathtouch will also be problematic because it'll trade with all their heavy hitters.
They also love it when you play shit like Dreadhorde butcher or Tenth District Legionare.

As you examine the deck further, you will notice a few more things:
The mana base is very delicate. They need to get UUGG consistently, but don't want to tap out too much because it means they're not having counterspelling privileges on the critical turn 2 and 3.
If they bumble with the mana, that's your opening.
The only scary stuff they have is Nightpack Ambusher (that motherfucker can take over the entire board in just a few turns), there's Wildborn Preserver / Cutthroat (some lists have an even split of those)
which thankfully give you some time before they take off, and then there's Brazen Borrower and Lizard Wizard with 3 power, but not as spectacular toughness.
The deck can race, but it probably won't outrace a Rotting Regisaur or a cavalcade that's both on the play and getting all the gas.

If you're trying to beat it at a longer game, Spectral Sailor is its only source of card draw, and some cuntnuggest have the bright idea of only running three of those. Bottom line is, they'll run out of counters eventually,
and only have precious few ways to reload. The problem is you gotta stay alive until that point.

The big question is obviously how to resolve spells with a deck that doesn't want you to. This applies especially for something like Teferi, which swings the game heavily in your favor (but remember, it's not dead yet, it's difficult, but I won a handful of games after a resolved teferi).
Obviously, you don't play into counterspells. if there's nothing to gain. If you see an untapped 1UU, doesn't take a genius to figure out the end result of that play. So, play your shit fully expecting them to have the counter on hand, because that's what the deck does.
You can start making gambles that they might not have a counter once they're down to 1-2 cards in hand, but until they're spent like so, the only game you may have is counterspell baiting.
This is where your 1-2 mana cards work best.

EDIT:
If you're looking for specific tips for this matchup with Dance of the Manse, let me tell you straight off the bat that you're not really the favored side here in Bo1. Your most important spells would be Murderous Rider, Teferi and Thought Erasure and I would recommend upping the count on those to 4x if you're seeing a lot of Flash. You can try adding a few extra things like Despark (mostly to answer Ambusher), Disfigure can also kill their lesser creatures, but is an excellent end of turn bait to force a wrath or teferi through. In Bo3, I would consider bringing your own Mystical Disputes and Duress.

Last edited:
An important thing to add, you can only add cards that have the same "color identity" as you commander. Color identity is not just mana cost, but the cost on all abilities, so the Kenrith, Returned King guy is actually a pretty decent choice - giving you access to all colors. At least if I'm understanding it right.

From my experience with the sexy singletons in my area, aren't I gimping myself by going two colors? You have shit like Command Tower and Arcane Signet, which pretty much screams - play three colors or GTFO.
Kenrith and Niv Mizzle reborn would give you access to all 5 colors, yeah. Presumably Golos does too. Going two colors may gimp you a bit but it depends on the colors and your plan, Izzet for example wouldn't have much (If any) chaff I'm fairly sure with the general gameplan of "Play a lot of spells, threaten with crackling drake/Niv/that lava thing/that amass card that amasses based on instants and sorceries in the yard/explosion". Command tower and mana rocks do make more colors more appealing, but I dunno.

1 Karn, the Great Creator (WAR) 1 Your deck is utter balls but maybe you can wish in something broken? There was some walker that gave your creatures and artifacts affinity too, that might be fun with some food generators.
Karn would actually be really awful in brawl since your color identity would be colorless which would be completely unplayable. The artifact affinity dude is Dimir colors so you'd need to have him as your commander so you'd have access to non-colorless spells, then also include Karn in the deck for wishboarding. Plus fae of wishes for more wishboarding, since it's blue.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Man that Fires of Invention deck is insane. The devs of this game are so retarded... 8 mana on turn 4. They spam out endless planeswalkers.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
well I wanted to play brawl but I sure as hell ain't paying 1000 gs for that shitfest.. sucks.. prolly just a bunch of okos anyway

the adventure alternate art styles in the store look p sweet if I were still drafting i'd def pick up the one with secretkeeper but as of now they're all just a bunch of crap cards that I'd rarely/never use in constructed

Damned Registrations

well I wanted to play brawl but I sure as hell ain't paying 1000 gs for that shitfest.. sucks.. prolly just a bunch of okos anyway

the adventure alternate art styles in the store look p sweet if I were still drafting i'd def pick up the one with secretkeeper but as of now they're all just a bunch of crap cards that I'd rarely/never use in constructed
It's just a one time fee isn't it?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

yeah but the rewards are a bunch of useless crap. so it's like paying just to play against a bunch of okos

yeah but the rewards are a bunch of useless crap. so it's like paying just to play against a bunch of okos
Spend the 1000 gold Dawkins. You like brewing, that's a single day's worth of dailies, and brawl is ripe for brewing.

Speaking of spending gold, next week they're going to start off some events that give the fancy Eldraine card art. Costs gold which is a bummer, but the fancy Eldraine cards are neat. They're starting off with fake pauper, then "Oko's madness" which is Momir except your creatures are all 3/3 elks, then cascade. They're also adding 25xp for daily win up to the first 10 wins but not removing any other XP gain. Supposedly not removing any, I notice they've been real fucking stingy on making codes this time.

fest_artisan.png

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Spend the 1000 gold Dawkins. You like brewing, that's a single day's worth of dailies, and brawl is ripe for brewing.

Speaking of spending gold, next week they're going to start off some events that give the fancy Eldraine card art. Costs gold which is a bummer, but the fancy Eldraine cards are neat. They're starting off with fake pauper, then "Oko's madness" which is Momir except your creatures are all 3/3 elks, then cascade. They're also adding 25xp for daily win up to the first 10 wins but not removing any other XP gain. Supposedly not removing any, I notice they've been real fucking stingy on making codes this time.

Nah I think they're gonna have free brawl in like a week anyway. I'm literally never going to use any of the cards that you earn in the brawl event. Also I'm obligated to say: fuck momir and fuck cascade

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom