Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

Jason Liang

Arcane
en_P0oJZTfbk0.png

Hey, they bleeping reprinted FTK

illuknisaa

Cipher
The artwork reminds me of Hela from Ragnarok. I'm not sure if the card is as strong as FTK or even close to it but it seems decent. Mainly the mana cost is disgusting.

I think light the stage seems pretty strong. One mana divination in red.
Light-the-Stage-Promo.png

deuxhero

Arcane
Been playing Forge some one. Figured out I could learn what a set contains by taping the picture in the Planeswalk menu. Turns out all planes except Kamigawa (which has its block and a few misc Kamigawa themed things from some theme decks) and Theros (which has Planechase's cards. No I don't know what non-Plane cards debuted in Planechase either) all have a core set included, starting with C13 (Dominara's portal to the past may have earlier, but I haven't found it yet).

Deck is now
Commander: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
16 Plains
Araba Mothrider
Bushi Tenderfoot
Cage of hands
Devoted Retainer
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Hand of Honor
Isamaru
Kami of Ancient Law
Ktsune Blademaster
Knight of Grace
Kusari-Gama (for preventing token spams on both sides from turning games into slow ass shit)
Lantern Kami
Luminous Bonds
Masako the Humorless (great with preventing combat damage, so I can alpha strike every turn AND block)
Mothrider Samurai
Neko-Te (I love pairing this thing with preventing combat damage. AI doesn't seem to understand it's better to chump block or take it than blow powerful creatures on it)
Oblivion Ring
Okerta Monument
Ornate Kanzashi
Path to Exile
Revoke Existance
Ronin Warclub
Sensei's Diving Top
Umezawa's Jitte

I'm guessing the best thing to focus on less lame creatures. Mothrider, Araba, Kitsune Blademaster aren't that great. Any recommendations?

Also any alternate decks I could easily assemble from only C13 onward cards? The game lets you keep a seperate deck for each Commander, but I've not used it yet.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Markov, tymna, edric and derevi are pretty borken aggro commanders. If you can get stasis then I personally would play estrid.

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, but can I make a deck for them without reliable access to pre-C13 cards* and limited rares? I've unlocked all the planes and can get all the commons and uncommons of a color+cmc+type cheap enough (especially now that I have 80% of the cards in Kamigawa and the rare in most boosters is auto converted into a ton of money), though rares are still expensive and random.

*I've seen them in boosters for beating chaos opponents, as those seem to have EVERYTHING. Fighting one chaos opponent, let alone one you can win against (Some are silly theme decks for unsupported tribal. Others have power nine.), is pure random chance.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Markov just requires cheap vampires. You want to play basically every 1-2 cmc vamp. The free vamp token you get in addition to the vamp itself is kinda dumb. Throw in a lord or two and game is pretty ez. Markov was banned in duel commander for a reason.

Tymna alone isn't too broken but pairing her with green commanders means you get access to mana dorks. Card draw + ramp is pretty good. Tana + Tymna blood pod is one of the best decks in edh.

Edric was designed for multiplayer because his ability is really bonkers in 1v1. Just play every low cost evasive creature you can find in addition to few overrun effects and bob's your uncle.

Derevi maybe isn't the best aggro commander but you can build a pretty similiar list to blood pod and if you can get older stax cards like winter orb you can build a pretty degenerate list.

Estrid is very good because of her synergy with land auras (eg gift of paradise) and playing stasis is often a hardlock. Every time I have landed stasis with estrid I have won.

Btw how do you play planar conquest? I've looked at latest forge and I don't see it listed.

deuxhero

Arcane
Mobile only and unofficial builds so far.

Looks like I'll be using Estrid since I can't find any of the others besides Derevi (new game gives you an option to pick a starting commander, so knowing which they're in is easy). Going to take a bit of grinding to get. Thanks.

illuknisaa

Cipher
http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/38218_Introducing-The-Commander-Advisory-Group.html
21 January 2019

CARDS
No Changes

RULES
No changes

As usual, we discussed many of the borderline cards that players throughout the community chat about; we’re okay with where we are at the moment. We spent more of our time this quarter on a different kind of change.

As the popularity of Commander grows, it’s important for the Rules Committee to hear from a broader range of voices who share our vision of Commander and can contribute new and novel methods of implementing that vision. With that in mind, we’re excited to announce the formation of the Commander Advisory Group (CAG) to serve as the primary advisory body to the Commander Rules Committee (RC). Its membership is composed of well-known and well-regarded personalities from the Commander community. Members serve voluntarily, for indefinite terms, and at the discretion of the RC. Their role is to provide feedback on topics suggested by the RC, and raise issues that they believe need attention.

We searched far and wide to find the folks we think will best support our goals for the CAG and represent the great individual diversity of the people in the Commander community. There were definitely a greater number of deserving candidates than we had slots for. The members are:

Adam “Stybs” Styborski: Magic writer, content manager, 10-year Commander player, GP and Pro Tour Coverage team member. Twitter: @the_stybs. Website: thepaupercube.com

Charlotte Sable: Level 3 Judge, rules guru, Commander player since the EDH days. Twitter: @JqlGirl. Website: magicjudge.tumblr.com

Josh Lee Kwai: Former movie trailer editor at Disney and Universal. Current CEO of The Command Zone channel on YouTube and creator/director of Game Knights. Twitter: @JoshLeeKwai

Rachel Agnes: Content creator, a self-described faerie girl in an Eldrazi world. Commander player for about five years, huge Commander Cube fan. Rachel Agnes on Facebook and @baetog_ on Twitter and Twitch.

Ron Foster: Long time Organized Play figure, former Global Manager of the Grand Prix program; Japanese translator; brought/popularized Commander in Japan. Commander player from nearly the beginning. Twitter: @RonMFoster

Shivam Bhatt: Co-host of the Commanderin’ podcast, cultural critic. Commander player since 2011. Twitter: @ghirapurigears

Please join us in congratulating them on their selection and welcoming them to the team.
Charlotte Sable: Level 3 Judge, rules guru, Commander player since the EDH days. Twitter: @JqlGirl. Website: magicjudge.tumblr.com
CharlotteHeadShot.png

:what:

Squid

Arbiter
StarCity is currently listing Light Up the Stage for 2.49 and a foil for 7.99. Are these going to be just standard favorites or viable in modern too? Not sure if I should hold onto them or get rid of them fairly soon.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I doubt non foils will hold much value post rotation but there decks in modern that already play stage so maybe the foil ones will grow over time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom