Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magicka= one of the most fun pc coop games I've ever played

Wulfstand

Prophet
This game's just sick. It's amazing how interesting it gets after a while.

You're constantly on the lookout for more spellbooks, since there are so many spells you can create.

The combat- while it can get a bit repetitive after a while, still manages to be a bit fun if you play with a few friends (if you, for example, create a spell which starts with fire as its main element, and a friend of yours creates another spell which has ice as its main component, if both beams collide, instead of creating a more powerful spell, the beams explode for a huge bonus damage and knockback effect).

The graphics and art design are really good; at times I felt like I was playing an Infinity Engine game, it felt that good.

Last but not least, the game's quite funny, having loads of references to movies, music and whatnot.
My friends and I are about halfway through (we're at chapter 6 out of 12 from what I've read), and man it just gets more fun by the minute.

Anyone else tried it?

MapMan

Arcane
Have they fixed the game? Last I checked there was patch no. 11 by skidrow.

Joghurt

Augur
I played it. Liked the setting. Liked the magic system, but ended up just using the same tricks over and over again. Would be a lot more fun if there would be more variety of enemies and each of them would be immune to something because it got boring just spamming the same spells again and again. (my tactics consisted of casting a shield around me, then casting rain to wet all the enemies and then casing some uber mega arcane lighting AOE shit that killed them all because they were all wet)

What was awesome and stupid at the same time was that at one point you have to save a village and if you save all the building you get a M60 machine gun as a reward. It made me laugh but broke the game, because well...you could just kill everybody with the machine gun.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
*A* M60?

No, my friend. We got the M60, me and 3 buddies playing. I picked it up, and was promptly assassinated by one of my friends, who picked it up and was assassinated in turn. Once he got killed, my 4th friend took the M60 on to the next level, without ressurection being cast, and we started the next map with 4 M60s :p

They become uselss after 2 chapters or so, but until then they're jolly good fun.

JrK

Prophet
Joghurt said:
(my tactics consisted of casting a shield around me, then casting rain to wet all the enemies and then casing some uber mega arcane lighting AOE shit that killed them all because they were all wet)

Why bother with the rain/arcane lightning combo when you can just spam the 3*arcane/steam/lightning combo that makes em wet AND fries their ass. Don't even need shield for that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Don't forget QERASR cast on your weapon. Besides being the "I am the wizard king, I can do anything!" achievement, you can actually use a weapon enchanted like that to attack through shields.

So.

AoE shield. AoE shield+life a few times to boos tthe shield to a bajillion life. QERASR-> weapon. Walk to edge of shield. Weapon attack. Profit :D

Lightknight

Liturgist
Also counts as one on the most poorly optimized games in years. Graphics are rather primitive, but it eats resources like no tomorrow.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Lightknight said:
Also counts as one on the most poorly optimized games in years. Graphics are rather primitive, but it eats resources like no tomorrow.

Yeah kind of hilarious when you think how well Crysis runs/scales with hardware.

Mangoose said:
Fuck. I forgot about this after a few of us got it at launch and failed at playing it.

I also fail at it. That and it's incredibly unfun singleplayer.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd give this game a try, but it requires one thing.
.NET 3.5 (this is also the source of its massive resource use)

Needless to say, this .NET shit doesn't work in wine and Mono 2.8 isn't an adequate replacement in any way, shape or form.

Tycn

Savant
Conflagration? I thought it was useless, but I played on patch 7 or 8 and it might have changed since then.

The game can be enjoyable at times, but overall it's killed by repetitiveness and the unbalanced spell system. You can get away with spamming the same 1-2 spells for most of the game, in fact it's probably the most effective option. There's no reason to spend 5 seconds charging up a 200 damage fireball when they can use a 5000/10000 damage lightning bolt or a 600DPS beam when indoors.

Joghurt said:
Would be a lot more fun if there would be more variety of enemies and each of them would be immune to something because it got boring just spamming the same spells again and again.
This. I expected a good deal of variety but there wasn't.

Environmental interaction was pretty cool, in the rare instances where it was done - melting a frozen lake to drown enemies, or cooling so it can be traversed.

The M60 got a chuckle out of me but I thought most of the attempts at humour were quite bad.

Eyeball

Arcane
I don't own the game, but could this "use most powerful spell and fuck all the rest" problem be solved with something like the Punisher point system?

In the hilariously sadistic and badass video game Punisher from the mid 2000s, you initially gained 100 points per kill with a weapon. However, this reward would drop by 5 points each time, eventually making you earn very few points by simply mowing down enemies with your AK-47, encouraging you to experiment with other weapon combinations as well as melee to achieve optimal point scores with which to buy new gear upgrades. I loved that system - encouraged you to think on your feet and win with STYLE instead of just holding down fire constantly.

Tycn

Savant
No points, no mana and no upgrades. I agree, some incentive not to just spam your most powerful spell is needed.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Conflagation is pretty damn useful at world's end. It can hit the daemons even when they're incorporeal. A single conflagation kills the small demons, so it's handy for cleaning up waves of those in a hurry.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
When I first started playing the game I thought it was cool, and singleplayer is definitely boring compared to MP. Then I figured out what the best couple of spells were and the game kind of stopped being fun, especially since the really powerful spells weren't the ones I liked.

The game is just too easy overall if you set out to abuse it. Time Warp/Blizzard/Rain can make enemy's movement measurable in frames while you are spamming everything. Immunity to Fire/Lightning and casting Meteor Shower/Thunderstorm kills everything without you even needing to watch. Summoning 20 elementals and making them all the same element so they heal each other makes them invincible, etc etc.

The fun comes from 3 other uncoordinated players trying to do the same things at the same time. Still gets old if everyone knows all the tricks and actually works together though.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It is really fun coop, and the spell system, despite being poorly balanced to say the least, is actually really really cool.

Does anyone want to play? It actually is a lot more fun coop than it is single player, but it's very hard to find games and I can't host right now due to port forwarding messes (at least I'm assuming).

Yeah I'll play King.

Use Hamachi 1.0.1.5
Channel: KKKodex
Pass: 123

Channel's open to anyone else who wants to play.

kazgar

Arcane
magicka: vietnam announced

Paradox Interactive Unveils Magicka: Vietnam at GDC 2011
Didn’t See That One Coming, Did You?

GDC – SAN FRANCISCO – March 1, 2011—The wizards of Arrowhead Studios have whipped up something special for all the Magicka fans out there, today revealing the first expansion for the definitive “blow-up-your-friend” simulator that has taken the fantasy world by meteor storm. Magicka: Vietnam (yes, you read that right) will soon be available on all major digital distribution channels.
Have you ever wondered what it would have been like if wizards were allowed to roam the jungles of war-torn Vietnam, attempting to bring peace and stability to the region by casting spells on all opponents? Wait, you haven’t ever wondered that? Ever? Okay, so we’re probably the only ones who have but in our defense: here’s your chance to stop being so closed-minded. Magicka: Vietnam delivers over-the-top action as players take on the role of four meek and physically inept wizards as they try to do what so many 80’s action stars have done in the past: blow stuff up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2DsoiA54Y

Nostradumbass

Scholar
kazgar said:
magicka: vietnam announced

Paradox Interactive Unveils Magicka: Vietnam at GDC 2011
Didn’t See That One Coming, Did You?

GDC – SAN FRANCISCO – March 1, 2011—The wizards of Arrowhead Studios have whipped up something special for all the Magicka fans out there, today revealing the first expansion for the definitive “blow-up-your-friend” simulator that has taken the fantasy world by meteor storm. Magicka: Vietnam (yes, you read that right) will soon be available on all major digital distribution channels.
Have you ever wondered what it would have been like if wizards were allowed to roam the jungles of war-torn Vietnam, attempting to bring peace and stability to the region by casting spells on all opponents? Wait, you haven’t ever wondered that? Ever? Okay, so we’re probably the only ones who have but in our defense: here’s your chance to stop being so closed-minded. Magicka: Vietnam delivers over-the-top action as players take on the role of four meek and physically inept wizards as they try to do what so many 80’s action stars have done in the past: blow stuff up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2DsoiA54Y

BRO! :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom