Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Maia - colony management simulator with 70s sci-fi aesthetic

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have alpha access to this, but the videos make it look really rough to play so far.

So :popamole:for me too

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, there's no real gameplay in it at the moment.

If the dev keeps the crew reports popping up all the time in front of your face, it will suck. This needs something like fallout's status window.

There are some attempts at dark humor, too few to tell whether they are hit or miss.

The graphics are pretty cool, but nobody cares.

I'm holding my judgement till there is actually something to do in this game, but I have high hopes for it.

P.S. You're being a creepy stalker, Infinitron.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonroth/maia/posts/691573

Seven days ago we launched on Steam early access. It has been a frantic hundred hour week and finally the dust is starting to settle. Eight hundred emails answered, many more waiting, forty patches distributed, two hundred gigabytes of content uploaded and ten thousand lines of code hammered out. Phew!

Releasing such an early build was a risk, but I still strongly believe in community driven development and the launch has definitely vindicated my thinking. We've completely transformed the game since release and it's entirely thanks to you guys! I really want to thank everyone who took to the forums, and email, and who submitted their problems, their feedback and their ideas.

The launch exceeded all our expectations, in fact it blew them away. We certainly didn't expect to be featured on the front page of Steam for so long. We spent several days outselling games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty at one point we even became the #2 seller.

In just four days Maia received enough alpha sales to budget the game to completion. We have now grossed over half a million dollars in backer funding. It's something I couldn't have imagined two years ago when I first started tinkering with the idea of an alpha release.

Steam, man. Steam.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The latest steam patch added settings menu on the launch screen so you can toggle fullscreen from there. Nothing in terms of gameplay, sadly.

Hellraiser

Arcane
It's a very nice project, I hope he uses that money gets some dudes to help him with the code-monkey work to add more gameplay features and flesh out the game. Hell, maybe he'll change his mind and still do those different biome planets with all those extra resources.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No one's posted an update in a while. Apparently a big update to the game went out in the last week. Here's the post

Update time!

Rezzed
Just over a month ago we showed the game at Eurogamer Rezzed in Birmingham. It was pretty intense dealing with the booth, we had solid crowds for most of the three days and hundreds of people played the game. I've thrown some of the photos I took up on Flikr.

a7ba45bb107a57a7648ca18527484eaf_large.jpg

Although I've gotten pretty good at pitching the game, I am still dreadful at talking in front of cameras or microphones...

We got a huge amount of interest in the game and lots and lots of feedback on the builds. It really helped me to prioritize and fix a lot of the rough edges in the game. Thanks to all the everyone who showed up and said hi!

Development
0.42 has been out just under a week. It's a pretty huge update so I won't go into it here, but it's certainly worth checking out. If you haven’t seen it yet here's a brief video overview:

Since then I've spent a lot of effort hunting down the few remaining crash bugs. As of this afternoon we have no replicable critical issues on the tracker.

511eee982f61cc72897c83ae130e723e_large.jpg

We already have a lot of things in development for future builds. My favourite thing right now is the second creature, a creepy nocturnal burrowing critter that is going to make the game just a little bit more disconcerting.

c77c5fd353d24888f8833747cab874b5_large.jpg

I'll be doing a live stream at some point this week. I'll post an update here a few hours before hand so people can tune in and ask me some questions.

Goodnight!

-Simon

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Considering that after 18 months he is now at 0.42 it will take until late 2016 until he ships 1.0

I am a backer, cannot remember any of this was known beforehand:

Maia is currently in early alpha. A playable alpha release will be available as soon as late January. The game will run on Windows, Mac and Linux and have absolutely no DRM.

The game will ship in summer 2013. After that, development will continue indefinitely, with regular updates, and swathes of new content every month.

Shit now it's May 2014 and I cannot get anything without installing Steam.

ortucis

Prophet
So what's so amazing about this game? Saw the latest video.. looks pretty "meh". Base development doesn't really seem that detailed.

I have been playing Prison Architect too much these last few days. If this is supposed to be like that, I'm interested.

Visually, for all that money, it looks generic.

PS: Need more Prison Architect like games.

ortucis Rimworld. Not yet there in terms of complexity, but very fun to play. And the art style is practically lifted from PA. Good thing if you ask me, everything is nice and readable.

ortucis

Prophet
ortucis Rimworld. Not yet there in terms of complexity, but very fun to play. And the art style is practically lifted from PA. Good thing if you ask me, everything is nice and readable.

Yeah I've played Rimworld. But for some reason, forgot all about it.

Maybe because it's still under development and I don't really play under development games often. I'll wait till the release I guess.

EDIT: Holy shit, this game (Maia) has been under Early Access since 2013?? Wow. Well, at least the developer is still active and hasn't abandoned it. Good for him.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have seen on other sources that he has been working on a PhD and is now a physicist or other scientist, and it explains why the game was never looking like it would ever be finished. I think guys like him have discovered they can fuck over gamers with kickstarters. This is probably a running joke at universities, they probably call this a "gamers stipend" and laugh all the way to the bank, that all you have to get you financed with 140,000ÂŁ is make a good looking concept, release some cosmetic updates and some years later everyone has forgotten.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Game's at 45% Mixed on Steam. I somehow doubt that (maybe) being on the front page marquee for a hot second is going to do all that much.

The 70s aesthetic is absolutely sublime and we badly need far more contemporary sci-fi with such aesthetics, but looks don't make a game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The 70s aesthetic is absolutely sublime and we badly need far more contemporary sci-fi with such aesthetics, but looks don't make a game.
Afaik, that rating is mostly from the old states of the game (which was VERY buggy), but supposedly the most recent version fixed a lot of that.
But, well... maybe not.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I went ahead and bought this because I'm a mentally unsound dipshit and managed to squeak past the tutorial's finish line in the midst of blackouts, temperature drops, earthquakes, low power, and then at the end a colonist who preferred to take his chances outdoors.

Seems... I don't really know yet. I'll know more in a few days, long after the refund time limit has expired. The camera definitely needs work, mainly because the camera rotation is ludicrously oversensitive. Startopia's camera controls were far smoother and more responsive, and that game came out in 2001.

In a world where RimWorld and No Oxygen Included exist, this is going to be an extremely tough sell for most people, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom