Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making firearms scale without just making "cooler" guns do more damage?

Norfleet

Indeed, it felt that way in nuXCOM, however, having weapons that are retina/digitally locked to their user would make sense in a not too futuristic settings with some form of gun control.
It's an incredibly cumbersome and inconvenient thing for battlefield weapons, though. On a battlefield, you frequently end up having to use another weapon: Your weapon is lost or damaged, you pick up the dropped weapon of a downed comrade. If you can't do this, combat effectiveness of a unit falls fast.

paperjack

Literate
I think this is very game dependent.
How do you convey progression through the game systems? Is it just numbers going higher? If so, that's your target audience and play to it. Have upgradable guns or tiers.
However, not all games are like that. I personally find it best if all weapons feel awesome, with no weapon being objectively worse than the other. Then I am free to pick my favourite and stick with it.

Most people naturally seek to optimize and find the weapon they're most effective with, and then stick with it. They become used to it, and are reluctant to change. There are many games where the *ultimate weapon* feels worse than what you had before, or is less fun to use, and you are forced to mess with it. You might think a black hole gun is more fun than a rocket launcher, but not always.

DraQ

Arcane
I think this is very game dependent.
How do you convey progression through the game systems? Is it just numbers going higher? If so, that's your target audience and play to it.
If that's your target audience, then either make a clicker instead and rake in microtransaction money, or change your fucking target audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom