Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making new spells for ToEE - Discussion

Etharil

Novice
Gah, I can't get the particle editor's preview to work. Guess I'll have to check the visuals in game.
What aspect of it didn't work?
Making cool looking spell effects is huge pain in the ass if you have to restart the game / viewer every time.
I'm unable to see the doll and the particles that I'd like to take a look at. Used a Co8-less ToEE install to check it.
Have you set the data path to the non-Co8 installation?
Yes, yes I did.

By the way should I treat Elemental Schools as domains, seeing how Sirocco uses both Air and Fire school, while having a Storms subdomain?

Etharil

Novice
It's a GoG installation.

@Spell: Okay then, I'll check if any of the fitting domains is missing a level 6 spell and add it to that domain.

Etharil

Novice
Added Sirocco to Fire 6 as it's empty. I'm also redoing the way it applies exhausted and fatigued conditions now. Sitra Achara Do you know how exactly fire spells check for the web effect? I'm primarily looking for the condition check as Sirocco is a fire damage-dealing spell so I'd like to make sure it interacts with web properly.

Kosiciel

Novice
Hey, Greater Shout was already added by Co8 in a tragically obscure addon for 8.1.0:
http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?threads/im-participating.11736/page-6#post-140577

That said there was some visual deficiency in the Stun effect when applied to party members (see here), so you if you have the patience to learn something new, you can create a new Stun Effect using Python Modifiers.
I'll have to get back to you on sound.

Oh right, Rudy's Item Mod adds Great Shout - thanks for the link! But, but... it is SO different from 3.5E. At least I was able to incorporate stun effect (one round, as per rules, but it probably shows duration of deafened condition 4d6 rounds - how can I make two durations on one spell?), but still no bonus damage to earth elementals (would be nice to have in Earth node) and no sound on casting (that's a big one).

moJY1yT.jpg

Knightly

Literate
My party once hit with it by Falrinth. To be honest until I notice "stunned" effect I tought it is cone of cold spell... Also it passed thru walls to hit us. He was in his room, we were caught flat-footed on secret passage exit to Dung lvl 3.

Kosiciel

Novice
Sound added! Had to edit data\sound\snd_spells.mes (using both Shout files). So the only thing to fix is the duration of effects (4d6 rounds deafened plus 1 round stun), and damage vs earth creatures (maybe some spells that work better vs undead could help here).
How does deafened condition work? Will it move affected creatures down the initiative line in next turn (it lowers target's initiative by 4; not sure about failing listen checks - are those being made during fight)?

What would be the best way to put all those changes in some easy to use fix/update? Those are at least 5 (.py, .txt., .tab, 2 x .mes) files changed/added...

Etharil

Novice
Good news: Sirocco deals its damage, uses caster level to add extra damage and knocks enemies prone on a failed fortitude save, while halving the damage and preventing the knockdown as per spell description on a successful save. I'm temporarily using Fireball visual effects to get the spell to work until I can get the Particle Editor to obey or fully understand V2Brute. I'm also adding comments for each line in the spell's script to explain what they do for those, who would like to delve into the spell later on.

Bad news: the engine doesn't recognise fatigued as a condition (is it named differently? I used fatigued as a name) and I cannot add a clause for water elementals and water-type creatures to have a -4 to saving throws as well as receive double damage because ToEE doesn't have the water subtype added. Sitra Achara could you have that subtype added / provide me with specific protos for water creatures so that I can give this special effect to Sirocco?

I reduced the area of effect of Sunburst to 10 feet as Sunburst's short description here implies it's a 10ft spell + it's implemented as such in every RPG I've come across (Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and so on). I'll edit its particle effect to reflect the Area of Effect once I can get Particle Editor to obey unless Sitra Achara can do it himself since the particles and the spell itself are part of Co8 content in its pure form (taken straight from forums).

41605b480f6c44a2a176ac7a7258e33f.png

92dcc4deb2854fa9b4aa6f1a26d87eaa.png

9f7f850a585b414e8c16dc05552d946c.png

d5133e3e41ce4e728f3b909081a23196.png
It was really simple to be honest. I assume the harder part will be making it scribable.

Question about Regenerate - I'm wondering if I should keep it as pure as it is in the d20src or allow it to raise dead with a 1 round stun effect on raised creature.

Last edited:

Kosiciel

Novice
Nice, Etharil! As I stated previously, you're much better at doing this than me :)
Could you help me with Greater Shout dealing double damage to earth-type monsters/earth elementals?

Etharil

Novice
Nice, Etharil! As I stated previously, you're much better at doing this than me :)
Could you help me with Greater Shout dealing double damage to earth-type monsters/earth elementals?
Open the Shatter spell - it has specific calls for Earth subtype creatures and should give you a clue in terms of how to approach it.

Etharil

Novice
So, question: should I allow the Regenerate spell to also raise dead with a penalty of leaving a target stunned / prone for 1-3 rounds, considering that Clerics get it at level 7 and as a healing domain?

Kosiciel

Novice
Open the Shatter spell - it has specific calls for Earth subtype creatures and should give you a clue in terms of how to approach it.

Great suggestion! Looking at Shatter and Horrid Wilting allowed me to add 1d6 per caster level (up to 20d6) damage to Earth elementals, and normal 10d6 vs everything else :)

Etharil

Novice

Great suggestion! Looking at Shatter and Horrid Wilting allowed me to add 1d6 per caster level (up to 20d6) damage to Earth elementals, and normal 10d6 vs everything else :)
You can also use damage.dice *2 for simplicity's sake so that you only have to change the dice once, at the beginning of the script, instead of within the check for the subtype itself.

Kosiciel

Novice
You can also use damage.dice *2 for simplicity's sake so that you only have to change the dice once, at the beginning of the script, instead of within the check for the subtype itself.

Yes, I saw it too - but Shout spells have either "static" 5d6/10d6 or 1d6 per caster level up to 15d6/20d6, so probably I had to use 4 entries (earth creatures, saved or no plus everything else, saved or no) instead of doubling damage. I guess it could be polished a little more, at least.

Here are the .py files for both Shout and Greater Shout (BTW, should I move GS to spell id 797, as per Rudy's Item Mod?), if anyone wants to tinker with them:

Shout
http://www100.zippyshare.com/v/3wEeZJcv/file.html

Greater Shout
http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/inwE2wPv/file.html

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm very pleased to see you both take the initiative and doing some problem solving :)

I've updated the post near the beginning with some more relevant info (I see you already figured out the sounds, I forgot about it myself!).

Spell ID 580 is taken (in Rudy's mod I think), so for the sake of compatibility you should probably use 797 as well.

Other than that it's a bit hard to keep track of requests when they are interspersed with the discussion, so I'm going to split the thread to discussion and a central repository.

Etharil

Novice
Sitra Achara Is ID 584 taken by anything? I used it for Regenerate. Will edit Sirroco to use 590 instead of 580.

EDIT: Just read the updated post - I'll move it to 798 and Regenerate to 799.

Last edited:

Etharil

Novice
Huh, found something interesting but also annoying - "toee.PySpellTargetsEntry" object has no attribute 'spell_heal'. I'll see if I can work around it.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Sitra Achara Is ID 584 taken by anything? I used it for Regenerate. Will edit Sirroco to use 590 instead of 580.

EDIT: Just read the updated post - I'll move it to 798 and Regenerate to 799.

Those are taken too.
Here's the spell.mes file from Rudy's mod.

Remember that with Temple+ the range of spell enums has been expanded, so you can use ones from above 813.

How about I reserve the range 850-900 for your spells, and 901-950 for you Kosiciel?

Attachments

• spell.zip
    21 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Huh, found something interesting but also annoying - "toee.PySpellTargetsEntry" object has no attribute 'spell_heal'. I'll see if I can work around it.
Hmm? Where did you encounter that?

Are you perhaps doing target_item.spell_heal instead of target_item.obj.spell_heal?

Etharil

Novice
Okay, got it. Moved them to 814 and 815.

Trying to come up with a way to randomise the stun duration as it has to be an integer or long type value. Does ToEE execute random function?

Etharil

Novice
Hmm? Where did you encounter that?

Are you perhaps doing target_item.spell_heal instead of target_item.obj.spell_heal?
I used target_item.obj.spell_heal instead of target.obj.spell_heal - doing the latter solved the issue. Currently trying to randomise the stun duration.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Added Sirocco to Fire 6 as it's empty. I'm also redoing the way it applies exhausted and fatigued conditions now. Sitra Achara Do you know how exactly fire spells check for the web effect? I'm primarily looking for the condition check as Sirocco is a fire damage-dealing spell so I'd like to make sure it interacts with web properly.

It's automatic - whenever a character with the 'sp-Web On' condition takes Fire damage, it ignites the web.

Etharil

Novice

It's automatic - whenever a character with the 'sp-Web On' condition takes Fire damage, it ignites the web.
I see. That's good. Do you know what the proper name for the fatigued condition is within the code so that I can add it to Sirocco? It's not 'fatigued' apparently.

Etharil

Novice
Okay, I finished the regenerate spell (with a temporary static stun duration), but I can't get it to show up in history rolls as a "X casts Regenerate!" like I could with Sirocco for some reason. Sitra Achara Any clue?

Sitra Achara

Arcane

I see. That's good. Do you know what the proper name for the fatigued condition is within the code so that I can add it to Sirocco? It's not 'fatigued' apparently.
There's Barbarian_Fatigued

Etharil

Novice

There's Barbarian_Fatigued
Does it apply the same penalties as a regular fatigued? I'll assume that's a yes and that applying it a second time will cause the exhausted condition?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom