Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Underrail run faster on weaker computers

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by The Brazilian Slaughter, Feb 24, 2017.

1. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Hi.
    So, my netbook is a piece of junk and it makes the game run slower in some areas. Running outside of the real system's resolution does not help, but I cannot play otherwise.

I want to run it faster. Any tweaks to do so?

^ Top  
  2. Mac_Orion Stygian Software Developer

Mac_Orion
    Parrots:
    can you list the areas, your system information, if it happens when you do something specific and what the frame rate is.

^ Top  
  3. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Processor: Intel Atom CPU N435 (2x) 1,33 GHZ Dual Core.
    RAM: 2gb
    Video: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Yes, this is shit. No I cannot get something better now.

The main bottleneck here seems to be RAM and possibly lack of a propa video card. Running it in 1024x768 res instead of 1024x600 (native resolution) clearly does not help, but Underrail won't go smaller than that (I tried with dxwnd-og).
    Still, Underrail doesn't and should't look like a heavy game.

I usually lag more in big places full of critters, like Junkyard and SGS.

I will see about the frame rates.

Also, sometimes I see some weird-ass white squares where some objects should be.

• Old Old x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. You should be able to run Minesweeper on that system.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    The Brazilian Slaughter
    What games that run smoothly do you have on your computer? Anything from 2014? Because with the rig you have you'll probably have to play something much older. And the main bottleneck seems to be CPU not RAM, 2 GB of RAM should be more than enough for UR.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Run it in a window and then use Windowed Borderless Gaming tool to downscale it to 1024x600. Maybe that will help a bit.

^ Top  
  7. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    Get a new potato.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    I can run Shadowrun Returns. Not perfect, but doable. But SRR was made for portables.

My processor is dual core, so that's 2.66 GHZ unless Underrail can't multi-thread.

Interesting! I gotta clean something here at home and when I end I will take a look first thing.

My experiments using DXWND-OG always resulted in the window being mostly above my screen height, or it wouldn't scale right.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

^ Top  
  9. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Alright, tried that program...

Results:
    - My mouse hits the "bottom" of the screen and can't go further down. Apparently, the cursor inside and outside the game aren't in the same place
    - The fucking windows taskbar gets in the way and the screen can't go further down. Even if I move it elsewhere.

Resolution gets scaled, tho.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    ^ Top  
  10. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Doesn't Underrail require .NET framework? If it requires 4.5, you could uninstall it, install the latest one (4.6.something) and see if it helps any. Chances are low.

Also, maybe change desktop color depth to 16-bit instead of 32? Old trick, probably won't work these days.

Or, like, ask Styg to put compiler optimization flags in his C# code to offload loops to multiple cores, if he hasn't done so already. An option in project settings in Visual Studio, followed by #pragma loop( hint_parallel(0) ) before qualifying loops, or something.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    ^ Top  
  11. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

And to not be just an asshole, here's a hint: Atom processors are absolute shit. Even if yours magically doubles its Gigahurtz it's still an Atom so it's shit. I have a notebook with an Atom CPU laying around and it's essentially worthless now. Even trying to browse the internet makes me wish for death.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mac_Orion Stygian Software Developer

Mac_Orion
    Parrots:
    did you update the game over steam?
    please post a screenshot of that.

^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Anyone else gets slowdowns in areas with constantly moving critters? Hopper Caves was pain, the burrower nest near Junkyard was horrible. Once these critters get reduced in number, game goes faster.

It helps, I remember doing that to run Fallout New Vegas better in my old comp.

^ Top  
  14. Vorark Savant

Vorark
    Parrots:
    Netbook... Windows XP or 7? If it's the latter, disable Aero if you didn't already. Turn off all background processes and irrelevant services. Even then, gameplay won't be very smooth and there's the mismatched game x screen resolution.

I tried playing it once on a netbook I got sitting here when my desktop went kaput, similar specs to yours. It wouldn't even start, so at least you got luckier than me. :lol:

And yes, Atom is terribru. Had to install Lubuntu to get it into a useable state again.

^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    I will take a look at Aero, but I think its off. I did a few tweaks, so I think I'm getting close to 100% of all the speed I could.

Was it the resolution? You can make the computer scale the resolution, you know?

16 bits color helps.

^ Top  
  16. AetherVagrant Learned Patron

AetherVagrant
    Parrots:
    I was playing it on a super old Core 2 duo with integrated graphics and 1gb ram and it wasn't too bad, minor slowdown but doable. Definitely stupid Atom cpu to blame here. But I always disable EVERYTHING im not likely to use via the registry or startup file..like no Bluetooth, no Print Spooler, No autoupdates for apps. No antivirus, turn off ALL windows special effects, on my super old slap-dash pc's I want NOTHING starting up with windows and I want almost every nonessential service disabled. I was often able to squeeze far better performance out of trash laptops and netbooks than my friends. If running Windows 7 you can try using a usb stick for extra virtual RAM, but it's slow and Underrail should work fine with 2gb.

^ Top  
  17. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    No, you can't use a USB stick for virtual ram. You can only use it as a poor man's SSD cache for your physical drive. That's what ReadyBoost is. It kinds works, and it may help a game which does constant disk reading, but I doubt Underrail is that kind of game.

^ Top  
  18. AetherVagrant Learned Patron

AetherVagrant
    Parrots:
    Isn't cached ram and virtual ram the same thing?
    Though the point is exactly as I said -- it only helps ram intensive games, which Underrail is not.

^ Top  
  19. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    The only thing it helps with, is disk read speed. It does not help RAM-intensive games. It isn't cached RAM, it is cached storage.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)