Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Man why do people like Morrowind so much

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It was the one thing that annoyed me most about Morrowind - that everything revolved around the player character.
Tbh before Caius implied we can be the incarnation, our character was a shitty courier.

The very first mission in oblivion is to save the empire by protecting the AMULET OF KINGS that THE EMPEROR HIMSELF gave us, saying we're special and shit and stars and gods.

Sabriana

Learned
But doesn't it always revolve around the PC? Even if you ignore the MQ in Oblivion, you can still become the Archmage, Head of the Fighter's guild, Nr. 1 in the Thieves guild, and the head honcho in the Dark Brotherhood? I think Morrowind had the idea of being a bit more selective. You had to have certain skills to even advance in any of the guilds (even though it is far too easy to aquire those skills, damn the jack-of-all-trades garbage).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, to me it did.
How exactly?

Gameplay: if an enemy casts a spell and it hits a neutral NPC the player character is considered the guilty part and will be attacked by every guard or imperial soldier in Vvardenfell. So instead of interesting NPC vs NPC dynamics every fucking thing revolves around the player character.

Enjoyment: lack of immersion due to a lifeless, static world where there is only one item on the wildlife's menu: the player character.
I installed the Living Cities of Vvardenfell (I think it was called), which helped somewhat, by teleporting NPCs at certain hourse, so in the afternoon the taverns would be crowded, for example.

It was the one thing that annoyed me most about Morrowind - that everything revolved around the player character.
Tbh before Caius implied we can be the incarnation, our character was a shitty courier.

The very first mission in oblivion is to save the empire by protecting the AMULET OF KINGS that THE EMPEROR HIMSELF gave us, saying we're special and shit and stars and gods.

Yes, the main quest and the whole setting was of course much better in Morrowind than in Oblivion. I never even bothered with the MQ in Oblivion, beside the first gate.

But doesn't it always revolve around the PC? Even if you ignore the MQ in Oblivion, you can still become the Archmage, Head of the Fighter's guild, Nr. 1 in the Thieves guild, and the head honcho in the Dark Brotherhood? I think Morrowind had the idea of being a bit more selective. You had to have certain skills to even advance in any of the guilds (even though it is far too easy to aquire those skills, damn the jack-of-all-trades garbage).

Yes, that was another design flaw of Oblivion, making it too easy to be head of all the guilds, and not even having to cast a single (or just a few) spells to become Archmage). Oblivion was obviously designed for consoletards.
Mods (Choice&Consequences) fixed this problem, though.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Did I miss something or did no one really mention how much fucking fun alchemy, enchantment, and spellcrafting was in Morrowind? Goddamn, never before had I felt like such a demigod-approaching archmage of ultimate power in a vidya gaem. Yeah yeah, it was completely broken and unbalanced, and normally I'd care, but the experience of levitating about in a suit of full sanctuary with full spell reflection while slinging balls of instant death everywhere I suppose helped me overlook that.

Yeah, but the best option would still be to play Morrowind instead.
I'd rather hear "Get out of here, stalker n'wah" than "OH THE HERO OF KVATCH! Let me bend over, I saw a mudcrab yesterday"

...e...e...excuse me, Nerevarine...

Meh, if you guys want visuals and good environments you should try real life, I've heard there are plenty of beautiful places to explore in there...with really great lore too
Yeah, But no villains to kill and no adventures with deep quests. Or rather quests that are too deep and not adventurous. At all.

Well, that's only if you were dumb enough to pick the Peasant class. Try Secret Agent or Drug Lord next time, I heard good things about those.

flabbyjack

Arcane
I just liked enchanting jump (short duration), + slowfall/levitate (short duration) and jumping across the map in a couple jumps. Sailing through the clouds, watching cliff-racers whoosh past as I zoom through the air. Majestic, bros. That, plus all the superpowers you obtain make you feel like an endless ninja of destruction.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
By far the best feature of Morrowind is that rewards player's initiative and ingenuity handsomely. Solving problems in unique ways, locating secrets after reading about them on signposts NPCs and books, making devastating spells early on the game, is all allowed and encouraged.

IMHO that's what makes Morrowind an RPG (and a pretty good one), and not just another hiking simulator with stats, even if it fails at everything else (shitty combat, Jack-of-all-trades characters, unbalanced mess, dumb AI).

And of course, Vvanderfell is just an awesome place to explore.

Nigro

Educated
I think I might be just too casual for Morrowind, I guess, thanks for the answers guys!

Redlands

Arcane
Babby's first RPG for a lot of people

This is probably correct for me, in a sense. I had some RPG games before but never really got into them until Morrowind.

Then again it did sort of come out at a good time for me. It was about when I started college, so I had a lot more free time to play, and actually being able to get games was much easier (more stores selling games within walking distance). Plus I was also sort of stuck in a large city, and it was hard to get out to get to walk around the countryside (something I like doing), so it Morrowind was great for that.

I think it's probably a good game to get people into RPGs. I probably wouldn't have tried playing Planescape Torment again if it hadn't been for Morrowind, and I wouldn't have heard of any of the indie ones or the older ones that I'd missed if I'd not been pointed here by a friend.

I don't think I'd enjoy it much now; I've played much better RPGs since then. But it's still a game that I like.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Eh, I enjoy Morrowind simply because there's so much shit to see in the world. Screw the story and screw the combat and screw the magic. I just love to go into a new dungeon I've never been in and picking up a book written by some dunmer who killed his argonian half-brother.

About 7 years after I first played it and I'm still finding new stuff in the game. Or it's stuff that I've found before but just can't remember.

Meh, if you guys want visuals and good environments you should try real life, I've heard there are plenty of beautiful places to explore in there...with really great lore too

Real life doesn't have cliff gliders.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Collect and read all of Vivec's Sermons to understand how to avoid zero-summing and turn yourself into a physical god. That's what's so great about Morrowind.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And no matter how powerful you were, there were still enemies that could fuck you up if you weren't careful.
No. Arena, DF and MW all suffer from the same problem, namely that the combat because hilariously easy about halfway through, and the difficulty curve never recovers.

Only TES that got that right was Battlespire actually. Starts tough and gets tougher.

Oh, another Morrowind thread moved to the popamole forums?
Normally I'd be annoyed, but it is a shitty troll thread, so eh.

Bah. You could've linked some much more monocle ones.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/morrowind-as-above-so-below.41296/
There's a skyrim thread that turned into a great MW thread also from 2010 but I can't find it now.

:lol:

I was just reading that second thread again and found this

Let me guess... In TESV you will be sent by the Empire to Skyrim to restore the peace and order and then bring back the Nords under imperial law?

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Plenty of good reasons to like MW have been given. The thing is that MW is often taken to be somehow the absolute best thing since sliced bread, the one RPG to rule them all, which is a little bit too much.

I suppose a lot of people have neither the patience to play great RPGs, nor the historical understanding to be aware of them all, so to them MW is the only "hardcore RPG" experience they've ever had, and they're proud of themselves for being able to appreciate games like that. And so from MW arise all the clichés that are now being used to hype just about every other shit game: it's a totally open world, bros. You can be whatever you want, go wherever you want, do whatever you want, it's immersive, etc. etc.

So yeah, no harm done if people just appreciate MW for what it is (although there are some people for whom it'll never really click) and don't go nuts about it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It has nearly nil effect on gameplay or enjoyment.
Well, it does have a huge effect on sneaking and stealing stuff. Being a thief in MW kind of sucks because no one ever moves, so either you'll get to easily steal stuff from a completely empty room or have to do it right in front of an NPC who'll never even turn her back. Yes, Nalcarya of White Haven, I'm talking about you here. Then there's stuff like wiping out the Camonna Tong at the Council Club, which would be more interesting if you could assassinate the guys in their beds one by one instead of having to take them all out at once because they never move anywhere.

visions

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Nigro said:
Meh, if you guys want visuals and good environments you should try real life, I've heard there are plenty of beautiful places to explore in there...with really great lore too​
Yeah, But no villains to kill and no adventures with deep quests. Or rather quests that are too deep and not adventurous. At all.

Well, that's only if you were dumb enough to pick the Peasant class. Try Secret Agent or Drug Lord next time, I heard good things about those.

In forced ironman, I'd stick to Peasant.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, it does have a huge effect on sneaking and stealing stuff.
Too bad there is no stuff worth stealing.

That's the problem with oblivion - any actual improvements it introduced it instantly rendered irrelevant with some piece of outrageously shitty design.

For example:
  • NPCs talking among themselves and behaving more realistically? Too bad they mostly say horribly retarded shit that pulls you out of the game.
  • Schedules that would make sneaking and stealing interesting? Oops. There is nothing to steal and crawls with bandits are barely affected. And if they are, you have stuff like bandit ignoring comrade's cooling body when laying down to sleep and instead just cuddling to it, which is much more jarring than just having him ignore it while standing or walking around.
  • Shopkeepers following you around to see you don't steal shit? Too bad their actual inventory is kept in a special container outside the game area.

:hearnoevil:

Being a thief in MW kind of sucks because no one ever moves, so either you'll get to easily steal stuff from a completely empty room or have to do it right in front of an NPC who'll never even turn her back. Yes, Nalcarya of White Haven, I'm talking about you here. Then there's stuff like wiping out the Camonna Tong at the Council Club, which would be more interesting if you could assassinate the guys in their beds one by one instead of having to take them all out at once because they never move anywhere.
Well, NPCs do move around a bit (quite a bit sometimes). They just don't sleep and don't switch cells unless following player.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Shopkeepers following you around to see you don't steal shit? Too bad their actual inventory is kept in a special container outside the game area.
I hated this shit! One of my first evil plans in Oblivion was to see what I cen get from shop for free...
Trespassed 10 shops and couldn't find any shit worth more than 100 gold pieces, lurk on the forums and there it is. Shopkeepers are theft protected. Fuck this game.

Nigro

Educated
Shopkeepers following you around to see you don't steal shit? Too bad their actual inventory is kept in a special container outside the game area.
I hated this shit! One of my first evil plans in Oblivion was to see what I cen get from shop for free...
Trespassed 10 shops and couldn't find any shit worth more than 100 gold pieces, lurk on the forums and there it is. Shopkeepers are theft protected. Fuck this game.
haha this is really pathethic too imo, I liked Arcanum because you could get all the shopkeeper stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom