Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mars: War Logs Review at RPGWatch

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Clearly, RPGWatch can add plagiarism to their many crimes.
They have been stealing news posts from other web sites with only minor modification for years now. Many of their news posts are copy-pasted verbatim from GB for example. At least if they are going to steal shit they could have the dignity to link to the original site they got it from. I called them out on it and got no reply back so they clearly do not give a shit.

Drowed

Arcane
For what I'm reading until now, it doesn't seems that terrible. But I will wait for the inevitable price drop to buy it, then.

BababooeyHTJ

Novice
Why is this thread full of people who haven't touched the game, that claim to enjoy RPGs bitching and moaning?

Its not exactly like there is an abundance of rpgs to play these days. You can buy the damn game for $16. It has branching side quests FFS. Most AAA "rpgs" don't have that these days. It also has a setting thats not that typical damn fantasy setting. What the fuck more do you want?

Yeah, lets trash one of the few developers trying to do a decent rpg. If they do well their next title could be great.

I've only put a few hours into this game but I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Mind you, I don't mean to cast aspergions on a fellow rpg site, afterall, one's opinion is one's opinion.

RPG Watch said:
RPGWatch Game of the Year Awards 2012 - Best RPG
Gamers' Choice
Rank Game

1 Mass Effect 3
2 Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
3 Dishonored
4 XCOM: Enemy Unknown
5 Risen 2: Dark Waters
6 Torchlight II
7 Borderlands 2
8 Kingdoms of Amalur
source : http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=202&ref=2&id=1

iihJaq4BB6Nc4.gif

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is this thread full of people who haven't touched the game, that claim to enjoy RPGs bitching and moaning?

Its not exactly like there is an abundance of rpgs to play these days. You can buy the damn game for $16. It has branching side quests FFS. Most AAA "rpgs" don't have that these days. It also has a setting thats not that typical damn fantasy setting. What the fuck more do you want?

Yeah, lets trash one of the few developers trying to do a decent rpg. If they do well their next title could be great.

I've only put a few hours into this game but I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

Serious answer - the game seems to take after the more recent Bioware titles, which just aren't...to put it mildly..."well liked" around here, for several reasons. Feel free to talk more about the game though, actual gameplay impressions are always welcome.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
KoA is one of the better games on that list.

LOL, it is one of the worst. It tries to mimic monocle cRPGs but it ends up somewhere between WoW (MMOshit) and BordelloLands (MMOlike). Bland as fuck, and there is nothing more there.

In other words: It is shit

BababooeyHTJ

Novice
A good portion of the people in this thread remind me of the people on other forums that just complain about every and any game. How can you be so negative towards a game that you've never played? Its not like rpgs are being released left and right these days. I'm just surprised to see that behavior on a forum that you would think are fans of the genre. The damn game cost $16.

I'm not a big Mass Effect fan either. I don't know that I would compare it much to ME. To me it seems a bit more like Risen. I'm more talking about the quest system and the way that you interact with the world. Its obviously not as polished and it doesn't have that organic leveling system of Risen. Combat reminds me of the witcher 2.

That said I'm still not out of the prison.

I don't trust reviews. One of the best rpgs that I've played in recent years is Alpha Protocol. That game got hammered by every review site.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, if a game is not perfect, it's totally shit.
Getting tired of it. Not reading ANY review anymore. Will go purely by instinct. Playing Arcania soon.

Lemming instinct?

LOL, it is one of the worst. It tries to mimic monocle cRPGs but it ends up somewhere between WoW (MMOshit) and BordelloLands (MMOlike). Bland as fuck, and there is nothing more there.

Wut? It is an ARPG a lĂ  Fable and doesn't try to be much else.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lemming instinct?

Wut? It is an ARPG a lĂ  Fable and doesn't try to be much else.

No, Mass Effect is an ARPG that doesn't try to be anything else. KoA does try. It tries to be a prestigious RPG. That's why I can impassionately ignore ME but I'm disgusted with pretentious dung like KoA (or DAO for that matter).

Even assuming we agree on what a "monocle RPG" is, what sort of prestigious feature it copies? The only "pretentious" thing I can think of is the fact that every NPC has at least five more dialog boxes than they really needed, but it doesn't force you to sit through them as you can quickly finish dialogues by choosing the 1st option (usually a variant of "YEAH YEAH SHUT UP GIMME QUEST"). Otherwise, it's quite content with being just Fable with WoW graphics.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Because it was tauted from the get go as an epic open-world adventure with "core RPG" elements, with XY playable races and skills and factions and quests and subquests and rich loot and crafting and alchemy and different playstyles - the works. It was NOT presented as a simple ARPG. It was, for all intents and purposes, made out to be a modern take on classic cRPGs. Sure, the "dynamic action combat" banner was paraded all around internet as well, but that's a staple for modern triple A games, nobody really expected anything else.

What it turned out to be was a soulless twitchy-teeny WoW-like one-button masher with terrible lore, dumb dialogues and repetitive quests. And although I never cheer when somebody goes bankrupt or loses a job, I was glad KoA bombed. I hope it sent a signal "this is not the way to go" but I'm not holding my breath too much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reckoning sold over a million copies and made money for EA, the message there was "don't sink a ton of money into a MMO" not "don't make a soulless twitchy-teeny WoW-like one-button masher with terrible lore, dumb dialogues and repetitive quests."

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Yeah, if a game is not perfect, it's totally shit.
Getting tired of it. Not reading ANY review anymore. Will go purely by instinct. Playing Arcania soon.

Arcania is a masterpiece. The combat is popamole but good popamole, and the writing is pure genius. Quality satire of that kind is very hard to find.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

I've played WOW and KoA plays nothing like it. The combat was fun, atmosphere was decent, it was open world which is always a plus. It's no morrowiond but by mainstream standards it's a fucking masterpiece. I'd take it over bioware's shit any day.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

I've played WOW and KoA plays nothing like it. The combat was fun, atmosphere was decent, it was open world which is always a plus. It's no morrowiond but by mainstream standards it's a fucking masterpiece. I'd take it over bioware's shit any day.
Even modern Bioturd beats this shit hands down. Sorry bro, I will not be convinced. I am sort of a storyfag though, which means I value the narrative over combat in these kinds of games. That said, if DA2 was the bottom of the barrel, KoA was still way below. And I am trying to be unbiased, leaving all TEH GREAT WRITERS/DESIGNERS (Salvatore, Rolston, McFerlane :lol: ) behind...

What was it called? The best cRPG from the renowned professionals? HeHehe :lol:

Decent atmosphere, hahaha, is that what you call when one of the trio farts?

Analur is dead! And we should praise that. Period.

zwanzig_zwoelf

30 minutes into the game.
Combat feels decent, while dialogue feels like it was written by a 12-years-old Chinese boy who was constantly raped and abused then thrown away to work in mines.
Feel like I'm going to drop it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom