Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial Mass Effect 2, RPG or Shooter?

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Mar 25, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

GameZenith attended the GDC lecture given by BioWare's Christina Norman and they took an <a href="http://www.gamezenith.com/?p=132">indepth look</a> at what they learned there.
    <br>
    <br>
    <p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>Fans complaining (About lack of RPG experience in ME2) is a small percentage of the overall post (In the Bioware forums)</b>
    <br>
    <br>
    This is a real slap in the face to those core RPG gamers who have followed Bioware over the years. It is as if Bioware does not care about the lesser percentage of their audience, as long as the larger percentage loves it and they get their profits. Bioware seems to not recall who built them in the first place. They fail to remember who bought their products and put money into their pockets from the beginning. I know Bioware is on a quest to seek profits, thus broadening their audience, but please do not act like the voice of RPGers are not that important because we are a “small percentage”. RPG gamers are loyal and will support you as long as you respect their desires. Shooter gamers are itinerant, once you think you’ve gotten their attention, they will move on to the next big thing. Remember this Bioware while developing Mass Effect 3.
    <br>
    <br>
    <b>Mass Effect 1 was very RPGish</b>
    <br>
    <br>
    There is no way to elucidate this in words as you just had to be in the room when she said this, but when she said this, there was a lot of disgust, like she was exasperated that ME1 was so RPGish. In a way, this really sets the mood for what they really wanted to do with Mass Effect 2, make it feel less like a RPG more like a shooter while still holding on to some RPG mechanics like interactive dialog and player progression.
    <br>
    <br>
    Christina Norman also explains that in Mass Effect 1 when you level up, it interrupts gameplay and when you pause the game to level up and jump back into the action, you do not know what’s going on.
    <br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <br>
    That happened all the time to me, I was suddenly forced to level up and afterwards I had no fucking clue what was going on. I'm glad BioWare addressed this issue.
    <br>
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97308-mass-effect-2-rpg-or-shooter.html">Gamebanshee</A>

^ Top  
  2. Derper Prophet

Derper
    :codexrage:

^ Top  
  3. Naked Ninja Arbiter

Naked Ninja
    WHERE IS MY INVENTORY!1!!

Most important RPG feature right there.

^ Top  
  4. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Wrong. The feature that is actually missing is the epic lootz. If you want to have your loot you'll need an inventory.

^ Top  
  5. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    lawl Bioware doesn't owe anybody shit.

^ Top  
  6. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    Go raise kids, woman, and leave the mature serious business like video games to the core role-playing game gamers like GameZenith. :rpgcodex:

All that showed was that BioWare knows their audience. Still fun, though.

^ Top  
  7. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    If it has level-up screen then it's an RPG!!1

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, there was a distinct lack of Carth Anomen in Mass Effect 2.

The 'core RPG gamer fans' that GamerZenith keeps defending the entire article... he's referring to the Codex, isn't he?

^ Top  
  9. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Cool. Secret of Monkey Island is now an RPG.

Speak for yourself retard. Some of us have an attention span longer than 5 seconds.

^ Top  
  10. Jim Cojones Prophet

Jim Cojones
    I wouldn't say Monkey Island's dialogues were interactive. You just had to click every single line you were offered and sometimes you got a fake choice between "I'm selling these fine leather jackets" and similar text so player's role was rather just reading than influencing dialogue in any way. Oh, wait...

^ Top  
  11. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    What the fuck is very RPGish? Kinda like a Chihuahua being Rottweiler-ish?

Indeed, let's remove all features because by themselves don't define an RPG.
    Let's have 3 dialog choices including "Goodbye" and items automatically equipped or however the fuck works in ME2. This is what RPGs are about.

And what the hell is with this "what we learned" shit? It's the same shit Bethesda is spewing. They're companies who have developed games from fuck knows when. Do they still need to learn not to make stupid mistakes?

^ Top  
  12. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    As usual, comments for the lulz.

There's your RPG right there.

^ Top  
  13. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    How else can you role-play a gentleman, huh? Think man!

^ Top  
  14. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Can you role-play an XTREME collar-grabbing gentleman? If not it's not an RPG.

^ Top  
  15. Gosling Liturgist

Gosling
    fixed

^ Top  
  16. random_encounter Educated

random_encounter
    So ADD is required behavior nowadays? If so, then I'm surprised that anyone can hold a job, much less make cereal in the morning. It's nice to see that Bioware doesn't think much of the intelligence of its audience.

"Damn these Cheerios, chewing made me forget that I'm supposed to swallow next! FFS!!"

^ Top  
  17. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    I've never really understood the point of trying to pigeon-hole a game into a genre. I guess it's useful if your intent is to compare it to other games in said genre, but really I only tend to rank games by "Was it entertaining, and if so, how entertaining was it?"

I don't particularly care if ME2 was a action game with some RPG aspects or an RPG game with some action aspects - either way it was damn entertaining.

^ Top  
  18. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "Bioware seems to not recall who built them in the first place."

STFU BIO knows who build them up. BIo build themselevs up with no help. FFS The so called 'hardcore BIO fans' don't give a shit about BIO so STFU.

BIO's job is to make sure they stay a healthy business, and to do so they make games they (well.. EA) will do that.

They don't owe anyone shit except try to deliver what they say they will.

FFS this attitude that 'fans' make companies is fuckin' bullshit. Companies make themselves by delivering what the customers want. FFS

And, BIO so far, has fuckin' done that in spades. The vocal minority means fuckin' shit.

^ Top  
  19. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    *plays Wizardry 8*
    *levels up*
    "WHAAAT!? OMG HALP WAT IS GOING ON"

New genre:

"New shit RPG"

Features:

- Fully voice-acted dialogue

- "Character development" (scripted, sometimes can go good/evil/neutral, good = saint, evil = baby-killer, neutral = kill babies sometimes, be saint to balance it out other times)

- roleplaying choices to define your character
    example:
    NPC: Do you want to buy it?
    PC: 1. Fuck yeah!
    2. Hell yeah!
    3. Yeah!

- you get items (e.g. chainsaw, chain gun, rocket launcher, shotgun)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    If you have to ask...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I SPENT FIVE SECONDS IN A MENU INSTEAD OF SHOOTING I FORGOT WHAT WAS GOING ON I HAVE A VERY SHORT MEMORY OMG PLEASE FIX THIS

^ Top  
  22. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    I just had a brilliant idea for new RPGs: players want to feel empowered and strong. So from now on, start games at level 50 and make sure every ability is already at least halfway mastered. So instead of going from shit -> mediocre -> okay -> good -> god you go from -> awesome -> uber-awesome -> king of the world. It'd empower players and synergise their disparities to maximize pro-active playing epiphanies. = $$$

And there really needs to be a feature that if you lose a battle you get to continue anyway. Scratch that, make it so you never lose a battle. Game-over screen = no more immersion. When your health gets critical just activate super-kill attacks and health-adrenaline regen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    There go my hopes for a good modern low-level RPG ever being made :cry:

^ Top  
  24. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Jasede:
    maybe you should apply for a job at bio or beth you seem to understand game design well

^ Top  
  25. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    I think we should license the best dress-up engine there is for our next game. People in Champions Online spend 30% of their time just fiddling with their avatar to make it look nicer. In Everquest 2 people sometimes roll need on good items just to put them into an appearance slot. --> If you can customize who you are, it'll be like it's really you who is slaying all these monsters.

Oh just got another good one: level scale enemies DOWN. That way it'll feel like the player is getting stronger and stronger with minimal effort.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)