Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Mass Effect 2 Tracks 'Hundreds of Variables'

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Edward_R_Murrow, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

There's <a href="http://www.pcworld.com/article/168953/building_bridges_casey_hudson_talks_mass_effect_2.html">a Mass Effect 2 centered interview</a> with Bioware's Casey Hudson on PCWorld. There's a lot of fluff information, but Mr. Hudson does make a pretty bold claim about how the save-game imports will work in Mass Effect 2.<blockquote>When you import it into Mass Effect 2, now we can continue mining all that information. And it's not just what your ending was, or a couple of the big choices, you know, where we could have stuck a conversation at the beginning and asked you what you did and moved on. This is literally hundreds of things.
    <br>
    [...]
    <br>
    Jump forward two years. Now you're playing Mass Effect 2, and oh my god, who's this, it's Conrad Verner! And based on what you've done, you realize that while the moment in the first game maybe seemed throwaway, now Conrad's back and involved in another plot in a game you're playing two years later...and what you did two years ago is meaningfully affecting what's happening. That's a small example.
    <br>
    [...]
    <br>
    The larger examples are things like...take the way you navigate through the ending of Mass Effect, how you left the galaxy in a certain state with humans, whether they were in control of the Galactic Council or not, things like that. In Mass Effect 2, when you walk around, you'll see all the areas affected by your decisions, including large scale stuff like the Citadel. You'll see signs all over the place that either humans are in control or that they're working more with the aliens and the Citadel is more like it was in the first game.
    <br>
    [...]
    <br>
    It's also part of dialogues, part of signs that you see, even reflected in PA announcements that you'll hear. So it's woven through the entire experience, from beginning to end.</blockquote>Hundreds of variables doesn't mean much, however. Like the backgrounds in ME1, it could result in mostly cosmetic dialogue lines from NPCs (though each did have a unique quest associated with them). It remains to be seen whether or not choices made in the first game will really matter, or if this will be akin to the Bethesda statement on Fallout 3 having "hundreds of endings".
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

^ Top  
  2. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    I'm too tired to comment on this shit.

^ Top  
  3. Turok Erudite

Turok
    I delete my old saves and i dont want replay the game, what happen to my game on me2? :D

^ Top  
  4. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    You'll play the exact same game as everyone else except miss out on a few pieces of insignificant flavor text.

^ Top  
  5. Turok Erudite

Turok
    ohhhh

Hey something like this was promised for Baldurs gate serie no? in the end was just for complete the bazooca armor with the golden pants no?

^ Top  
  6. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    It won't matter, as like all Bioware games, no matter what you do, they lead to the same thing.

r00fles!

Granted, 1 or 2 of your NPC's might not be with you in ME2.

^ Top  
  7. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    There's a two-year gap?

^ Top  
  8. WalterKinde Scholar

WalterKinde
    More hype, dont buy into it,

^ Top  
  9. Junior Boy Educated

Junior Boy
    SHEPARD YOUR METHODS ARE UNCONVENTIONAL BUT GOD DAMMIT YOU GET THE JOB DONE YOU RENEGADE.

^ Top  
  10. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Not a loss.
    Besides they will replace all of them with new ones after the ship'll blow.

^ Top  
  11. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "t won't matter, as like all Bioware games, no matter what you do, they lead to the same thing."

Flat out lie.

^ Top  
  12. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    Yup! You'll get a new Carth/Anomen, Korgan/Canderous, and Jaheria/Bastila before long! Bioware wouldn't let you suffer without your favorite NPC archetypes.

"Oh hey, I heard about what happened to Ashley. I knew her back from the war. We were... friends. My name is Hailey. I'll be joining your new crew."

"Oh hey, I heard about what happened to Kaidan. I knew him back from the war. We were... friends. My name is Raiden. I'll be joining your new crew."

"You're Shephard? Humph. Not so special. I'm Wrocks. I'm searching for my brother Wrex. How about we team up?"

^ Top  
  13. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Did I actually wrote "new ones"?

^ Top  
  14. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    No, of course not.

^ Top  
  15. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Hyperbole, maybe, but hardly a lie.

You're such a master of rhetoric Volourn. I can see you in a roman forum, with your eagle charisma, godlike stature, all subtle and well defined irony, calling out the lesser man, the one with mediocre education and culture - FLAT OUT LIE ROOFLES!

^ Top  
  16. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    LOL r00fles!

^ Top  
  18. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "Hyperbole, maybe, but hardly a lie."

Hyperbole = lie disguised as something.

When you state something that isn't true it is a lie. Period.

^ Top  
  19. sportforredneck Liturgist

sportforredneck
    You can't argue with Volourn logic. It's foolproof.

^ Top  
  20. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    But is it retard proof?

On Das Aktuel - If even a part of those hundreds of variables had more impact on gameplay than a bit altered dialogue then it would mean very different gameplay for different people - I have yet to see something like that and until now Bioware hasn't delivered anything like that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sulimo Arcane Patron

Sulimo
    Wasteland 2
    Renegade -> "Shepard! You'll be sorry denying me your autograph! I have come back to fight you in this giant mecha, now die! Muhauhauhauha!"
    "Sorry, Vernerd, but I happen to have noticed your mecha has a collar. It's collargrabbing time!"

Paragon -> "Hey, commander Shepard! I'm glad to see you again. Say, I got a job at an armory, and we have the newest items in stock. You can buy them from me for a friendly price!"
    "Gee, Conrad, I don't know what to say. Thanks, I suppose."

^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    :lol:

^ Top  
  23. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    :lol:

You would think they would learn not to wear collars with Commander Shepard on the prowl.

^ Top  
  24. Cthulhugoat Arbiter

Cthulhugoat
    Just like Fallout 3 had hundreds of endings.

^ Top  
  25. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    The same as if you played 100% neutral on ME1, I guess

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)