Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Mass Effect 2 Tracks 'Hundreds of Variables'

Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

There's <a href="http://www.pcworld.com/article/168953/building_bridges_casey_hudson_talks_mass_effect_2.html">a Mass Effect 2 centered interview</a> with Bioware's Casey Hudson on PCWorld. There's a lot of fluff information, but Mr. Hudson does make a pretty bold claim about how the save-game imports will work in Mass Effect 2.<blockquote>When you import it into Mass Effect 2, now we can continue mining all that information. And it's not just what your ending was, or a couple of the big choices, you know, where we could have stuck a conversation at the beginning and asked you what you did and moved on. This is literally hundreds of things.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Jump forward two years. Now you're playing Mass Effect 2, and oh my god, who's this, it's Conrad Verner! And based on what you've done, you realize that while the moment in the first game maybe seemed throwaway, now Conrad's back and involved in another plot in a game you're playing two years later...and what you did two years ago is meaningfully affecting what's happening. That's a small example.
<br>
[...]
<br>
The larger examples are things like...take the way you navigate through the ending of Mass Effect, how you left the galaxy in a certain state with humans, whether they were in control of the Galactic Council or not, things like that. In Mass Effect 2, when you walk around, you'll see all the areas affected by your decisions, including large scale stuff like the Citadel. You'll see signs all over the place that either humans are in control or that they're working more with the aliens and the Citadel is more like it was in the first game.
<br>
[...]
<br>
It's also part of dialogues, part of signs that you see, even reflected in PA announcements that you'll hear. So it's woven through the entire experience, from beginning to end.</blockquote>Hundreds of variables doesn't mean much, however. Like the backgrounds in ME1, it could result in mostly cosmetic dialogue lines from NPCs (though each did have a unique quest associated with them). It remains to be seen whether or not choices made in the first game will really matter, or if this will be akin to the Bethesda statement on Fallout 3 having "hundreds of endings".
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

Turok

Erudite
I delete my old saves and i dont want replay the game, what happen to my game on me2? :D

Chefe

Erudite
You'll play the exact same game as everyone else except miss out on a few pieces of insignificant flavor text.

Turok

Erudite
Chefe said:
You'll play the exact same game as everyone else except miss out on a few pieces of insignificant flavor text.
ohhhh

Hey something like this was promised for Baldurs gate serie no? in the end was just for complete the bazooca armor with the golden pants no?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It won't matter, as like all Bioware games, no matter what you do, they lead to the same thing.

r00fles!

Granted, 1 or 2 of your NPC's might not be with you in ME2.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"t won't matter, as like all Bioware games, no matter what you do, they lead to the same thing."

Flat out lie.

Chefe

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:
Granted, 1 or 2 of your NPC's might not be with you in ME2.
Not a loss.
Besides they will replace all of them with new ones after the ship'll blow.

Yup! You'll get a new Carth/Anomen, Korgan/Canderous, and Jaheria/Bastila before long! Bioware wouldn't let you suffer without your favorite NPC archetypes.

"Oh hey, I heard about what happened to Ashley. I knew her back from the war. We were... friends. My name is Hailey. I'll be joining your new crew."

"Oh hey, I heard about what happened to Kaidan. I knew him back from the war. We were... friends. My name is Raiden. I'll be joining your new crew."

"You're Shephard? Humph. Not so special. I'm Wrocks. I'm searching for my brother Wrex. How about we team up?"

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
"t won't matter, as like all Bioware games, no matter what you do, they lead to the same thing."

Flat out lie.

Hyperbole, maybe, but hardly a lie.

You're such a master of rhetoric Volourn. I can see you in a roman forum, with your eagle charisma, godlike stature, all subtle and well defined irony, calling out the lesser man, the one with mediocre education and culture - FLAT OUT LIE ROOFLES!

Chefe

Erudite
Serious_Business said:
Volourn said:

Flat out lie.

Hyperbole, maybe, but hardly a lie.

You're such a master of rhetoric Volourn. I can see you in a roman forum, with your eagle charisma, godlike stature, all subtle and well defined irony, calling out the lesser man, the one with mediocre education and culture - FLAT OUT LIE ROOFLES!

roofles.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hyperbole, maybe, but hardly a lie."

Hyperbole = lie disguised as something.

When you state something that isn't true it is a lie. Period.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
But is it retard proof?

On Das Aktuel - If even a part of those hundreds of variables had more impact on gameplay than a bit altered dialogue then it would mean very different gameplay for different people - I have yet to see something like that and until now Bioware hasn't delivered anything like that.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Jump forward two years. Now you're playing Mass Effect 2, and oh my god, who's this, it's Conrad Verner! And based on what you've done, you realize that while the moment in the first game maybe seemed throwaway, now Conrad's back and involved in another plot in a game you're playing two years later...and what you did two years ago is meaningfully affecting what's happening. That's a small example.

Renegade -> "Shepard! You'll be sorry denying me your autograph! I have come back to fight you in this giant mecha, now die! Muhauhauhauha!"
"Sorry, Vernerd, but I happen to have noticed your mecha has a collar. It's collargrabbing time!"

Paragon -> "Hey, commander Shepard! I'm glad to see you again. Say, I got a job at an armory, and we have the newest items in stock. You can buy them from me for a friendly price!"
"Gee, Conrad, I don't know what to say. Thanks, I suppose."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sulimo said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:

Renegade -> "Shepard! You'll be sorry denying me your autograph! I have come back to fight you in this giant mecha, now die! Muhauhauhauha!"
"Sorry, Vernerd, but I happen to have noticed your mecha has a collar. It's collargrabbing time!"

Paragon -> "Hey, commander Shepard! I'm glad to see you again. Say, I got a job at an armory, and we have the newest items in stock. You can buy them from me for a friendly price!"

:lol:

Chefe

Erudite
Sulimo said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:

:lol:

You would think they would learn not to wear collars with Commander Shepard on the prowl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom