Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Mass Effect 3: A Narratological Review

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Apr 23, 2012.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

For the last couple of weeks TNO did nothing else but to tirelessly play through Mass Effect 3 time and again with the noble goal to bring us the third of his narratological reviews of the Mass Effect series. Let's have a snippet:
    Read the full article: Mass Effect 3: A Narratological Review

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  2. hiver Guest

hiver
    Gee,... talk about extra stamina...

Lets read, if only because the poor fellow went through such a horrible ordeal to bring this review to us.
    Gas masks on! Vaseline buckets at the ready!

Dive! Dive! Diiive!

^ Top  
  3. Stinger Arcane

Stinger
    Just finished reading it. It's a great breakdown of the game. The only thing I'd disagree on is that his explanation of the Tuchanka C&C doesn't sound that intricate or a particularly difficult moral choice. Amd Renegade still sounds like being an utter dickbag for no good reason rather than making ruthless but necessary choices for the greater good. It sounds like plenty of RPGs have better C&C than the Tuchanka storyline rather than just Alpha Protocol- but maybe if I actually saw it in effect I'd think otherwise.

But that said, it was a really good review that seems to have covered the story quite well so TNO has my brofist if he posts here. The last two paragraphs in particular are quite glorious :salute:

^ Top  
  4. waywardOne Cipher

waywardOne
    Good analysis. I expected to cringe during the inevitable "but here's what Bioware did well" part, but I didn't.

^ Top  
  5. CrustyBot Arcane Patron

CrustyBot
    Codex 2012
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  6. hiver Guest

hiver
    Whoooaaaa....

dang...
    :wipes slime and bad looking gunk from gas mask visor:

Ah,... few... Im out.

Good review, mang, of course.
    :salute: :splatters bioware gunk over everyone while saluting:

I need to wash off... well, i need to desterilize really.
    If youll excuse me gentlemen...

Going to the car wash...!
    Going to the car Wash , WASH, WASH!
    yeaaaahhh....

^ Top  
  7. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Good review, although it could have used more lulz.

^ Top  
  8. Seboist Arcane Patron

Seboist
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Great Review! ME3 was horrible right from the get-go when they started having stupid shit like having the defense committee acting like clueless morons in order to metaphorically jack off the player and when they introduced the deus ex machina crucible.

^ Top  
  9. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    An outstanding review!

:thumbsup:

^ Top  
  10. Krraloth Prophet Patron

Krraloth
    Wasteland 2
    Majestic review.
    Well balanced and level-headed.
    I will enjoy linking to some people who are still playing ME3 to enjoy their rage sweet butt-hurt.

^ Top  
  11. Fens Ford of the Llies

Fens
    enjoyed reading that more than i enjoyed playing ME
    :salute:

^ Top  
  12. Tical Arcane

Tical
    I think I played the first ME for about 30 minutes before I couldn't stomach any more. Why would anyone invest this much time on such a stupid game from such a stupid series? Come on, that kind of masochism could be put to better use.

Might as well write a fucking doctrine for Lionheart or Mistmare while you're at it.

^ Top  
  13. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam
    could have been longer that "you should avoid ME3/the series" remark was too much, why so prejudiced against mole poppers? Why do you assume people won't just enjoy popping the moles and have a laugh at the writing?

anyway, :thumbsup:

sounds like this is the only review of the sort on the internet, you successfully fought the good fight with your words
    "LA LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOO"

paging Volourn

^ Top  
  14. Sul Savant

Sul
    Didn't take long.:lol:

^ Top  
  15. CrustyBot Arcane Patron

CrustyBot
    Codex 2012
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/11622803#11624157

Looks like your review has it's fans, TNO.

:troll:

edit: Dammit Sul. :lol:

^ Top  
  16. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam
    someone invite Amioran over here, for assimilation

^ Top  
  17. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam

hope no one ninja's me this time

edit: yes

^ Top  
  18. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam
    :lol:

^ Top  
  19. CrustyBot Arcane Patron

CrustyBot
    Codex 2012
    :lol:

:hero:

^ Top  
  20. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    So I actually read the whole thing and I gotta say TNO sums it up very well. ME2 was the least poor game in the series, and the series overall felt like a missed opportunity.
    Brahfist, brah.

^ Top  
  21. jiduthie Educated

jiduthie
    In the entire series I've played about 60% of the first and watched a roommate play quite a bit of the second. Being vaguely aware of the rage surrounding ME3's ending, I have been somewhat surprised by it. None of the characters seemed to have any depth, not even on the level of the standouts in KOTORs, and the story line was obviously one built for a 3 part video game. It demonstrated no comfort or awareness within its constraints and didn't seem to aspire to the grand themes that are the typical wheelhouse of these types of stories. I'm not sure what is philosophical about "order vs chaos," as one is a recognizable value and the other isn't. I'm unaware of any philosopher who held chaos to be a force for good in society. Even Serenity, a movie I found ham-fisted in its handling of theme, aspired to tell us something about what it is to be human.

Having read the description and watched the youtube video linked here of the ending of ME3, I'm still not sure what exactly happened or why people are angry (A fault I'll attribute to the ending rather than the reviewer), but I can't help feeling that the series got the ending it deserved. The game was an average cover shooter held together by simple character improvement systems and an admirable technical attempt at improving facial expressions in console games. The ending seems to be series of simple choices, good looking explosions, and a nice shot of a pilot attempting to escape the mayhem of it all. Where exactly is the disconnect?

I suppose the hope here should be that developers in the future reconsider using "a force which threatens all of existence" as an easy device with which to make a game compelling, but people around here having been using failed games to generate that hope for years and I don't think any Codexer will be holding his breath.

^ Top  
  22. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    The first one is the only one that was able to get me to the end. If that means anything. The second one was mostly banal.

^ Top  
  23. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    The first was a lost oppertunity. The second was carried mainly by the BRO moments with Wrex, Mordin and Garrus. The third looked like a steaming pile of shit, set off warning bells. If everything i've read and seen on the internet so far is even remotely correct, I dodged a bullet by not even contaminating my interwebz with a pirated copy.

the biodrone butthurt is delicious, mind you. I like how they accuse us of liking no games whatsoever, even though this forum has a long and prestigious list of things we generally love :obviously:

Link for butthurt biodrones who are too afraid to search the forum on their own:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-the-must-play-games.55367/

You can add Jagged Alliance 2, Vampire the masquerade bloodlines, Deus Ex, System Shock 1+2, thief 1+2 and UFO: Enemy unknown (XCom UFO defense in kwanzania) to the list of games that we generally :love: around here.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. 861129 Cipher

What a cunt. Too bad it's in the game owners' circle jerk section. It would be fun to hear him explain exactly how he thinks Mass Effect treats 'the philosophical theme "order vs. chaos"' meaningfully.

^ Top  
  25. CrustyBot Arcane Patron

CrustyBot
    Codex 2012
    I've never bought (or even played) Mass Effect 3.

:smug:

It's in the general section where anyone with an account can post.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)