Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mass Effect 3: A Narratological Review

4too

Arcane
History Repeats

Holy, wholly, hole …

Will ME3 reap Electronic Game Industrial Complex Literary awards as did FO3?

Infinite possibilities …
200px-Ouroboros-simple.svg.png

and one probable consummation?

Will the circle be un-broken ...

Bye and bye,

will reserve the appropriate synapses of dramatic anticipation. ;)

4too

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
In all seriousness, DU is going to hate it when site traffic increases again. Our prestigious magazine is growing too prestigious for the server to handle.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I can feel the enthusiasm. It's overflowing in this thread.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Awaiting Diablo 3 review to attract more site traffics and continue the tradition.:incline:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
if there's a chance streamlock's reading
streamlock said:
Look, I'm not a ME3 apologist by any stretch, but I am curious....

What game/series does the writer actually like? From reading that bit I find it improbably that he/she can enjoy ANY game.
dunno what game or series(?) he likes, but

TNO=TheNamelessOne=Planescape:Torment

story isn't everything in a game, what the fuck is wrong with you? I mean the assumption that the guy can't enjoy gameplay is kind of fucked up

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
"Hi all! ^_______^ I found this cool place by googling Diablo 3 reviews, I'm so glad I have found like-minded gamers upset at the dumbing down of the great rpg that is Diablo twwooooaaHHOLY SHIT YOU GUYS HATE EVERYTHING HERE WHAT IS UP WITH THAT"

Well since I never heard of RPGCodex and thanks to Bioware's forum I was able to find it. I felt that with the cross-talk between two boards is stupid and with anything on the internet it can be interpreted wrong. Usually I try to avoid/ignore reviews on recent games since most time it is either the people are pretty much giving a free blowjob to the company that made the game or they are shitting down their throat.

Since I find the obsession with Mass Effect is all over the internet I am finding it interesting what people are thinking of it. Most of what I have seen is people either praising it, or praising it harder. Anything that does not follow this trend is ignored by a lot of people (on BSN of course). Then I found this review, when I first say it...I did not fully know the writers style, it came off brash and arrogant but it did bring up critical points. After seeing some of the posts here I have a closer idea on how reviews work here and felt this has been a good break down of the narrative.

My only critique I have on the review is the point brought up on tropes, cliches and jumping the shark. To me Mass Effect is always a "pick you story" book, or from my childhood "Choose your Scare". They jumped the shark when they made Shepard a Mary-sue in the first game with the knowledge of the Protheans. To me rehashing what people should know is always irksome. The two main arcs of the Genophage, and Geth vs Quarian were excellent. The N7 missions were basic generic side-missions trying to tie multiplayer with the the SP game. The fetch quests were crap. The Priority: Earth mission would of been okay in a FPS or something else, it felt bland for something that was at the end of a series. The ending was just the ending.

I treated the game like basic D&D-esque shlock, space opera game. The story is good, basic nothing revolutionary or a hard sci-fi. I did not follow the hype from the media or put Bioware into some standard that oozes from that area. To me the game a very good, probably an 80 if I was going to rate it. I know that is generous in your opinions, but that is not for me to care on that front.

Also the linked page with top games he enjoyed. I found a lot already played, on the queue to play and some more to check out. Thanks for the info for that!

misha

Educated
The story is good, basic nothing revolutionary or a hard sci-fi.

Bioware's big problem - shitty direction of evolution of their games. ME(1) wasn't perfect, but the story made sense, ok there is horde of meat (Geths), misterious villain, and more misterious villains. In ME2 it was somewhat nerfed to running after your companions, they copy.paste horde calling it collectors, destroyed customisation of character. In ME3... well :roll:
The same thing; infinity games->NWN->DA:O->DA2. DA:O was meant to be a successor of BG series, party base, tactical (note that many here do not call BG tactical, coz it should be turn based). It wasn't perfect, but it could be repaired. DA2 copied system of ME2 - more action, awesomness and only significant sidequest were concerned around gaining your companions attention.

There are many people here that do not appreciate such kind of evoooluuutionary direction.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well since I never heard of RPGCodex and thanks to Bioware's forum I was able to find it. I felt that with the cross-talk between two boards is stupid and with anything on the internet it can be interpreted wrong. Usually I try to avoid/ignore reviews on recent games since most time it is either the people are pretty much giving a free blowjob to the company that made the game or they are shitting down their throat.

Welcome, BioBRO. That statement sounds like you'll fit right in. Have a complimentary brofist.

hiver

Oh for fuck sake... i hoped dumbasses from here will go to bioware boards not the other way around!
Go back! All of you go to bsn! You can argue about ass turd 3 there all you want!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
:kicks Varna in the kidney really hard:
Leave the girl alone fuckface or ill bite something off. Mkay?
Or give your ass some tough love with a bar stool.

------------------

No probs babe. I severely dislike anyone that hurts other people that do not deserve it.
And Varna in his replies went down the path i especially despise.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Mylia Stenetch, future hivemind assimilee/BRO, try to ignore hiver

or check out his post history if you want to know what kind of person he is

You should start reading up on our Lore down in Retardo Land, or something

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom