Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect drama - teh graphikz r dumbed down!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=161421

BioWare has responded to the public outcry over yesterday's rather rough-looking Mass Effect screenshots, admitting that the shots were a "mistake" and "didn't look very good".

"The other day, we released 3 new screenshots," posts BioWare community coordinator Chris Priestly. "A few people posted comments about how the art in Mass Effect was 'dumbed down' and wasn't looking very good. And I took exception to the comment and posted my feelings. The problem was, the screenshots they were criticising DIDN'T look very good."

The post continues: "The whole truth of the matter is that the person at BioWare who took those screenshots made a mistake. People in our industry don't admit this much, but we do make mistakes.

"The person took those screens at the last minute as they were needed for the article. He did take them in game from areas of the game that worked and then he sent them off... He didn't clear them with Casey and the ME team (and the Photoshop department, apparently - VD) though."

To prove to internet doubters that the RPG stunner in fact hasn't been "dumbed down" Priestly went and captured a new screenshot which he says "much more accurately shows the true quality of the art that you'll see in Mass Effect".

You can see the screenshot for yourself on the right of this page - and admittedly it's a vast improvement over the shoddily compressed pics from yesterday.

"I just wanted everyone to see this, especially those who had some concerns about the final quality, so they would have a better idea of what the game will really be like.
Deja fucking vu. Remember when Bethesda claimed the same bullshit when the Russian preview with "illegal" screens was posted?

HotSnack

Cipher
A few people posted comments about how the art in Mass Effect was 'dumbed down' and wasn't looking very good.
So the overall complaint was that the graphics looked "dumbed down"? Is it safe to assume that this also mean the overall target gamer are ones who don't even know what "dumbed down" means?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have heard all year.

Seriously.

MountainWest

Scholar
Spectacle said:
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have heard all year.

Seriously.

You're obviously not dumbed down enough. Please report to the nearest console for a cerebral cortex suppressant.

To prove to internet doubters that the RPG stunner in fact hasn't been "dumbed down" Priestly went and captured a new screenshot which he says "much more accurately shows the true quality of the art that you'll see in Mass Effect".

R00FLES!

Though I can't help to wonder whether there really are others who thinks the graphics looks 'dumbed down', or if it's in fact Chris Pristley himself using the phrase, thus hinting that his role as Community Coordinator at the BioBoards have made him 'dumbed down'.

And now the big question for you native speakers out there: Is it "has made him"? or "have made him"? The former gives 939000 google-hits, the latter 974000 hits. "It have made him" gets 21200 hits while "It has made him" gets 31600 hits. I guess there's some parameter I'm not counting.

Surgey

Scholar
I noticed the graphics looked a little rough compared to other shots, but I really just didn't give a shit, though. I'm not going to play this game based solely on how shiny teh graphix are.

hoochimama

Liturgist
HotSnack said:
Is it safe to assume that this also mean the overall target gamer are ones who don't even know what "dumbed down" means?

Image Quality is the new IQ.

MountainWest

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
I'm not a native speaker, but:

It has ...
They have ...

A majority win for the google population then - by an uncanny small margain, I might add. I guess those 21200 treacherous hits reflects back on people like... me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MountainWest said:
Vault Dweller said:
I'm not a native speaker, but:

It has ...
They have ...

A majority win for the google population then - by an uncanny small margain, I might add. I guess those 21200 treacherous hits reflects back on people like... me.

[Grammar Nazi Mode]
It should be reflect, not reflects, because the word hits, in this case, is plural. The verb form you used would be more appropriate if the word was singular.
[/Grammar Nazi Mode]

MountainWest

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
[Grammar Nazi Mode]
It should be reflect, not reflects, because the word hits, in this case, is plural. The verb form you used would be more appropriate if the word was singular.
[/Grammar Nazi Mode]

Now I'm afraid to write anything... But seriously, getting picked on is a good thing. While my English is crappy, I have a pretty good memory and I won't make the same mistake again. At least not until my next post.

Hmm, I was going to write 'While my English sucks", but then I thought that perhaps 'While my English suck' was correct. The rule of singular vs plural doesn't apply in this particular case (or does it? - 'It suck?'). And that sentence is, for obvious reasons, probably the worst to search on Google, if one wants to get a realiable majority win.

Is it:
They suck?
It sucks?
He/She sucks donkey dicks?

And does this apply on all verbs?

They walk
It walks
He/She walks

?

Astromarine said:
not to mention uncanniLY small would work better. /grin

I get a distinct feeling of having opened a can of worms. I'm bound to make new mistakes everytime I post a reply to someones correction, thus this thread will grow infinitively and in an uncannily near future fill up and threathen the very internet itself.

Section8

Cipher
The post continues: "The whole truth of the matter is that the person at BioWare who took those screenshots made a mistake. People in our industry don't admit this much, but we do make mistakes.

Fuck you, you fucking prostitute. People in "your" industry admit their mistakes all the time. Some of them even learn from them. Besides, it takes nothing to admit a "mistake" when its in your best interests as a company to do so. On the other hand, it takes balls to admit you've wronged your customer. I don't think i've ever heard Bioware even so much as hint at that.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MountainWest said:
And now the big question for you native speakers out there: Is it "has made him"? or "have made him"? The former gives 939000 google-hits, the latter 974000 hits. "It have made him" gets 21200 hits while "It has made him" gets 31600 hits. I guess there's some parameter I'm not counting.
Imagine that it occured to you 2 years ago that you were unable to use Google. Wouldn't it have made you feel uncomfortable?

MountainWest

Scholar
Jasede said:
Best. Website. Ever.
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/
Keep this bookmarked at all times.

I will. Thanks. He seems like a likeable fellow:
(In my grumpier moods, I'm convinced the whole world's going to hell — but then, I'm convinced the whole world's been going to hell since time out of mind. In my more sanguine moods, I wonder whether hell isn't such a bad place to be after all.)

Elwro said:
Imagine that it occured to you 2 years ago that you were unable to use Google. Wouldn't it have made you feel uncomfortable?
Ah, of course. That's the missing parameter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" I don't think i've ever heard Bioware even so much as hint at that."

Then you are deaf, and dumb. They have admitted errors multiple times. If they didn't; they wouldn't do bug fixes at all. L0L

Anywyas, thw whiny bullshit baout the pics was stupid. They looked fine. Damn retarded graphic whores looking for 'perfection'. Fuck 'em.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JarlFrank said:
You cannot dumb down graphics. You can only dumb down the intelligent parts of the game.
Well, the graphics ARE the most intelligent part of many games these days. At least the engine is easily the most sophisticated part of many games, with most thought and effort put into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom