Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect drama - teh graphikz r dumbed down!

Inziladun

Magister
Ah, here's the Original thread where the posters are up-in-arms about the textures being "dumbed down". It was linked in the thread I previously linked but I missed it on my first skim-through.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=104

I particularly like the response to this statement.

"Yes, your character's gender will affect the game quite a bit. Some of the lines that other characters speak will be different, and some subplots will open or close. But of course the biggest difference is in the romance subplots, which can involve different people depending on your gender. "

^^^This better not mean I can't be bi in the game
icon_mad.gif

Pegultagol

Erudite
Could it have been just what it would look like without the HD display to fully render them with justice?

Has anyone checked out their new 'official' trailer also? It is Unreal Engine 3 in full glory, rather impressive, but somehow Bioware managed to shoehorn it into looking just like the rest of their last gen console games...especially conspicuous is the camera angles in cinematic cutscenes, with some interaction in terms of how characters interact synched with dialog.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I don't get it. I think those screenshots look fine.

... or have they since been updated and I'm looking at the new ones?

Surgey

Scholar
sportforredneck said:
aries202 said:
that so many people apparently do care more about the visuals of the game, ME, than the underlying storyline.
Probably due to the fact that "Save the galaxy from evil robots" is a mind numbing choice as a plot.

Isn't that what Space Rangers 2 was about?

Inziladun said:
Ah, here's the Original thread where the posters are up-in-arms about the textures being "dumbed down". It was linked in the thread I previously linked but I missed it on my first skim-through.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=104

I particularly like the response to this statement.

"Yes, your character's gender will affect the game quite a bit. Some of the lines that other characters speak will be different, and some subplots will open or close. But of course the biggest difference is in the romance subplots, which can involve different people depending on your gender. "

^^^This better not mean I can't be bi in the game
icon_mad.gif

From this, we can deduce that all bisexuals are Oblivitards who're afraid of choices.

Fez

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
I don't get it. I think those screenshots look fine.

... or have they since been updated and I'm looking at the new ones?

The textures and resolution in the "horrible" shots are slightly lower quality, along with maybe some of the fancy extras from the latest GFX card features. Those "bad" screen shots are what it will probably look like on most people's systems.

DemonKing

Arcane
I couldn't tell the "bad" shots from the "good" shot.

Frankly it looks fine to me (in a console sense). The real problem will be in the gameplay.

I recently finished Jade Empire on PC and despite having an enjoyable storyline albeit with overly verbose dialog it was severlly lacking in terms of the combat engine, inventory "system" and non-linearity.

Frankly the way Bio are going I wouldn't be surprised if they soon start publishing combat-free adventure titles (with Romances, of course!).

Inziladun

Magister
DemonKing said:
Frankly the way Bio are going I wouldn't be surprised if they soon start publishing combat-free adventure titles (with Romances, of course!).

Bioware has always had sub-par combat in their RPGs. How exactly would they go from crappy combat to no combat all of the sudden? That assumption would have to be based on the fact that Bioware acknowledges the fact that the combat in their games "sucks" and that their solution would be to get rid of it altogether. Besides, Mass Effect's storyline is nothing but combat and how much ass Commander Bauer kicks. Anyway, not that I have much hope for Mass Effect's combat but it may be decent considering it looks like it's going for an action-shooter approach.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bioware has always had sub-par combat in their RPGs."

Bullshit. Their games have some of the best combat EVER in RPGs.

Period.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Muddy textures, looks like the texture resolution has been halved. Poor contrast as well, as if the gamma setting has been turned up too far.

At the end of the day, the graphics are one of the main selling points for this game, so expect each screenshot to be put under the microscope.

Section8

Cipher
Bioware need crappy combat in their games, because it's there to pad out the other 5% of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom