Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Mass Effect Series Retrospective by Shamus Young

2house2fly

Magister
But in this universe your species is also a nationality of sorts. You visit the Asari Homeworld, tour Quarian ships, and meet Turian officers. Everything is capitalized. But then here in Andromeda, kett isn’t capitalized. You find kett guns, kett warships, and kett troops. I don’t know which of these is correct and maybe we don’t have coherent rules for the cases where a species is also a political affiliation. Whatever. For consistency with the rest of this series, I’m going to continue to capitalize species names when it comes to aliens.
Species names have never been capitalised in Mass Effect. That was one of the things I liked about the first game's presentation when I first played it, because species names aren't capitalised in real life but alien species names are always capitalised in sci-fi. Mass Effect was the first time I saw species names not being capitalised, and I approved. It felt like the game was on my wavelength. Way to pay attention to this franchise you love so much, Shamus.

I've spent the last couple of days reading through his entire Mass Effect series. He makes some good points, shame he collapsed by the end into deranged ranting that the game's writer had some burning hatred for players. Andromeda not making him feel any strong emotions about it is probably for the best, since he might analyse it like a sane person.

SpoilVictor

Educated
I've read whole piece some time ago and it echoes many of my own thoughts. I respect him 'cause he is one of very few people which realize that ME3 ending was only cherry on the top of pile of shieet. And that whatever potential ME1 had was straight killed off with ME2 - ME3 was only logical conlusion of every dumb decision made making ME2.

Funny thing is that BW brought it on themselves. Surely EA pushed them to be more "shootery" than RPG but noone will convice me that it was EA who forced them to make idiotic story and other crap. That's all in the topic of "Masters of cRPG". Release Anthem already and join EA's devs mass grave.

Sykar

Arcane
The one thing I disagree with him is gameplay. I still consider the core gameplay of ME 1 superior to ME 2 by a country mile. ME 2 might feel more "fluid" but is mostly just dumbed down similar to what happened in DA 2 and "Awesome button". Shooting became Gears of Wars with generic ammo instead of modding for heat and playing around heating up to much and also risking overheating the weapon but to cut down that last S.O.B instead of risking him getting another shot int.
Unlike what he claims because of the retarded "stripping" system where you have to remove barriers, shields and "armor" first, all of which are just different life bars, having "three interesting" abilities instead of "7 weak ones" is complete and utter nonsense. While the boni he declared "small and insignificant" might seem small individually they add up fast if you concentrate on developing the abilities you like best swiftly and it is good that you cannot develop all of them to the fullest because for fucks sake this was still a cRPG and skill choices matter but even at one point abilities like Throw were situational useful. For example as someone who wanted to go CC master with full control and protection my Adept on my first playthrough focused on Lift, Singularity, Barrier and Stasis. Naturally with not so great Marksman ability my personal damage was not sky high but I frankly did not care. I was having a blast keeping my team safe with well placed CC and Barrier and let them doing the wiping out of the enemy, Garrus and Wrex were especially good at that and were my best buddies alongside Ashley. That and toying with the enemy by ragdolling them all over the place was frankly very satisfactory.

The whole sentence that the powers did not feel "punchy" enough is baffling to me especially once you factor in ME 2's retardation of limiting powers especially biotics to just health and making the COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY NULLIFIED until the enemy is literally in the red by which you kill them faster by shooting them still, making all these fancy moves like Lift and Throw at best ammunition saving finishing moves on higher difficulties especially Hardcore and Insanity makes his statement flat out wrong. In ME 1 powers especially biotics felt powerful even at higher difficulties. It was ME 2 where the derpvelopers decided that to make the game "more difficult" we just take out the punch of certain powers until the enemy is as good as dead anyway.
At worst they are quasi Mortal Combat finishers nice to look at but ultimately meaningless. This meant that Adept was an impotent soldier spamming for the most time Warp and later Reave. Singularity had some situational uses but was not even close to its old power AND FOR NO FUCKING REASON.

The retconning was so stupid, out of place and retarded that no amount of rationalization fixes it. Bioware EA went the Gear of Wars route for one reason only, it was the big hit for console kiddies at the time. Nothing else. They could have easily polished up the gameplay, animations, get new abilities in, etc. But no they went console kiddie route because it is the most common denominator and nothing else.

This degenerates the game even more into sticky cover and shoot whatever is your best "gun" also thanks to the retarded global CD, THE END. Tactics? Are you joking? There are none outside of playing rock paper scissors which was brain dead easy yet Biodrones would tell you to "use proper tactics" when it was pointed out to them that castrating a lot of powers like that was at best idiotic and reduced gameplay even more into turtling behind the best available cover and play rock paper scissors.
In ME 1 you could send out a team mate or go yourself into the open. Immunity and Barrier helped immensely and having a decoy on which the enemy focueses and wastes it time was a valid tactic.´Sometimes you wanted to rush the enemy especially when they comprised mostly of grunts to wipe them out quickly.
Likewise prioritizing was more important. In ME 2 it does not make a big difference what you take out first, but in ME 1 letting that rocket launching turret continue shooting even if the rockets were relatively slow would spell doom. Likewise Asari Commandos were more threatening than the average mook with a gun. Yet this all is meaningless in ME 2 because all you do is sit in cover and "shoot" with whatever is best for the current life bar color.

In a way it is hilarious to me that the ME 3 ending resembles that life bar rock paper scissors game more than anything else in the franchise. It was that retarded.

But then, he comes up with this little gem:
"Miranda is a disaster of conflicting purposes. We’re supposed to believe that this lady is a brilliant medical researcher, and a badass merc, and a super-biotic, and the leader of the research project that CURED DEATH, and a natural team leader, and she barely looks thirty. Even Wesley Crusher wasn’t that big of a miracle child. And then on top of this she’s got this ongoing sob story about growing up fabulously rich and having high expectations placed on her. So on top of her amazing abilities and her insufferable smugness, she’s got this horrible case of daddy issues and first-world problems."

And complements it with this picture.
me2_miranda1.jpg

Lastly he finishes it with "Miranda keeps saying, “Take me seriously!” but I can’t hear her over the cinematographer screaming “WILL YOU LOOK AT THE HOT ASS ON THIS CHICK? 10/10. TOTALLY WOULD BANG.” "
Suffice to say all my muscles required for laughter went :dance:

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Andromeda's combat was actually fairly shit IMO. It played well enough, but 90% of the powers were all just different ways to launch a projectile at your enemy, and it made gameplay very stale, very fast. I think charge & cloak were the only real noteworth powers. Both straight out of earlier games.

Pin your opponent to a wall, use inanimate objects to attack them or protect you, launch yourself 40ft into the air & pick a spot to launch down to so that you can flank enemies, telepathically warp into an enemies mind for 5 seconds at lower levels to observe & higher levels to take over & use for a short time etc. So much more they could have done.

I think the fundamental problem of ME2 is that you're not flying around like Captain Kirk doing cool stuff around the galaxy like in ME1. You're getting ordered around by The Cigarette Smoking Man, and following his orders for no reason. It doesn't matter how good a lot of those missions actually are if you come back after each one to kiss his ass and ask for more work. ME1 at least had the Citadel as a place where you could go and roam around between missions, giving you the illusion of the story being more directed by you than by the writers.

The fundamental problem was that the Bioware developers are fucking retarded who had no idea what to do with the rough diamond they created with ME 1. Instead of taking the criticism to heart and improve they flat out cut everything criticized and turned ME 2 into a retarded Gear of Wars cover shooter with one of the most retarded story plotlines ever, which also went nowhere for the sequel. Neither was it tied in to the first game. It is a complete and utter mess but thankfully Biodrones are such drooling retards that they lapped it up anyway.

For me they should have made ME2 a Garrus spin off, and spent the interm time actually developing the plot & direction of ME1 for a proper sequel.

If you repackaged ME2 as a "Garrus gone rogue" game where he decides to leave Shepards crew, feeling out of his depth with Galaxy-wide affairs & more comfortable looking into more "local" matters such as the Cerberus organisation, then I reckon you'd have had a cracking game (other adjustments included of course such as no mining, better gameplay etc.). Garrus essentially does the same as Shep - investigates Cerberus looking for a way to "better" humanity & standa chance against the Reapers, and possibly getting sucked in by them, fancies his chances as a Shep-type & forms his own gang of "Untouchables" to do what Shep did. It'd actually need very minor tweaking.

Throw in some murder-mysteries to get your bonus' from instead of the minig, & I reckon it could have been a classic.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Except Garrus is an optional squadmate in Mass Effect 1, a bunch of people wouldn't have recruited him. Liara and Tali are the only compulsory ME1 companions who can't die.

2house2fly

Magister
Except Garrus is an optional squadmate in Mass Effect 1, a bunch of people wouldn't have recruited him. Liara and Tali are the only compulsory ME1 companions who can't die.
He's only just optional, you meet him on the main quest and he basically invites himself along. It didn't even occur to me he was optional until I saw people talking about how there's a line or two of dialogue about it in the second game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bumvelcrow

Andromeda Part 3: Colonialism Rules!

mea_splash.jpg

So the writer left behind The Quarians, Volus, Elcor, and Hannar, even though they would all have really good reasons to go and we’d have good reasons to want them along[1]. But then the writer decided to bring…

The Krogan

mea_krogan1.jpg

We just arrived and we're already enemies with the Krogan. If only there was some way would could have anticipated this.

Why? Why would you do this? The Krogan are a dangerously invasive species. It’s not just that they’re incredibly tough and good at fighting, it’s that they’re prolific breeders and naturally disposed to violence.

Centuries ago, the galaxy was getting its ass kicked by the Rachni space-bugs. The Salarians discovered the pre-spaceflight Krogan, realized their combat potential, and brought them to space. Armed with space-armor and zap-guns, the Krogan gleefully wiped out the Rachni. The problem is that once the war was over, there were now millions of heavily armed and incredibly bored Krogan spread all over the galaxy. A single Krogan female could (at the time) lay 1,000 fertile eggs a year. Free of the brutality of their homeworld, their population exploded. There was no way to contain them. And once they ran out of worlds to settle, they invaded the council worlds.

I don’t know if the death toll was in the millions or billions, but it was a pretty large number. So the Salarians cooked up the “genophage”, which would make 99% of Krogan eggs infertile[2]. Thus Krogan population growth was checked and the galaxy was saved from being consumed by the Krogan.

So the Council perpetrated an atrocity to save the galaxy. It’s one of those interesting bits of worldbuilding we inherited from Mass Effect 1, and which later writers could never wrap their heads around. For the most part the later stories took the rhetorical position of “the Genophage was pure evil and they shouldn’t have done it”, which ignores the nuance that made the entire thing so interesting to begin with[3].

mea_krogan3.jpg

Oh goody. We get to hear this story for the fourth time.

So here we are. Our ancestors have left us this mess. Without the Genophage, the Krogan will again expand, run out of space, and then unleash devastating war on the galaxy. With the Genophage, they’re gradually dying out. In Mass Effect 1 Wrex even explains how his people haven’t changed. Even when facing extinction, the average Krogan would prefer to work as a mercenary and fight for money rather than stay home and focus on building up their population.

The Krogan are indeed a very interesting problem. So why would you bring this problem to a new galaxy?!?

Worse, the Krogan were subjected to “gene therapy” during the 600 year trip[4] that supposedly makes them better able to breed. Post-treatment, their viability is all the way up to 4%. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but 4% of 1,000 eggs is forty Krogan. Per female. Per year.

This is monumentally irresponsible. They’re the Milky Way’s problem, and they ought to remain so. The inhabitants of the Milky Way caused this mess by uplifting a pre-spacefaring race, and then by using a biological weapon on them. Unleashing the Krogan on a new galaxy could cause a brand new wave of Krogan invasions, only this time it will be on a bunch of races that did nothing to deserve it.

Shamus, maybe they brought the Krogan along as muscle?

That’s the only explanation that makes sense, but it still paints the Andromeda Initiative leadership as reckless to a fault. If you’re that worried that you’ll need firepower, then why not put guns on some of your spaceships? Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea that the idealistic leaders decided to make the voyage in defenseless ships. It’s just that this sort of idealism doesn’t really mesh with someone bringing the Krogan as muscle.

The Andromeda Initiative is purposefully bringing the Krogan along, with full knowledge of the problems they cause and the massive death toll inflicted by their last rampage. The Salarians who originally uplifted the Krogan at least had the excuse that they were being killed by the Rachni, and they didn’t realize how the Krogan would behave once the fighting was over. But the leaders of the Andromeda Initiative aren’t being threatened with impending extinction and they have the benefit of historical hindsight. There is no excuse to justify this move. They’re either stupid, irresponsible, evil, or some combination of all three.

But… I LIKE The Krogan!

mea_krogan4.jpg

Here is Drack, who is basically Wrex 2.0.

Of course, I’m sure the real reason that they brought the Krogan is that Wrex was a popular character and players might get sad if they didn’t have their space-turtle buddies along.

The Krogan story is indeed very interesting, but their story is over. It’s been exhaustively discussed within the game. The Genophage was either cured or not in Mass Effect 3. The player has now fully explored this topic. It’s done. Let it go.

Rather than dragging the Krogan to a new galaxy and repeating all those same themes again, the thing to do here is introduce a new slate of aliens with a new story. Give them interesting designs and make a couple of them really cool and likeable, and you’ll have a new “Wrex” or a new “Tali” for fans to love. Plus, you’ll get to explore a bunch of new ideas.

How I’d have done it:

Imagine a galaxy just after an evil empire has fallen. One really militaristic race was subjugating all the others, but after a couple thousand years the others broke free. If you wanted to be cheeky, you could even do a sly Star Wars nod and suggest that the evil empire had a super-weapon that enabled them to retain power, and their empire crumbled when it was destroyed. It was this big heroic adventure where everyone thought they were going to be free and prosper. But instead the power vacuum has put all the former slave races at odds with each other. It’s been a couple of centuries since the off-brand Death Star was blown up, and the former masters of the galaxy are now a sad, beaten race. They’re confined to one planet and their numbers are dwindling.

This presents the player with interesting situations to ponder. The former overlords are going to be very welcoming to any change in fortune, which means they will be the most accommodating to our heroes. They feel like they’ve learned their lesson and are being persecuted for the sins of their ancestors. Meanwhile the other races just see the Milky Way immigrants as new rivals. Maybe some of the former slave races have become aggressively libertine and lean towards piracy and the like, while others fancy themselves as the hot new upcoming empire. Make one race overt and militaristic, make another one sneaky and covert, and another hedonistic and uninterested in matters of state. Throw in a wildcard race that mingles with all the others, stir in some grudges and cultural biases, and you’ve got yourself a stew.

Extra bonus points: Make the former evil empire race vaguely attractive or noble-looking. Don’t make them space-orcs. Save the “ugly big-jaw orc” design for the really smart race.

Resist the urge to make the hedonistic race a bunch of sexy humanoids and instead make them Rocket Raccoon-style furry bipeds[5]. Trust me, their dialog will be much funnier. Sexy green aliens have been done to death, but players will love their new fuzzy crewmate who just wants to get laid and blow shit up, and who has a bit of a complex because their people were slaves for a thousand years.

I suppose I should stop here rather than constructing a whole new setting. Hopefully you get the idea. The Magic of Mass Effect 1 wasn’t that Wrex was a grouchy space-turtle. The magic was that he was a fun character with a cool story to tell. Your goal isn’t to keep recycling the same character and story, it’s to cook up a new character with a newstory.

The Andromeda Initiative was the writer’s big chance to go wild and tell a new story in a new setting, and instead they mangled everything by dragging along a bunch of lore baggage that unintentionally[6] frames our heroes as dangerously irresponsible explorers.

Colonialism vs. Refugees

mea_intro6.jpg

We're not colonial invaders. A proper invasion force would at least have their shit together.

It’s pretty hard to make a game about colonizing a new galaxy without bringing up the topic of colonialism. The game entirely ignores the subject, which feels more than a little strange. It’s like how WATCH_DOGS ignored the surveillance state themes it was juggling, or how Far Cry 5 made violent religious extremism a central element of the setting but then never talked about it. It doesn’t feel like the writer is tiptoeing around a touchy subject, it feels like they’re blundering into a touchy subject without noticing.

At one extreme you’ve got games built around big topics without having anything to say about those topics. At the other end you’ve got games with heavy-handed and patronizing messages like when Dues Ex Mankind Divideddecided to teach us that “Cyber-racism is bad, yo.” On one hand a game is criticized for not saying anything and the other is criticized for having a heavy-handed message. So what is the writer supposed to do?

I’ll admit this is tricky. A lot of writers in this industry have enough trouble just hammering together a coherent plot with interesting characters and integrating that with gameplay. Properly exploring a theme or idea within that story is harder still.

On the other hand, that’s no reason to give up. Like I’ve said in the past, speculative fiction is a great place to tear the labels off of political positions and group identities so you can play around with ideas without the audience falling into ugly political tribalism. We’re here in a new galaxy, so that’s a great chance to explore colonialism as a concept without needing to discuss specific real-world instances of it. We can leave behind the cultural baggage of European colonialism and play “what if?” in our own little universe.

Let’s try to fix two problems at once:
  1. The Andromeda Initiative looks like it’s engaging in brute-force colonialism, which historically isn’t a popular move and generally causes problems down the road.
  2. The Initiative seems to be run by incompetent idiots, and the colonists themselves seem to be a population of cutthroats, thugs, and other assorted troublemakers.
How I’d have done it:

Let’s say that it was supposed to take a lot longer to build the Andromeda ships. Then the Reaper threat emerged and everyone watched Sovereign crashing into the Citadel over and over, the way Americans watched the Twin Towers fall. It shook everyone up.

So the Andromeda Initiative was greatly accelerated. They planned on doing years of screening to select the best of the best, but the new timetable wouldn’t allow for that and they wound up with a lot of less-than-ideal people. They took off as soon as they could, worried that the Reapers would show up any minute and wipe them out.

(Okay, technically if you get all the way to the end of the optional “Ryder Family Secrets” questline you’ll see that a watered-down version of this idea is already in the game. The timetable was indeed accelerated due to the Reaper threat. The problem is that you shouldn’t hide crucial worldbuilding details at the end of lengthy optional collect-a-thon end-game side-content. Also, the dialog doesn’t explicitly make use of Sovereign’s attack on the Citadel, which is a major missed opportunity. If you’re trying to justify sudden, rash behavior then having a radical unexpected disaster is the best way to do it. It’s amazing to me how hard the writer has worked over the years to avoid referencing the events of Mass Effect 1.)

Now we have an excuse for why the people who signed up for the Andromeda Initiative seem to be so eager to revert to lawlessness. The accelerated timetable forced the Initiative to cut corners. We’ve explicitly made it so the Milky Way people can see themselves as refugees, even if the inhabitants of Andromeda see them as colonial invaders. With that fixed, we have some room to explore the topic of colonialism.

mea_fine.jpg

Everything is fine.

How I’d explore the topic of colonialism:

Now we need a series of episodes or missions, where each one allows the player to enact their chosen solution to a problem. (After shooting a bunch of dudes, obviously.) The player is probably aware of the historical problems with colonialism. They’ll most likely want to avoid the mistakes of the past. Now they need to answer the question for themselves, “How do you settle alongside an extant culture? What’s right? What’s moral? How do you balance your own needs against theirs? Would you rather secure a safe place for your people, or minimize the impact your people have on the region?”

As refugees / colonists, the Andromeda Initiative needs a place to settle. They need land. Well, “land” in the sense of planets, moons, space stations, continents, useful places to stick orbital facilities, and so on. For the purposes of this discussion, we’ll just call all of that stuff “land”.

Some examples:
  1. Some local aliens claim they “own” some land. Nobody is living there right now because of [quest problem you have to solve]. Once the player fixes the problem, the aliens want to move in. We made this place livable, but they claim to own it anyway. Do we take it, knowing it might lead to conflict down the road? Do we share it with them, knowing that these guys are assholes and will be bad neighbors? Do we let them have it, even though we did the work and we really need the space?
  2. Two races (or perhaps two factions within an existing race) are fighting. Either one is willing to give us land if we promise to join the fight on their side. Do we help the side with the better land, or do we help the side that looks most likely to win? Or do we stay out of it?
  3. We have scans of what the golden worlds[7] looked like 600 years ago, and we can see they did not contain any advanced civilizations at the time. This information would clear up a longstanding historical feud about when these places were properly settled. Do we share this info, knowing that it might make us some enemies?
  4. We brought the cat genome with us and we can clone a batch of cats whenever we like. A couple of locals are very interested in breeding them as pets. Do we sell them the cats, despite having no idea what impact a population of Felis catus might have on the local ecosystem?
And so on. You can make up examples like this all day[8] if you like. The setup is perfect for generating conflict and uncertainty.

You could make “unforeseen consequences” a running theme of the game. You want to avoid putting the player into endless no-win scenarios, but you also don’t want them to feel like they never have to make hard choices. We REALLY want to avoid the trope where doing the most “paragon” thing always gets you the best outcome. The player ought to be balancing long-term stability against immediate need. If you’re a jackass that does whatever is best for you in the short term, then your reckless interference with the other cultures will destabilize the cluster. If you’re too cautious and apply a strict non-intervention policy then your people won’t have what they need for a thriving society. You’ll metaphorically be living in a tent city on worthless land with no future, which is the kind of place a lot of refugees end up.

The idea is that the players need to make some concessions but also need to do some pushing to secure a future. Their choice will be which concessions are most palatable to them and which fights are worth having.

You could obviously fill a novel with these sorts of hypotheticals, but hopefully you get the idea. This is how I’d make the game about colonialism.

Anyway. That’s enough about the premise of this game. Next week we’ll start in on the plot.

Vorark

Erudite
What a boring read, thought it would be more of a critique instead of "here's my fanfic". Surprise surprise, even an analysis of MEA is shit. :hahano:

Rather than dragging the Krogan to a new galaxy and repeating all those same themes again, the thing to do here is introduce a new slate of aliens with a new story. Give them interesting designs and make a couple of them really cool and likeable, and you’ll have a new “Wrex” or a new “Tali” for fans to love. Plus, you’ll get to explore a bunch of new ideas.

No wonder, the game is just a poor mashup of ME1&2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bumvelcrow

Andromeda Part 4: Habitat 7

mea_splash.jpg

In Mass Effect Andromeda, you can play as either Scott Ryder or Sara Ryder. Unlike Commander Shepard, you’re not hot-swapping the gender of the protagonist. If you play as Sara then you have Scott as your sibling and if you play as Scott then you’ve got Sara for a sibling. Your sibling ends up stuck in the fridge for most of the game and they’re not really relevant until the very end, but the Ryder twins really are two different people[1] and not just a Maleshep vs. Femshep aesthetic choice.

For the purposes of this write-up, I’ll be discussing the plot in terms of having Sara as the main character. As with my series on the Mass Effect trilogy, it’s just easier to pick one sibling rather than juggle neutral pronouns and use slashes to refer to Sara/Scott or Scott/Sara.

It Begins

mea_intro7.jpg

Come on, the loading screens in this game aren't THAT bad.

Sara wakes up in the Cryo Bay at the end of their 600 year voyage. The dialog does a pretty good job of explaining the premise to the player without dropping into heavy-handed exposition mode. I mention this now because while some of the dialog in this game is shamefully bad, there are spots like this where it keeps things reasonably brisk and efficient by the standards of the genre.

The ship has just arrived in the Heleus Cluster, which is part of the Andromeda galaxy[2]. Sara is on the “Pathfinder” team. Her Father, Alec Ryder, is the Pathfinder for the human ark and is in charge of scouting out their prospective home. 600 years ago they picked out several promising planets in the Heleus Cluster[3] that could be suitable for settlement.

Alec Ryder is an N7, which is the same designation as Commander Shepard. I’m sure this is a deliberate move on the part of the writer, to have a Commander Shepard stand-in to hand the franchise over our new hero.

mea_intro8.jpg

Alec Ryder is an excellent leader.

The ship runs into some strange tendrils of… what? I don’t know. The characters call it “dark energy”, but it looks like mold to me. This stuff is called “the scourge”. It’s an energy cloud of space-mold that reaches across the cluster. The important part is that for now, flying through it messes up the ship. Equipment goes haywire. Scott’s cryo pod gets damaged and the team has to keep him under rather than thawing him out for duty.

Scott and Sara are both on the ten-person Pathfinder team. This looks like some pretty flagrant nepotism. Are we supposed to believe that, among the 20,000 people on the human ark, both of Alec’s kids just happen to be in the top 10? Don’t get me wrong, I can totally get behind the notion that Alec was able to wrangle his kids these high-profile positions. He’s one of the founding members of the Andromeda Initiative and was free to hand-pick his team members. My problem is that nobody else in this world seems to notice this. Charges of privilege and nepotism ought to hang over Sara’s head constantly, yet nobody ever brings this up.

The Human ark has arrived to find that their intended homeworld – Habitat 7 – looks wrong. It was supposedly a “golden world” when they left the Milky Way 600 years ago, but since then it seems to have gone off.

The Pathfinder team jumps in a shuttle to go down and scout the planet, which is plagued by constant electricity storms. On the way down some lightning blows the shuttle in half. Sara freefalls to the surface and only survives because of her jump-jet boots.

mea_intro10.jpg

Screw it. Let's head back to the Milky Way.

We meet up with some of the other members of the team, get our navigation and movement tutorials out of the way, and watch some snazzy cutscenes of alien strangeness. The game is admirably slow in its opening. All told, I think it’s over twenty minutes between the time where we hit the “New Game” button and the point where we shoot our first mook. That’s normally a bad thing in a game, but in a story-heavy RPG like this the lore is the content. The story isn’t just here as an excuse to shoot space orcs behind cover. We’re also here for the the lore, the characters, and dialog choices. I wouldn’t tolerate a slow opening from the likes of Bulletstorm, Wolfenstein, or DOOM. But here in the RPG genre a rushed opening can harm your story. I’m glad the team was allowed to adopt a pace that made sense for the story, rather than being forced to adhere to modern shooter conventions.

So we’re 20 minutes into the game, and so far everything feels roughly Mass Effect-ish. We meet characters, learn backstory stuff, and generally acclimate ourselves to this new world. So far so good. But this is where things get stupid, because now it’s time to meet…

The Kett

mea_intro11.jpg

I know it's hard to see the dark face through the bloom and flare, but their faces are SUPER derpy thanks to the tiny wide-spaced eyes.

These enemy designs are just awful. As we’ll learn later, the Kett are gene collectors and operate kind of like an organic version of Star Trek’s Borg. They find new species and “exalt” them by splicing in Kett DNA, which turns them into space-monsters. That’s a cool idea for popcorn sci-fi, but it’s undercut by these terrible designs. These guys are supposedly the pinnacle of engineered evolution, but they look like melted plastic action figures. Their faces have vaguely derpy expressions, and then they have big monster teeth in an attempt to make them look scary. They’re covered in these pointy bones that are supposed to make them look tough, but instead makes them look like someone dropped them in glue and rolled them in cat litter. They don’t look scary, proud, cunning or imposing. The design is incredibly busy without offering any compelling detail. It’s as if someone took the ultra-generic design for the Collectors in Mass Effect 2 and tried to somehow make them less interesting.

So we crossed the vastness of dark space to find ourselves in a galaxy millions of light-years away, 600 years in the future, and we encounter upright bipeds with human facial arrangements, human limb configuration, and who stand at about human height. They talk with their mouths and they use firearms that look like lumpier versions of the stuff we brought with us. (They even use compatible ammunition!!!!) The aliens the writer ditched back in the Milky Way (Elcor and Volus) are more “alien” than the inhabitants of Andromeda! Compare these guys to the Krogan, Hanar, or Geth. All of those races look far less human than the Kett.

This is where I’d normally put “How I’d have done it”, but I’d like to put that off until later in the story. Party because it will be easier to explain once we know more about these guys, but also because there are a lot of other things going wrong in this section and I don’t want to get sidetracked right now. So let’s just shoot these guys and move on.

I do like that the Andromeda Initiative has policy for first contact situations, and that the game will allow you to attempt a peaceful encounter. It doesn’t work out of course, but I’m glad we can try for the purposes of roleplaying.

The Weather Tower

mea_intro12.jpg

I've never been to this galaxy, but I'm sure there's a button in that tower to deactivate this apocalypse.

The team manages to regroup and fix their remaining shuttle, but the storm is too violent for them to risk taking off. In the distance the team can see this huge alien tower. It’s not Kett in design. (The Kett are actually studying it, which is why they’re here.) Alec looks at the tower, and he figures it must be controlling the storm. He assumes that if we can take the tower we’ll be able to find a control panel and shut down the machine, which will end the electrical storms.

And he’s right on all counts!

The story just introduced us to the central obstacle: The golden worlds are a bust and their climates are a mess. And ten minutes later the writer turns around and offers a magical solution to the problem in the form of alien technology that’s apparently effortless to figure out and control. The rest of the game will be spent fighting over these alien climate towers.

This is wrong in two ways. One, this is just too convenient. We were barely introduced to the central conflict before we were presented with a magical solution we don’t understand and did nothing to earn. The other problem is that this just kills all sense of mystery.

The whole thing reminds me of the Crucible from Mass Effect 3. The writer hands us an insurmountable problem, and then they give us a magical technology that will solve the problem for us. You don’t get to unravel mysteries and find answers that lead to a solution at the end, you get the solution at the beginning and then you just have to shoot all the dudes standing between you and the button to activate the magic solution-machine.

How I’d have done it:

To REALLY fix this you’d have to back up and change the entire premise of this story, and that’s a really big fix. And “write a different videogame” isn’t really useful advice. But even constraining myself to the scenario at hand, I think there’s a lot we can do to improve it.

The most obvious thing we can do is take away the copy of the script that Alec Ryder seems to be carrying around. I know the writers are really enamored of their surrogate Commander Shepard and they don’t want to make him fallible, but presenting him as Mr. Perfect is hurting this story in multiple ways. The first thing we need to do is have him misunderstand this alien tech.

We present the situation a little differently: The Humans can’t leave while the storm is raging. They (wrongly) assume that the storm will blow over on its own. The problem is that they’re afraid that the Kett will amass and wipe them out if they sit still that long, and they can’t hope to evade the Kett while carrying the wounded. When Alec sees the big alien tower pumping out energy, he assumes it’s some sort of alien super-weapon. He figures he can use it to wipe out the Kett in the area, and then they can wait for the storm to blow over. Even if they can’t use the superweapon, the assault ought to draw the Kett away from the wounded.

Then once we clear the tower Alec discovers he was wrong. It’s not an Alien weapon, it’s a device for climate regulation.

This doesn’t really fix this section of the game, but it does fix the silly notion of Alec looking at an alien outpost from a mile away and instantly intuiting what it does and how it works. It reinforces the notion that our heroes are the aliens here.

At the start of this chapter we were treated to fantastical imagery: Floating rocks, a vortex of lightning, twisting cliff faces, and wild plant life. The artist is trying to create a sense of wonder and alienation. It’s an admirable effort, but that sense of marvel and trepidation is completely undercut by having our heroes instantly understand the world around them. I realize having them accidentally fix the climate is still a huge contrivance, but it least it would support the intended mood.

Once final nitpick is that we never come back here. We fix the electrical storms and then just leave. Maybe that’s due to the toxic atmosphere, but considering what a terrible dump the rest of the planets are it seems odd this one doesn’t at least warrant a mention. It’s the most visually interesting of all the planets, and when I began driving across the second lifeless orange desert planet on our journey I started to really miss this place .

Deleted member 7219

Kind of an easy target, this. I don't think anyone considers Mass Effect: Andromeda's story to be of value. I think even that game's diehard fans like it because of the social justice elements in the companions rather than the story itself.

His Mass Effect takedown was more important because there were a lot of people praising those games - even Mass Effect 3, up to the ending.

I also liked his Wolfenstein review. I liked TNO but I'm glad I didn't bother with the sequel.

Falksi

Arcane
His Mass Effect takedown was more important because there were a lot of people praising those games - even Mass Effect 3, up to the ending.

The massive hoo-ha about the ending was just nuts and always baffled me. I could barely make it half-way through the game without wanting to set fire to myself. How so many decided the ending was the issue is unreal.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The fundamental problem was that the Bioware developers are fucking retards who had no idea what to do with the rough diamond they created with ME 1.
Mass Effect 1 had a lot of potential. If only there were mods that made the economy better and significantly reduced the amount of trash loot, that alone would have made the game a lot more enjoyable. Mass Effect 2 was a downgrade in every possible way and I hate how well it was received and how it was widely considered a great improvement over ME1.

It wasn't. It had no exploration, side quests were much worse, it had no loot, no inventory...Not to mention that ME2's wild success shaped future ARPGs for the worse. I do not even consider ME2 an RPG, to be honest. It was not in the same genre as ME1.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bumvelcrow

Andromeda Part 5: The Pathfinder

mea_splash.jpg

Alec Ryder walks up to the alien machine and holds up his hand. A huge starmap(?) appears, along with an alien symbol. The electrical storm stops, the skies clear, and everything is fine.

Except!

A blast of energy knocks Alec and Sara off the platform. Sara falls and busts open the faceplate of her helmet.

What? Huh? Wait, What?

mea_intro13.jpg

Obviously having an AI computer embedded in your skull means you can project orange particle effects that control alien technology. It's so obvious that I wouldn't expect a writer to waste time explaining how it works or what it can do.

This entire section is a disaster of confusion, contrivance, and contradiction. This is the big moment when the player becomes the Pathfinder, and none of it works. This is the point in the story where Mass Effect Andromeda slides into the bad habit of self-defeating plot-points in the style of Mass Effect 2 and incoherent hand-waves in the style of Mass Effect 3.

At the start of the mission, Sara fell out of the destroyed shuttle. She landed hard and cracked her faceplate. Her suit began leaking and she started to suffocate in the poisonous atmosphere. Then she took out a little gizmo and repaired the faceplate. Boom. Fixed. All good.

So now she breaks her faceplate again. The most natural thing for the audience to assume is that the previous helmet-smashing incident was a setup for this one. It’s completely reasonable for the audience to expect that – when presented with the same problem – the protagonist will employ the same solution.

mea_intro14.jpg

I guess after 600 years the helmet's warranty period is probably over.

But Shamus! Last time her helmet was just cracked, and this time it’s totally shattered.

The audience doesn’t know how this magical repair technology works or what the limits are. The viewer might not even remember how big the original crack was. We’re never told that you can only repair X square centimeters of helmet. Deprived of this information, the most natural thing to assume is that this scene is a payoff to the earlier one. But then Sara doesn’t even try to enact repairs. She just starts choking and we keep waiting for the payoff that never comes.

I want to stress that I’m not trying to play a game of “gotcha!” with the writer by pointing out plot holes. This isn’t about what the magical technology of Andromeda can or can’t do, this is about making things clear for the audience so that the drama works. When Sara’s helmet is smashed, the audience should feel a moment of panic. They should be overcome with just how inevitable Sara’s death seems and how she has no means of escaping this situation. Instead the audience is just expecting a payoff to the earlier helmet-breaking incident. Instead of suspense at our hero’s predicament, they’re confused at why Ryder isn’t attempting to enact repairs. It doesn’t matter if you stuff excuses in the codex later, because the drama is happening right now.

What was the earlier scene for? If it’s not a setup for this moment, then why is it in the game at all[1]? The only thing it accomplishes is to create confusion at this incredibly important turning point in the story.

While we’re still pondering that puzzle, Alec Ryder lands nearby. He calls for a rescue shuttle, but that won’t arrive for “three or four” minutes. So he takes off his helmet and puts it on Sara. Then he gives up and dies.

It should be totally possible for two people to share a single oxygen source for four minutes. Particularly when they’re both healthy, fit, and sitting still. It’s not even a big deal. Sure, we could come up with some ways to justify this, but you really don’t want the viewer to have to stop and justify a dramatic scene as it plays out. This is why you set things up ahead of time. If the story hits a moment of crisis and the audience is thinking, “No problem. The hero has an easy solution” then the storyteller is failing at their job, even if you can come up for an excuse later for why things happened this way.

Oh no! Sara’s helmet is broken. Ah, but she can just use the repair gizmo. But she isn’t for some reason. Did she use up all her repair juice? Is there a size limit? Did I miss something?

I guess she’s dying? Ah, but Alex Ryder has landed. I guess they can share the helmet for a couple of minutes. No? He’s not going to take it back?

Hm. Maybe Sara is unconscious and he needs to prevent her from breathing the bad air. No, she still seems to be moving. Is she lucid? Will her head clear after a few breaths of oxygen?

Huh. I guess Alex died then? Okay. Whatever.

These are not the thoughts of someone experiencing DRAMA. This scene is a failure. Not because “Why didn’t Sara repair her helmet?” is a plot hole, but because the question itself creates confusion that interferes with this supremely important dramatic turn.

I get that placing his helmet on Sara’s head symbolically passes leadership to her, but symbolism is supposed to work in addition to clarity and coherency in terms of basic storytelling.

Back From the Dead

mea_intro18.jpg

Oh good. The cells in my brain are coming back to life. No rush. I'm not going to need them until this cutscene is over.

Next we cut to a scene of cells dying and then being brought back to life. It looks a lot like the resurrection of Commander Shepard from Mass Effect 2, which is a shame since I hated the entire concept. Once Sara wakes up we learn that she was dead for “22 seconds”, so this is yet another story that opens with a back-from-the-dead scenario. I don’t know if this is the case of a lone writer that wants to re-use the same terrible idea, or a new writer who was paying homage to the earlier work.

More to the point, having the hero come back from the dead isn’t something the storyteller has earned at this point. That’s a huge event and ought to be packed with symbolism, a sense of awe, or some sort of post-death pathos. It should either be a setup for a later scene or a payoff for an earlier one. Death is a heady topic and not something you should be trivializing during the introduction, particularly when Ryder’s death isn’t even symbolically or thematically linked to the rest of the story.

During the death scene we see the doctor saying they should take Sara to SAM node. SAM is the AI that’s wired into the brains of everyone on the Pathfinder team. I’m not sure why the doctor wants to take Sara into the computer core rather than the infirmary.

Then the doctor asks, “SAM, what’s the reading?”

“Ryder’s heart is overloading. I suggest a hardwire connection,” SAM says.

Laying aside questions on what a heart “overload” might mean in this context, doesn’t Sara already have the SAM gear in her head? Isn’t it already “hardwired” into her? What is SAM proposing?

Then when Sara is awake again the doctor explains, “SAM is now a part of you, in a way we don’t entirely understand.”

What? Nobody understands it? Does SAM understand it? Didn’t you perform the procedure, doc? How can you not know what you did? Did you perform surgery? If so, why are we still in the computer room and not, you know, in some sort of medical facilities?

Is this story supposed to be details-first or drama-first? The writer is failing at both. The science in this story is all vague magic and the drama is incoherent. This is why people found this new galaxy so boring. There’s nothing to stimulate our intellect and there’s nothing to tug at our emotions. It’s just a bunch of noise.

SAM I Am

mea_intro15.jpg

Don't even get me started on the facial expressions in this scene.

The idea here is that SAM is able to connect to your brain. This means he can manipulate your body directly. This lets him increase your physical performance, which explains what made Alec Ryder such an unstoppable badass. SAM could modulate his physical processes to optimize various tasks. The trick is that SAM is a single entity and can only interface with one person like this.

The story doesn’t doesn’t explain how this works, but I sort of imagined SAM regulated stuff like heart rate, adrenaline, breathing, and stress hormones to optimize you for the task at hand. Maybe this would let you sprint a hundred meters but then instantly stop and enter a more relaxed state so you can shoot straight or concentrate on technical tasks. Stuff like that. I’m fine with this as an explanation for the player’s empowerment.

The problem is that something just happened that transformed our protagonist, and the story is refusing to say what it was. Did the doctor do something? Why did Ryder need to be in the computer core? They said “hardware connection”, but we never see her connected to anything. Did they somehow plug her into SAM? How did hooking her up to SAM save her life from breathing bad air? Sara was back on the ship by that point and was breathing good air, so what was killing her?

I want to stress that I’m not asking you to jump down to the comments and explain the ad hoc fanon you used to get through this scene, I’m saying that explaining the world and its rules is the writer’s job and they’re not doing it.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 is an extremely drama-first story. In the movie, they have these little gizmos that you can stick on your body and they create a space suit / force field around you. The story doesn’t explain how their silly science works, who makes them, how much they cost, how the interface works, or where the power comes from, because that would be wrong for this sort of fiction. However, it does explain a few basic rules. You need a gizmo to make a spacesuit, and there are a limited number of them to go around. When we get to the big moment at the end and there’s not enough space suit gizmos to go around, we understand why someone doesn’t have a space suit.

mea_fine.jpg

Everything is fine.

The Mass Effect Andromeda writer could have handled things this way. The superpowers that SAM bestows could have been based on a physical object that gets handed off[2] and then we would understand the rules that govern who has super-powers and who doesn’t.

Isn’t SAM connected to Sara via wireless? So what does “a hardline connection” entail? Is this something SAM did, the doctor did, or the doctor did at SAM’s direction? Later in the story SAM will express regret at connecting to “too many” of Sara’s systems, but here at the beginning of the story the situation is presented as if it’s something doctor was forced to do.

I’m totally fine with the idea that Sara Ryder has a computer in her head that makes her a badass, and if she’s cut off from the computer she’ll die. My problem is that the writer never bothered to explain how any of these things worked. It’s a rapid-fire salvo of jarring declarations that don’t make sense in the moment and also fail to establish the rules for this new status quo. Imagine if Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 didn’t have the gizmos and space suits just appeared whenever they were needed. Then at the end when someone is going to die for lack of a space suit, we wouldn’t understand why.

Again, the point here isn’t plot holes. It’s not that the story is contradicting itself, it’s that it never made the rules clear in the first place. Worse, they actually recorded lines of dialog that talked about the problem. That same dialog could easily have also set up the rules so we understand why things happen. The writer paid all the costs of having exposition without ever explaining anything.

Once again: No drama. No details. Just noise.

I’m Afraid You’ve Been Diagnosed With… a Promotion

mea_intro16.jpg

To save your life we had to perform an emergency protagonist transplant. You're now the main character. Also, there's a ten dollar co-pay. Now get off the bed. Judging by how Cora is standing, I need to fix whatever went wrong with her spine.

When Sara wakes up, we discover she’s been made the pathfinder. Apparently being directly connected to SAM automatically makes you the pathfinder for your species. Sara has no training as a pathfinder and is unqualified for the job. Meanwhile teammate Cora was Alec’s second and spent years training for the position. And yet this medical emergency somehow resulted in an irrevocable promotion of an unqualified person to this incredibly important job? Elsewhere in the story we can see it’s possible to pass the pathfinder job from one person to the next without needing to kill the original pathfinder, so why is this promotion set in stone?

Again, I’d totally be willing to buy this premise. The problem is that the writer is refusing to sell it to me.

I get that SAM is what makes Sara special. Just like Shepard had his connection to the Prothean beacons, Sara has her connection to SAM. It’s what makes the hero uniquely qualified to undertake the quest. I approve of this decision, and I appreciate the fact that we’re not trying to do the “hero, a bloody icon” thing again. But this bestowing of power is completely muddled in this scene and so it doesn’t feel natural and we don’t know the rules. This becomes important later because losing SAM is a big part of the crisis point in act three, and since the writer never bothered to set up the rules that moment will come off as arbitrary.

It’s not Over Yet

mea_intro17.jpg

Oh, I'm UP FOR IT? What didn't you say so? No further questions.

So now the writer is in the difficult position where the player needs to be introduced to this new status quo, while the player character needs to process the death of her father. In a story sense we need to give Sara time to grieve the death of her father so it doesn’t feel like she’s shrugging it off, but the player needs some sort of explanation for why all this happened. The writer manages to whiff on both of these. During the short non-branching conversation you can practically hear the voice of the author saying, “Don’t think about it too hard. Just go with it so we can get back to the shooting.”

Teammate Liam even says, “What’s the matter? I think you’re up for it!”

Which, okay. Maybe Sara is indeed “up” for doing the job, but the question isn’t whether or not she CAN do it, but WHY it has to be her. Why can’t we give the job to the better-trained Cora? I get that SAM makes Sara a badass, but you don’t need to be a combat badass to make high-level strategic decisions about exploring and colonizing new worlds. Wouldn’t it make more sense to give Cora the job of pathfinder and she can take Sara along as muscle?

From the broken helmet, to Alec’s apparent apathy regarding his own life, to the confusing medical conversation, to the poorly-justified basis of imposing the title of Pathfinder on you, this entire scene is a mess. Before you can process the previous confusion, the storyteller is throwing more at you. This is the moment at the start of the story where the hero steps up. Things should click into place here.

mea_intro22.jpg

Sara's butt is floating above the bed she's sitting on (I don't know why there's a bed in the computer core) and her arms are floating above her legs. I get that fixing animations takes time, but can't we at least move the camera to hide these problems?

We definitely don’t want the player to be either confused or bored during this big moment, which is what you get when an author does too much hand-waving.

Yes, there are excuses to support this at the end of the “Ryder Family Secrets” questline near the end of the game. That explains why Alec made this decision[3] but it doesn’t explain why everyone around you is so eager to go along with it.

How I’d have done it:

If we want to sell this scene then we need to do it through characters, and right now Alec Ryder is to much of a superhero for this to work. So let’s back all the way up to the start of the game and give him some frailty. Instead of having him not care about the fate of Scott Ryder, we make it so that he’s greatly shaken by the news that his son is in danger.

As it stands now, at the start of the game the doctor says, “Scott will be fine. We’ve put him into a healing coma for now.” (Gosh, thanks so much for killing the tension there, doc. I wouldn’t want to run the risk of experiencing anything dangerous like SUSPENSE.)

Instead, let’s do the opposite and have her say, “Scott’s cryopod malfunctioned and tried to revive him before he was brought up to temperature. We don’t know what the damage is yet. We managed to get him into a coma and we’re bringing his temperature up very gradually.”

Alec: (Direct, intense.) Is he going to make it?

Doctor: (Nervous, uncomfortable.) We’re doing everything we can.

He tells the doctor to let him know as soon as there’s news. We can’t really expect the player to care a great deal about the refrigerated sibling they haven’t even met, but having Alec worry over him gives us a connection to both of them. We tend to more easily care about characters who care about each other.

After the mission goes sideways and communications are finally restored on Habitat 7, Alec uses the opportunity to ask about Scott right away rather than worrying about the mission. The idea here (which we can reveal in dialog throughout the first mission) is that Alec is a fearless badass, but his one weakness is that he’s afraid for his children. He trusts in his badassery, so he assigns his kids to his Pathfinder team so he can protect them directly. This also explains his nepotism as an extension of his protective nature rather than a desire to use his connections to land nice jobs for his kids, which paints him in a more favorable light.

Then when Alec takes off his helmet and gives it to Sara we can have him say, “I can’t lose both of my children in one day. I can’t.” Now we understand he’s not making a rational decision, but an emotional one. He’s not thinking about the tens of thousands of colonists that he’s responsible for, he’s thinking about his kid and how much he can’t bear to watch her die.

As for fixing the helmet-smashing scene? That’s easy. Just excise the earlier scene. Previous dialog had already established the the atmosphere wasn’t breathable. The free-fall out of the shuttle already gave us a moment of action and excitement, so we’re not really hurting for more. The helmet-cracking sequence literally serves no purpose in the story except to create confusion.

The problems with SAM node are less severe. It really bugged me because I’m a details-first kind of sci-fi fan, but I’m willing to bet a majority of the audience was willing to “go along with it”. And if we fixed the earlier parts of the scene, doing that would be a lot easier.

In any case, all we need to do to fix the SAM problem is just allow the player to ask probing questions after they wake up. Anticipate the questions an engaged, curious player might have with this setup, and then have answers to them. Stuff like:

Sara: I don’t understand. Why am I linked to SAM now?

Doctor: We had to do it to save your life. Some of the toxins you breathed did damage to your nervous system. Without Sam, you wouldn’t be able to breathe on your own.

Yes, this is still a bit janky, since SAM interfaces with your nervous system. If you can’t control your lungs, then SAM shouldn’t be able to either. But you get the idea. I’m not going to write five pages of lore explaining how my hypothetical SAM operates. The point is, you can totally make this idea work if you just give the player the opportunity to explore it. You don’t even need to answer every question I posed in this article. If you can just anticipate and answer a few of the big ones, then you’ll gain the trust of the audience and they’ll probably let the other questions slide.

In any case, we’re almost done with Habitat 7. We just need to be introduced to our main villain and then we’re off to meet the rest of the Andromeda Initiative.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bumvelcrow

Andromeda Part 6: What’s Wrong With Your FACE?

mea_splash.jpg

The player character has been made the Pathfinder. They’ve also maybe been given superpowers, although in terms of gameplay you’re exactly as powerful as before[1]. At this point in the game we cut to see some sort of bad guy[2] exploring the tower that Alec Ryder activated.

Cue Ominous Music

mea_intro20.jpg

I don't care how much you crank up that blue color filter, nothing can hide how ridiculous this guy looks.

This is our big introduction to the antagonist. He’s a big topic and he’ll get an entry of his own later in this series. For now I’ll just say that his presence here is not building our confidence in the story.

Even ignoring the story problems, everything about this scene is horrendous. The MAXIMUM BLUE filter is ridiculous overkill. The foreground is a group of Kett and the background is a an ancient Remnant construction, so they should be in sharp contrast for both thematic and artistic reasons. Instead everything is blue, robbing us of contrast and making the image muddled. This is made worse by the atrociously busy and over-designed armor.

The big bad is supposed to be an imposing space-lord of doom but he’s shorter than his mooks. His armor makes him look dumpy around the middle. That pull tab on his head looks comical. His face shape is exactly the opposite of what this character concept calls for. He should have a huge jaw, cunning eyes, and a large mouth, because that’s how you make your villain look imposing. Instead his looks like a pouty child, but also a bit like a sheep. Since this scene is cartoon action schlock, there’s no excuse for not using the tools of action schlock to sell your villain.

It’s amazing how hard the storyteller worked to do the wrongest thing possible. This scene is two and a half minutes with no dialog. If you’re going to sell your villain entirely on the visuals, then you really can’t afford to have an inept visual presentation.

So that’s the introduction done. The player is now the Pathfinder, they’re empowered by the AI buddy in their noggin, they know there’s a bad guy out there somewhere, and they need to find someplace for human beings to live.

The Nexus

mea_nexus3.jpg

Good news: They've gotten rid of those annoying loading-screen elevators from the earlier games. Bad news: Loading screen shuttle rides.

After the disaster on Habitat 7, the Human ark joins up with the Nexus. Like I said earlier in the series, the Nexus is the flagship / port / capital city of the Andromeda Initiative. Supposedly all the arks should meet here.

I really like this scene during the shuttle ride. Your squad has just been through the wringer. Your planned homeworld is a dead rock with a poisonous atmosphere, your Pathfinder died, another member of the pathfinder team was KIA, and another one is stuck in cryo storage. Everyone is looking forward to reconnecting with the Nexus under the assumption that the Human ark just had a run of bad luck and everyone else is doing fine. “Real food and a shower are just ahead,” Cora says hopefully.

But then you arrive to discover the Nexus is in much worse condition, to the point where they turn around and ask youfor help.

The Nexus ran into the scourge, got damaged, and most of the main leadership was killed. The remaining people woke up lost and confused. They tried to settle one of the planned worlds, but the colony was a bust due to Kett attacks. Some people on the station wanted to wake up their families, but that wasn’t possible because there weren’t enough resources to go around. Eventually there were riots. The Krogan were convinced to subdue the rioters. But the animosity kept brewing, and so a bunch of people left the Nexus. Others were kicked out. They stole a bunch of equipment and left to seek their own fortunes.

Now the Nexus is cold, dark, and empty. They’re low on food, low on power, and none of the remaining leaders have a plan. Instead they mooch power from you and demand to know where you’ve been and what you’ve managed to accomplish.

What’s Wrong With Your FAAACE?

mea_nexus2.jpg

It's hard to show off awkward animations in a screenshot, but trust me. It's awkward, and it was worse at launch.

This conversation is one of the moments in the game that became a source of jokes and memes. This is where Ryder meets with the Nexus leadership. It’s a crucial conversation that takes place very early in the game, so you’d probably assume this is where you’d see the most polished content. But at launch this scene was so janky it turned this dramatic moment into a comedic farce.

There were odd pauses in the conversation. The faces and bodies weren’t properly animated. Instead, everyone stood still and moved their lips while the rest of their face remained motionless. Ryder delivered the news that her father was dead and then the camera lingered on her motionless smiling face, making her seem like a lunatic. The irises of Addison’s eyes were too small, which made it look like she had this wild-eyed Charles Manson look on her face. Director Tann – the Salarian guy – had some strange animations that were probably intended to make it look like he was searching the room, but instead made it look like he was an actor who forgot his lines and was waiting for his cue. It was a spectacular showcase for all the various ways a game designer could find themselves in the uncanny valley. (And on top of it all, the dialog is really bad. We’ll talk about the dialog in the next entry.) It was embarrassing, frustrating, hilarious, and sad. So much time and money was spent making this scene and these characters, and yet all of that hard work looked terrible because this introduction was so strange and off-putting.

The game has since been patched, and a lot of this is fixed. (For the record, I played this game long after release so all of my screenshots are from the “fixed” version.) The camera cuts make more sense, the awkward pauses are much shorter, Addison’s eyes are less psychotic, and Ryder adopts an appropriate facial expression when delivering the news about her father. It’s still not a great scene. It still feels sort of stiff and awkward and oddly paced, but at least it’s no longer a joke.

So how did this happen?

The best explanation I’ve found comes from New Frame Plus[3], which explains how cutscenes like this are made and what could go wrong to make it look so bad. It’s really educational and I highly recommend watching the whole thing, but if you’re not in a position to do that, then here is the short version:

A game like Uncharted or Last of Us can afford to motion-cap all their cutscenes because they have short, liner stories. But an RPG like Andromeda has dozens of hours of branching dialog that would make this infeasible. So studios have to find some way to automate the process.

These games have multiple libraries of animations that can be layered together. For one line of dialog Shepard might stand in pose idle_8 while his head performs angry_nod_12 and his eyes are locked on npc_joe_colonist. Then the next line of dialog has him perform neutral_stance_3 with head_scratch_7 and his eyes looking downward. And so on. While all of this is going on, the game is moving the mouth around to make the lip sync work.

They have tools that can automatically set up this sort of thing. You can feed it some dialog and audio files and it will set up some basic camera cuts, body poses, and lip sync. None of it will be GOOD, but it will have the basic elements of a conversation. From here, a cutscene animator can go through and tweak the scene by hand to make it look less robotic.

The main theory offered by the Extra Frames video is that the game shipped with these default auto-generated scenes, rather than having an artist work on it. There’s no way to prove this, of course, but it would explain why the game looked the way it did.

The other contributing factor was probably the switch from Unreal Engine to the Frostbite engine. This would have forced BioWare to throw away their established library of animation stances, facial expressions, character models, lip movements, and cutscene tools. On top of learning to work with an all-new toolset, the team would have needed to re-create all of that content from scratch. Perhaps that put too much pressure on the art pipeline, and so they couldn’t finish hand-crafting the cutscenes in time.

Then again, I’m not sure I buy the notion that they had to throw everything away. There are a few animations that look like they were recycled from earlier games[4] and so I’m not sure what to think. In any case, it’s really strange how some of the most unpolished scenes appeared in the most critical parts of the story.

Tonal Disjoint

mea_nexus4.jpg

Why is Director Tann (center) holding an invisible box?

None of this is helped by the lack of coherent direction. Often the vocal performance doesn’t match up with how the dialog was written. When you see one of these moments it’s easy to blame the actors or writers because you can tell something is wrong with the story and they’re usually our first suspects, but the blame for this should fall squarely on the shoulders of the director.

An example of bad direction is a moment where Character A has a line questioning the Pathfinder’s abilities. It’s delivered in a reasonable tone of voice. But then Character B says something like, “That’s no way to talk to the Pathfinder!” It’s clear the first line was supposed to be confrontational, but the actor wasn’t given proper guidance about how their line should be delivered.

Elsewhere you’ll have someone deliver their lines in an aggressive and combative style, and yet your responses are all friendly and businesslike. The result is that it feels like your character doesn’t notice. The two performances don’t match up, but from the standpoint of the audience it’s hard to put your finger on the problem. Is this other character crazy? Is my character crazy? What’s wrong with this scene?

The problems go deeper than just the animation system. Yes, the facial animation and general pacing of the of the conversation is bad. But even if these were more polished you’d still have the problem where the facial expression doesn’t match the line delivery. And even if you fixed that, the line deliveries don’t match each other. And even if you fixed that, a lot of the dialog is just sophomoric and full of cringe. At some point this looks less like a budget problem and more like a leadership problem.

If At First You Don’t Succeed, Quit.

mea_fine.jpg

Everything is fine.

The sad thing is that EA has since closed this studio. They paid the brutal up-front cost of switching engines and spinning up a new team, but once the cost was incurred they decided to close the place. If this team got to make another Mass Effect game, it likely would have been of much higher quality and gotten done a lot faster.

Then again, I doubt the writing and design work would have improved, so it’s not really a great tragedy. I suppose EA saved me from playing another frustrating and disappointing Mass Effect title.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I decided to demo this game for a bit and its pretty retarded. Got to the nexus and cannot bother to go on. Somehow its worse than ME3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom