Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Trilogy

Monk

Arcane

JDR13

Arcane
First post in nearly 2 years. I guess that shows how important this series is around here. :)

Well the first game is a rough gem while the sequels are polished turds so...

I replayed the first few hours of ME1 after finishing Andromeda, and I don't think it aged well.

The entire series is mainstream decline. I somehow managed to finish them, but I have zero desire to revisit.

Sykar

Arcane
First post in nearly 2 years. I guess that shows how important this series is around here. :)

Well the first game is a rough gem while the sequels are polished turds so...

I replayed the first few hours of ME1 after finishing Andromeda, and I don't think it aged well.

The entire series is mainstream decline. I somehow managed to finish them, but I have zero desire to revisit.

I finished the first only and liked it overall despite the glaring issues. I tried the second and uninstalled halfway through and never touched the third.

Codex Year of the Donut
I finished the first only and liked it overall despite the glaring issues. I tried the second and uninstalled halfway through and never touched the third.
1>3>2
3 walks back a lot of crap 2 added and has better combat and much better enemy AI. If you can deal with a weak ending then it's all around superior to 2.
Andromeda is fun if you want mindless scifi shooter with RPG elements

Also, most of the DLC in 2 that doesn't involve the dumb hovercraft is pretty good

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
1>3>2
3 walks back a lot of crap 2 added and has better combat and much better enemy AI. If you can deal with a weak ending then it's all around superior to 2.

The opening of ME2 is one of the most retarded shit you'll see in sci-fi, fuckin shepard falls from space and somehow the whole fckn body is intact. And the companion missions and general writing in ME2 has a lot of emotional pandering retardness in it. ME3 is a whole lot of improvements compared to how fuckin nonsensical ME2 is.

ME1 is just lost potential now, such sadness.

barghwata

Savant
The opening of ME2 is one of the most retarded shit you'll see in sci-fi, fuckin shepard falls from space and somehow the whole fckn body is intact.

Meh, mass effect was always retarded and weak when it comes to science, i mean yea it has great lore and interesting worldbuilding (most of which was explored in ME2 not 1) but as a Sci-fi cinematic experience, it's waaay more fiction then science honestly, it's more like action adventure set in space then actual sci-fi.

Codex Year of the Donut
The opening of ME2 is one of the most retarded shit you'll see in sci-fi, fuckin shepard falls from space and somehow the whole fckn body is intact.

Meh, mass effect was always retarded and weak when it comes to science, i mean yea it has great lore and interesting worldbuilding (most of which was explored in ME2 not 1) but as a Sci-fi cinematic experience, it's waaay more fiction then science honestly, it's more like action adventure set in space then actual sci-fi.
delet this

barghwata

Savant

delet this

Help! Help! i am being censored.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The opening of ME2 is one of the most retarded shit you'll see in sci-fi

It's so bad that I honestly didn't get what the fuck was going on. If you're going to do something retarded, at least make it possible for the player to follow along. I was just bewildered. By the time I first got forced to suck Martin Sheen's dick that's when Mass Effect pretty much died for me.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What nonsense is this? ME3 is not any sort of improvement over ME2. The entire plot of ME3 is completely retarded, just like the entire plot of ME2 is. It's not just the nonsensical and utterly ridiculous ending, but everything leading up to it. People didn't see that because they had been conditioned by the braindead plot of ME2.

And yes, ME is space fantasy just like Star Wars.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
ME3 is a significant regression from ME2 writing-wise. No idea why anyone would think they're even comparable. The dialogue in ME2 is decent, ME3's dialogue is the same "macho" action crap you'd find in a Michael Bay movie. ME3 was specifically designed to try and appeal to the brainless dudebro gamers.

Playing ME3 killed a few of my brain cells, nothing in ME2 was bad enough to do that.

Farewell young Prince into the night

ME2 at least had the suicide ending, which was a good excuse to skip ME3.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Imagine if BioWare had insisted on ME2 being the last in the series. They may have lost some sales, but history would have judged them to have much larger balls; plus ME2 would probably be seen as a far better thing than its status as a mere jumping off point for the ME3 story cul-de-sac.

Silly Germans

Its a shame that everything else went downhill while the shooter gameplay kept improving. It seems
that Bioware is incapable of combining good action gameplay with decent writing and rpg mechanics.

It was also disappointing that they shifted the story focus from sci-fi agent/detective work to Earth centered Patriotism and Nationalism,
which could have been done in a run of the mill modern day war setting. Exploration and interactions with the different species could
easily serve as basis for great stories but for whatever reasons they fail to use its potential.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
It seems like half the people in this thread don't care about lore and coherent writing as long as they get their mah! emotions moments. ME2 is a travesty. I do agree ME3 is decline but most definitely not from ME2 which touched the bottom.

JDR13

Arcane

Interesting worldbuilding? I must have missed that part.

Codex Year of the Donut
If a bad ending is enough to ruin a game then most RPGs are trash. ME1 and ME2 didn't have to deal with it because neither of them really ended, they just set themselves up for a continuation which is always easier to do than putting a finale on something.
The main issue of ME3 is they sort of wrote themselves into a corner pertaining to spinoffs or sequels. I'd have liked to have seen more games placed in the universe that were actually a part of the story(that is, not Andromeda) but not focused on Shepard.

A minor thing from ME3 that I really liked was the conversations you could overhear. They'd even progress as you advanced through the game and a bunch of them led to side missions if you paid attention.
Some were pretty funny

If you pay attention to the Asari soldier with PTSD you learn she
was indoctrinated and responsible for killing Joker's family. You have to connect the dots yourself though.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Interesting worldbuilding? I must have missed that part.
It's probably in the codex somewhere, i.e. Not actually in the game.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
A minor thing from ME3 that I really liked was the conversations you could overhear. They'd even progress as you advanced through the game and a bunch of them led to side missions if you paid attention.
Are you trolling? This thing was panned by everyone for being creepy as fuck and lazy.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Are you trolling? This thing was panned by everyone for being creepy as fuck and lazy.

Why? It gave Citadel some thin illusion of being an actual, living place. And it wasn't all the time about side missions. Each time when I visit the Presidium floor I stop by and eavesdrop on the woman speaking with her asaari lover about whether she should tell her husband. A true melodrama!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It was also already in ME1 wasn't it? Minor NPCs spouting stuff related to your gameplay.

If a bad ending is enough to ruin a game then
I agree that those who say that the only problem with ME3 is the ending, are clueless morons.

ME3 has massive problems throughout the game, starting with the premise already. The ending is just another layer of shit on top of an entire cake of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom