Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Orion Remake ? :O

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I guess I'll wait a bit. The graphics look a bit bland and RT doesn'T scream like buy me.

I liked the VO trailer though.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
May be decent when they finish it, but untill then, not really interested. I avoid early crapcess like plague. Worst. Feature. Ever.

rvm1975

Educated
Master of Magic

it is big difference between some chess like fantasy combat and space simulation

honestly I am not able to figure what turn based combat pros ?

ps
I know what is mom and I have some memories about kiting wind dragons with alora the archer

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
I watched a little bit of stream and it looked like they combined the traditional Civ style tree with the restricted tech picks of MoO2, which could be good.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So here is my opinion of MOO4.

While this game have upgraded and improved some things, for example the UI, smooth overall gameplay with short loading times (turns) and almost no lag or other issues. The game still lack in most of the other areas.
This seem to be from the fact that they took MOO2 and then began to hack away at it until they could sell it to todays market of consumers with no attention span.
Instead of improving on MOO2 they removed feature's like: Less race traits, no turn based combat, worse research tree's.

While i like the style of the galaxy, the planets and yes even SOME of the race's most of them look overall bad with bad artstyle's and bad ship designs.
There is a bunch of things that feel like it missing like: The ability to place a colony on a planet where you have a base. Maybe its due to me playing MOO2 as of late, but it feel as if there are a bunch of buildings that have been removed.
There don't (unless i'm stupid) seem to be any way to move food from one planet to the other. There seem to be a large (story) based pointer that some race's are "war like" and others are more democracy built. Yet there are no souch things within the game.

I'm also not a huge fan of the "you have to move at the points we tell you" instead of the more free form movement of MOO. I get why they did this (multiplayer) however it seems like a overall downgrade. And yes i know there are new things so that you can make choke points but... Yeah...

Overall its a downgraded version of the older games with a few improvments but overall it's worse.
Can one play it? Yes... There are worse games out there. But if you are looking for a MOO2 game that have been improved upon with more research, race's, choices and new interesting features. Then sadly you will be disappointed.
So it's utter shit.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Played it a bit. I don't think it deserves a detailed write-up so I'll put it simple: babby's first 4x strategy.

bonescraper

1BQGAKR.gif

HyBuqYZ.gif

an theey decided to make another bipedal ... FFS ( HUMANOID):argh:
That's cute sir, but it's wrong. Those creatures definitely look exotic, but anything looking like that, no matter how intelligent, couldn't create a civilization. They fail at basic level, they can't use tools. Creating something totally alien is almost as simple as creating yet another humanoid bear (speaking with Russian accent). I'd like to see someone making an effort to design something alien yet plausible for a change.

tindrli

Arcane
1BQGAKR.gif

HyBuqYZ.gif

That's cute sir, but it's wrong. Those creatures definitely look exotic, but anything looking like that, no matter how intelligent, couldn't create a civilization. They fail at basic level, they can't use tools. Creating something totally alien is almost as simple as creating yet another humanoid bear (speaking with Russian accent). I'd like to see someone making an effort to design something alien yet plausible for a change.

what you mean bipedal civilization and tools? thats serious lack of imagination bro

hello friend

Arcane
Octopuses are smart, have good fine motor skills, and sophisticated communication. If they weren't such successful predators + could tolerate each other's company they might even have had the impetus to develop an advanced tradition of tool usage like ppl.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Extremely sterile, dumbed down, based on what i see in YT lets plays. Probably a fail.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
So, all our hopes stayed with Ray Fowler project.
Amen Brothers.

awwww, thanks!

I think I screwed this link up in an earlier post, so I'll put it here again: www.PretendStudios.com is the website for the new game (was "Java MOO", now "Remnants of the Precursors"). The dev blog has been moved to www.RemnantsOfThePrecursors.com

The private alpha is probably going to be around April/May, however it is very much gated by how quickly our artist can draw. I have yet to research the technology to grow two additional arms for him.

If you liked MOO1, then you will like my game. That is because it is exactly the same game (with a modern UI) so if you don't like it then you've got issues I can't help you with.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer

what you mean bipedal civilization and tools? thats serious lack of imagination bro

A technological species needs appendages to create and use tools. Could be intelligent spiders, for all that matters.

An aquatic species would have an extremely difficult time advancing because they would basically be living/breathing in the very medium in which their chemical reactions occur. Air-breathing creatures have a real advantage in this area. Not saying it's impossible, but much more difficult.

So, something air-breathing that has a brain and appendages. That's the minimum criteria for a technological species, imo. It doesn't have to be humanoid at all.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only with limited time, who knows what could evolve in another billion years on Earth if humans weren't dominant... intelligent dolphins? Squid civilization? It took humans only several thousand years to get where we are, perhaps aquatic civilization would need more time but it could happen.

bonescraper

So, something air-breathing that has a brain and appendages. That's the minimum criteria for a technological species, imo.
It's not that simple. You need a decent set of limbs capapble of good amount of lifting and precission and a good set of senses.

These guys for example...

latest

wouldn't be able to create all that high-tech shit when this is all they can see :lol:

f33bddac687d.jpg

It awlways bugged me :mad:

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
It's not that simple. You need a decent set of limbs capapble of good amount of lifting and precission and a good set of senses.

These guys for example...

latest

wouldn't be able to create all that high-tech shit when this is all they can see :lol:

It awlways bugged me :mad:

Well, I did say "minimum" criteria.

However, the Predator's vision problems could be easily explained away by saying that their eyes were adapted for the EM spectrum of their homeworld's atmosphere. On Earth it is different, so they need to augment their vision technologically in order to see well here.

Imagine a race that evolved on a world dimmer than ours. When they came to Earth they would be blinded by our daytime night levels.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
bonescraper Wasn't that just one of the modes in their masks dawg? I'm almost 100% positive that they had a few modes for hunting different species.

Edit: Ok, I checked it out and it seems that in original movie it actually was their normal vision, but they had different modes in masks as well. Different atmosphere thing makes sense tho'

Last edited:

Norfleet

f33bddac687d.jpg
But that's NOT all they can see. That's all WE can see of what THEY can see. That image simply represents the overlap of our visual ranges, as we cannot see the things that are in the image that are outside of our range.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom