Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Orion Remake ? :O

Destroid

Arcane
That's a bit of a silly thing to show in a movie.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
mind control
If you allow magic and fantasy, anything is possible. I'd like to discuss scientifically plausible ideas though.

I don't think mind control is that implausible. There are parasites on Earth that change the behavior of their hosts to some degree, such as toxoplasmosis.

Psychic mind control is another thing, of course, but it can lead to funny developments, like in Star Control 2.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
There are parasites on Earth that change the behavior of their hosts to some degree, such as toxoplasmosis.

Completely agree, if you dig deeper in parasites theme, you will be surprised how strong parasite can affect the host, I remember something about some (fungy?) parasite who parasitic on ants. Its name is Ophiocordyceps unilateralis or Cordyceps.

tindrli

Arcane
There are parasites on Earth that change the behavior of their hosts to some degree, such as toxoplasmosis.

Completely agree, if you dig deeper in parasites theme, you will be surprised how strong parasite can affect the host, I remember something about some (fungy?) parasite who parasitic on ants. Its name is Ophiocordyceps unilateralis or Cordyceps.
noooooo bro...after 20 years of waiting we need more bipedals

Destroid

Arcane

Obligatory:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
After delving in Distant Worlds - Universe, I kind of appreciate the dumbing down of Master of Orion.
Or maybe not... balance in everything!
Sawyer2.png

Or maybe yes...

Alex

Arcane
it looks like the Master of Orion reboot is shooting for the simpler, more streamlined tier

In other words: the game is going to be generic as fuck.

I'm edgy and I'm out.
MOO 1 was also more streamlined, and it was the better game as far as I am concerned.

I don't think the first MoO was a better game, but it certainly is very good. But the issue I have is, if they are going for something simpler, like MoO 1, then why not use it as the basis? From what I gathered about this game, they are aping MoO 2, with separate planets in each solar system and smaller populations per planet. But the thing about MoO 2 is that a bit part of what made it enjoyable was how byzantine it is. How you had many different options, weapons, buildings and what not you could use.

I dunno, maybe the game will prove to be entertaining, but simplifying MoO 2 seems like a fool's errand to me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maybe we should reserve final judgement for when it is out of early access. Maybe they plan to add a lot still. I heard at least spy systems are to be added in addition to more races and more victory conditions.
And since so many people complained about combat system, maybe they improve that as well.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Maybe we should reserve final judgement for when it is out of early access. Maybe they plan to add a lot still. I heard at least spy systems are to be added in addition to more races and more victory conditions.
And since so many people complained about combat system, maybe they improve that as well.

I disagree. "Early Access" and "Open Beta" are phrases that game companies use to avoid criticism.

If they are selling the game at full price to the general public, then this IS the release. Suggesting otherwise is just buying into their marketing hijinks. The free DLC with espionage & more races is coming in 3 months.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I disagree. "Early Access" and "Open Beta" are phrases that game companies use to avoid criticism.

If they are selling the game at full price to the general public, then this IS the release. Suggesting otherwise is just buying into their marketing hijinks. The free DLC with espionage & more races is coming in 3 months.
So, TToN that is now on early access is also a full version?
Underrail that was on early access for years was full version when it first came out?
Grim Dawn as well?

Maybe you are just braindead and wanted to type Kotaku in your browser but missed a few letters and ended up here...

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Underrail that was on early access for years was full version when it first came out?
Grim Dawn as well?

Maybe you are just braindead and wanted to type Kotaku in your browser but missed a few letters and ended up here...

I never once said they were full versions.

I get the impression that getting flamed for no reason is some sort of rite of passage on this site, but that was pretty weak tea.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Grim Dawn as well?

I never once said they were full versions.

I get the impression that getting flamed for no reason is some sort of rite of passage on this site, but that was pretty weak tea.
Calling something a release is exactly that.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer

I disagree. Selling something to the general public for full price is a release. What comes after that are patches (free) and expansions (not-free).

With DLC, there arguably is never a "full version" of a game anymore (see: Civ 5, GalCiv 3, etc etc)

Declinator

Arbiter

I disagree. Selling something to the general public for full price is a release. What comes after that are patches (free) and expansions (not-free).

With DLC, there arguably is never a "full version" of a game anymore (see: Civ 5, GalCiv 3, etc etc)

Early access is a release but it is not the release as in final release. Certainly some companies use it to generate money with a product they don't really expect to ever pass muster but for others (i.e. independents and such) it may very well be a way to get some much needed funds for continued progress. Underrail is one product that definitely is a very different beast than in the beginning (when it was "released" as an early access game).

Judging an early access product as the final product seems rather strange unless the product is close to release or has not been updated in a sufficiently long time to deem it hopeless. You can of course look at where the product is going or what has already been done and make (quite possibly accurate) judgements based on that.

Expansions and DLCs are the same thing really. Some just push as much piss-poor DLCs out of the door as they humanly can. Was Beyond the Sword all that different compared to Brave New World etc. ? That said, I definitely object to Paradoxian business practices DLC-wise.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
The way the battle grid was set up in MoO 1 was actually very cool in that it allowed you to kite, but the size of the map limited your movement to the point where infinite kiting became very, very difficult outside of extreme differences in weapon range and combat speed.

My guess is that it was more of a happy coincidence than intentional though.

Norfleet

from 2:25 you may see kiting with higher speed
https://youtu.be/Z_xeoAfqZV8?t=151

it is not possible to implement the same in turn based battle
Sure it is. Since nearly all games are essentially turn-based under the hood, with very few games implementing true continuous timeflow, kiting merely requires that your enemy's movement rate per turn be less than the difference between your ranges. With smaller, tiny turns like in "real time" games, this gap does not need to be as wide as it is to enable this in a turn-based game. If you have a range of 10, he has a range of 5, and you all have a movement rate of 6. then he can always close the gap on any turn where you fired at him. This can be partially closed if the system becomes a "we move and then we shoot", rather than a "I move and shoot, then you move and shoot".

The way the battle grid was set up in MoO 1 was actually very cool in that it allowed you to kite, but the size of the map limited your movement to the point where infinite kiting became very, very difficult outside of extreme differences in weapon range and combat speed.
Yeah, I don't really see why a SPACE game needs to have a limited battlemap. If you're engaging in a fight in open space, there should be no reason the map has a fixed "limit", instead of simply recentering, given that the area is empty and there should be no reason why someone cannot give "ground" indefinitely. The battle should only end once either all of one side has been neutralized or both sides have disengaged sufficiently that they cannot press further battle, either because one side cannot catch the other, or both have voluntarily opted to cease fighting.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Yeah, I don't really see why a SPACE game needs to have a limited battlemap. If you're engaging in a fight in open space, there should be no reason the map has a fixed "limit", instead of simply recentering, given that the area is empty and there should be no reason why someone cannot give "ground" indefinitely. The battle should only end once either all of one side has been neutralized or both sides have disengaged sufficiently that they cannot press further battle, either because one side cannot catch the other, or both have voluntarily opted to cease fighting.

It's a necessary game abstraction.

One could wave sci-fi hands and posit that ships with warp drives actually have limited fuel range in normal space since it's a different drive mechanism. You rarely saw ships in Star Trek (which MOO1 is modeled after) maneuvering around forever on impulse engines. They generally got to a clear spot and then warped out of the system when they were done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom