Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 256: Feargus Urquhart on the Life and Death of Black Isle Studios

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Urqhart has a pretty high opinion of some of the tech Black Isle was producing. It's really a shame we never got to see the fruits of the labor.

karfhud

Augur
Feel silly, but it's the first time I've heard of Baldur's Gate 3, a.k.a. The Black Hound, a.k.a. Project Jefferson. Would love to know why exactly it was shaping be up to be such a great game:

It would have toppled them in both depth and overall game play, I have no doubt. It would have been RPG of the year. Granted, this is my opinion based on what I know from the project, but as a gamer, I would have thoroughly enjoyed playing the game. I would have liked more than just 8 levels in the first outing, but that’s just a style preference.

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/gaming/foletto_pt2/

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Would love to know why exactly it was shaping be up to be such a great game

it was designed as a low level, kinda gritty, and non-linear dnd adventure - lots of factions, c&c, and an interesting (at least from the sound of it back then) plot with connections to icewind dale. word on the streets is that a lot of its designs are recovered in pillars of eternity, like the plot (stripped from the dnd legacy), c&c, and the whole epithet and fame/infamy system.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
besides a few concept art pieces there was only one actual screen used as a desktop wallpaper, afaik.

desk_opt2.jpg

karfhud

Augur
This desktop screenshot is just beautiful. I suppose that at one point I had the same combination of game shortcuts, obviously except for Jefferson.

:love:

Man, we've some good games back in the day.

The BG3 image itself is pretty neat as well. These meshes look surprisingly well. This engine (shared by Jefferson and Van Buren, as I understand), was it a 100% their work, or were they building upon Aurora?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Was instantly noticable it is sawyers desktop with the winamp playlist :P

And this screenshit doesnt blow my mind..
Same when I saw Van Buren Screenshots an just :what: ed at how worse it looked than Fo1/2

FeelTheRads

Arcane
For 3D at the time Van Buren and Jefferson looked really good. Much better than NWN, anyway.

karfhud

Augur
For 3D at the time Van Buren and Jefferson looked really good. Much better than NWN, anyway.

This. Can't really compare them to F1/2. I still prefer hand-drawn backgrounds in an isometric view, but gotta admit that their 3D engine looks impressive, considering they developed it like 12 years ago, or more. Wonder how FX looked.

gromit

Arcane
Both of you: shut up. Newerfag: masturbate.
bg3.jpg

It's both tragic and wonderful that pretty much the only thing to escape the whole production is a great big pile of Kovacs and Sweet.

Flat-out some of the best concept art on the planet; they are rightfully / unfortunately on to bigger and better things now...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom