Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Matt Chat does Darklands

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
1eyedking said:
The problem with him is he's too detached, and his consciousness of his target audience evinces clearly. He doesn't care about the games he 'reviews', or interviews developers about; he just wants some cheap fame.

Notice how he always says the games he's showcasing are awesome, classics, a testament of excellent design, hyperbole 1, 2, 3, etc., but he never states his personal experience about them, or accounts his own honest analysis (e.g.: including stuff such as obvious flaws). Compare to someone who is really passionate about videogames and is a douche as well :lol:

In other words he's a fake, the kind of fucker the Codex would hate, but this site has gone flaccid a long while ago.

I'm all for hating assholes with longhair bro, but you're overdoing it. Are you on your fucking period? Get a fucking rest man. You should use your energies to do something more productive. Anyway, why the fuck would he make videos about some long forgotten game to gain, huh, cheap fame? From who? Internet fame? Maybe he's a hack that's into making some side money off a small audience, that would be a more accurate way to put it, but who the fuck cares? This isn't worth the holy crusade

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Coincidentally, I have downloaded a Dosbox front-end some time ago so that I would be able to play Darklands again without having to swap config files.

denizsi said:
There are a couple outrageously cheap boxed Darkland sales on Ebay, btw. Grab one while you can.
Be careful, though. Unless they have a picture of box contents/are specifically listed as a box, it's possible that it's just a CD. One time I bought Darklands pretty non-expensively (for a box - way too much for a CD alone) and it had a box scan in the auction picture. It turned out that the box picture is from the wikipedia.
Luckily, after some time I got an email about how the game got returned by customs and that the CD got broken, so I got a refund without having to argue with the seller.

1eyedking said:
The problem with him is he's too detached, and his consciousness of his target audience evinces clearly. He doesn't care about the games he 'reviews', or interviews developers about; he just wants some cheap fame.

Notice how he always says the games he's showcasing are awesome, classics, a testament of excellent design, hyperbole 1, 2, 3, etc., but he never states his personal experience about them, or accounts his own honest analysis (e.g.: including stuff such as obvious flaws). Compare to someone who is really passionate about videogames and is a douche as well :lol:

In other words he's a fake, the kind of fucker the Codex would hate, but this site has gone flaccid a long while ago.
To be honest, he seems to be the kind of a person that people usually talk about when they use the "you're just looking through nostalgia glasses" argument.
A kind of a person that used to be a part of target audience but wasn't critical towards these games and is just criticizing some later games because he isn't a part of the target audience any more.

Zeus

Cipher
matt-chat-high.jpg

Zomg

Arbiter
Serious_Business said:
This isn't worth the holy crusade

Are you saying he sucks but it's not worth saying so in a post in the thread on the RPG Codex?

I hate to discourage 1EK when he has a correct opinion, he needs positive reinforcement from a strong father figure like you SB

1eyedking

Erudite
Awor Szurkrarz said:
To be honest, he seems to be the kind of a person that people usually talk about when they use the "you're just looking through nostalgia glasses" argument.
A kind of a person that used to be a part of target audience but wasn't critical towards these games and is just criticizing some later games because he isn't a part of the target audience any more.
Uh...no.

He's a fake. He just strokes the egos of self-inflated assholes who think the only good games were the old games.

It doesn't surprise me that the Codex in its current state can't see how hard he tries to give off the appearance of being nothing but a tired, cool-hippie old-school gamer. The shirts he wears, he things he says, the games in the background...

For fuck's sake he doesn't even own them, a friend lends them to him. And he seriously fucked up a couple of release dates at least once.

Also, "anybody of a certain intellect should enjoy PS:T for the masterpiece it is". My high-IQ neurons are coming buckets :roll:

racofer said:
thread_incliner.png

Mount on my flying cock and lets laugh at these fools from afar, 1eyedking!
Dear God.

What have we done.

m_s0

Arcane
Hate to say that, but yeah, 1eyedking has a point. I can't stand the guy as well at times. The parts where he talks over a video are alright, if a bit lifeless, but when he starts plugging himself at the end of each fucking vid he comes off as nothing more than a douche. "Subscribe" is one thing, "click my links, buy my stuff and I'll send you an autograph" combined with his permanent :smug: is just unbearable

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
OH GOD GUYS, THERE'S SOMEONE WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE ON THE INTERNETS

THIS WILL NOT STAND

1eyedking

Erudite
Today I battled your avatar.

I won.
:smug:

PS: He's got Dungeon Siege II, Fable and Age of Empires III on that shelf. Is he even a gamer?

1eyedking

Erudite
At least we were playing awesome games, right?

But I killed Darkstorn. You didn't kill me. In fact, you worked for me.
:smug:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Look, he has Fable and ToEE in the same room.
Clearly this man either enjoy playing games or he merely have them for show.
What a freak.

m_s0

Arcane
Jack said:
Look, he has Fable and ToEE in the same room.
Clearly this man either enjoy playing games or he merely have them for show.
What a freak.
You could be right. IF these were his games :lol:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
They are not?
I assumed he was very proud of his collection of games and that was why he always stands in front of them during his talks.

Tails

Arbiter
Serious_Business said:
You should use your energies to do something more productive.
He obviously can't, expect for being butthurt when someone else is creative.

1eyedking

Erudite
Tails said:
He obviously can't, expect for being butthurt when someone else is creative.
Butthurt detected.

m_s0 said:
He borrowed them

Read the text from 13:42 onwards
Doesn't make it any less pathetic.

Talking about how awesome Darklands is while Half-Life 2, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fable, and Dungeon Siege II are sitting on a shelf behind you screams nothing but "poser".

fastjack

Augur
re

is there much to this matt barton isnt a real rpg fan argument? i recall in the timcain interview video that he talked about his own eperiences with wasteland and his enjoyment of that game, am i just way off?

1eyedking

Erudite
Re: re

fastjack said:
is there much to this matt barton isnt a real rpg fan argument? i recall in the timcain interview video that he talked about his own eperiences with wasteland and his enjoyment of that game, am i just way off?
He probably said "It rocked, I really enjoyed exploring the Wasteland and meeting all of its post-apocalyptic denizens; the game had this unique feeling that you don't find in games nowadays. They were fun times, and was glad when Fallout came since it was very much a spiritual successor to one of my favorite games of all time."

See? I never played Wasteland but I even I can do it.

It's called lying.

Tails said:
Whatever. Also explain to me how this Matt guy is 'creative'.

Jora

Arcane
Re: re

fastjack said:
is there much to this matt barton isnt a real rpg fan argument?
No? Unless, of course, you don't refer to the argument that's being made by 1eyedking in the most retarded way possible.

zeitgeist

Magister
While I won't get into lengthy analysis of his persona (basically a videogame version of "that lovable stoner who's still really into classic metal"), it is interesting how artificially constructed it seems from some of the details presented in this thread.

It's obviously neither serious journalism nor serious critique, and while he does make valid points (note: I've only really seen a few videos and podcasts that were posted on Codex) from time to time, they're mostly nostalgic feel-good fluff pieces. But to what end? Who is his current, and who is his intended fanbase? It seems to me that, any way you look at it (whichever level of calculated opportunism you assign to him), he's still mostly preaching to the choir - it's highly unlikely that he's planning on making millions from getting people to buy games through his GoG affiliate links.

If he manages to get a fanbase big (and blind) enough to establish himself as some kind of a "retro gaming" authority, then we'll have a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom