Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Matt Chat does Darklands

Luzur

Good Sir
well, atleast he is reviewing old games, instead of Call of Duty for PS3 or something like that.

could also be elaborate commercials for his books, he used to show them off in his earlier movies alot.

Zeus

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Notice how he always says the games he's showcasing are awesome, classics, a testament of excellent design, hyperbole 1, 2, 3, etc., but he never states his personal experience about them

I've only watched one Matt Chatt video--Bard's Tale. And that was a while ago. So I decided to test 1eyedking's theory.

Picked one episode entirely at random, Heroes of Might and Magic. Here's what I got.

This is an example of a turn-based strategy game. What's great about it is if you play it on a single computer, you can play it on hotseat mode. What's great about that is you get little breaks in which you think about strategies. It's always fun when you sit back down and you've got some changes you can view. I really like the setup, and it lends itself well to a big group of friends over.

Okay, so he likes inviting friends over to play hotseat HoMM. I want more than friends, dammit--I want family!

Now we can talk about the history of something like Heroes of Might and Magic. The genre, I think we can trace all the way back to the 70s, with a game called Empire. And this game originated on mainframes, but if you're like me, you remember playing this on the 1987, uh, there were some remakes.

My Dad and I played this one on the Commodore Amiga platform. We played this game [laughs] I think we played this game until the disk wore out. I just loved it.

Later on, in 1990, there was a game called Warlords. Lots of fun, we also played this a lot at college. I remember some great memories of this game with my friends.

Er... pics or it didn't happen?

Archibald

Arcane
You`re nitpicking 1eyedking`s post.

His Darkland video was full of hyperboles, only difference from "<insert mainstream title> is better than sex" videos was that Darklands is old game.

relootz

Scholar
I don't know what you are expecting from his videos 1 eyedking. It's not as much a review as it is a nostalgic reminder of the old(er) games for most of us. Of course he might not have played all games extensively but i don't care. At least it's something different then all the newcrap games that are being released and talked about. Like the trips down memory lane.

It's getting harder to climb over the mountain of crap on the codex to find the few interesting things, i wonder if it is even worth it to look.

Zeus

Cipher
Archibald said:
You`re nitpicking 1eyedking`s post.

His Darkland video was full of hyperboles, only difference from "<insert mainstream title> is better than sex" videos was that Darklands is old game.

There's a huge difference between hyperbole and lying about how great a game is when you've never played it--something 1eyedking has accused him of on multiple occasions in this thread, even when he hadn't seen the video in question.

1eyedking said:
He probably said "It rocked, I really enjoyed exploring the Wasteland and meeting all of its post-apocalyptic denizens; the game had this unique feeling that you don't find in games nowadays. They were fun times, and was glad when Fallout came since it was very much a spiritual successor to one of my favorite games of all time."

See? I never played Wasteland but I even I can do it.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm refuting a point 1eyedking has brought up again and again. I picked one random video and it had plenty of personal anecdotes.

At the end of the HoMM retrospective, the guy admitted he hadn't played HoMM IV or V yet, and asked readers to leave comments about what they thought.

Doesn't sound like someone who lies about loving games he hasn't played to me.

Tails

Arbiter
Re: re

1eyedking said:
Also explain to me how this Matt guy is 'creative'.
Let's see: making videos about old games, interviews with developers, working on some books like Vintage Games or Dungeon & Desktops. Of course, nothing creative in your way of thinking I guess.

Elzair

Cipher
Darth Roxor said:
I need to finally get around to playing Darklands, ffs, but my 'old stuff to play' list is already pretty big and it's increasing instead of decreasing.

Hey, your list is nowhere near as bad as this guy's

Zomg

Arbiter
^^^I am strongly in favor of that dude over lollo retro gaming rulezzzz Youtube wannabe game journalists/internet microcelebrities.

I'd say to link him whenever he finished a new game's posts instead of this crap except he hasn't updated in a couple of weeks now :cry:

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Props to Matt for inducing major butthurt in resident codexers. :salute:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Between this and all the GOG whining, I'm pretty certain Codexers are just angry at anyone who dares attempt to bring their beloved obscure shit into common awareness because then they won't be elite enough for liking it anymore

I mean imagine the real-life conversations on this

"Hey, man, I found this guy who does all these retrospectives on those old RPGs you keep raving about. He's pretty cool, he's really made me interested in-"
"NO HE IS NOT ELITE ENOUGH :obviously:"
"But bro I thought you'd-"
"SILENCE HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO ENJOY MY VIDEO GAMES AND NEITHER ARE YOU :obviously:"
"But but-"
"HE DOES NOT REALLY ENJOY MY GAMES, ONLY I DO, EVERYONE ELSE IS A POSER :obviously:"

1eyedking

Erudite
Except he isn't cool and he's a fake.

Compare to Vault Dweller, DarkUnderlord, Elwro, Saint_Proverbius, etc.

Also fuck you for not including me in your shitty comics.

1eyedking said:
Except he isn't cool and he's a fake.

Also fuck you for not including me in your shitty comics.

1eyedking said:
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller, DarkUnderlord, Elwro, Saint_Proverbius

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ofcourse not. 1eyedking and his kin never played it and can't find enough youtube gameplay vids to come up with lame bullshit about it. Even if they tried they would just cry about how the graphics are unplayable in dosbox and run back to the hype of the day so they could cry about the decline.

Fakers are fake.

Zeus

Cipher
1eyedking said:

I'd love to. Where are their videos?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ogg said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I'm pretty certain Codexers are just angry at anyone
Fix'd.

Could we talk about Darklands now?
I have read a bit of the manual yesterday. I find the whole idea of satanic cults, witches, etc. fascinating.

I think he started matt chat as a way to promote his book and make monies on the side, he does seem to enjoy the old games genuinely though.
He doesnt seem to criticise the games much and does seem a bit biased.

he is an English professor and seems like one of those professors who love the 'suck-up' students.

Zeus

Cipher
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I have read a bit of the manual yesterday. I find the whole idea of satanic cults, witches, etc. fascinating.

Yeah, and instead of magic it's all about alchemy. There aren't many games that do that. Oddly enough, Lord of the Rings Online does, since there's only supposed to be like five wizards in Middle-Earth, players have to play Rune Masters or some junk.

Darklands isn't quite like any other RPGs out there. Occasionally you see hints of its influence (Mount & Blade's city menu, trading, etc.), but it's largely forgotten.

:(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom