Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

catfood

AGAIN
Doing reviews of various old games is one thing (anyone with a mike can do them), but he actually managed to get interviews with well known developers too. Thumbs up to Matt.

CrimHead

Scholar
He's an amiable and totally reasonable guy-- that's why he gets the interviews-- unlike us angry cunts.

Also:

THAT THEME SONG

2926869841_46e4ef508b_o.gif

Peter

Arcane
He shouldn't try to do humor though. The characters and text balloons that pop up really only detract from the rest of the review.

Also, something that really bugs me is that you can't hear what he's saying because of the music and sound effects sometimes.

Other than that, :salute:.

Zeus

Cipher
Strange, the RSS points to the 48k version of the podcast. I guess I'll just let MediaMonkey notify me when he updates and then go manually download the high quality one.

DaveO

Erudite
Proof that words in audio or written format don't matter. Only action matters, which would require a revolution from the sheep(and that won't happen either).

Zeus

Cipher
DaveO said:
Proof that words in audio or written format don't matter. Only action matters, which would require a revolution from the sheep(and that won't happen either).

After failing to convince anyone that written words don't matter by using the written word, DaveO finally gave up and realized his dream.

mimeo.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Was there any butthurt over Bard's Tale 2 in the interview ? Maybe he should also do an interview with Michael Cranford.

Luzur said:
its sad to see such a gifted coder go over to the dark side.
You must be talking about this, eh ? : "In April 2001, she began writing novels based on Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, The Terminator, Ace Ventura and Independence Day."

facepalm

ghostdog said:
"In April 2001, she began writing novels based on Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, The Terminator, Ace Ventura and Independence Day."facepalm
:what:
He/she was what, 38 at that time? Wha-?
Edit: "On March 17, 2008, she launched a webcomic called Sailor Ranko[3] based on her novels set in the Sailor Ranko universe created by Duncan Zillman and Kevin D. Hammel, based on characters from Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2."

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Maybe they simply like them. After all they find programming interesting enough to write games. Who knows what such an alien mind finds entertaining...

Quoting the most lulzy parts:
You wanted to continue making Bard's Tale games. Why did you make Dragon Wars instead of Bard's Tale IV?

RH: EA wouldn't let us.
The publishing deal we had with Bard's Tale was that even though we owned the code and the scenario and so forth, the name Bard's Tale was trademarked by Electronic Arts. So if we wanted to release a game called Bard's Tale, we had to pay a licensing fee to Electronic Arts. They wouldn't even let us do it.

They said, "Oh, you want to use the name? Publish through us." Push came to shove, and that's when Brian came to me and said, "Okay, we're calling it Dragon Wars." I looked him dead in the eye and said, "You do know there's no dragons in the story?" "Well, it's Dragon Wars now."
So I had to come up with, at the last minute, a story that had a dragon in it, and put little quips every now and then that said there were dragon wars in the past. But since the game was only a month or two away from shipping, I couldn't re-do the actual ending of the game to make a battle of the dragons. So, it's a running joke that we shipped a game called Dragon Wars with hardly any dragon it.
Some Brian Fargo bashing:
Speaking of him, what did you think of his Bard's Tale game?

RH: [Sticks finger down throat, makes gagging noises.] When he first described it to me -- he wanted to do a parody role-playing game. In my opinion, the Bard's Tale that Brian released was The Princess Bride. It even had Cary Elwes as the bard; the humor and everything was The Princess Bride and was not Bard's Tale.

:lol:

Link (This is actually a video interview, but there's a transcipt too):
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100903- ... ption.html
Somebody invite her to the Codex

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How do you know she (this is the tranny right?) isn't already a member.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom