Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

KalosKagathos

Learned
Mrowak said:
In all seriousness, though, the guy clearly prefers good-old turn-based RPGs with no bullshit cutscenes and such. You can see how he struggles to muster any enthusiasm about TW.

That begs for question why he decided to review this game.
Damn straight, bros, only those who loved Stab Stab Revolution should be allowed to review it. : x

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
KalosKagathos said:
Mrowak said:
In all seriousness, though, the guy clearly prefers good-old turn-based RPGs with no bullshit cutscenes and such. You can see how he struggles to muster any enthusiasm about TW.

That begs for question why he decided to review this game.
Damn straight, bros, only those who loved Stab Stab Revolution should be allowed to review it. : x

No, Kalos. It's just Matt is a specific kind of reviewer who reviews classics only. Why to review a game he does not consider a classic i.e. good, then? At least he could say that it was bad, but no. He visibly struggles to say anything positive about it. Why does he do that? Because of fan-pressure?

In the words of ancient Codexian philosopher and thinker - Volorun (may he forever rest in peace):

R00fles.

Exmit

Scholar
rofl i love this one

I'm sure bros you haven't heard this one.................. THE CHARACTER HAS LOST HIS MEMORYYYYYYYY, TOTAL AMNEEEEEEESIAAAAAA, HE STARTS FROM SQUARE ONEEEEEEEEEEE

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mrowak said:
No, Kalos. It's just Matt is a specific kind of reviewer who reviews classics only. Why to review a game he does not consider a classic i.e. good, then? At least he could say that it was bad, but no. He visibly struggles to say anything positive about it.s.
That's quite a stretch. He also says positive things about the game, he is just not enthusiastic about it, that's all.

Deleted member 7219

The guy lost all credibility when he said Baldur's Gate was the greatest of the greatest CRPGs and as close to perfection as we're ever going to get.

Exmit

Scholar
Matt7895 said:
The guy lost all credibility when he said Baldur's Gate was the greatest of the greatest CRPGs and as close to perfection as we're ever going to get.

Because it is closest to pen and paper rpg that we ever had and ever will get as things look now.

Get your facts straight.

Deleted member 7219

Exmit said:
Matt7895 said:

Because it is closest to pen and paper rpg that we ever had and ever will get as things look now.

Get your facts straight.

I think pen-and-paper is hugely overrated by gamers, but on the few occasions I have played it I've found there's a huge amount of freedom, and the DMs I've had place a great deal of importance on dialogue. Yes, I've played many campaigns when I've talked my way out of combat encounters and made choices which have come to bite me on the ass later.

The only CRPGs I've played that emulate this are Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas. They are great examples of CRPGs with choices and consequences.

Baldur's Gate, on the other hand, has a terrible combat system (which somehow everyone thinks is awesome) and you merely go from map to map hacking and slashing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And yet another topic which turns into a Baldur's Gate discussion...

Deleted member 7219

J_C said:

The point is, he thinks Baldur's Gate is the creme de la creme of the RPG genre. It suggests his opinions on other RPGs, like The Witcher, may not be worth the paper they're written on (or in this case, the YouTube they are played on).

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Matt7895 said:
The point is, he thinks Baldur's Gate is the creme de la creme of the RPG genre. It suggests his opinions on other RPGs, like The Witcher, may not be worth the paper they're written on (or in this case, the YouTube they are played on).

The point is, you are butthurt. You disagree with him and are saying that his reviews aren't worth shit because he likes another RPG better than you do? I smell Skyway...

Off topic: Baldur's Gate IS the creme de la creme in the sense that it is the best example of how to make an cRPG out of an RPG. ToEE comes close in the combat kind of way but BG just managed to do what no other modern cRPG did. Nowadays most of them don't even bother any more, thanks to licensing and more often the suggested need to be innovative. As if the console crowd would care about the non-existence of connections between a Baldur's Gate 10 and 11.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Saark said:
Off topic: Baldur's Gate IS the creme de la creme in the sense that it is the best example of how to make an cRPG out of an RPG. ToEE comes close in the combat kind of way but BG just managed to do what no other modern cRPG did. Nowadays most of them don't even bother any more, thanks to licensing and more often the suggested need to be innovative. As if the console crowd would care about the non-existence of connections between a Baldur's Gate 10 and 11.
Except the combat system isn't as faithful to D&D as a turn-based setup is (and there are far better games in this respect), the story is terrible and poorly told, the dungeon design boring and repetitive, you are forced to fight endless trash mobs rather than given unique encounters most of the time (and most of the ones you do get are poorly thought out), the game is horribly unbalanced (kiting for the win!), there's absolutely no choice and consequence, the story is 100% linear and the player can't even visit certain areas of the game world for no reason other than a plot flag hasn't changed, etc. It might be a reasonable facsimile of the tabletop D&D experience, but it tries to do way too much given its limitations and ends up suffering quite a bit as a result - a huge, boring game world without enough interesting quests, bad dialogue, broken combat balance, etc. If my DM gave me Baldur's Gate as a tabletop campaign, I'd kick him in the jaw.

Baldur's Gate is good in some respects, but I find it highly suspect that you seem to think it's some pinnacle in bringing D&D to the computer realm, because there are much better games that do it, even if they focus on more specific aspects. And again, maybe you feel Baldur's Gate gets "the whole D&D experience" filled out best, but if that's the case, then our standards must be pretty fucking low for the reasons mentioned above.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Matt7895 said:
Baldur's Gate, on the other hand, has a terrible combat system (which somehow everyone thinks is awesome).
Exactly who thinks that? Most of the people who are fond of BGs combat seem to be the same who think it's the definitive old school masterpiece.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
You have successfully added Flatlander to your ignore list.

Return to the post

Saark said:
So, one is supposed to do it by removal of turn-based combat, dumbed-down fighter combat, messing up implementation of important spells (like mirror image and stoneskin which is horribly bugged when it comes to interaction with attack effects), linear story, no use of creativity like using various items to solve various problems, lack of character descriptions, not using non-combat proficiencies, ignoring rule-addons that enrich character creation, development and combat, etc?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Matt7895 said:
J_C said:

I'm sure we could find a game that you think very highly of, yet other people hate it with a passion. Would this make your opinion on any game invalid?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
J_C said:
I'm sure we could find a game that you think very highly of, yet other people hate it with a passion. Would this make your opinion on any game invalid?

Yes. The hivemind abhors discord.

Renegen

Arcane
I wonder if some of you have ever played PnP Dungeons & Dragons. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are the ultimate fantasy adventures. You can take huge detours and stumble on a beholder, you slowly learn about the story and gameworld as you explore (aka. the story doesn't drive the game, the player does), you hunt some mausoleums to get a more powerful sword.
Everything is exactly like D&D. It's a different RPG from "you are the chosen one, go here to save the world" and "you've met a down-on-her luck single mother, would you like to kill her, or give her gold?". It's simply about the adventure.

deuxhero

Arcane
Except in BG, you are the "chosen one". Only you are allowed to save the world because of your dad was your dad.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
deuxhero said:
Except in BG, you are the "chosen one". Only you are allowed to save the world because of your dad was your dad.
No, actually you are not the chosen one, because there are a lot of Bhaal spawns in the beginning. And you are not saving the world (at least not in BG1).

Deleted member 7219

J_C said:
Matt7895 said:
J_C said:

That would be easy to do. KOTOR, for example. The difference is, I know KOTOR isn't the best CRPG made by a long shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom