Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Chat Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Satori (original), Aug 25, 2010.

1. KazikluBey Augur Patron

KazikluBey
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I'd say saving the Sword Coast was close enough. It was nice that they gave your character a personal connection as well, but the story of BG1 would largely have worked even without it as a typical "save the world" fare.

^ Top  
  2. visions Arcane

visions
    It is true to an extent (at least in BG I, never really played the second one). I do not have to go to Nashkel when the game tells me to, I may explore most of the map (excluding areas like Cloakwood, bandit camp and the city of BG itself) while ignoring the main quest, if I wish.

^ Top  
  3. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    I wouldn`t be surprised if half the "BG is shit" people here haven`t played Baldurs Gate in the first place.

^ Top  
  4. Exmit Scholar

Exmit
    BG > twitcher 2 and 1

that's a fact

^ Top  
  5. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    OK, your a "Chosen One".

^ Top  
  6. Exmit Scholar

Exmit
    :retarded:

^ Top  
  7. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    In some games you feel like the whole world is moving ahead of you, think big invasion of the Blight in Dragon Age, you are just an actor in the bigger picture.

While also true in BG, for the most part you just stroll around the countryside following leads. In fact, it's a complete accident that you are the one to destroy Sarevok's plans. So you are a Bhaal spawn, many are.

BG2 is more epic though.. but with all of its sidequests and different locales it still felt like a series of connected adventure modules.

^ Top  
  8. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    You have successfully added Archibald to your ignore list.

Return to the post

It's not true. You have to go through specific points of the story in a specific sequence. It's not a player-driven game (like Fallout where you decide in what sequence you go to places and in what sequence you go through the main points of the game), it's story-driven, to the point that you can't get to some parts of the world through free exploration because it would allow players to bypass parts of the story and Bioware can't allow it to happen.

D&D encourages creative problem solving. In BG problem solving is almost exclusively killing people/monsters or hitting them until they give up or in rare cases picking the correct dialogue option.

You are the chosen one as no one else is able to solve the main quest. You are also, the centre of the universe as it exists only so that you could go through the main quest without any time limits.

You meet super-powerful people like Elminster, Drizzit and Cadderly who won't lift a finger to save the Sword Coast because saving the Sword Coast is the special destiny of the protagonist.

It's not a complete accident. The linear game story forces you to do it and there's no one else who can do it.

^ Top  
  9. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    What are you, twelve? No one cares who you add to your ignore list -- shut up.

^ Top  
  10. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    You have successfully added Awor Szurkrarz to your ignore list.

Childish brat.

^ Top  
  11. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    Exactly.

^ Top  
  12. Data4 Arcane

Data4
    It's getting harder and harder to distinguish between new troll accounts and honest to goodness new forum members who just happen to be ... naive, to put it nicely.

^ Top  
  13. Crichton Erudite

Crichton
    This is a pet peeve of mine. Now I can easily see how the error arises for people who didn't play pen and paper AD&D (2nd edition) but ...

2nd Edition D&D was phase-based, not turn-based. You chose an action and then rolled for initiative. The best way of representing this is exactly how BG (and BG2, IWD and PS:T) handles it. The game pauses at the start of the round, you choose actions for everyone, the game rolls for initiative to see how long everyone's actions take and they get executed in order.

You don't have to like it, maybe lots of people didn't and that's why they changed it in 3rd edition. I don't know. The point is that the IE games are as close to PnP 2nd edition as we're ever going to get (even though all the cleric spheres are messed up).

^ Top  
  14. JrK Cipher

JrK
    Yeah wtf. At first I thought "are these people really defending BG as a pinnacle of dnd emulation?" then I noticed the registration dates... It's clear what the dividing line is. Lulz@2011 member accusing someone of being a "childish brat". :roll:

:decline:

These people clearly have not constructed any pylons in their life.

^ Top  
  15. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    I don`t know, maybe it`s different elswhere but in my country and from what i read on some international rpg forums and sites D&D was always about killing stuff in dungeons and getting loot. If players wanted something else besides killing stuff they`d pick another system.

^ Top  
  16. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    Watching the review and, he calls translation awful and "translated literally word for word without regard for context". There are numerous awkward translations and many completely omitted but generally it is far from what he claims. That's sad, for him.

Teehee... Who the fuck is this guy?

I'm not a fan of TW's combat but at least sword combat is not the soulless and bland autopilot of IE games.

^ Top  
  17. curry Arcane

curry
    This. Anyone who disagrees is either potato or pseudopotato :smug:

^ Top  
  18. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Who could forget the Bioware classic branching adventure path and multiple monster contract hunts in the forests of Sword Coast?

Baldur's Gate is probably an evergreen classic, featuring a branching storyline where you take sides and fight factions like the Flaming Fist or Iron Throne for domination in the Sword Coast even before Pete Molyneux could fathom what makes RPG and there is an actual difference between good and evil.

A myriad of entirely optional content greets the players as he visits Dryad forests, Wyvern Caves and old forgotten tombs, with evil so ancient, you swore it was just like when you rolled your first dice on 6th grade.

Can a son of a god rise and avenge the loss of his foster father as he led his band of young witchers to foil a conspiracy that threatens the stability of the Sword Coast itself?

*Cries for a remake*

^ Top  
  19. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    I'll say this for the Twitcher series: It's a surefire way to detect potato. If someone confesses they like Twitcher, hold on to your wallet 'cause their gypsy friends are about to try and rob you blind.

^ Top  
  20. Saark Arcane Patron

Saark
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    And what exactly has that to do with my statement? Pretty much nothing. I'm not saying BG/BG2 is the pinnacle of cRPGs. All I'm saying is, BG/BG2 are as close as we are probably going to get when it comes to emulating an RPG featuring most or all aspects of it, be it Dungeons and Dragons, The Dark Eye or whatever floats your boat. KotC or ToEE are great combat emulations, worlds better than BG2. But taking that aside there is not much more interesting stuff to do in these games. And seeing how no big studio is even remotely interested in producing them any more, since they have their own franchises now, it'll probably stay that way. I'd still love to see an IE Dark Heresy cRPG...

I have to admit I may very well be biased about Baldur's Gate and its emulating an RPG though, since my first time playing it was with my DnD PnP group via LAN :love:

^ Top  
  21. Tycn Savant

Tycn
    Wait, what?

^ Top  
  22. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Fallout was much better at emulating the tabletop RPGs, Wasteland probably even better as it had more situations where you got to decide to use various stuff and stats and skills on other stuff to solve various problems.
    Baldur's Gate lacked decent narration (like in descriptions of surroundings, descriptions of characters, descriptions of actions, etc.) and wasn't interactive enough.

If your PnP RPG sessions were anything like BG then you had a pretty bad GM.

He sounds genuine. And most of trolls have easily recognizable Drog's speech patterns anyway.

Here.

Except that it's not how BG handles it. BG has individual initiative rounds, so there isn't one end of the round for everyone where you can decide actions for everyone and then watch what happens - also, you have constant input in BG unlike in phase based games. What you're describing sounds like how combat works in Wasteland.
    Anyway, that's pretty interesting. I always thought that AD&D is turn-based but with more complicated initiative rules.

^ Top  
  23. Exmit Scholar

Exmit

:haahahahowow:

Awor with this post proves he needs his dumbfuck tag.

^ Top  
  24. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    By interactive I assume he means there isn't much to do beyond opening containers and doors. Rarely do you have to solve some sort of environmental puzzle, there are no skills like repair/tech/etc. which could be used to manipulate and change the world in some way, that sort of thing. Character movement is also very fixed, there's no jumping, climbing, vaulting down cliffs, sliding down slopes, etc. These aren't necessarily for an RPG but I could definitely see someone feeling that the standard "kill something/loot something" dynamic is a bit limited.

^ Top  
  25. Exmit Scholar

Exmit
    Master of decline, you should be hired by treyarch , i'm sure you'd bring great RPG elements to call of duty.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)