Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt MacLean on Tyranny's upcoming Bastard's Wound expansion at PC Invasion

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Matt MacLean; Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Tyranny; Tyranny: Bastard's Wound

PC Invasion have an interview with Obsidian's Matt MacLean about the upcoming Bastard's Wound expansion for their rapidly-receding-from-memory 2016 RPG, Tyranny. It's a frank and somewhat awkward piece. Matt doesn't want to talk about the expansion's story, but he's not shy about revealing how limited its scope will be. See for yourself:

PC Invasion: Whereabouts in the game’s three acts does Bastard’s Wound slot into the story?

Matt McLean: This DLC is designed to be accessible to players who are at almost any point in the game. We put most of the action in the second Act of the game, to make it accessible to players on any of the major branches of the quest.

PCI: Is that so players who may have already finished Tyranny last year will be able to jump in asap?

MM: We have a New Game Plus mode that was released [for free] alongside the last DLC [Tales from the Tiers]. Our goal with this one is to have a DLC that doesn’t require the player to have already beaten the game. If they beat the game already they can go to an old save at Act Two, or just New Game Plus their way to Act Two. Act One isn’t very long, so we figured that’s the sweet spot to get the most players.

PCI: The main setting is a refugee camp that’s hidden from Kyros, can you talk a little more about that?

MM: We’ve kind of already spoiled a little bit too much about the story and the big thing we traffic in here at Obsidian is story, so I don’t want to speak too much more about it. But yes, the action takes place in a part of the world that was ignored by the major thrust of the war. Kyros’ armies marched past this place. It’s a spot where things are happening … not really a side-story, but one that’s happening concurrently with the main story. So players get to look on something that the rest of the armies haven’t seen.

PCI: So will actions you perform in Bastard’s Wound have an impact on the original story, or is this more separate?

MM: Yeah … there are certain ways to have it react to the main story, yeah. But I would say that the focus is not on a story that interacts with the main story. We only have so many hours in the day to work on content, so we wanted to create most of the content to be multiple ways to play out this additional adventure area. There are connections to the main world, but we wanted to focus more on lots of things to do in this area, and have less focus on how the ripples affect the main world.

PCI: There was reference in the original Bastard’s Wound announcement that this expansion would give a closer look at the Beastmen. Can you elaborate on that?

MM: In the main game we only really got to show one of the tribes of the Beastmen throughout the tiers, the Stonestalkers. There’s more to the Beastmen than just that tribe, unfortunately the story never took us to the places where we’d show you more of them. So we’re excited to have a chance to show more about the Beastmen, teach you about their history, have more characters to show you the different experiences the tribes have and what makes the different.

PCI: It seems like there are three companions who are getting new quests in Bastard’s Wound, is that right?

MM: That’s correct. For this particular DLC we have companion quests for Lantry, Barik, and Verse.

PCI: Since it deals with the Beastmen, is there any particular reason Kills-in-Shadow is not one of the companions getting a new quest?

MM: That’s a great question, but I don’t have a good answer for that.

Julia [Kernan]: Other than having time. Production time only allowed for us creating so much.

PCI: The spell system was one thing I really enjoyed in Tyranny, will the expansion add anything to that system?

MM: With the last DLC we’ve had some modifications to the spell system in terms of balance. We’re not adding any major sigils, mainly out of a problem of multiplicity. Any new sigil has to interact with every other shape and accent. We certainly thought about it, and it’s something we kinda wanted to do, but it’s something that turned out to be more expensive than we initially thought possible.

In some ways we made the magic system so complex that adding to it is a multiplication problem out of the scope of what we were trying to do.
Equally revealing are some of Matt's answers in the second half of the interview, where he appears to engage in an apologetic defense of Tyranny's style of choice & consequence and its much-criticized third act. It's a strange interview, but I guess that's par for the course for this strangely marketed game.

LilSassy

Novice
If Matt MacLean says anything even remotely negative about Act 3 a little bomb goes off in his brain.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why the fuck no one makes post-game expansions anymore?
Maybe because many people don't finish the games, so for them post-game expansion wouldn't do any good. Why would they buy them if they can't play that content. On the other hand, if the expansion is integrated into the main storyline, they can see the new stuff after starting a new game.

PrettyDeadman

Maybe because many people don't finish the games, so for them post-game expansion wouldn't do any good. Why would they buy them if they can't play that content. On the other hand, if the expansion is integrated into the main storyline, they can see the new stuff after starting a new game.
Most people don't play the games they buy anyway. Might as well buy expansion pack they won't play.

Shin

Cipher

I think at this point it's simply a foreign term for the majority of 'gamers'. Like, apart from Majora's Mask (which I haven't played btw so I might be wrong about this) which console (exclusive) game has ever had a full fledged post-game expansion pack? Plus it makes no sense from a publishers standpoint to create a crapload of content and sell it at a 20/30 dollar pricepoint when you can easily nickle and dime that amount (if not more) by including exciting stuf like lootboxes, pre-order DLC and various cosmetics in-game changes that you unlock by shifting around 3 types of digital currency.

Modern 'gamers' wouldn't know an expansion pack if Lord of Destruction and Throne of Baal had a lovebaby which kicked them in the face.

SAD!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
still genuinely impressed they managed to greenlight an expansion to this game

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

HBS did it for free, though perhaps they ended up regretting it. iirc you absolutely had to import a save because of all the various story flags, and I guess making a default would have been more trouble than it was worth. Character creation really wouldn't have been a problem like it would be for other RPGs considering how simple it is.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
PCI: It seems like there are three companions who are getting new quests in Bastard’s Wound, is that right?

MM: That’s correct. For this particular DLC we have companion quests for Lantry, Barik, and Verse.

PCI: Since it deals with the Beastmen, is there any particular reason Kills-in-Shadow is not one of the companions getting a new quest?

Julia [Kernan]: Other than having time. Production time only allowed for us creating so much.

That's a non-answer. Julia should've explained why KiS isn't one of the three companions getting a quest rather than this cop-out.

skyst

Augur

That's a non-answer. Julia should've explained why KiS isn't one of the three companions getting a quest rather than this cop-out.

Probably because KiS was a junk companion.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It doesn't have to be specifically designed as a post-campaign expansion, they could do it like Heart of Winter did where you could play it during the campaign or by starting a new game with only the expansion content.

Not sure why they didn't do that with TWM and BW. Technical limitations?

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great, mid content dlc for a game that have no proper ending.

good ridance with your "expansion".

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The hell was that interview? "We uh, want publicity but can't actually tell anything about the content".

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Why the fuck no one play games anymore? Because internet habits cause short attention span?

The average age of game purchasers is getting older; people don't have the time. At the same time, people are constantly bombarded with advertisements for games, many of which don't retail at full price and which are often on sale. These games can be bought with just a few clicks.

Morkar Left

New Game + modes :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom