Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA never played Arcanum, loves RPGCodex

Shannow

Waster of Time
Droog White Smile said:
Deriding != criticizing.
So you know the difference. Then get it right the next time.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Droog White Smile said:
Deriding != criticizing.

Where the hell where you? Oblivion threads were wordy, very wordy. People actually listed bucketloads of flaws over and over and over again before they got bored and ventured into the realm gross exaggerations of Patrick Stewart memes.

Comparisons with Daggerfall. Comparisons with Morrowind. Comparisons with Fallout to show the other end of the scale. Oblivion was thrown in design discussions over and over, how to do, how not to do. The abundance of Oblivion threads (I'm talking about 10/20 a day and not just in one forum) alone mellowed people out from giving honest, but hateful reviews which the game fully deserved by the way, but trust me, the solid criticism was there. It also helped that a lot of new comers first expressed their views n text walls before they became fucking tired of the whole repetitive process too.

One of the few prestigious accomplishments of RPGCodex was that it maintained a consistent and realistic view on the game instead of the overheated appreciation that other sites showed. Unlike say... Mass Effect in which only a few people here actually bother to be subjective while the rest of us just ride the EXTREME bandwagon for the lulz.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WOW BROS IT IOS PRETTY COOL I FEEL LIKE I HELP ALOT MR. AVELLONE IF YOU ARE READING PLEASE TAKE THE POPAMOLE OUT OF ALPHA PROTOCOL IT IS THE WORST GFAME I EVERY PLAYED!!!!!!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Callaxes said:
Unlike say... Mass Effect in which only a few people here actually bother to be subjective while the rest of us just ride the EXTREME bandwagon for the lulz.
Freud?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Callaxes said:
It also helped that a lot of new comers first expressed their views n text walls before they became fucking tired of the whole repetitive process too.
Epic post there JarlFrank! :D

Silellak said:
So we had Bethesda people posting here until people started rightfully criticizing their sub-par game?
IIRC there was a flood of ESFers creating accounts and posting how stupid the codex is after VD's review.

Black Cat

Magister
@ DriacKin

"Instead, his response seemed like a safe, non-controversial statement."

What do you mean by safe and non controversial, he totally insulted that RPGWatch thingie!

:banned:

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, it was either Beth not wanting their wage slaves to hang around here and get tainted or someone wishing mrsmileyfacedude's wife would die or whatever it was. Even I can understand how that would make someone not come here...

Jim Cojones

Prophet
DriacKin said:
But, to be honest, I think he's just trying to be polite.
I mean, even if does think of this place as a shithole or a cesspool, he can't actually say that -- it'd be terrible PR. Instead, his response seemed like a safe, non-controversial statement.
If he tried to be polite, he wouldn't suggest he doesn't follow Eurogamer.

Suchy

Arcane
Eurogamer: New Vegas, then. What's your role in the team?

Chris Avellone: I can't say.

Eurogamer: Not your job title?

Chris Avellone: I can't say!

Eurogamer: Okay. But so, like, if I, for example, were making a game called Fallout: New Vegas, and I was using the Fallout 3 engine, and I had my own development studio, and I was just going around asking people for advice, what would you tell me?

Chris Avellone: I could not even speculate on that. I would be shot in the head.

Eurogamer: It was worth a try. Okay, so, how has working with Bethesda been - in general, I mean?

Chris Avellone: I probably can't speak about that either.

Eurogamer: You're kidding!

Chris Avellone: Dude, you know what, if you could be a fly on the wall for some of these conversations...
heh... looks like you can't really expect F:NV to be any better than F3. Except the writing maybe.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Callaxes said:
Unlike say... Mass Effect in which only a few people here actually bother to be subjective while the rest of us just ride the EXTREME bandwagon for the lulz.

Probably because the Codex is more jaded now. 8 years is a long time. At some point you just stop really caring and start spending inordinate amounts of time in GD.

DraQ

Arcane
I will wait with berating MCA 'till I find the time to start playing the copy that finally took a residence on my shelf not long ago.

And I'm still willing to post walls of text, it's just that it now takes me longer to charge mah lazor.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Whipporowill said:
Well, it was either Beth not wanting their wage slaves to hang around here and get tainted or someone wishing mrsmileyfacedude's wife would die or whatever it was. Even I can understand how that would make someone not come here...

First of all, I didn't wish death. I wished Rape. Lots of rape. All kinds in fact.

Second of all, I had every right to. Bitch was steppin outta line, givin me tha eye. You gotsta slap a bitch down an break her when she gets uppity.

DraQ

Arcane
Whipporowill said:
Well that was pretty fucking distasteful, and not in a traditional codexian way.

Granted, I may be somewhat soft when it comes to the guy responsible for MW magic system (which is definitely one of the highlights of the game even if it could have been done much better and actually balanced, OBs system, while superficially similar, was shit for several key reasons including, but not limited to greatly reduced variety of effects, lack of multiple summons and effects being applied simultaneously, which prevented clever use of carefully arranged effect sequences), as well as an Argonian fan, but still...

Whipporowill

Erudite
Oh yeah, rape - now I remember. No wonder, really. :roll:

And no matter how crappy the game was et c, MSFD was always a cool guy - has to be said. I mean, considering the amount of vitriol he got from hanging around here, he never blinked - until "ze incident".

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Eh, Shit happens.

Especially here. Buyer beware and all that rot.

Whaddya guys want from me?! I'm just a MAN! And he was a representative of bethesduh. What should I have done? Why would posting here have done anything at all? They never took our advice for it. Not one iota. All posting here did was try to give them some sort of street cred with the hardkore community. Thats all.
It's like temping at a job in an accounting firm, where all you did was open letters, but you put on your resume that you performed various clerical duties related to accounting.

DraQ

Arcane
It's not that Bethseda devs don't deserve to be continuously slapped silly for Oblivion alone, till the improbable happens and they make TES as it should be - combining all the good stuff from DF and MW with much much more - it's just that it was fucking low.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Major_Blackhart said:
Eh, Shit happens.

Whaddya guys want from me?! I'm just a MAN! And he was a representative of bethesduh. What should I have done? Why would posting here have done anything at all? They never took our advice for it. Not one iota. All posting here did was try to give them some sort of street cred with the hardkore community. Thats all.
It's like temping at a job in an accounting firm, where all you did was open letters, but you put on your resume that you performed various clerical duties related to accounting.

Fuck those self-important assholes and fuck those who protect them. You did the right thing. They should be shaken away from their little world of petty convictions and shitty self-interested morals. Rape is the answer. You are a moral man.

I suddenly remembered that the decline of the codex had something to do with not having anything new to say on rpgs anymore. New subject would come up, old members would go 'same old shit all over again' and then the memes and one liners began. Good times. If you think about it, this means the Codex evolved to a point where its main themes / the points it defended became old habit. There's not any more new members that come out clueless out of the wood posting and getting slapped for it, you just need to lurk a while to get the feeling of this place. The problem is that most of the new members don't have an articulate point of view on the subject, they just picked up the old habits and they never worked for it (by articulating all this bullshit about rpgs), so you have morons like skyway trying to be some kind of throwback to the days of articulate discussion but failing miserably at it. So that's where the decline is in a way, but fuck it, this place is a cesspool and MCA's girlfriend should get raped too, because I'm edgy that way and this is the new shit, fuck yeah

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Serious_Business said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Eh, Shit happens.

Fuck those self-important assholes and fuck those who protect them. You did the right thing. They should be shaken away from their little world of petty convictions and shitty self-interested morals. Rape is the answer. You are a moral man.

I suddenly remembered that the decline of the codex had something to do with not having anything new to say on rpgs anymore. New subject would come up, old members would go 'same old shit all over again' and then the memes and one liners began. Good times. If you think about it, this means the Codex evolved to a point where its main themes / the points it defended became old habit. There's not any more new members that come out clueless out of the wood posting and getting slapped for it, you just need to lurk a while to get the feeling of this place. The problem is that most of the new members don't have an articulate point of view on the subject, they just picked up the old habits and they never worked for it (by articulating all this bullshit about rpgs), so you have morons like skyway trying to be some kind of throwback to the days of articulate discussion but failing miserably at it. So that's where the decline is in a way, but fuck it, this place is a cesspool and MCA's girlfriend should get raped too, because I'm edgy that way and this is the new shit, fuck yeah

Hey! I have a fan!

DraQ

Arcane
Major_Blackhart said:
Serious_Business said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Eh, Shit happens.

Hey! I have a fan!
You can feel cool now.

Melcar said:
Fuck yeah.
druggie.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom