Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah - I was talking about how developers approach the mercenary gamestyle. I haven't bothered with HBS' Battletech game (although I threw a bit of money at them to Kickstart it) but by now they should be giving you the option to take a pay cut for full salvage rights. MW3 did it better even without a market because I always knew I'd salvage a mech with a headshot - then someone probably decided it made the games too easy - which it did with Mechcommander 2, and it all got a bit weird.

The Salvage rights part was one of the better bits of HBS Battletech. You negotiated before hand about salvage vs cash. You could also give up some(or most) of both to get in good with the House offering the contracts so you could get access to the good stuff in their markets and better contracts bonuses from them down the line.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If they don't release an update until the end of the year, it means the game is canceled.

I hope the Grand Strategy layer is more MW2M and less BT. Fuck that game's illusion of choice. Give me rival factions that I can influence through taking high paying missions. Where the storyline instead of been this set Sci Fi rote with space muslims we have self contained chains of missions where your actions matter.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I am not a fan of visualizing autocannons as single shot weapons, but I can dig buildings that can be walked through and have a modicum of dynamic damage to them rather than total collapse.

PorkBarrellGuy

Personally I am not a fan of visualizing autocannons as single shot weapons, but I can dig buildings that can be walked through and have a modicum of dynamic damage to them rather than total collapse.

Autocannons are absolutely not supposed to be single-shot weapons. This has been a playerbase gripe (and balancing issue) of PGI's doing in MWO for some time now. The fact that they're carrying that over to MW5 makes me even LESS enthused about its prospects - they're simply copypasting EVERYTHING THEY CAN from MWO into MW5.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

And here comes tiered pre-order editions, bundled with MW Online items
dollars.png
dollars.png
dollars.png
: https://mw5mercs.com/

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Standard Community Edition ($49.99)
  • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Content:
    • One digital copy of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
    • Digital Game Manual
    • ‘Instant Action’ Closed Beta Access with Co-Op support (estimated availability early August 2019)
    • Digital Soundtrack
    • Access to the Official MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Discord Server
    • Access to Bi-Monthly AMAs
    • Early Access to the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Mod Maker Discord Channel
  • Bonus MechWarrior Online Content:
    • Marauder II Assault ‘Mech Standard Edition Pre-Order ($20 USD value)
    • 12,000 MC ($49.99 USD value)
      • Original MechWarrior Online Founder accounts get double the amount of MC
    • 30 days Active Premium Time ($12 USD value)
    • 72,800 GXP & 4.1 Million C-Bills (enough to cover 91 skill points)
    • MW5-themed Title, Badge, Decal, Cockpit standing Item, Warhorn item, Hanging Cockpit Item
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Collector's Community Edition ($79.99)

Includes All Standard Community Edition Items (with changes to amounts in currency, etc. below)
    • Exclusive MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries “Chloe’s Cavaliers” Legendary Pattern
    • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Desktop Pack
    • Marauder II Assault ‘Mech Collector’s Edition Pre-Order ($40 USD value)
    • 20,000 MC ($79.99 USD value)
    • 60 days Active Premium Time ($24.00 USD value)
    • 145,600 GXP & 8.2 Million C-Bills (enough to convert 182 skill points)
    • 2 MW5-themed Titles, Badges, Decals and 3 Cockpit Standing Items, Warhorn items and Hanging Cockpit Items
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Collector's Community Edition ($119.99)

Includes All Standard & Collector's Community Edition Items (with changes to amounts in currency, etc. below)
    • Exclusive MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries “Interstellar Expeditions” Legendary Pattern
    • Digital Technical BattleMech Manual
    • Marauder II Assault ‘Mech Ultimate Edition Pre-Order ($70 USD value)
    • 30,000 MC ($119.99 USD value)
    • 90 days Active Premium Time ($36 USD value)
    • 291,200 GXP & 16.4 Million C-Bills (enough to convert 364 skill points)
    • 3 MW5-themed Titles, Badges, Decals and 9 Cockpit Standing Items, Warhorn items and Hanging Cockpit Items

Vaarna_Aarne

Still not a fan of single-shot presentation autocannons.

Also, very cheeky of them to try and rope people into MWO with their bonuses.

Cael

Arcane
Considering that they are called AUTOcannons, single shot is not only stupid but downright proves that the fuckers don't know what they are on about.

PorkBarrellGuy

Considering that they are called AUTOcannons, single shot is not only stupid but downright proves that the fuckers don't know what they are on about.

What's weird is that they modeled Clan autocannon fire more or less correctly. It's only the IS ACs that do that single shot shit. From closed beta people were asking "wtf why did you do this" and later after Clans dropped it became an actual balance issue because the single shot allowed IS players to frontload damage more effectively/spread damage less than the multishot burst Clan stuff did.

What's funnier is that they're too retarded to figure out ammo switching mechanics so they gave Clan players Clan Standard ACs (which do not exist in lore) to compensate for non-switching LBX ACs. It's really a shame they're so incompetent at handling balance, mechanics, etc. because they have an insanely dedicated community and a (IMO) decent concept artist.

Cael

Arcane

What's weird is that they modeled Clan autocannon fire more or less correctly. It's only the IS ACs that do that single shot shit. From closed beta people were asking "wtf why did you do this" and later after Clans dropped it became an actual balance issue because the single shot allowed IS players to frontload damage more effectively/spread damage less than the multishot burst Clan stuff did.

What's funnier is that they're too retarded to figure out ammo switching mechanics so they gave Clan players Clan Standard ACs (which do not exist in lore) to compensate for non-switching LBX ACs. It's really a shame they're so incompetent at handling balance, mechanics, etc. because they have an insanely dedicated community and a (IMO) decent concept artist.
I don't like the concept artist. None of his models look anything like the originals. Mind you, the Microshite MW4 started the decline. Their Vulture/Mad Dog looks like absolute shite compared to the original, which, ironically, all BTech games up until then, incuding the Mechcommanders, got right.

PorkBarrellGuy

I don't like the concept artist. None of his models look anything like the originals. Mind you, the Microshite MW4 started the decline. Their Vulture/Mad Dog looks like absolute shite compared to the original, which, ironically, all BTech games up until then, incuding the Mechcommanders, got right.
Some of the originals were pretty homely or silly looking imo. I like the nu-Centurion and the reseens for the most part. The ones I don't like are some of the Clan omnis (Mad Cat/timby looks bloated, and dire wolf/daishi is fat as fuck)

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

this game will be shit

As someone who played hundreds of hours of MW 3, I say it doesn't look too bad. Just stomping around in a mech will be entertaining enough for me to buy it - on sale.

But the first thing I'll do is deactivate Music and voices. Good Lord.

Vaarna_Aarne

To me the thing that makes it worth the buy even if MW (even assuming it'd be the best MW yet) isn't the best you could get in the mech sim genre, is the promised co-op features. That's something that can give a lot of mileage to a game like this.

Using the hangar as a lobby is a nice touch.

PorkBarrellGuy

I'm not optimistic about MW5 Mercs' future but I buckled and preordered to get into closed beta. We'll see how it shakes out. We'll also see if PGI pays fucking attention when their beta testers point out shit that needs to be changed.

PorkBarrellGuy

To a starving man, a bread crust can be a smorgasbord.

Though, honestly if there's one group of idiots that can find a way to make stompy robits unfun it would probably be Piranha. I really would settle for something that was at least entertaining and can be played SP, and since there's apparently NEVER going to be GOG versions of the older Mechwarriors with relevant fixes for modern computers, MW5M is presumably that bread crust.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, they put "in game footage" there onto the trailer but I don't think anyone bought that.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
WTF is happening with this game?

Is this shit ever going to have some proper updates?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom