Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The guy that voiceacted Adam Jensen in Deus Ex is now voiceacting in MW5:
Mercenaries after Battletech.
I guess he's a fan of the franchise.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I cucked out and got MW5, its mediocre. I probably wouldn't be playing it if it wasnt for me REALLY liking mecha and this sort of military sf "sim" genre, it's not like there are many games of this kind available currently. The basics of Combat and controlling your mech are cool but the layer of gameplay built on top if it sucks ass. The missions are boring thanks to being created by some generator (the fucktarded AI and things like spawning baddies right in front of you also helps to increase the overall suckage). The maps are also dull and uninteresting (also made by some generator or designed to a template for these missions idk). They didn't really do anything new or different enough to give the game some coolness from the novelty factor and they managed to fuck up the thing that was good in the previous games. All they had to do was to copy the campain structure and mission design philosophy from MW4 Mercenaries and this would be a cool game. MW5 is inferior to it in every way except visuals. Another exaple of this stupid modern quantity over quality design, you NEED to have 9000000 hours of gameplay in the current year or spergs will be angry about "lack of content" or some shit. It should be called 'meh' warrior.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
What a great game.

I had a mission where enemies were spawned so close, they were already smacking me in the introductory scene of the lance.

Oh and at reputation lv.6, when you get to Capellan Confederation, even the goddamn story missions are random generated trash, they just have some more voiced fluff sprinkled over them.

Black

Arcane
It's amazing that MW2 managed to do what MW5 fails over 20 years ago, and so did MW4 with its Mercenaries xpack. It takes raw talent to have: a working game engine and base game (MWO), a showcase how it should be done (MW2 and 4) and epic money ($$$) and still fucking fail so miserably. Hats off to PGI.
Also fuck Microsoft for giving out their MW licence to literal talentless nobodies.

Last edited:

Norfleet

So, what, they couldn't just change the enemy spawn distance to be OUTSIDE sensor range?

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
So, what, they couldn't just change the enemy spawn distance to be OUTSIDE sensor range?
It's the tip of the iceberg. Not only the random generation parameters need tweaking, to be even somewhat serviceable, the entire generation proces will require to add several steps to add actual variety, because at this point, virtually every mission is 15 minutes of fighting enemy waves. Mission types slightly change win & lose conditions, but that's it. Map generation is also trash, because it seems the unitary terrain cell is just too large, and later on (when missions require doing the same thing, like destroying a building, multiple times...), objectives spawn near one another (spawning separate enemy waves at once...), not to mention that traversing the entire map is a 2 minute walk.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So let's take a look at the official MW5 Discord

fvtBbEZ.jpg

randir14

Augur
The new patch is out. It claims to improve the enemy spawning, but I don't notice a difference after a few missions. Still getting swarmed by enemies out of nowhere.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
If fixing something as trivial as spawn range is a difficulty, then the mission generation is far from being done into something remotely acceptable.
Come on now, you know what to expect, it's never going to be acceptable.
But hey, great news! Modders might eventually fix it for free!

upload_2019-12-18_14-44-18.png

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
and because of those retards we'll probably never see another mechwarrior.

I see that you're butthurt, but you're not butthurt enough. Let me help you with this. Here's a screenshot of someone trying to sum up their latest developer stream.

https://i.imgur.com/zVvlsCU.jpg

"Merc loop" was always the focus of the game Story wasn't a major factor until the last year of production last 6 months they had a "additional narrative designer" come in
They really believed that randomly generated missions will be enough.

Last edited:
words.
even no man's sky has had countless additions and it's a completely different game than at launch, but still sucks. i can't see mw5 being fixed by these people.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
"Merc loop" was always the focus of the game Story wasn't a major factor until the last year of production last 6 months they had a "additional narrative designer" come in
LOOP...wow that is really exciting, repeating some loop like a drone. Fucking lol at this kind of game design.

Cael

Arcane
LOOP...wow that is really exciting, repeating some loop like a drone. Fucking lol at this kind of game design.
What's really funny here is how barebones it is. If that was always the focus why make it a such a shitshow?
I'm be worried that a mega-franchise like MW has devolved into what is basically arena combat with random maps. Doesn't speak well for the entire genre...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom